Epyon

Pirates of the Realms

Calendriel clambered back aboard the larger ship with ease, even as her loose-fitting garments trailed behind her in the wind.

"Cap!" she called to draw Zakknyr's attention before tossing him the tube she'd found. Keeping an eye on the Drow - she was still curious about the tube's contents even if she'd turned it over - she made her way to the side of the vessel. She felt a pang of unease as she turned her attention to the far horizon. Something didn't quite feel right. Then again, it might just be the effect of being stuck in the middle of the ocean with a Dark Elf...

((Okay, I'm back! So sorry for my absence and even more so if I'm at loss at times and thus make mistakes; feel absolutely free to poke me and point me at those mishaps so I can correct them!))

Kaia was busy tending to the men, healing wounds as quickly as she could, focusing on the most lethal first. She knew she wouldn't have the energy to completely help them, but at least they would stop from bleeding to death. A couple of the kitchen boys were boiling rags and helping her out. Although they had suffered a few losses and more wounded, Kaia was moderately satisfied with their outcome - as would Briagh be, too.

"Water! Please, give me water!" one of the men croaked as Kaia put her bloodied hands on his thigh, muttering healing chants and drawing her divine power from Istishia.

"You will get water if you stay still and shut up," Kaia rasped between her chants and the man went silent, his chest heaving as the wound started knitting itself. Without a word, the cleric gave him a water sac and helped him to gulp a few mouthfuls down before the next man demanded her attention.

When her most immediate work was done, Kaia sat down on a chair and ate a few poor mouthfuls of dry bread, trying to get her strength back. Her robes were blood-splattered as were her hands - but she hadn't lost a single man, for which she was proud. Quick footsteps came down as one of the crew members stormed into the healing area, apparently looking for her.

"A ship was seen! Y'better come an' look, cleric! 'Cuz we gon' get som' company!" he said almost breathlessly, excitement shining from his eyes, but it soon turned to fear when Kaia whirled around.

"What?!" she snarled silently and stormed past him. They had just raided a ship, she had tended to the wounded, and now they were going to fight? What in the name of the sea was Briagh thinking? That stone-head was probably yammering about glory and gold for all she knew, but the ship was damaged and men were hurt. More would certainly get hurt and she wasn't in the condition to help them much.

Back on the deck, Kaia took a quick look around and saw the men preparing for battle - and even moreso worrying was the fact that they were going the wrong direction. As the angry, blood-splattered cleric stomped past the deck, muttering curses all the while, her disbelief grew. What was going on?

"Briagh!" Kaia called out to the captain and stood firm before him and Trigan. Taking a few deep breaths and putting her hands on her hips she gave a stern look to the men, knowing they were silently laughing at the sight of a young human woman huffing and puffing before them.

"Istishia give me strength, why are we going back? Or not back but certainly not into the direction we were supposed to go!"

"Calm yourself! Your Captain knows what he's doing," Trigan snorted and shook his head at Kaia. The cleric bristled and focused her stormy gaze at the captain.

"The ship is damaged and I'm in no condition to heal more men, not to even speak of getting some aid from the sea if things go dirty. Do we even know what type of a ship they have? They might easily overtake us for all we know and right now were just making it easier for them to catch us!" she emphasized her arguments by pointing aggressively towards the sea. Kaia then took a deep breath and glared at the men.

"The final decision is, of course, yours. My advice has been poor earlier and it might be again; I do not know. I will fight and heal if you order me to do so, but there's a limit. We really aren't in the best condition if they are Hunters," Kaia finished and turned her gaze back to the sea, searching the horizon, eyes shifting uneasily. The sea felt... different.

Edited by Gildraug

When the boarding party with Grimwald and Calendriel departed the wrecked schooner with the survivors. It did not go unnoticed when the three survivors separated themselves from their rescuers. It made the party roll their eyes and murmurs of their ignorance and stupidity flew freely among them. Even if they were from the most secure city, any fool would know the difference between a giant and a really big human. Although, with Grimwald's tendency to resort to anger and violence. It could be written off as an honest mistake, without taking into consideration that they had repeatedly try to reassure the trio that Grimwald was not a giant. But since they still maintain their belief that Grimwald is a giant, they all just shake their heads at just how daft or, more appropriately, how ignorant some prove to be.

---

The ride back to the Shadow of Night proved to be quiet for Zaknayrr's group. The merchant they found was shaken and reasonably so, thus Zaknayrr kept a reassuring hand on his shoulder. When the hull of their longboat tapped against the windjammer, the merchant went up first, followed closely by Aireia, Zaknayrr followed after and his feet just barely touched the deck beside her when she turned her head to look for him as she asked her question.

"Will we b-be able to ca-catch them, Captain?"

Zaknayrr did not need to think about his answer. "Unless they have a windjammer and the wind is in their favor, whether natural or arcane, we will catch up to them. I am confident in this," he replies. He looked at the other side of the deck where the other group came up, with three tough looking fellows coming up first. He began to wave over Calendriel when she tossed the tube to him. He caught it and examined it, it had a seal that he didn't immediately recognize, although he had a hunch that they could find the answer if they talked to the merchant. He waved Calendriel over once again, doing the same for Grimwald once he vaults over. More than anything, he just wanted to know what happened while they checked the schooner. A report. While some of the crew hoisted the longboats back into their positions, the others prepared to shove off, with Dangan barking orders as he went.

====

High above them, in the crows nest, Harbrom Micanty scanned the horizon for any sign of an approaching pirate ship. He was about to lower the spyglass to rest his eyes before he spotted the prow of a ship cutting through the waves. He scanned the ship quickly, looking at the mast first, he found no flag belonging to a city. "Unknown vessel dead ahead! Crossing our starboard bow!" he calls out, ringing a bell that serves as an alarm.

As Grimwald easily vaulted over the railing onto the deck, landing surprisingly softly for such a large individual, he noticed the Captain motioning him and Calendriel over. Probably for a debriefing of sorts.

Good, I was planning on giving him a report anyway he thought.

He was curious to see what the tube was all about, but he decided to start with the report first.

"So, Captain. Not much to report. There was a wreck, not much left. Three men challenged us, because they didn't like the way I looked. We told them to stand down several times. It came to a few blows. Nobody got hurt, they got the message and decided they wanted to come with us rather than await the mercy of the sea goddess. We didn't really get a chance to talk to them and ask them what happened, as they didn't want to talk."

He gave the Drow a knowing look and added: "If they don't like the looks of me, they must be outright scared when they see you. No offense, Captain. Just a heads-up."

=====

When the bell started tolling, Grimwald was quickly infused with the rush of battle lust.

This isn't over yet! Good! he thought, excited by the prospect.

And he took up an advantageous position, readying his weapons for a possible skirmish.

Edited by Biologist

(OOC: It's been a little busy. I'll get a personal flag up tonight, hopefully if nothing stops meXD

I plan to make a small graphic hence waiting)

Ninafer felt the blood rushing through her veins and heard the sound in her ears. This was what she liked. The uncertainty she could distract herself in.

"Unknown ship in sight!" A lookout shouted.

Even better, a good fight. A fight would cause her to not think on things too much.

She signaled for the Raging Raven to slow down slightly to allow her a better chance at winning the fight.

"Check for any sign of Zaknayrr." Ninafer said, not feeling the need to explain.

Having to battle and protect one ship was much different than focusing on two ships. It provided more safety, in her mind, but also incurred more complications.

Edited by Jashypoo

[[Just a note: Kaia is still First Mate of Briagh's crew. I just had Trigan fill in for the last post because I didn't know if Gil was returning or not.]]

Aireia nodded slowly. She would have to take his word on the fact that he was more experienced than she. As Calendriel tossed a strange bottle at Zaknayrr, the Drow waved the young Elf and the Giant-kin closer. The merchant beside her sucked in his breath and she noticed his eyes widening slightly; they were focused on the bottle.

"Unknown vessel dead ahead! Crossing our starboard bow!"

The Elf jerked her gaze over and upward, spying the crew member in the crow's nest. Quickly, she returned her attention to the captain and frowned. More was happening in the few moments since their arrival than possibly expected. Were they ready for contingencies? It seemed they would have to be. "Orders, Captain?"

~~~~

Kaia's voice reached Briagh's ears before she popped into his field of vision. The poor lass looked a downright terror after all the work she'd been doing. A pang of guilt stabbed the Dwarf's chest at needlessly overworking her. And, though she attempted to conceal it by deferring to his leadership, Briagh knew quite well how displeased she was. "Lass, you know me better than that," he remarked once everyone else had moved to their positions.

Shifting closer to the young woman, he gave her a concerned grin. "That ship's goin' ta catch up with us anyways - don't matter who they are. If they be hunters, I can hopefully dull their blades enough with the woman and child currently locked up in my quarters. If they be not enemies, then we'll happily move on our merry way as planned." Scratching his chin through his beard, the Dwarf sighed. "I'd rather assume they're enemies and approach gently than flee. With any luck, they haven't identified this ship and don't know who we are. Of course, if they ask to board, I'd have to let them on to avoid tension based on suspicions. But, we're pirates. If they can't tell that about us on an initial glance, they'll certainly see it on the second."

He raked his gaze across the ship and busy crew. "I know this crew and this ship can't handle another major fight so soon. We'll just have to tread carefully for the moment."

"Second ship spotted! Speeds appear slower than the first!"

Briagh frowned deeply, brow furrowing. That certainly complicated things. A lot. A strained chuckle left his lips. "We're really pushing Lady Luck today," he remarked dryly. Cupping his hand around his mouth, he called up, "How long until contact with the first ship?"

"Maybe six minutes! At the most!" Farly replied.

Tugging on his beard anxiously, Briagh muttered a few curses and prayers beneath his breath. "Alright, lass! Let's get things ready! We've got company to look good for so get yerself all prettied up, eh?" He winked at her, doing his best to conceal the stress mounting in the back of his mind.

(Hopefully the bit of inactivity can be forgiven by this post!)

Zaknayrr watched when Grimwald walked over before giving his report, following the sudden intake of breath of the merchant when he caught the bottle from Calendriel. Interesting, this bottle holds importance to the man. I wonder what's inside?

"So, Captain. Not much to report. There was a wreck, not much left. Three men challenged us, because they didn't like the way I looked. We told them to stand down several times. It came to a few blows. Nobody got hurt, they got the message and decided they wanted to come with us rather than await the mercy of the sea goddess. We didn't really get a chance to talk to them and ask them what happened, as they didn't want to talk." He was curious when Grimwald seemed to pause and give him a look before finishing. "If they don't like the looks of me, they must be outright scared when they see you. No offense, Captain. Just a heads-up."

"I thank you for the report and your words, Grimwald," he replies with a nod. "But I assure you, I have grown accustomed to the cold greetings I receive because of the color of my skin and the reputation of my kin. A reputation that, admittedly, is well earned and even deserved. Go and rest for a moment. I feel that our quarry is nearby, we will need your strength and weapons soon enough."

With that, Zaknayrr motioned Aireia and the merchant to his quarters. They would need to discuss what was in the sealed bottle if he is to determine why they were attacked. Would it be that easy? Likely not, but he had to cover anything that could be likely before ruling it as just another random attack.

"Unknown vessel dead ahead! Crossing our starboard bow!" came the call from Mister Micanty as he rang the bell.

Well, looks like this is going to have to wait, he thought. No matter then, all things in due time. Zaknayrr went to the right of the ship, pulling out his spyglass and bringing it to his eye as he did so. He spotted the ship quickly and quickly scanned it, it was a brigantine if he wasn't mistaken and he then found the name. Another look about it showed him the damage that the ship sustained. Now what could that be from, I wonder? "Sailor, does the name Stormlight trigger any recollection?"

The sailor pauses, searching his brain for a moment. "Yes, sir. That is the ship that attacked us!"

"Orders, Captain?" comes the question from Aireia.

"Full cover! Get us after that vessel now!" comes the order from Zaknayrr.

"Ye heard 'im, get to it!" comes the accompanying yells from Dangan. Luckily, thanks to his earlier preparations, the men were already close to the restraints that kept the sails tied away. Those were quickly released, allowing the sails to unfurl and catch the wind. The triangular sails began the initial movement that allowed the helmsman to turn the ship and by that time, the windjammer's square sails to jam the wind and propel it to speed towards their fleeing foe.

Zaknayrr found it odd that the captain of the brigantine would think that he could outrun his windjammer, no ship except any of the other windjammers could hope to stay ahead of the Shadow of Night unless he was more doing it for show. But that still didn't make any sense to him. They would be abreast of the brigantine within two minutes at least. "Dangan, have our forward ballista fire a flaming bolt, let's see how far away they are from us."

"Aye, Captain," Dangan replies as he heads towards the bow spirit where the ballista is located. He leans down, calling to the three men crew assigned to it. "Oy! Captain wants a flare launched at that ship."

"Right!" replies the crew chief as he sets a bolt that has the head covered in pitch which he lit almost immediately when the ballista was primed. "Launch!" He said, prompting one of the others to release the mechanism. The flaming bolt flew forward with tremendous speed, arcing up before landing just short and to the right of the fleeing brigantine. "Adjust down, two notches, left one," the chief said, looking up to Dangan with a nod.

The ship gradually gained speed before it was cutting through the water like a bolt of lightning in the night sky. When the ballista launched it's bolt, the archers lined themselves along the bow and port side of the ship, checking their bows and the draws of their bowstrings, they then select their arrows, picking the ones that'll ensure a straighter draw and a truer aim. Behind them were the crack team of warriors that made up a good majority of the Shadow of Night's crew. This show of force is useful as both a fear tactic and pragmatically to ensure that they would not be caught by a surprise attack. If need be, the archers could retreat through the first ranks of warriors who were equipped with tower shields. A couple of magi also stood by on the upper deck by the helm. Zaknayrr watched as they neared the brigantine. He didn't want to use one of the lightning spells he prayed for, but they would need to stop the brigantine somehow. But, perhaps the mere sight of his battle-ready crew and the flaming bolt would be enough to coax the brigantine to a halt.

Edited by Epyon

(Edit: I swear I'll get this right one of these daysXD)

This was it. This was a fight. A distraction.

The sight of her crew didn't upset her as they were very well trained. Ninafer didn't like to work with a crew that didn't know what to do. She liked having as few things to worry about during battle as possible.

One or two of the crew nodded to her, paying her respects, and she nodded back. She didn't know if they truly respect her, but that didn't matter as long as they continued to obey her orders.

The upcoming fight would happen in fifteen to twenty minutes.

Enough time for the orders to be followed. The more experienced members of her crew rushed the new ones into the correct order of things. Ninafer heard say that some of her crew thought her ways odd, but she thought those thing were said out of fear of her Drow heritage.

She would never let her Drow heritage take over. Not completely, not when she knew what was influencing her.

Always she felt the constant tug of her Elf and Drow sides. Sometimes she felt that the Elves were right to hate her. Elves and Drows should never have children.

But she would never admit others were right about that. She would never admit her weaknesses to those who may abuse them.

Ninafer put her hands on either side of her body as she took time to plan things out. She knew her crew would disagree with her going to attack anything unknown, but that's how she liked it.

Uncertainty was a drug at times.

If the ship turned out to be good people, they would know not to mess with her. Hopefully.

She never asked what people thought of her.

Ninafer looked up to her ship's flag and judged the wind by that and by the feeling she had on her skin.

At this point in time, like others, she felt scared of how excited she was to show her power. Hopefully she wouldn't do something that would get her killed this time.

Ninafer concentrated on spells that would help her win the fight.

Edited by Jashypoo

Calendriel raised an eyebrow when the merchant sucked in his breath at the sight of the bottle, then grinned when she saw Aireia and Zaknyrr do the same. Looks like there'd be questions later. Good. Questions made the world interesting. Her grin fell when the captain motioned the merchant to his quarters. Well boo. Maybe she could eavesdrop? Or cast a spell that improved her hearing? She was still considering her options when the look-out rung.

Calendriel was on the front line as the Shadow rushed after its foe. It wasn't until she felt the archer behind her hesitate as he nocked his arrow, that she fell back. Right, humans. She needed to stay behind their archers or she'd block their shot. Circling behind the men, she made her way to Aireia. She'd seen her fellow elf handle a bow: she could get in front of the archer - and protect her - *without* taking an arrow from friendly fire.

She started pacing as the distance narrowed. Her swords glistened gold and silver in the sunlight, and Calendriel's body hummed with building power as she prepared for the fight. She lived for this. She looked at Grimwald at her side. And so did he. She felt like a caged tiger waiting to be unleashed.

((Cal will cast protective spells on herself and Grimwald before they get within reach of archers. On Aireia too if she looks to need it, though Cal's initial instinct will be to assume the archer has herself covered.))

As expected, the unknown ship increased their speed. In only a matter of minutes, contact would be made. Frowning, Briagh turned his ship, moving away from the strange vessel as a flaming bolt was launched from one of their ballistas. Instantly, his crew responded. Archers and the few mages under his command took up battle stations. No one retaliated though, waiting for his order. The Dwarf brought his ship back into line with the other vessel, facing the other way but slowed to a drift. Inhaling deeply, the Dwarf leaned against the wheel, feigning ease. "Oi! Who be the one to order a shot at me ship!" he called. "Not t' pleased wit tha' act o' aggression!"

"Cap'n. Contact with second ship in ten minutes."

Briagh glanced at the man who had shuffled up to him, carrying Farly's message. Sniffing with displeasure, the Shield Dwarf nodded once, dismissing the man with a wave. Pushing away from the ship's wheel, Briagh stepped down to the main deck. As he moved, he motioned to his crew to lay down their defensive stances. "No one's attackin'... I hope," he remarked loudly with a glance at the other ship. "We're all friends 'ere, aye?"

For a moment, Zaknayrr wasn't certain if their pirate would've slowed. Part of his mind wish they would and another part -actually three quarters- of his mind wanted them to provide a chase. But as they gained speed and bared down on them, he saw the ship turn away and come back around so when the ships slowed to a crawl, they were board to board just facing opposite directions. A trio of regular sailors from his crew threw mooring lines to the pirates. All the while, his battle-ready crew members stared down their opposition. The magi, meanwhile, prepared both offensive and defensive spells that they would need in case they needed to make a getaway or combat other magi.

Zaknayrr was surprised when he spotted a dwarf at the helm of the vessel and at the ease with which he projected. Although, he had a fairly good idea that the dwarf was anything but calm then he called to them. "Oi! Who be the one to order a shot at me ship!" he called. "Not t' pleased wit tha' act o' aggression!"

At that, Zaknayrr had to suppress a chuckle. He figured the pirate didn't know that they know just who he is. He watched as a man walked up to the dwarf and whisper something before the dwarf nodded and waved him away. As the dwarf stepped to the main deck, the twenty five Diamondcrusher dwarves -Dangan included- saw just who their opponent was. Dangan nearly began yelling profanities at the other dwarf but instead he just began muttering curses about the "damned orc-brained fool." His tirade ended when the opposing dwarf spoke once again.

"No one's attackin'... I hope," the dwarf remarked loudly with a glance at the other ship. "We're all friends 'ere, aye?" the dwarf then began motioning for his crew to stand down it seemed. But Zaknayrr would give no such order. Let the dwarf think they were in the clear for as long as it took him to realize the truth. He similarly walked to stand in the middle of the deck, facing his adversary. "I don't know about the possibility of friendship, dwarf. You have no flag to identify your home port and I have news most interesting concerning you and your ship. I take it this is your ship?"

Grimwald stood on deck, taking up position next to Calendriel. Their travels - and the troubles they had fought together - had resulted in a well honed tactic. They knew exactly what to expect from each other.

The Elf had drawn her two swords, pacing as she usually did just before a fight. And he knew she was conjuring up the magical energies she had mastered, making the two of them an unstoppable fighting team.

Grimwald prepared in his own way: standing securely on the rolling deck, menacingly flexing his muscles and joints to warm them up and make them supple, making sure he was ready to spring into action in a heart beat.

He grinned broadly. He loved a good fight and this was looking to be a great one after the days spent at sea, helping the sailors with their duties.

The enemy captain spoke up. Then their captain spoke up, challenging the enemy. And not standing down. Grimwald stoically waited for the pleasantries to finish and for the inevitable command to attack, all the while appraising the crew on the other ship to get a glimpse of their strengths and weaknesses.

If he had learned anything in his years as a fighter, it was to be prepared...

Edited by Biologist

Briagh eyed the three men that tossed over mooring lines, a frown hidden by his facial hair. Glancing in the direction of the soon-to-arrive vessel, the Dwarf scratched his beard. "Pardon me caution," he started, moving towards the mooring lines. "But I'm only goin' t' tie a single line." Doing as he said, Briagh left the other two lines to remain untied, much preferring an easy getaway should things turn sour with the arrival of the third ship. "Me ship's not in the best state so I hope ye can understan' me trepidation since ano'her ship's approachin'."

Scratching his beard again, he examined the man that came into his line of sight, marking himself the captain. Green eyes narrowing, Briagh lifted his chin. Scowling, he spat at the boards of his deck, a snarl rising from his throat. "Drow filth! Ya think I'll divulge to ya whence we hail? I don' care who ye be - I'll not deal wit' the lot of ya!" Quickly, he untied the mooring line he'd attached moments ago and turned on his heel, gesturing for the ship to be set into motion. "We be leavin'!" he ordered, sending his crew to their stations.

If there was one Drow on that ship, there was surely more. They were likely renegades from the Underdark but only the gods could know why any of Lolth's evil worshipers ever made their way onto the surface. The thought worried Briagh greatly, however. Drow were ruthless beasts and foes to be wary of at all times. The Shield Dwarf swore under his breath, muttering an anxious plea to Valkur and Umberlee alike.

He couldn't chance a fight with Drows nor let the mother and child into their bloody hands. The Gods knew what might happen if the Drow captain even learned of the pair! Briagh snorted, gaze hardening. Over his dead body would anything happen.

The Stormlight was moving, working to pick up speed as its sails were quickly lowered to catch the wind. They wouldn't be able to outpace the Windjammer in the long-run, but Briagh knew that having to turn around would slow the other ship just enough. They could slip away and reach Orlumbar before the Windjammer caught them; it wasn't so far away. Briagh hoped to use the island as a means to deter any ideas of the other ship pursuing; the risks of a treacherous harbor might be a good motivator. If he could, Briagh wanted to make back to Mintarn.

"Pardon me caution," he started, moving towards the mooring lines. "But I'm only goin' t' tie a single line." Doing as he said, Briagh left the other two lines to remain untied, much preferring an easy getaway should things turn sour with the arrival of the third ship. "Me ship's not in the best state so I hope ye can understan' me trepidation since ano'her ship's approachin'."

Zaknayrr could understand were the dwarf the captain of a regular merchant vessel. But this dwarf was not, he was pirate. A fact that the dwarf thought was undiscovered. As he stepped into view, the reaction was exactly what he expected.

"Drow filth! Ya think I'll divulge to ya whence we hail? I don' care who ye be - I'll not deal wit' the lot of ya!" Quickly, he untied the mooring line he'd attached moments ago and turned on his heel, gesturing for the ship to be set into motion. "We be leavin'!" he ordered, sending his crew to their stations.

"Then you will be taken to Waterdeep in chains! Attack!" Zaknayrr outlined the dwarf and a few of his archers in blue flames, faerie fire as it was called, harmless but the sight of flames sprouting from no where would cause your regular human and average dwarf to slip into terrified screams. Faerie fire was one of the spells inherent to the drow, with the other being the ability to conjure globes of impenetrable darkness. However, he would not send out these just yet. Instead, he signaled his magi to begin their attacks. Two bolts of lightning arced towards the main mast of the brigantine, this was also the archers cue to launch, arrows were pulled back and released in a small black cloud of death, racing to find their marks. Once their arrows left their bows, the archers quickly launched a second volley before retreating behind the tower shields of their comrades.

The dwarf has cast his lot, so now they must cast theirs. The ship coming upon them had to wait, pirates had to be dealt with here and now. When the pirate ship began to move away, they lowered their own sails and brought the ship around. The going was rather slow, but the magi helped shorten the time by casting gusts of wind into the sails. But, it wouldn't matter, the ship was starting to pull away. However, they are just far enough away that the rear ballistae can launch, and launch the did. Another flaming bolt was cast, followed quickly by a bolt with chains flowing from the head. They were aimed at the sails.

At last, the windjammer was turned around through a combination of rudder and wind and the chase was on once more.

Edited by Epyon

With the ships still at range, Calendriel was forced to stay her hand. She had finished casting protective spells on herself and Grimwald, and now moved to enhance her companion's strength and her own agility.

The wind picked up, buffeted by dual sails as the ships drew closer. Calendriel's red braid whipped behind her, and he eyes sparked as she scanned the ranks for the biggest threat she could find. Just a little closer now... She retreated from the railing to behind the line of shields, ready to break through and take a running jump to the opposing vessel at the earliest opportunity.

(Sorry about the long wait.

Got sick and the usual business of my lifeXD

Per usual, feel free to contact me if I need to edit. )

Ninafer breathed in deeply as the wind whipped at her face and looked ahead to judge what to do. Soon there would be no more time for double checking as the battle would be at hand. The moment before battle was always the hardest for her. The moment before the decision of life or death was made.

She smiled when the ship turned direction fleeing from another ship. Zaknayrr's ship a ship she tended to recognize at a glance. Of course that presented another set of problems as now it wasn't just her fighting, it was her teaming up with someone.

It made things both easier and harder at the same time.

"Wait." Ninafer said as she wanted to see how the enemy ship reacted.

She didn't want to make a move that would ruin the battle. She felt weak for preferring to wait.

Concentrating on the magic that coursed through her veins, she was ready to attack at a moment's notice. Her finest fighters, not the finest in the realm, would also be ready to attack at the same speed.

Feeling certain of herself, she yelled out last minute orders to hopefully help survive this fight.

[[i guess Ep's been the only one reading my posts correctly.]]

Briagh scowled when the sound of bolts being loosed whistled through the air, the volley of projectiles striking a magical ward before reaching the ship. The Drow's faerie fire was expected, unsurprising. The Shield Dwarf had been prepared but he knew that the protection wouldn't last long. It lasted long enough though. His ship was out of their range when the ward shattered from the last barrage of ranged attacks. Briagh had ensured he hired some of the best mages, and they had long since proven their lot.

Even now, a pair of them added wind to the sails, propelling the crew faster. The hazardous coast of Orlumbar would soon come into their view but it felt like it couldn't be soon enough. Glancing at the only available mage, Briagh whistled for the man's attention. "Get a cover on us," he growled. The mage nodded and promptly set to work, hurrying to dispel the faerie fire before calling up a layer of fog to consume everything in sight.

[in the mean time on the Shadow of night]

As volley after volley of arrows were sent through the air at the fleeing ship, the fighters who specialized in melee waited impatiently for the ship to close the distance to their quarry. As the sailors shouted their Aye-Aye’s to their bosun, an incessant jangling of metal armor could be heard as the contingent of dwarves shifted their positions, hefting their axe or sword or hammer, growling under their breath, grumbling curses at the speed of their prey.

Tark, a relatively young dwarf who had not been on a boat long, almost gave voice to his dissent when the captain walked by, but was stopped by his uncle. “Shut yuir mouth, boy. You nay wanna curse the captain, lest yu want ta go walkin’ the plank.” he hissed in an angry whisper. “Save yuir breath for the enemy. An’be quiet!”

Findal, a half elven archer, fired shot after shot at the fleeing ship. The archers signaled each other about the optimal angle of fire to hit the ship and fired their arrows in a volley, darkening the sky momentarily when their bowstrings sung. But their shafts could not penetrate the arcane barrier protecting the ship they were pursuing. “Keep firing on my mark!” the archer-general shouted. “Get us more arrows!” he yelled at a nearby sailor, who was just bringing up a barrel filled with feathery shafts. Findal stretched her shoulders and nocked another arrow, ready to fire on command. The angle had become steeper and steeper. If they reached the 45 degree, their quarry would be out of reach. If only those magical defenses would be broken.

A man clad in blue and grey robes was looking through a spyglass at the other ship. Without taking his eye off the enemy, he stated to a woman standing next to him, clad in similar robes: “As expected, they use magic to make their escape. They are exceptionally well prepared for a merchant vessel.” The woman nodded and said in the same conversational tone: “Our captain was right not to trust this merchant, brother. Alas, we are too far away to counter their magic. Keep spying, maybe you can gather which magic they use, so we can match their arcane advantage.” At that remark, the man resumed his silent vigil…

Zaknayrr had to frown when it was revealed that the dwarf was prepared with a magical ward. Even more so when the dwarf didn't react overtly from his faerie fire. Although, seeing a few of his archers jump overboard was faintly amusing. He pulled out a spyglass and peered through, humming with irritation as he spotted figures in voluminous robes. "Our dwarf friend seems to have magi in his employ," he says with disdain. "They always have to choose the hard way, continue the barrage!" he orders. He saw the air distort weirdly as a bolt from the ballista arced through the air, hesitate somewhat at some distance before breaking through. Unfortunately, they were beyond the range of even the ballistae. He does not want to risk a blind lightning bolt and kill the hostages so he grit his teeth in frustration.

He took notice of the direction that they were running in. If memory serves, they're heading directly to Orlumbar. He's faced with a decision that could affect the lives of the mother and child. If he continues the chase, he runs the risk of dealing with an armed response from Orlumbar's duchy. Ultimately, he's not certain of the reception that they'll receive as a hunter vessel from Waterdeep. But surely they would understand their mission. He could certainly try. First, they must see if they can apprehend their quarry before reaching Orlumbar's waters.

"Archers! Cease fire, cease fire!" he ordered, not listening to the dwarven banter behind him. They would overtake them, he was certain. Until then, he had to hope that nothing would go wrong. He pulled his spyglass out once more and came to the same conclusion that his mage came to. As if on cue, the pirate vessel through up a screen of nearly opaque mist. The dwarf's magi must be skilled. Well so is his. He nodded to his magi and they began casting bolts of fire through the mist, above where the deck would be on the ship. It was mainly for show as much as to burn away the mist, but it was for naught. Just then, the wind picked up and started blowing hard. The gale that was spotted earlier has changed course and was now bearing down on them and it must've grown tremendously in strength. Hail and rain began to pelt them and their ship. Thunder claps roared and boomed around them, loud to the humans and dwarves, near deafening to the elves. A blinding flash of light occurred then and the sound of splitting wood followed by the groaning protest of metal was heard, and then came the snapping of riggings. "What in the Hells!?" came the cry from Dangan.

Just then, one of the deckhands ran up to Zaknayrr and Aireia. "Captain! The forward mast has been struck, we've lost the sails on the bowspirit!" he cried.

Damn it! he cursed. Just then, a few dwarves come over with Dangan at their head. "Captain, the integrity of the mast has been compromised and the mithral braces are hot. We're lucky we have them braced, otherwise we would've lost it," he shouted. The wind was so loud that they needed to yell in order to be heard even if they're right next to each other. Zaknayrr needed to make the call. "Secure the sails that you can! Then get everyone below decks!" he replied. He then pulled out a small whistle and blew into it, the sound was loud and sharp enough to clear the storms, the long note acted as a signal for everyone to prepare the ship to wait out the storm.

"We're leaving them!?" cries the merchant incredulously. "What of the mother and child!?"

Zaknayrr gripped the man's shirt hard enough to rip a few chest hairs and instill the appropriate amount of fear. "They were likely taken because of what you have in this tube. By Corellon's name I will know of what that is! Grimwald! Take them down to the brig, seperate them. Everyone below decks!" He turns to Aireia. "Go to the First Mate's quarters, it's across from my quarters."

The tall man watched with frustration how the enemy - and his chance of a good fight - escaped, aided by magicks and fell weather. He curled his lips in a snarl and gripped his sword hilt until his knuckles were white. Someone was going to pay.

When the captain called out his name to escort the new 'guests' to the brig, he turned on them with a savage grin. He stalked up to them with a grace and agility belying his huge frame, sword in hand. "Right, lords and ladies. Down to the second deck below. No funny moves. Or I *will* kill you."

The tip of his sword pointed aft at a door under the quarterdeck. "Cal!" He called out to his long-time partner, the only one he didn't mistrust, and with a nod of his head indicated for her to lead the way in front of the little group.

They quickly disappeared into the bowels of the ship towards the sizeable brig, making sure no-one would stray off the path Calendriel was taking.

He greeted the jailor and spoke softly with him. "These are to be separated. Captain's orders. Best to treat them well, though."

Grimwald made sure all the people had their own cell, with enough water and food. Satisfied they were 'looked after', he wanted to leave the brig and go to the Captain's quarters, curious to see how this would play out....

"Are you coming to watch the fireworks at the captain's quarters, Cal?" he said as he did not wait for an answer. He was still too agitated to be nice.

Edited by Biologist

"Ugh." Calendriel sheathed her swords with visible frustration. That was a perfectly good fight - and her preparatory spells - wasted. Nothing for it though, so she decided to accompany Grimwald as he escorted the new prisoners.

"What do you think is in that tube?" she asked in Elven. Calendriel was curious by nature - it was one of the traits that sent her so far from her homeland - and the tube was definitely a mystery. She also felt a slight sense of entitlement to know, given that she was the one that initially found it.

She shrugged at Grimwald's suggestion that they visit the captain next. "Think he'll clue us in? We're mercenaries and I think he abides by the hierarchy. Can't hurt to try though." Not to mention that they could always eavesdrop if they were turned away.