Epyon

Pirates of the Realms

"Phaugh." the giant of a man snorted. "I know elves and dwarves get older than humans, but they take a lot longer to learn things as well. I was more mature at the age of five than they were at the age of seventy-five."

Grimwald wasn't going to back down and he wouldn't be intimidated by a dwarf. Even if he looked to be as seasoned a warrior as he himself was.

He looked at the dwarf. "That's a Drow you're fraternizing with. I'm doing you all a service here."

Har, now there's some smack talk from the uppity human, ey? When ye were five, ye probably still clutched yer wee baby blanket, hoping the monsters under the bed won't nibble yer toes off, ey? Peh... -Budrik waved off the disrespectful human's slander. Leaning against his broadsword, the dwarf stared intently at the human. Well, you muscle-bound oaf. Let me clue you in on something. -Budrik squinted heavily- Nobody in this bleedin' tavern asked for yer 'service'. Looking over towards the Drow elf, Budrik couldn't help but feel a tinge of regret, as the man's statement about his fraternizing with a Drow did strike a nerve somewhat. Still, all Budrik really cared for was getting his ale and cracking some skulls when he felt like it. He was being denied the former, so he would welcome the latter as compensation if this burly man didn't take a hint and back off.

Fraternizing he says... I don' even know the sod. All I want, is to spend one bloody peaceful evening! And that means without some of those carta assassins or some bounty hunting sod, or in this case, some musclebound meathead ruining it for me. Put yer bloody weapons away, drink yer bloody booze, and leave the elf be.

Edited by Brotato

"Dwarves may suckle on their blankets at the age of five, fearing monsters, but I was learning how to sail and swim and fish at that age, you quart sized drow lover." Grimwald bit back angrily.

"*You* might have grown complacent, but so far I've not seen a shred of proof that this source of evil and suffering is anything else but just that. So shut your tiny bearded face and let the Drow defend himself for a change."

Grimwald was not backing down. And he hadn't lowered his sword either.

Edited by Biologist

Budrik covered his face with one palm and started to laugh lightly. Ooooooh, yer a fisherman, then. An here I thought you were some kind of soldier-type deal. Wee bit out of yer comfort zone, eh lad? -he smirked smugy- Also, quart-sized Drow lover? Is that tha' best ye got? If yer bark is as good as yer bite, than I'm surprised ye can hold that thing up. -he gestured towards the man's weapon- If yer gonna talk smack, at least put some feelin' into it.

Sighing casually, Budrik re-sheathed his weapon, leaned back on his chair, crossed his short legs and started to gently stroke his beard. You humans and yer prejudices. Short-lived and short-tempered. Volatile, yet industrious. Sure my kin ain't too friendly with the elves, but at least we don' go around willy nilly pickin' fights at random. -he paused, to look sideways as if thinking about something, then looked back at the man- Well, most of us, anyway. Regardless, I'm not willing to get into a scruff here, as I said, this be my favorite tavern. You wanna wail on the elf, you two take it outside.

Edited by Brotato

Turning a hard gaze upon the Dwarf, Aireia frowned. "As if y-you're free from such pre-prejudice," she stated. The jab would have been a lot more effective if she didn't stutter so often. Oh well, she couldn't really help it. At least talking to the Dwarf was easier than addressing the Drow. As Zaknayrr began to ask her a question, a giant man unsheathed his sword and began posturing. For all signs, he was ready to attack the Drow but didn't have the backbone to follow through on it.

Though, the Moon Elf with him might have been the reason for that. At least she seemed to have sense in her head, given the reaction from the Drow's crew. Aireia had to figure that the human male couldn't be more than just out of adolescence. For all his height, she'd seen too many Humans of ranging shapes, sizes, and ages to not recognize youth.

Still, with swords drawn all around her, she was certainly on edge. The Elf took a step back, right hand falling upon the hilt of her dagger and pulling the short blade free, poised defensively with the blade pointing at her right elbow. The obnoxious Shield Dwarf from the counter came over, merely defending the Drow simply because he didn't want "his favorite tavern trashed". As if that would really stop a fight.

Muscles taut like a feline ready to strike, Aireia shifted her gaze between each face, each force facing off with the tense air of impending war. The Human and Shield Dwarf continued to spit at each other, really not contributing anything new to their bickering as they merely repeated the same things over and over. Both were haughty and both were ignorant, blabbing away with their lips but spewing only incoherent nonsense.

It was, quite frankly, annoying and the Moon Elf frowned. However, the thought of interrupting them and verbally putting them in their place was rather daunting. At least, in her current state. Swallowing, she eased her dagger back into it's sheathe. The Dwarf had his back to her and a crew member mostly obscured her from view of the pair that newly entered the tavern. Maybe she could get away with it....

Gradually, she uncovered her bow and strung it, taking hold of three arrows but nocking one. Feeling the familiar wood in her grasp, she felt more sure of herself, more confidently poised. Speed would be necessary now. The distinct sound of a drawstring wouldn't go unnoticed. Inhaling to steady her hand, she quickly drew back the string and let the first shaft fly with a whistle.

A heavy thunk reached her ears as the arrow embedded itself into the floor between the bickering parties. Surely, it caught everyone's attention. She ignored the sets of eyes boring into her, a stern look upon her features. She almost forgot what she was intending to say. Bow still at the ready, she parted her lips. "Now, I can have two arrows in each of your heads before you can even take a step. So don't think about trying anything," she warned. "Both of you are squabbling like unruly children. Either you grow a backbone, sir, and put your sword where your mouth is or cease all together!" Aireia told off the Human first before turning her gaze upon the Shield Dwarf. "And you! In you're drunken state, you can't be much good against anyone! I noted your state the moment I walked in so don't try to fool anyone. No one cares if this is your favorite tavern! If someone is set on starting a fight, they will bloody start a fight. Great Selune! You're all daft in the heads! Now, either state your business for being here or get out!"

~~~

Briagh was returning as Kaia started her way towards the Sandy Tavern. Spotting her, he grinned and waved. Christa followed behind him, recognizing the young girl at the same time. "Well, hello there, lass. Briagh been treating you fair?" the woman asked, smirking. "Sorry for keeping your captain so long. We were discussing business but now I'm set to actually do business."

The Shield Dwarf chuckled, motioning for the females to continue following. "Kaia? 'ow ye feelin'?" he inquired as they walked.

Edited by Narvix

"Bah!" grumbles Dangan and upon seeing the situation become volatile, he stands and stands next to Aireia, bringing his great axe to bear. "Least I ain't picking fights when none is wanted."

Zaknayrr growls in frustration as he stands and walks to be at the fore front of the conflict, but he does keep his distance from the volatile human. He notes that his crew and some of the merchants become tense. He, however, makes no move to draw any of his blades. Instead, he walks with hands clasped behind his back, away from the hilts of his swords sheathed on his hips, but they are close enough so he can snatch them out of their scabbards should he need to defend himself. He levels a cold glare on the human, "Were I as evil as my kin, you would already be dead, or suffering a horrible death. Were I as evil as my kin, I would have been slain centuries ago when I first came to the surface! You who would so easily seek a fight without pausing to look at the ramifications of such an action are perhaps no better than they who follow Lolth!" It's taking all Zaknayrr has just to keep his tone level and to keep his face impassive, as much as he wants to strike sense into this human. "You have not faced my trials, nor have you walked my path. You cannot know the truth of Zaknayrr Rilynath because you refuse to. I will not allow you to drag any of my crew to the jails, nor will I give you the satisfaction of a fight you so clearly desire."

Edited by Epyon

Well, the place ain't no royal brewery worthy of reverence, but at least no one has ever short-changed me here. Haha! Cause I'm a wee bit short, right? -Budrik jested at the elf's comment, glanced at the arrow with amusement, casually stood out of his chair, pulled the pointed object out of the floor and then strutted over to the moon elf, grabbed one of the nearby chairs, stood up on it until he as at eye level with her. I like yer spirit, lass. But ye can't scare a shield dwarf by firin' pointy sticks at 'im. -he whispered with a soft expression as he twirled the arrow between his fingers, before tossing it behind his back.

Getting off his chair, he casually nudged it back towards the nearest table, looked over to the human, and shook his head. Pity, I was lookin' forward to a good tussle. -he thought, sighed heavily and walked over to one of the walls, leaned against it, and pulled out a small pipe, sprinkled a bit of something in it, and lit it up. It was looking to be one hell of an interesting day. Who knew, maybe there was an opportunity mixed up in all this chaos. One would have to wait, and see...

((Poo poo, cut the post in half. xd.png ))

Edited by Brotato

Calendriel shot the blue-haired elf a brief look. Issuing a challenge was a sure way to get Grim to carry through. Not to mention that now they'd gone from out-of-reach swords to definitely-in-reach arrows; beyond words and into the actual prelude of combat. Was she trying to steer them all to a fight?

She doubted the Moon Elf could make good on her threat to shoot two trained fighters simultaneously though, so she then turned her gaze back to the Drow. It would seem that making speeches was common to all Elves, be they Drow or Eladrin. Calendriel wondered if she'd be so keen on proclamations when she reached that age. If she reached that age - right now Grimwald was rapidly diminishing her odds.

Calendriel wasn't about to abandon her troublesome oaf of a companion, even if this particular fight was not of her choosing. Sliding just a little to the side, she made room for Grim to step past her - a common opening when they began combat. Nevertheless, she kept her swords sheathed as signal to the big human that she wasn't eager for this one. Assuming he was still paying attention to her body language - the self-proclaimed good Drow seemed to be occupying all of his small attention span.

"Who do you serve?" she asked of the Drow. It was a clear reference to the Gods. The Spider Queen was treacherous and full of lies, but she was also proud. If the Drow publicly denounced her in favour of another, that would be a good sign. Corellon claimed all good Elves as his children, even the Darklings, and Calendriel felt beholden to Him to explore the option that maybe the Drow wasn't lying through his treacherous teeth, slim as those odds might be.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

"Now, I can have two arrows in each of your heads before you can even take a step. So don't think about trying anything," the elf warned. "Both of you are squabbling like unruly children. Either you grow a backbone, sir, and put your sword where your mouth is or cease all together!" After she told off Grimwald, she turned her gaze upon the Shield Dwarf.

Great, the other elf had drawn an arrow after shooting a warning shot between him and the dwarf. Grimwald wasn't completely sure of what she wanted from him. Did she want him to take on the drow? Her insult left him little choice, though. So he shrugged affirmatively at her words. He had dealt with ranged assailants in close combat before, so he already had a plan forming in his mind while he was dealing with the Drow.

He was going to take a step towards the Drow, when the abomination approached him instead, keeping out of reach.

Smart.

The Drow levels a cold glare on him, "Were I as evil as my kin, you would already be dead, or suffering a horrible death. Were I as evil as my kin, I would have been slain centuries ago when I first came to the surface! You who would so easily seek a fight without pausing to look at the ramifications of such an action are perhaps no better than they who follow Lolth!" It's taking all Zaknayrr has just to keep his tone level and to keep his face impassive, as much as he wants to strike sense into this human. "You have not faced my trials, nor have you walked my path. You cannot know the truth of Zaknayrr Rilynath because you refuse to. I will not allow you to drag any of my crew to the jails, nor will I give you the satisfaction of a fight you so clearly desire."

While the Drow was speeching, Grimwald paid close attention to the darkelf 's body language and the surroundings. This must be a trick, a diversion to get his men in place. Grimwald wouldn't be caught off guard, though, and kept his sharp blade between him and the Drow. Calendriel stepped behind him and he knew the routine move and what it signaled.

He was about to comment on the speech with a sarcastic quip, when Calendriel spoke up. She still hadn't drawn her swords, which was strange, considering the opponent they were facing. And her words had a hint of urgency, that stopped him from acting. He raised his eyebrows questioningly at the Drow, giving him a chance to answer his companion's question.

"Who do you serve?" she asked of the Drow.

Grimwald decided to let the decision to attack or not depend on Calendriel's judgement. As an elf, she was the expert on Drow after all.

Edited by Biologist

Of all things that have been said or asked, the question of the young elf was most welcome. How might the brutish human take the revelation that he's about to reveal he begins to wonder. "I'm a Ranger humbling serving Gwaeron Windstrom, champion of the Lady of the Forest, Mielikki," he says, bowing with the proper introduction of both his goddess and his patron. He then straightens, his hands returning to be clasped behind his back. The members of his crew in the tavern sheathe their swords, as they no longer expect trouble, but they are still on edge. Now, all he can do is wait. If there is still a fight to be had, he will be certain that the human will go down first.

Behind him, Dangan lowers his axe. The human would be daft to attack a Ranger in the service of Mielikki. But so far, he hasn't shown much wisdom in his current course.

Sweet Selûne....

Aireia mentally berated herself as the giant youth shrugged at her words, an acceptance to her challenge. That was certainly not what she had intended! Biting her tongue so she didn't start verbally cursing the situation she might have just aggravated, she paused when the drunk Dwarf approached. She grimaced in mild disgust as he thought himself to be rather hilarious and continue to conduct himself in an arrogant manner. Who said anything about trying to scare? she privately retorted. Hardly ever did she play an intimidation factor. It was either intercede and relax or intercede and injure or kill. That was it. She rarely, if ever, relied on fear.

As the younger Moon Elf asked her question, Aireia stilled, shifting her green-gold gaze upon the Drow with anticipation. For a moment, her heart fluttered in panic. Had she indirectly defended a servant of Lolth? Zaknayrr's lips parted and words formed.

Gwaeron Windstrom.

Zaknayrr's crew lowered their weapons but the air was still ripe with tension. Carefully, Aireia eased the tension on her bowstring and aimed the tip of her arrow down. She shifted her eyes towards the young Elf and giant youth, holding her breath.

Calendriel regarded the Drow carefully. She was a pretty good judge of people, but he would have had centuries to perfect the lie. She chewed her bottom lip, contemplating what to do, when she saw the blue-haired elf lower her bow. That sealed it for her.

"Gwaeron windstrom and Mielikki are both gods of good, Grimwald" she spoke to her companion's back, "and I don't think he's lying." She didn't say any more than that - the big human was a stubborn as they got, and he'd need to make his own decision now. Still, she was hopeful that they could all go about their business now, and the Elven youth relaxed even if the did not physically shift from her defensive pose.

Now that the Drow had turned out to be, erm, as safe as Drow can get, the sailors had resheathed their swords, and the Moonelf had also disarmed, Calendriel shifted her gaze to the veteran Dwarf. He was the only one in this little equation who might still start anything; it did not strike her as likely, but there was no predicting the irrational behavior of Dwarves. It's the caves, she thought, spend your life cooped up in the dark, and of course you'll go a little mad when you finally see the glory of the sun.

Grimwald looked the darkelf in the eye stoically. He knew what he himself was capable of and was confident that he would come out on top if things got to blows. The sailors as a group were a menace to themselves if they wanted to attack him all at once. The ceiling was too low for the large swords of the darkelf to properly fight with them and the arrows of the archer would have more chance of hitting one of the sailors in the chaotic melee than they would hitting him. There was a good reason why he had drawn his longsword: better maneuverability even if it was his secondary sword.

"I'm a Ranger humbling serving Gwaeron Windstrom, champion of the Lady of the Forest, Mielikki," the darkelf says, bowing with the proper introduction of both his goddess and his patron.

Mielikki. Sure. A ranger would serve her. If he's telling the truth.

Grimwald watched the sailors sheathe their swords and daggers. Even the elven woman had lowered her bow.

He had no intention to lower his sword, though, until he heard Calendriel's verdict.

"Gwaeron windstrom and Mielikki are both gods of good, Grimwald" she spoke to her companion's back, "and I don't think he's lying."

He laughed. "Ha. And I nearly killed you." he spoke to the Drow. All menace had gone from his voice. "Good that my friend knows about these things. Right?" It seemed as if he had already gotten past the bitter words that had been spoken and thought nothing of it anymore.

He sheathed his sword as well, but that did not make him any less dangerous.

(Hand and and half swords aren't very large. Certainly not as large as a greatsword or a flamberge. They are really just longswords with a longer hilt.)

Zaknayrr met the stoic gaze the human leveled his way and matched it with sheer intensity. The human had the same headstrong attitude that prevented most humans from achieving true mastery of their weapons. As the moments dragged on, his hands were somewhat closer to his weapons. He did not want to be caught unawares if the human explodes into motion. He did not like his chances here, however. He spotted movement to the side and a quick glance that way revealed a group of Waterdeep's law enforcement, the Watch. He cursed inwardly, a fight in here would mean a night, at least, in a jail cell even for him.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity. The verdict of the elf came. "Gwaeron windstrom and Mielikki are both gods of good, Grimwald" she spoke to her companion's back, "and I don't think he's lying," she said.

Zaknayrr clenched his fists behind his back. Why would he dare lie about the Goddess he serves through her champion? No matter, a brawl has been averted and that's all that matters. But what brought the travelers here?

The following words of the human make him smirk. "Indeed, indeed. So traveler, what brings you to the City of Splendors?"

Edited by Epyon

The following words of the human make him smirk. "Indeed, indeed. So traveler, what brings you to the City of Splendors?"

Grimwald smiles broadly as he is asked why he has come here. "We travelled from distant Cormyr to the City of Splendors, braving the many dangers of the road, to answer the call to arms. Waterdeep has a problem with pirates? We're here to help out. If the rewards are good, of course."

His demeanor couldn't be more different from the tense agression mere moments ago. He must put great trust in his companion's words.

"Me and ships go well together. And she -" he gestured to Calendriel "is an elf. They do everything well."

At that moment, the inn-keeper decided that the volatile situation had been defused enough to put down drinks on the bar again. A large ale and a smaller cup with golden liquid were pushed towards the human and elf, and Grimwald picked up his tankard without so much as a sideways glance. A clear sign that he was still not comfortable enough with a drow to turn his back on one.

Edited by Biologist

Zaknayrr smiles in response to the human's proclamation of wanting to help, but he snickers when the human makes the mention of the treasure. He thinks like a drow. The thought almost has him howling with laughter but he sublimates it quickly. A sudden bout of laughter will undo all the "progress" that's been made. He watches as the human takes his tankard of ale and takes a drink, all while still facing him. Not yet used to trusting a drow, perhaps that will change if he joins the crew. The mention of his elven companion makes him chuckle.

"Long have the Teu-tel-Quessir been known for their mastery of most things as well as their hospitality. Also it really depends on the Captain. There are some who are no better than the pirates we hunt."

"None better at guarding the seas than Captain Zaknayrr!" comes a shout from the other end of the room, and it is answered by roars of approval by the entire tavern.

Zaknayrr only smiles sheepishly, but he visibly straightens at the compliment. "I do what I can, as my crew do what they can," he says after the commotion subsides.

Dangan grumbles, knowing that Zaknayrr will try to recruit them in. "Durned elf," he mutters. Dangan then turns to Aireia and speaks in a low voice. "So whaddaya say, elf? Will ye be our First Mate? We can teach ye a few things if ye do."

Edited by Epyon

Satisfied that there'd be no blows exchanged - at least not immediately - Calendriel turned back to her honey ale. She caught the Drow's question as she took her first sip, and grimaced. Yes, what *were* they doing in Waterdeep? Grimwald had kept going on and on about the graces of fishing villages and singing sea shanties - he'd been particularly adamant about the sea shanties, though she still did not know why. The big human was remarkably incoherent when he got riled up about an idea. Either way, Grimwald's insistence had finally brought them to Waterdeep, which was most certainly NOT a picturesque fishing village by any stretch of the imagination.

She took another sip when Grimwals boasted about hunting pirates. Had that always been the plan, or did he just make it up on the spot? Maybe she should start paying more attention to his rambles. She did nod when Grimwald proclaimed that the Eladril were good at everything. That, at least, was true. She was still smiling, when the Drow and his dwarf replied....

Calendriel nearly choked on her honey ale as she turned to the room again. Oh no. Grimwald was looking to hunt pirates. The Drow was captain of a pirate-hunting vessel. Calendriel knew *exactly* where this was going. She looked at the Drow, his rude Dwarven mate.... Maybe she could distract Grimwald and avoid munstering on a Drow's vessel.

"Grimwald," she began "I see board games by the window. Fancy a game?"

"Not to interrupt," she addressed the Drow, "but I could do with a spot of relaxation after that business just now. For which our apologies, of course." With niceties out of the way, she tried to coax Grimwald away from the Drow.

Grimwald was tempted by Calendriel's suggestion for a split-second. Then he shook his head.

"Cal, this here darkelf is a pirate hunter with his own ship. Just what we were looking for. This is providence right in our faces. We would be fools not to take this opportunity, so help us Tymora."

He flashed her a grin. "By the way, there's no better way to keep an eye on him than on his ship."

He turned his attention back to the drow. "So, captain. Are you hirin'? And what do you pay?"

Well... It wasn't the smoothest of exchanges but, at the least, it hadn't ended in a brawl. Aireia released the breath she had been holding, sighing on a slow exhale. Diverting her attention from the Giant and the Drow, she began to unstring her bow and place the arrows from her hand into her quiver.

"So whaddaya say, elf? Will ye be our First Mate? We can teach ye a few things if ye do."

Aireia paused, shifting her gaze upon the Drow's Dwarf friend. "Sh-Shouldn't the Captain cho-choose someone he knows?" she remarked. Darting her gaze away, she shifted her weight out of uncertainty and stared at her bow. "I-I'm no l-l-leader type...," she mumbled, stuffing her bow carefully back into its case before slinging it across her back. "W-W-Why would y-you ask me to be F-First M-Ma-Mate?"

Quickly, she shook her head, frowning. She looked up and nodded towards the Giant and young Moon Elf. "A-Ask them if y-you're set on a s-s-stranger."

The human turned his attention back to him and said the words Zaknayrr was hoping he would say. "So, captain. Are you hirin'? And what do you pay?"

"I am indeed hiring. For sell swords, I will give fifteen gold pieces and twenty-five silver pieces per day." The pay was surely generous by Zaknayrr's reckoning, who himself has already grown quite wealthy in his time hunting pirates. "What say you?"

Dangan watches as Aireia shakes her head and attempts to shy away from the offer, "Sh-Shouldn't the Captain cho-choose someone he knows?" she remarked. Darting her gaze away, she shifted her weight out of uncertainty and stared at her bow. "I-I'm no l-l-leader type...," she mumbled, stuffing her bow carefully back into its case before slinging it across her back. "W-W-Why would y-you ask me to be F-First M-Ma-Mate?"

Quickly, she shook her head, frowning. She looked up and nodded towards the Giant and young Moon Elf. "A-Ask them if y-you're set on a s-s-stranger."

Dangan then shakes his head, red beard flying every which way. "Them two nearly killed 'im afore they even got their facts. Ye think we're for wanting one o' them as the First Mate? That'd be daft thinkin' by my estimate, elf. Ye may think that ye ain't a leader, but ye kept a level head for longer than any of us. C'mon elf, we'll teach ye to be more sure o' yerself if nothing else. Besides, I had to save that one's skinny arse enough times that I can choose as well," he remarks with a grin, pointing with his thumb at Zaknayrr.

Edited by Epyon

Calendriel raised an eyebrow at being dismissed as a sell sword. "I am a sword mage of Evereska," she told the Drow in no uncertain terms, "and Grimwald is -" she stopped, then shrugged lightly and continued, "well, Grimwald knows a thing or two about boats. He might actually be of use here." It was hard to tell whether that was an insult aimed at her companion, or at the prospect of pirate hunting.

"That said, I accept your offer but speak only for myself." She wondered if Grimwald would want to haggle - that he would sign on and join her, spoke for itself as far as Calendriel was concerned. Besides, he was the one showing an interested in the first place. Sometimes it was impossible to discern which of them took point and who followed.

She leaned back against the bar and surveyed the crowd. Sailors the lot of them, and they stank of fish. Which was a pity, since she might have done with a spot of company this night. Taking another sip of her honey ale, she let her eye fall on the other moon elf. At least the archer looked clean and all moon elves smelled nice. She seemed to be signing on to the same ship though, and Calendriel wasn't keen to bring any complications on board. Perhaps it was best to stick to wine and Grimwald then.

Grimwald nodded as the Drow spoke. When Calendriel accepted the offer, he added: "Fifteen gold and twenty-five silver a day is a fair compensation for dangerous work. Throw in an even cut of the loot and I'll accept as well."

He downed the rest of the large tankard of ale and put it on the bar, signaling the innkeeper for another one, his eyes never leaving the Drow.

"A hardy sailor who has mastered the blade and a Elven Sword Mage from Evereska, it is your lucky day. What say you?"

He took the new tankard and held it for the moment, as he was going to toast to the inevitable acceptance of his counter offer by the Drow Captain. There was no doubt about the truth in his words.

Edited by Biologist

[[i'll add speech color later.]]

Following the Dwarf's jab towards the Drow captain, Aireia sighed. The frown didn't leave her lips as she momentarily fixed her sharp hearing upon the human and younger Elf. The Giant-kin seemed very egotistical if his words were any good indication. Given that, she guessed the Dwarf had more of a point than he expressed. "A-Alright..." she trailed off, trying to look more confident and sure of herself by standing straighter.

"Ho-How long have y-you been part of Captain Z-Zaknayrr's crew?" she asked after a moment of thought. "A-And what's your position, if you aren't the F-First Mate?" Aireia's curiosity was rising now. Certainly, the Dwarf should have been First Mate? After all, he seemed to be the closest to the Drow and, per his words, was frequently saving the Captain's skin. Then she realized something... "I don't know your name..."

(I don't think the colored speech is needed. At least, I don't think I'll be using it anymore. But anyway, words!)

"I am a sword mage of Evereska," said Calendrial, "and Grimwald is -" she stopped, then shrugged lightly and continued, "well, Grimwald knows a thing or two about boats. He might actually be of use here."

"My apologies, friend elf. I meant no disrespect, I can assure you. However, you are offering your skills with a blade regardless of being bolstered by the arcane. Thus you are going to be classified as a sell sword," he explains calmly.

"That said, I accept your offer but speak only for myself," she said.

When Calendriel rested against the bar and turned her attention to the patrons within the tavern, Zaknayrr faced Grimwald.

"Fifteen gold and twenty-five silver a day is a fair compensation for dangerous work. Throw in an even cut of the loot and I'll accept as well," said Grimwald. "A hardy sailor who has mastered the blade and a Elven Sword Mage from Evereska, it is your lucky day. What say you?"

Mastered the blade? I don't know about that... comes the thought in Zaknayrr's mind. This human may be an assest, but he is very arrogant to say the least. Regardless, he isn't keen on letting two capable warriors slip from him. Zaknayrr rarely, if ever, allowed his crew to pillage a pirate vessel. Often times, there was nothing worth taking so he didn't see why they should bother. However, he does not have such reservations when it comes to taking something from a foe that's been enchanted. In fact, some of his rings are enchanted and have been won in battle. "I cannot promise you that, Master Grimwald. But if you lay an enemy low and there is something of worth on his person, you may claim it. But only after an inspection. My ship is larger than most, but if it's cluttered with useless items then everyone will be in a sour mood. Are we agreed?" he asks as he raises his glass of wine.

Back at the table, Dangan shakes his head but he maintains the bulk of his attention on Aireia, who seemed to be contemplating. "Alright..." she trails off before straigtening her posture and Dangan breathes a sigh of relief. He straightens a bit when the elf's questions come forward. "Ho-How long have y-you been part of Captain Z-Zaknayrr's crew? A-And what's your position, if you aren't the F-First Mate?"

Dangan smiles. "Ah, well I've been with Zaknayrr since the beginning afore we arrived in Waterdeep. Nearly took his head off when I caught him snoopin' around Citadel Felbarr. It took some doing for us to fill our roster when we first set to hunting pirates. I never cared to be the First Mate, so we agreed that I'd be the Deck Boss. Humans feel a bit better takin' orders from a dwarf instead of a drow elf. 'Course, now our crew and the people of Waterdeep don't mind having that particular drow around," he pointed at Zaknayrr using his heavily bearded chin.

"I don't know your name..." Aireia said.

Dangan laughs before he's able to stifle it. He subdues it after a moment but he's still grinning. "Dangan Diamondcrusher, at yer service," he says proudly.

Edited by Epyon

"I cannot promise you that, Master Grimwald. But if you lay an enemy low and there is something of worth on his person, you may claim it. But only after an inspection. My ship is larger than most, but if it's cluttered with useless items then everyone will be in a sour mood. Are we agreed?" the Dark-Elf captain asks as he raises his glass of wine.

Grimwald shrugs his large shoulders after a short deliberation. "Sounds fair to me. Agreed!" And he takes a large gulp from his ale to toast on his decision and cement their agreement.

He looks at Calendriel proudly. They've landed the job they had come to Waterdeep for in under two hours. Without a fight! Not bad at all. He leans in closer to his elven companion and says in a low voice: "I think being classified as a 'sell sword' means you don't have to bother with sailing the ship, but can concentrate on sword stuff and fighting when necessary."

Then he turns his attention back to Zaknayrr and asks: "So, what's next? When do you sail? Can we get time to buy some stuff for a sea voyage, or do you stock everything on board yourself?" And after a short pause, the giant man remembers to add: "Captain."

Edited by Biologist