TJ09

2015-04-26 - April Release

While I also understand the frustration of not catching the rare CB drops, I just chalk it up to the randomness that makes DC fun. I played for three years before I got my first gold, (and it had a messy lineage) and almost four years before I got a CB silver. I will never get a female frilled, or an old pink CB, or a CB Holly. To me, it just means every scroll will be a bit unique. biggrin.gif

I accidentally came across the drops yesterday and was lucky enough to catch several eggs. But I've also gotten completely zeroed on other drops after trying all day. I just take it as part of the game. I think if I was able to get every egg every time, DC would get stale after a while...there wouldn't be the excitement of having something truly rare. TJ offers an awesome game that is constantly changing and keeping me coming back. And it's free! (Go, free!)

I know everyone has a different goal for their scrolls, so this is just my two cents. biggrin.gif

Edited by StrikeFire

I haven't seen any of the new eggs on the site and every hourly drop has locked up for me. I have a fast internet connection.

I'm not crushed, but it does seem like, if ratios are important, then there should be a limit on the number of dragons that each scroll can have during the first X-hours of a drop.

Some folks got 6-7 eggs and some got zero. I know this game isn't designed to be 'fair' but it is annoying to not even have a chance.

As an example, since I came back to the game last year after a hiatus, I have seen exactly one CB copper and zero golds or silver in the cave. Honestly, I don't get why some dragons need to be rare at all. That part of the game doesn't appeal to me-- in large part because sitting in front of a computer screen clicking like crazy to try to find something is a waste of time I could be using to do something else. /rant

I know some folks like the thrill of the chase and I've adapted by focussing on breeding easier to find dragons, however, it would be nice to have a better chance at spotting a new release while still having a life.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm in Europe, I wasn't even awake when the eggs were released, then I got up and went to work and now I come home and don't even have the chance to catch a new egg anymore??

huh.gifblink.gif

I can understand only a few dropping , but none what so -ever??? uber frustrating- it does NOT make things more fun and interesting! A Sunday release of a VERY rare ( apparently) Booo

Edited by dragonpuck

Can I admit that I can't make heads or tails of the male hatchie? Is the thick red thing pointing up supposed to be his head? I think the down-pointing red things are legs, right?

We've been over this :/ If they drop for 24 hours they'll be supersuper rare after they finish dropping, instead of just sorta rare like some people are finding them now. TJ didn't think 'I'll make it so only people who get there in the first ten hours can get them', it's just that the ratios would be thrown right out if it carried on any longer.

I don't understand why it matters how many CB new eggs drop initially?

What would be the problem if the initial drop was more generous? Even if everyone has 1-7 eggs of a new release, their breeding in the future is not going to impact the caveborn eggs. The CB's drop in one part of the site and the abandoned eggs drop in another. After the initial drop the new egg could be set to rare, medium or well done and at least those active on the site during the drop would have had a chance during the initial release.

Limiting the initial catch to 2-4 might also make sure more people got a chance to catch eggs (and might allow the drop time to be extended).

I try to remember they are just pixels-- but they are pixels I invest time in and I'd like that time to be respected.

Lets remember that no matter when the drops happen, someone will be upset. Drops used to be at midnight for me. Which wasn't convenient at all as I was never awake at that time.

yes, but usually they are still dropping in reduced numbers the next day - not completely and totally gone----

While I also understand the frustration of not catching the rare CB drops, I just chalk it up to the randomness that makes DC fun. I played for three years before I got my first gold, (and it had a messy lineage) and almost four years before I got a CB silver. I will never get a female frilled, or an old pink CB, or a CB Holly. To me, it just means every scroll will be a bit unique. biggrin.gif

I accidentally came across the drops yesterday and was lucky enough to catch several eggs. But I've also gotten completely zeroed on other drops after trying all day. I just take it as part of the game. I think if I was able to get every egg every time, DC would get stale after a while...there wouldn't be the excitement of having something truly rare. TJ offers an awesome game that is constantly changing and keeping me coming back. And it's free! (Go, free!)

I know everyone has a different goal for their scrolls, so this is just my two cents. biggrin.gif

You have a very healthy perspective of the game. smile.gif

I can understand the annoyance of some but at the same time, I also think it's fun to work towards scroll goals rather than always expecting things to be handed to you. When the Coppers first came out it took me ages to finally complete my CB sets for them. But I was so happy and accomplished once I did get them.

Same with other metallic dragons or rares. Having something to strive for and work towards is what makes this game so much more interesting.

Lets remember that no matter when the drops happen, someone will be upset. Drops used to be at midnight for me. Which wasn't convenient at all as I was never awake at that time.

Whilst that may be true...I think have new releases drop for at LEAST a day and a half (the same amount of time Neopets gives their users in order to allow the majority of them to be able to complete all the tasks for whatever the event might be) so that folks in differing time zones have an equal chance at nabbing a new release...just sayin'. happy.gif

yes, but usually they are still dropping in reduced numbers the next day - not completely and totally gone----

Exactly. ;_;

But if you do that then everyone who wasn't there for the day and a half will find it nigh impossible to get any for months because it'll become rarer than it actually is.

Well dang. These cave blockers are a nightmare. I'm glad I caught two yesterday, but trying to get a third is wow. Oh well, at least I'll have a breeding pair. ^^

Ou~ And I caught a Frostbite with an awesome code. That works! happy.gif

Hey, it's our hero - thanks for the pretties!

:3 Thank you - glad you're enjoying them!

Re: the scarcity of eggs - far as I know TJ hasn't commented much on the mechanics, but this early in a release when it comes to not even seeing them I wouldn't discount the impact of people just grabbing them really fast (especially given there's only one new kind, so attention isn't divided), as opposed to assuming that they're just not there at all. I know it's frustrating - believe me, I know - but I think some of the base assumptions people are working with as far as how new releases integrate into the cave are off.

(Also... I did not expect the male's pose to cause such confusion. Srry. XD)

Edited by Imbecamiel

Can I admit that I can't make heads or tails of the male hatchie? Is the thick red thing pointing up supposed to be his head? I think the down-pointing red things are legs, right?

Pointing down = feet

Mid-way, looking at the female's head = head

Pointing up/highest red bit = tail

~

These probably dropped as they did because they are the only new release and in three biomes. Rather than being rare, it might have just taken less time to distribute to new release standards because there was no competition.

Good luck to everyone hunting who hasn't caught one!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

IRL kicks me off DC for 5 days and I miss a rare dragon release. Is it just me or Gemshards had so much more potential to become ultra rare while these dragons look absolutely common material? Why have they disappeared. Why have people grabbed them so much more than Gemshards to make them disappear already. Is it because this release has only 1 breed to grab, unlike last March with 3 breeds? So they must become more common later when they'll stop being hip? Well I just want to have two CBs for my CB Collection, so I hope I'll get the chance to.

Good luck to everyone hunting who hasn't caught one!

Almost feels like we need more than luck. tongue.gif

Granted I am almost locked but still I've been looking for almost 4 hours and haven't caught one yet. YET being the key word. laugh.gif

Edited by Kadiskas

:3 Thank you - glad you're enjoying them!

Re: the scarcity of eggs - far as I know TJ hasn't commented much on the mechanics, but this early in a release when it comes to not even seeing them I wouldn't discount the impact of people just grabbing them really fast (especially given there's only one new kind, so attention isn't divided), as opposed to assuming that they're just not there at all. I know it's frustrating - believe me, I know - but I think some of the base assumptions people are working with as far as how new releases integrate into the cave are off.

This is part of why I'm not too worried about it. I figure that at some point a few weeks after the release I'll manage to get a couple while most of the players are asleep. Still, unless they get a lot more common sometime afterwards (like the Blusangs) it's easier for me to mentally classify them as rares because it helps get me in the right state of mind to hunt them without getting frustrated. I'll go back to reserving a couple eggslots so I can casually hunt as I do my regular internet activities. happy.gif

I don't know why but whenever I look at the female hatchie I just see a cute baby dragon wearing a blue mask and a cape.

Superheroes~

These probably dropped as they did because they are the only new release and in three biomes. Rather than being rare, it might have just taken less time to distribute to new release standards because there was no competition.

That's probably also true, on top of my supposition that they're harder to find now also because they're spread across 3 biomes (one of which is a big rare hunting biome, the other two of which are far less mobile).

I could be off on my thinking of owned eggs affecting ratios :3 But I'm convinced some of the common-clearing groups don't count bitten, killed or neglected eggs that originated as an eligible breed because the belief is that the cave will make a new blocker to compensate for the reduced number of owned ones.

Outside of that situation and new releases though there's no way to guess whether the number of owned dragons is a factor in the ratios though so I guess I could quite easily be wrong. I just really can't see TJ limiting it to a 14? hour drop without a good reason like that.

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

I don't know why but whenever I look at the female hatchie I just see a cute baby dragon wearing a blue mask and a cape.

Superheroes~

^^ Hee. This pleases me.

I can understand the annoyance of some but at the same time, I also think it's fun to work towards scroll goals rather than always expecting things to be handed to you.

Same with other metallic dragons or rares. Having something to strive for and work towards is what makes this game so much more interesting.

Well, this is not about having sth handed to me just like that. This is not about getting rid of rares and having everyone own the same amount of them. This is about having the mere chance to catch one myself. I'm willing to try for a while. But I'm working full-time, and DC is supposed to be a game which I play in the evening to relax and have fun, not sth that stresses me out in addition to everyday life's problems.

There's a difference between sth being rare and sth being literally unavailable. I still play DC far more often than I should. But I've given up on trying to get CB metals by now nonetheless as I've not even seen any in the cave past two years. There's working for a goal and being motivated while doing it because you know you'll be successful in the end. And then there's this point where it gets so frustrating that it stops being fun. And this is not what this should become.

Oh wow there really aren't any more. I'll try for a little while to get that last desert I need, but I mean it IS finals week. rolleyes.gif

Ooo. I like the coloring on the hatchies. However, I don't really like the position of the male hatchie. It's hard to make out.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Well, this is not about having sth handed to me just like that. This is not about getting rid of rares and having everyone own the same amount of them. This is about having the mere chance to catch one myself. I'm willing to try for a while. But I'm working full-time, and DC is supposed to be a game which I play in the evening to relax and have fun, not sth that stresses me out in addition to everyday life's problems.

There's a difference between sth being rare and sth being literally unavailable. I still play DC far more often than I should. But I've given up on trying to get CB metals by now nonetheless as I've not even seen any in the cave past two years. There's working for a goal and being motivated while doing it because you know you'll be successful in the end. And then there's this point where it gets so frustrating that it stops being fun. And this is not what this should become.

I apologize if this stresses you out like that, but there's still a chance once the hype settles down. I'm sure people will start giving them away to help out those struggling catching them since there are a lot of friendly members on DC, too.

It's been stated a couple of times as well that since this is just the second day in and since there's only one of these new dragons to catch, that is what is possibly causing people such a difficult time to find them, so it's probably better if you take a breather and focus on other scroll goals until the excitement cools down? You never know. They may be easier to see in just a couple of days. smile.gif

(Also... I did not expect the male's pose to cause such confusion. Srry. xd.png)

I think male hatchies are adorable, to me they look like kittens about to be petted, a little unsure at first, but after they see they like it they're all prrrrrrrr. xd.png

I think male hatchies are adorable, to me they look like kittens about to be petted, a little unsure at first, but after they see they like it they're all prrrrrrrr. xd.png

Hah! I was thinking the same thing. They're so cute. xd.png

I love the colors on these guys! And the hero ref? Awesome!