NatPur

Interesting Names

My new baby cousin's name is Malikye but they pronounce it Malakai

Dang hawaiian names

Aww it's kinda cute wub.gif

I know a nine-year-old named Malia--which I think is especially cool, because that's also the name of an orca! Malia is Hawaiian as well. :3

The people with the most strange names I met are probably a girl named Venusia and one named Bianca Vacca.

The first is the name of Hikaru Makiba character in the Italian dubbing of UFO Robot Grendizer and I never met another real person with that name. Her parents must have been huge fans of the anime!

Both Bianca (name) and Vacca (surname) are not that strange in Italy, but together they mean "white cow"

Edited by Iside

I looked at the roster for a class I was subbing and there was a kid whose first and middle names were "Dean Thomas." Probably not an intentional Harry Potter reference, but amusing nonetheless. smile.gif

I.... Does it count i there's a video game I play where the antagonist's name is Priscilla, and the nickname is Prissy?

I looked at the roster for a class I was subbing and there was a kid whose first and middle names were "Dean Thomas." Probably not an intentional Harry Potter reference, but amusing nonetheless. smile.gif

I met an actual Harry Potter once! Though his middle name was Augustus, I think.

I met a woman named Toni last semester, which really threw me off because I never realized Toni could be a woman's name.

Eh, I knew this...hearing about the murder of Toni Gibbs, which occurred back in the 1980s, taught me that.

...i used to have a friend whos name was crystal steel--her parents had a field day. surprisingly, if i remember correctly her brother's name was john...

My name is "Sage" and whenever I tell people about my siblings (whose names are particularly plain like "John" and "Jane") they're sceptical - or disappointed to be more accurate. xd.png

Moving on: I used to know a girl named "Ayla," but it always sounded like someone was calling her "ale" since we tend to slur where I live, lol.

I used to take the same school bus as a girl named Tutu- Rabbit Rabbit in Chinese. I don't know if it's a nickname or not, but that's the only name she seemed to use.

I also know a dance instructor named Aura.

This reminded me of Sailor Moon. xd.png

Her name is "Usagi" which means rabbit in Japanese tongue.gif

At the community center I worked at, one of the kids was named Land. I thought for sure I was mishearing until I saw it written down.

My best friend from middle/high school's middle name was Noel, as in Christmas. She hated it. =p (Her parents were huge 60s hippies and almost named her Feather.)

They could at least spell it as "Noelle" to make it female but each to their own. *shrugs*

I don't know why people would treat Dannyca as interesting until I saw the standard spelling is Danica. Well, to be fair, her parents forecasted that she would be male and decided on the name Danny but added the two letters when she turned out female.

I know a boy named Kenric.. Don't know if it's mainstream x) And a woman named Miek. (In my country it would be either Mieke or just Mie, not Miek..)

I wasn't personally surprised by it, but my girlfriend's surname is Moon. She has all kinds of stories she can tell about how her surname results in other people's confusion. From what I gather, the reaction usually consists of them deciding that they must have subtly misheard the name, and proceed to write down / memorise a slightly different one instead. laugh.gif As you can imagine, this has amusing and frustrating side-effects.

Someone who used to go to my high school had the name Ahlohn Graye Wolf. First name being Ahlohn, middle being Graye, and last being Wolf. Pretty obvious, but... If you say it out loud it sounds like "A lone gray wolf," or without the middle name, "A lone wolf." I remember one time we had a substitute teacher and she refused to believe it was his real name, so he had to show her his ID.

I also knew someone named River Glacius and that sounds pretty cool.

Three of my co-workers are named Beer, Weed and Dope. cool.giflaugh.gif

(I translated their last names, because the original names are German. I live in Germany.)

I know someone who's last name is Kit. Always makes me think of baby cats lol. Or assembling things.

I have a person who's called Rhythm in my Maths class.

Even better if they're in your music class! It would fit so well!

I have a friend whose name is Justine. Justine is male though. So we pronounce his name "Justin" and not "Justeen". In emails, people always address him as miss because of his name. Coincidentally, Justine has a girlfriend whose name is Thatcher. (Isn't Thatcher a boy's name?)