NatPur

Interesting Names

Today at work I was dealing with a client whose name was Shegog.

And the whole time, all I could think - ALL I COULD THINK - was that he was obviously the love-child of Aragog and Shelob.

And it got me thinking:

Have you ever met someone whose (real) name almost made you do a spit-take, and why?

(Remember to be polite, this isn't a name-bashing thread!)

We were teaching french to a class of second-graders last year and one of them was named something like "Nyrider". Pronounced like Knight Rider minus the "t" sound. I just kept thinking his parents must really like cars.

I know someone who has Gandalf as a middle name. He uses his very average first name though.

My experiences are all pretty boring and stem mostly from living in the super-active-all-of-the-people-place called the country in Wisconsin xd.png

So honestly the most interesting names I've got are I met a woman named Toni last semester, which really threw me off because I never realized Toni could be a woman's name.

And one of my friends name's is Kensley. NOT Kelsey. But Kensley. I've yet to ever meet another person with that name.

like i said. boring experiences. you'd think going to UW Madison would give you some good ones, but unfortunately it just provides you with an ungodly amount of Britanny's.

At the community center I worked at, one of the kids was named Land. I thought for sure I was mishearing until I saw it written down.

My best friend from middle/high school's middle name was Noel, as in Christmas. She hated it. =p (Her parents were huge 60s hippies and almost named her Feather.)

My best friend from middle/high school's middle name was Noel, as in Christmas. She hated it. =p (Her parents were huge 60s hippies and almost named her Feather.)

To be fair, it is a legitimate name, though I can definitely see why she would hate it. LOL! My best friend in high school was named Gail. She always used to complain about her name, saying, "They could have at least spelled it 'Gale' like the wind!"

I know a girl who was named Kes, after the character in Star Trek: Voyager. I screamed a little bit inside... then realized that my passions are usually over a decade old. laugh.gif

My aunt's name is Keely Pool...

And I know a girl named Jordan...

And I know a girl nicknamed Vine, but I don't know her real name..

And I know a girl named Jordan...

Jordan is unisex tongue.gif

Not that I've met any, but some people are called Nevaeh.

My friend wants to call her daughter Nevaeh. tongue.gif Also, I've hear if you have girl twins, "Nevaeh" and "Heaven" are good names. Lol. I think Heaven is strange than Nevaeh, but I think Nevaeh is probably a bit strange too.

I met someone named 'Rinal' once. Pronounced like 'renal' (as in, relating to the kidneys) and I thought that was a bit strange. She said it like renal, but some of the other people there pronounced it like "rin-elle" so I guess I wasn't the only one who thought it was strange, haha. smile.gif

Although she was from another country so I guess that's why? Idk.

I've always thought Solange was a strange name...the first time I met someone called Solange I had to ask her name like 4 times because I had no idea what she was saying. :/ Awkward! lol

Also one of my friend's friends named their daughter Persethone (pronounced "Persephone")

I think it's strange, but I like the pronunciation Persephone a lot better than when I read it "Per-seth-one" so I don't mind it too much. It's like you think something is really bad, then you realise it's not actually that bad, so it's sort of okay?

Edited by AppleMango

So my RL first name is Cera (pronounced like regular Sara). And normally I get the remark, 'that's a cool spelling' from people who see it. It's a bit of a pain though as when I go to starbucks or some such place where they ask for your name, they'll usually ask me '"With or without the 'H'?" Technically without, but it's not what you think.

I've had people call me Cara or Ciarra, which makes me cringe. One time I met a customer at work with a relative of the same spelling, pronounced 'See-rah'.

No one's ever really asked for the backstory of my name, but whenever someone makes a remark, I always feel like I have to give it.

I think the most unusual and probably infamous name I've heard of is La-a. Instead of 'Ladasha', a dash (-) was put in to stand for the symbol name. Creative, but it's one of those names to cause awkwardness at school.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Jordan is unisex tongue.gif

My friend wants to call her daughter Nevaeh. tongue.gif Also, I've hear if you have girl twins, "Nevaeh" and "Heaven" are good names. Lol. I think Heaven is strange than Nevaeh, but I think Nevaeh is probably a bit strange too.

I met someone named 'Rinal' once. Pronounced like 'renal' (as in, relating to the kidneys) and I thought that was a bit strange. She said it like renal, but some of the other people there pronounced it like "rin-elle" so I guess I wasn't the only one who thought it was strange, haha. smile.gif

Although she was from another country so I guess that's why? Idk.

I've always thought Solange was a strange name...the first time I met someone called Solange I had to ask her name like 4 times because I had no idea what she was saying. :/ Awkward! lol

Also one of my friend's friends named their daughter Persethone (pronounced "Persephone")

I think it's strange, but I like the pronunciation Persephone a lot better than when I read it "Per-seth-one" so I don't mind it too much. It's like you think something is really bad, then you realise it's not actually that bad, so it's sort of okay?

*can't be bothered to snip what I'm not responding to*

I thought for girls it was spelt Jordyn, not Jordan

My best friend in middle school was named 'Stormy' and at first I thought she was lying or she was suggesting that her nickname was Stormy. I thought she was the only person named Stormy (or at least one of the few in the world).

But weird story, about five days ago, I was shopping at my local grocery store, and when I went up to the cashier, the lady's name was Stormy and I swear, I almost made a pterodactyl noise while she was scanning my food.

I've met twins named Shabudatiqua and Shockablewayla. No joke. Those might not be the correct spelling but they're pronounced like that.

Also I know someone named Uriel. He's Jewish and named after an angel.

And a person named Digi but I'm not sure if that's a real name or a nickname.

In my country we have a lot of people with interesting names.

For instance like I know a guy with the name Mmusi.

One of my classmate's name is 여의주(including family name) which means cintamani.

it must will be different when it written in Chinese letter

Edited by sh20000sh

I thought for girls it was spelt Jordyn, not Jordan

That's a modern, within the last 10-15 years thing, really..

--

I know a person whose name is Jack Daniels. Daniels being the last name.

My sister's name is Kearstyn.

My friend's daughter's name is Aeris (yes they are FF fans).

There is a family in a town next to where I grew up whose last name is Peacock.

I just did an overnight sitting gig for these two boys named Grover and Otto. Idk why but jeez those names seemed awkward to me.

I have a cousin whose name is Electa. Not Electra. Electa.

Edited by alicebowlsly

i have a friend whose parents named her cherry since "when you came out, you were red as a cherry!" she hates it and demands to be called carrie, and anyone who calls her cherry will face her full wrath, LOL.

i used to have a friend whos name was crystal steel--her parents had a field day. surprisingly, if i remember correctly her brother's name was john.

there's also a guy named hugh corne and if you say it fast enough it sounds like huge corn omg

i also knew someone named whisper and a boy named mash-hood.

i have a friend whose parents named her cherry since "when you came out, you were red as a cherry!" she hates it and demands to be called carrie, and anyone who calls her cherry will face her full wrath, LOL.

i used to have a friend whos name was crystal steel--her parents had a field day. surprisingly, if i remember correctly her brother's name was john.

there's also a guy named hugh corne and if you say it fast enough it sounds like huge corn omg

i also knew someone named whisper and a boy named mash-hood.

As a metalhead, I am a bit envious of Crystal Steel for her name.

Edited by Brotato

I used to take the same school bus as a girl named Tutu- Rabbit Rabbit in Chinese. I don't know if it's a nickname or not, but that's the only name she seemed to use.

I also know a dance instructor named Aura.

I've met a girl named Nivea. And there was a girl in my middle school named Ara (you know, macaw parrot). It was hilarious because she talked too much :')

My new baby cousin's name is Malikye but they pronounce it Malakai

Dang hawaiian names