M00nSlippers

Biome "Eyecatches" and additional graphics

Hello, I haven't been on the site long, only a few months, and the forum shorter than that but I do have a thought that doesn't seem to have been brought up here.

It's not anything that is strictly 'necessary', or has much to do with the mechanics of the site, but I think it would be nice if when you enter each biome there is an eyecatch, basically a still graphic that gives an impression of what the biome is like, so a fantasy desert image or a fantasy jungle, maybe with shadows of dragons. It would probably be banner sized and shaped and go above the text, but below the biome navigation links.

Another thing is, instead of just having descriptive text for each egg, additionally have a generic mystery egg image (maybe a shadowed egg shape with a question mark on it, to maintain the anonymity of the egg's appearance until it's taken) displayed as well above each text.

It doesn't seem like much, but I think these things would add a lot of atmosphere to the game without taking up too much space or coding or time or graphics that would be unreasonable or outside the resources of those running the site. They would help to the visualize the fantasy world where these dragons come from.

I'm sure artists on the site would be happy to contribute art for the eyecatches. It could even randomly cycle more than one image if there are multiple submissions. A size for the image could be decided on by moderators and any artist who wants to contribute could make an image to the specs and give their leave for the art to be used if it's deemed acceptable. Or conversely, a particularly artist could be asked to do all of them so they'd match.

So is this a stupid idea or something people would be interested in?

Edited by M00nSlippers

The 'eyecatch' graphic seems interesting, but the placement of it might be a problem. Also, I don't think it's really needed, and it could cause more lag for it to load.

I'm confused about the egg image though. Doesn't it already have an image?

Another thing is, instead of just having descriptive text for each egg, additionally have a generic mystery egg image (maybe a shadowed egg shape with a question mark on it, to maintain the anonymity of the egg's appearance until it's taken) displayed as well above each text.

Do you have your images or scripting disabled? There is a generic mystery egg sprite that is used for all eggs in the biomes until they are picked up.

Also, as much as I like the idea of biome specific background graphics, they are not really necessary and the images on the site put enough of a strain on [older] computers as-is. I don't think that we need to add anything to the site that could bog down egg hunting any more than we already have.

Something like... what's already there? :/

user posted image

If you mean something else, would you mind clarifying? I'm kinda confused by this part of your request.

I'm kinda indifferent to the biome banner you're suggesting; I could see it being a problem for load-time, which makes me lean against it, but overall I doubt it would lag much worse than the existing cave background image does for some people.

Edit:

Do you have your images or scripting disabled?  There is a generic mystery egg sprite that is used for all eggs in the biomes until they are picked up.

Javascript doesn't matter for the mystery images; I play with JS off and I can still see the mystery images fine. I suspect OP has their images off or needs to do a hard-refresh.

Hi, M00nSlippers!

I have to admit that I'm wondering what you click on while hunting the biomes when the mystery egg images don't appear and how you know to try the right area - does anything show at all?

Or was it a trial and error issue?

Have you managed to sort out the problem yet?

Although the idea of adding art to the biomes is interesting and no doubt would look nice, I'd actually rather not have anything added which might add to the existing and annoying lag we now have interfering not only with hunting but with other actions on the site.

And I have to admit that a fair number of people have at various times in the past commented on how they liked the simplicity of the DC site, although that's been changing anyway.

Keep in mind we have users with computers of all sizes as well as on mobile. Any additional images, like eye candy for each biome, should be placed below the eggs as to not interfere with hunting.

I don't mind more beautiful art, but I think the new background on default is enough on biome pages and such. I wouldn't mind art in the encyclopedia, the help pages, or on the front/main page, though.

If the new graphic replaced the basic parchment, wouldn't that keep there from being any additional lag?

If the new graphic didn't cause an issue seeing the egg images and text after replacing the parchment image, I don't see a problem.

Hi, M00nSlippers!

I have to admit that I'm wondering what you click on while hunting the biomes when the mystery egg images don't appear and how you know to try the right area -  does anything show at all?

Probably what you see with images off - a - LINK with the word "egg"

Egg

I would be very much against added images in the biomes. Don't forget that many of us have already had to change skins because the new skin causes problems. The last thing we need when hunting is added distractions.

And I have to admit that a fair number of people have at various times in the past commented on how they liked the simplicity of the DC site, although that's been changing anyway.

Yes. *sob* It has *more sobs*

Probably what you see with images off - a - LINK with the word "egg"

Egg

I would be very much against added images in the biomes. Don't forget that many of us have already had to change skins because the new skin causes problems. The last thing we need when hunting is added distractions.

Yes. *sob* It has *more sobs*

Thanks, fuzzy! I was imagining a big blank spot all around the description and wondering how people ever worked out where to click, lol.

If the suggestion was actually for mystery eggs with no description, I would like to say that there's no way I'd want to hunt in biomes randomly locking myself with unidentified blockers with no hope of even being able to look for whatever I needed at the time, so I would certainly hope that if unidentified eggs were to become a thing in the Cave that there would be separate biomes for that, with the regular mystery eggs complete with descriptions for the rest of us who want specific dragons for specific circumstances and not just a randomized scroll full of slimy green puddles, rancid purple clouds, and crazy moist pebbles... yup, 4:30 AM here and I'm overtired and giggly again... laugh.gif

If the suggestion was actually for mystery eggs with no description, I would like to say that there's no way I'd want to hunt in biomes randomly locking myself with unidentified blockers with no hope of even being able to look for whatever I needed at the time, so I would certainly hope that if unidentified eggs were to become a thing in the Cave that there would be separate biomes for that, with the regular mystery eggs complete with descriptions for the rest of us who want specific dragons for specific circumstances and not just a randomized scroll full of slimy green puddles, rancid purple clouds, and crazy moist pebbles... yup, 4:30 AM here and I'm overtired and giggly again... laugh.gif

I couldn't agree more. *giggles* The last thing I need is to be locked for 5 hours with some egg I don't even like (there are a couple I avoid catching !) I am betting whoever suggested that one (ages ago now) will feel differently after having a scroll locked with neo-trops (and I LIKE those, BTW !) for 5 hours...

Go to bed.

The problem with mystery eggs is that if the code is visible in the link then you could go see what it is without having to grab it. I do that sort of thing all the time to see if that Pink in the Coast is truly a Pink and not a Flamingo, or figure out if the Glowing Stones are of the sun or the moon.

Edit: Doh, read a bit more of the original topic links and that point was already made. Whoops. xd.png

---

Pretty graphics would be nice, though it would need to be pretty low-key if this were implemented. Nothing too eye-catching or graphically intense.

Edited by Tehya Faye

if the code is visible in the link then you could go see what it is without having to grab it. I do that sort of thing all the time to see if that Pink in the Coast is truly a Pink and not a Flamingo, or figure out if the Glowing Stones are of the sun or the moon.

Sorry for offtopic - but how do you do that?

Sorry for offtopic - but how do you do that?

Probably by using view/*code* in a new tab.

On topic:

I'm pretty indifferent to the suggestion. On the one hand I kind of like the parchment because it's so simple, on the other hand I can see how artwork might be pretty too. But wouldn't the image look pretty weird on top of our new background?

Edited by Isuzu

While the idea of a generic egg image is already there, I love the idea of a background.

I really do love the background image for the site; in fact, I've been searching gor a full version of it. While I don't particularly want to stress all the artists, I would love to have different background arts for the different areas/biomes. It would certainly make me hunt more! Plus, it could serve as a visual reminder or which biome you're in. You aren't going to confuse the desert and the coast if there's a lovely picture of the sea and a desert, respectively.

So basically, I support the idea of extra background images.

((Does anyone know where I can see the whole of the current image? It's beautiful...))

While the idea of a generic egg image is already there, I love the idea of a background.

I really do love the background image for the site; in fact, I've been searching gor a full version of it. While I don't particularly want to stress all the artists, I would love to have different background arts for the different areas/biomes. It would certainly make me hunt more! Plus, it could serve as a visual reminder or which biome you're in. You aren't going to confuse the desert and the coast if there's a lovely picture of the sea and a desert, respectively.

So basically, I support the idea of extra background images.

((Does anyone know where I can see the whole of the current image? It's beautiful...))

Right click on it (careful to click the BACKGROUND) and go for "view background image" and you can see it - and then right click on the pretty pic and run with "save image".

I have it as my wallpaper - as the actual SITE won't work right if I use it to play sad.gif Also I find it very distracting when catching etc.

I would totally hate different backgrounds for all the biomes. Extra load time and slowing things down. Loads can be done to make sites PRETTY to LOOK at - but we are in the cave to PLAY, and we don't need to be held up by extra pretties, however lovely the art.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Perhaps it could be optional? Like on account settings, a button for "View Biome backgrounds". I know I've managed to click the wrong biome and I've been looking for Waters in the Desert before, so I'd love the visual warning - plus, I want to see more of the amazing art! smile.gif

Thanks for the tip... sadly it doesn't seem to work. -.- I'm not sure if it's the type of computer I'm using or what, but the option of 'view background image' doesn't show up on the right-click menu. I've tried clicking in several places, including all sides of the image, and the scroll part too, but it shows exactly the same thing.

Thanks for the tip... sadly it doesn't seem to work. -.- I'm not sure if it's the type of computer I'm using or what, but the option of 'view background image' doesn't show up on the right-click menu. I've tried clicking in several places, including all sides of the image, and the scroll part too, but it shows exactly the same thing.

I suppose you're not on Firefox. Here's a direct link:

http://static.dragcave.net/new/bg.jpg