Rally Vincent

Improvement of Name Censorship

Thats not really a thing as far as I know, past some bizarre upset parent sending an email or something

It would only take one. And there are nutters out there LOOKING for this stuff.

It would only take one. And there are nutters out there LOOKING for this stuff.

Well yeah, but ultimately who cares if TJ gets like one email ever from some bizarre parent whos kid found some half inapropriate name?

Its not like there are internet censor police floating around who nuke sites when they find some user posted something inappropriate.

Well yeah, but ultimately who cares if TJ gets like one email ever from some bizarre parent whos kid found some half inapropriate name?

No - I mean that deranged self-righteous person doesn't email TJ - they email the authorities ad ask for a site block.

Its not like there are internet censor police floating around who nuke sites when they find some user posted something inappropriate.

Actually - in the UK at least, there are ISPs who block things based simply on individual words, and at one point the government was specifically enabling this. Which led to the extraordinary situation where schoolkids looking up breast cancer and normal sex ed factual sites were being blocked from doing their homework for quite a while - this actually stemmed from a government initiative "to protect them" !

It took me a while to realize why I couldn't name this dragon "Peggy" (inspired by her code) instead of "Margaret".

("Z'Ra" is the prefix I use for all my Z-code dragons.)

It wasn't really a big problem, I just used a different name. And I can't blame TJ for filtering words that can hurt people just by being there.

But I still think it would be nice if the filter only caught "real bad words" and not those that just look bad to a computer. So what we need is... artificial intelligence...?

The fact that I'm having a pretty hard time finding the "nasty word" in the examples cited (like Peggy with the prefix), should be an indication of the censor's over jealousy. Humans are naturally adapted to recognise word patterns. We don't read the letters, we interpret the words as a pictogram, therefore, unless you're looking for nasty words, all you're going to read is "Type Nissan".

I didn't know the censor ignored spaces between words. That would explain why I was unable to use perfectly appropiate names in the past (although I can't remember which now).

Sorry but there IS really sth wrong with the entire censorship on DC...

We can't name dragons with innocent phrases which may accidentally contain a split voulgar or offensive word but the dragon coding may use them:/

e.g. http://dragcave.net/lineage/**** http://dragcave.net/lineage/**** http://dragcave.net/lineage/**** http://dragcave.net/lineage/**** http://dragcave.net/lineage/**** http://dragcave.net/lineage/dick http://dragcave.net/lineage/dIck

etc. etc. to go on for ages

Sorry but if we're to have our dragons named in a way that messes with the coensorship system punished(e.g. killed) but we are to get dragons named worse in the mere coding, then WHAT'S THE POINT?

PFFF nice, and all the DRAGON codes of EXISTING dragons got censored xd.png Just check some capitalisations of the f-word, cu-word (di-word was not recognised I see) in dragon coding and you'll se what I was reffering to.

This! I just nabbed one of the new pretties and...well...if you peek at my scroll you'll see very much obviously the 'offending' word within the code for it.

This! I just nabbed one of the new pretties and...well...if you peek at my scroll you'll see very much obviously the 'offending' word within the code for it.

How is the word sex offensive ? Look - it hasn't been censored !

I guess I just figured it would be considered on the proverbial borderline.*has gotten used to the censor mynci blocking the most innocent of words like uncle or cucumber or even pencil box*

I guess I just figured it would be considered on the proverbial borderline.*has gotten used to the censor mynci blocking the most innocent of words like uncle or cucumber or even pencil box*

Well, I wish it would stop - in the past I've spent ages looking for suitable more obscure mythical/historical names, tried multiple I was happy to find, only to have several letters disappear, even with home-bred dragons having the d'S indication I'm supposed to remember to use on those, lol, so not just duplicates of used names.

And I have a filthy mind and still often couldn't figure out what the problem was supposed to be...

Exactly how often does it actually happen, that someone gets punished for using a bad word or something? Do I need to worry about how my dragon names could be interpreted? I've never knowingly put anything bad in the names, but the examples here are worrying.

Exactly how often does it actually happen, that someone gets punished for using a bad word or something? Do I need to worry about how my dragon names could be interpreted? I've never knowingly put anything bad in the names, but the examples here are worrying.

If it is censorable, you won't be allowed to use the name anyway (see under "The pen is mightier" - which is a shame as I'd quite like to use that now I've thought of it...)

The person who tried to use the British seaside town with the c word in the middle and whose hatchie was killed by the censor tried to use the name. It said no. (I am not sure what message it gave at that point) - so they went to search by name and the dragon with that name didn't come up. So they tried again. Several times. It was then that the hatchie poofed.

ETA I lied - it was a description:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=8696841

But they did try several times before DEATH occurred.

I think DETERMINED and repeated efforts to put in a bad word are what murders things.

On the other hand, I reported a scroll full of what I felt were nasties not long ago (I'm sure they were deliberate, as they were sort of "carefully spelt".) I assume the mod I reported it to got in touch; the player changed all the offending names. So if you do it and someone reports the names, you have a chance to fix them. Don't worry.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I remember seeing someone asking for help because they named their chicken something offensive without knowing.

If you are non english and use a dictionary to find out the word for a male chicken it will return with rooster and c***

They didn't use rooster and named their chicken "I want c****s"

So I agree something needs to be done, as it's a bit unfair for someone who's first language isn't even English to get punished over something like that.

I have a dragon with the code xCult, which could be construed as offensive (I personally found it quite funny) so maybe the censor needs to relax a bit. I've also noticed older dragons with apostrophes in their names, but when I tried to add one it wouldn't allow it. Odd, that.

But they did try several times before DEATH occurred.

I think DETERMINED and repeated efforts to put in a bad word are what murders things.

Mmmh unsure.gif

I had a hatchie auto-killed for a typo in a description once that triggered the censor. There was no repetition or anything, just a missed vowel that produced a nasty word in the middle of a hamless one. That was ages ago and actually the reason why I joined the forums - to find out what the heck had happened. TJ fixed it immediately after a pm but still.

Edited because I still miss vowels from time to time. rolleyes.gif

Edited by herk

This just overall reminds me of when I got kicked by a censor bot in another site's IRC chatroom for using the word "thera'peutic" (with the ' in there to break the censor, because I wouldn't be surprised if this forum censors it as well as the site)

Sites like this, that are directed at people of all ages and have strict rules against swearing, tend to have overzealous censors especially because tumblr is so prominent now that everyone and their mother complains about "trigger" words. It startles me though that apparently DC blocks the word I mentioned above, but allows "ass" because it happens to be in words like "glass".

... I was on Neopets for a bit and they blocked words like "password" because of that.

gl-donkey

p-donkey-word

m-donkey

/me dies laughing

Sorry but that is RIDICULOUS. I'm really glad DC hasn't reached THAT level of stupidity

It startles me though that apparently DC blocks the word I mentioned above, but allows "ass" because it happens to be in words like "glass".

... I was on Neopets for a bit and they blocked words like "password" because of that.

That's because ass means a small donkey. Follow the Brtish spelling and that should be censored. dry.gif Apparently, it isn't.

ohmy.gif Censoring "password". dry.gif Alright, let's give up. It is obviously machines are mindless objects. We need humans to manually censor words.

Neo STILL does that.Can't use the word uncle (not sure just WHY that word is triggering the censor Mynci when Aunt is harmless.) password,Elther's Danalos Syndrome (I've TRIED to find the word/words bad in that but can't) and other disability types,ect. I mean,I can understand to a point,since it's a site used by all ages,but seriously...it's getting to the point that I keep expect to hear that shows like Sesame Street ect are getting just as stupid heavily censored.

Neo STILL does that.Can't use the word uncle (not sure just WHY that word is triggering the censor Mynci when Aunt is harmless.) password,Elther's Danalos Syndrome (I've TRIED to find the word/words bad in that but can't) and other disability types,ect. I mean,I can understand to a point,since it's a site used by all ages,but seriously...it's getting to the point that I keep expect to hear that shows like Sesame Street ect are getting just as stupid heavily censored.

Elther's Danalos Syndrome

^ Found it!

Yeah, I've never been a fan of these sorts of overly strict censors. I haven't been tripped up yet here, but there are so many words that just happen to contain swears or slurs.

Elther's Danalos Syndrome

^ Found it!

Yeah, I've never been a fan of these sorts of overly strict censors. I haven't been tripped up yet here, but there are so many words that just happen to contain swears or slurs.

But it isn't; it's Ehlers Danlos. Spell it right and it will be fine.

http://www.ednf.org/

Now UNCLE.... that is weird.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Got so used to spelling it from what could be deciphered from the doc's handwriting. tongue.gif

Wonder if that would make the word analog unusable.*head DESK!*

Censor overkill needs to go die in a fire.

We're getting off-topic from what this thread was originally trying to achieve. The OP already posted the issue was fixed for them, so I left the thread open to see if users were still having censor problems. If the discussion of examples continues, I'll have to close the thread as spam. One or two examples from this site are fine - but after that, we get the picture. ;3