The_Bucket

Gemshard Breeding Results

EDIT: Thank you everyone for the help. As no obvious patterns have emerged in biome, mana affinity, or dragon color, I think it is safe to say there is probably no pattern. Feel free to keep contributing, because we could be dead wrong :3

Original post left below.

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or has already been posted. I've looked around and haven't found a duplicate. I just want to collect data here to see if there might be a pattern.

I'm aware that most everyone thinks that bred Gemshards are completely random in color. However, I've been watching, and every time I've seen a Gemshard bred to a biomeless dragon (CB Prize, GoN, old dragon), it has colored "correctly". Granted, as of making this thread I've only seen nine [make that four, since I'm omitting the GoNs] data points, which is why I want to gather data from more people.

My theories:

-Breeding is somehow biome-related. Since unless bred, Gemshards are always Jungle, it would probably be based on the mate. For example, Alpine and Forest might yield green. Gemshard x Gemshard seems to be random, so if this theory is correct, Jungle x Jungle is a random color.

-Something more complex/convoluted, like a table based on Gemshard parent color AND mate biome. For example, an Alpine dragon bred with a Blue Gemshard might yield a Green Gemshard, while an Alpine dragon bred with a Red Gemshard might result in a Blue Gemshard.

-Breeding with a biomeless dragon results in the color of the Gemshard parent.

-Breeding is not related to biomes, but instead to the mana affinity of the mate. Each of the correctly colored prizekin I've seen have been from Tinsels (haven't seen any from Shimmers) and Tinsels have a neutral affinity.

-There's no pattern! This is probably the case, I just saw something that might be a lead and, as there were no similar threads already in existence, wanted to see if this might be the case.

Please share lineage links to bred Gemshard hatchlings or adults, especially from biomeless parents.

EDIT: Just saw a miscolored Gemshard from GoN. Maybe it's instead related to elemental affinity? Tinsels have neutral affinity, and all of the prizekin I've seen have been from Tinsels.

Edited by The_Bucket

I bred two CB green Gemstones and they produced a red hatchling.

Dunno that there's gonna be a pattern.

I bred two CB green Gemstones and they produced a red hatchling.

Dunno that there's gonna be a pattern.

As I said, Gemshard x Gemshard (Jungle x Jungle, or something specifically about Gemshard x Gemshard?) seems completely random. In my opinion it's worth checking to make sure there's not one, even if it seems unlikely there will be (which is definitely does).

EDIT: I've seen Alpine x Blue yield a Green four times now.

Edited by The_Bucket

I just bred some of my Gemshards to other neutral elemental affinity dragons. I will post the results once they have hatched!

I picked up an AP egg with two green Gemshard parents. The egg hatched green, so they can breed true. I'll post a link when the baby grows up.

Whelp, now I'm curious. I went digging in the hatcheries for patterns.

Granted, the few dozen I've managed to look at so far is still too small a sample size to make any calls, but I've found Greens x Coasts that have produced both green and red offspring. I've seen every color bred with Heartstealers, producing randomly colored offspring. I saw a batch of Blues bred with bred Golds, producing red and green offspring.

Again, the sample size is still too small to tell, but I'm not getting any pattern indications. Dragons of the same breed produce different offspring, dragons of the same origin produce different offspring, dragons of the same breed AND origin produce different offspring...

It is possible that rather than being a set color for a specific pair, it's more of an influence. I've seen a LOT (over ten now) of Greens from Alpine x Blue. There are a few other combinations I've seen quite a few of. I've also seen the occasional exception, but so far none to Alpine x Blue = Green. I'd say it looks like it probably is random, but I'd like to keep checking, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Made a really messy table so we could compare a bit. Not a lot of us have tried overlapping things, but some of these results do overlap and are pointing towards random IMHO.

Blue = Blue Gem

Green = Green Gem

Red = Red Gem

Purple = Biome

Orange = Affinity

Updated to here.

Blue x Green

Green 1

Green x Red

Blue 2

Green 1

Red x Blue

Green 2

Red 1

PB Blue

Blue 1

Green 4

Blue x Alpine

Blue 2

Green 1

Red 2

Blue x Coast

Blue 1

Red 1

Blue x Desert

Green 1

Blue x Forest

Blue 1

Green 1

Red 1

Blue x Volcano

Red 2

Blue x Neutral

Blue 2

Red 2

Blue x Air

Blue 1

Blue x Earth

Red 1

Blue x Life

Green 1

Blue x Light

Red 1

Blue x Time

Green 1

Red 1

Blue x Water

Blue 1

Red 1

PB Green

Blue 1

Green 1

Red 2

Green x Cave

Green 1

Green x Alpine

Green 2

Red 1

Green x Desert

Blue 1

Green x Forest

Green 1

Red 3

Green x Jungle

Green 1

Red 3

Green x Volcano

Blue 1

Green x Neutral

Blue 2

Red 2

Green x Air

Green 1

Red 1

Green x Dark

Green 1

Red 1

Green x Death

Green 1

Red 1

Green x Life

Blue 2

Green 2

Red 1

Green x Light

Red 1

PB Red

Blue 1

Green 1

Red 3

Red x Alpine

Blue 1

Red 1

Red x Coast

Blue 1

Green 2

Red 1

Red x Forest

Blue 1

Green 1

Red x Jungle

Red 1

Red x Volcano

Blue 1

Red 1

Red x Neutral

Blue 1

Red 1

Red x Air

Blue 1

Green 1

Red x Dark

Blue 1

Green 1

Red x Earth

Green 1

Red 1

Red x Life

Blue 1

Red 2

Red x Light

Blue 1

Red 1

Red x Magi

Red 1

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Cave

Green 1

Alpine

Blue 3

Green 3

Red 4

Coast

Blue 2

Green 2

Red 2

Desert

Blue 1

Green 1

Forest

Blue 2

Green 3

Red 4

Jungle

Green 1

Red 4

above + pb gems =

Blue 5

Green 11

Red 10

Volcano

Blue 2

Red 3

Neutral

Blue 5

Red 5

Air

Blue 2

Green 2

Red 1

Dark

Blue 1

Green 2

Red 1

Death

Green 1

Red 1

Earth

Green 1

Red 2

Life

Blue 3

Green 3

Red 3

Light

Blue 1

Red 3

Magi

Red 1

Time

Green 1

Red 1

Water

Blue 1

Red 1

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Red Gemshard x Blue Gemshard (Red Mom and Blue Dad) produced a red Gemshard. Intend to breed them again when able.

I bred my blue and red adults and the egg just hatched into a green.

I think it might just be random, like the Striped Dragons are, but it'd be neat if there was some hidden mechanic behind it.

Updated my table and color coordinated it if that helps anyone. If the table isn't helpful, I'll stop messing with it, though. xP

Updated my table and color coordinated it if that helps anyone. If the table isn't helpful, I'll stop messing with it, though. xP

Table is nice I like the color coordination.

silver (jungle/light) female x jade gem - ruby gem - http://dragcave.net/lineage/gJ4d9

silver (coast/light) male x azure gem - ruby gem - http://dragcave.net/lineage/J0uUC

mistletoe (volcano/life) x jade gem - azure gem - http://dragcave.net/lineage/bPFh1

ruby gem x ruby gem - jade gem - http://dragcave.net/lineage/HaCWF

Edited by rubyshoes

I bred a green jungle male gem with a desert Christmas 14 and their child was blue female (naturally)

I bred a red jungle male gem with a volcano Valentine's 15 and their child was blue male (influenced)

I will be breeding the two together when the male matures, and I'll post the result when it hatches

Edit 1: I forgot to list the mothers' biomes, getting that now

Edit 2: Listed

Edited by DovahInAhrkZoriik