Jedi40

World of Umbria

This is the message from Arcadia (site owner) on Facebook:

"I just wanted to let players know that the site will be down for a few months due to several reasons. The server provider that Umbria’s been using the past few years has become too unreliable and so it’s time to move on to another service. Another is to deal with some of the long term issues that have been plaguing the site for quite some time. I’ve only been able to plug holes with duct tape and that only goes so far for so long. One can only use so many band aids before admitting to the fact that major surgery is required.

All the data has been safely downloaded and there’s various backup copies that were made so no data was lost. When the site does go back up, everyone will still have their creatures and information. I’m sorry that this seems abrupt, but it had to be done because looking at the long term forecast of the site’s reliability and survival- I felt that this was necessary. Looking back- what seemed like a good idea a few years ago, now is counterintuitive to where I wanted to take the site."

Edit: I've been asked to add this link, which is the WoU thread on Tales of Ostlea. A lot of the WoU people seem to be on this site as well.

Edited by Mathcat

Someone on Magistream mentioned (a couple of weeks ago) that the Facebook page had vanished. I suspect that's our answer.

Someone on Magistream mentioned (a couple of weeks ago) that the Facebook page had vanished. I suspect that's our answer.

Well, if anyone knows a way to contact the admin, let me know. I'm wanting to know the exact rights for the sprites.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

Livingdebgirl, who goes by deb on Magistream and Debri on Tales of Ostlea, might have some way of getting in touch with Arcadia or know someone who can. She'd be the one to ask, certainly.

Edit: Failing that, maybe you could try contacting one of the other artists. I believe both Infinis and Odeen did sprites for the site, though it's been long enough that I could be mistaken. They might have rights information.

Edited by Mathcat

Hi Math! <3

WOOKIE! I have been trying to contact you via Skype. But then again, I have been trying to contact most WoU members/staff and Arcadia since WOU cybered December 31, 2015.

Every month, I skype, e-mail and get no response, for she left several artists in the same predicament.

I even skyped with Staven, who said

"I have nothing to with her or WOU"

I'm doing some research, to check out the statute of limitations on websites that artists have either made art for said website, and since it is shut down, is not being viewed or used, (especially not paid for arts) .

But I must tell you, information on that is very hard to find.

Adoptable sites have very few rules outside of TOS

And we all know what general TOS is.

I just don't know what to do, I'm limited myself. I commissioned arts when the site was fading out. I paid for them. But yet, I used them on WoU. Do I have rights to those? IDK.(Can't read the TOS on WOU, it's gone) wink.gif

I'll keep looking tho! wink.gif

Generally, it depends on what the artist and the commissioner agreed upon.

Art intended for use on adoptables websites: as long as the artist is aware of this intention, the art usually becomes property of the adoptables website. The artist needs to be aware that the ownership is being transferred to the site, though.

If nothing is agreed upon, from what I know of European copyright laws at least (this might be outdated info), the art remains property of the artist, and the site is simply granted usage rights.

The safest route by far for both parties is to draft up and sign a contract before any work is done, though. It prevents exactly cases like these... I don't know if anything has ever been signed for WoU?

It should not matter that the art is no longer being viewed or used on said website. As long as the person with whom the ownership lies, has not transferred this ownership, they remain the owner.

Again, unless otherwise has been agreed upon beforehand.

Keep in mind this info can definitely be outdated and should not be used in legal situations.

Generally, it depends on what the artist and the commissioner agreed upon.

Art intended for use on adoptables websites: as long as the artist is aware of this intention, the art usually becomes property of the adoptables website. The artist needs to be aware that the ownership is being transferred to the site, though.

If nothing is agreed upon, from what I know of European copyright laws at least (this might be outdated info), the art remains property of the artist, and the site is simply granted usage rights.

The safest route by far for both parties is to draft up and sign a contract before any work is done, though. It prevents exactly cases like these... I don't know if anything has ever been signed for WoU?

It should not matter that the art is no longer being viewed or used on said website. As long as the person with whom the ownership lies, has not transferred this ownership, they remain the owner.

Again, unless otherwise has been agreed upon beforehand.

Keep in mind this info can definitely be outdated and should not be used in legal situations.

There was a signed agreement and because of that I'm wanting to buy back some of the sprites, mostly the ones I'm really happy with. If I could get in contact with Arcadia and get the skinny on what's going on with the site and if it's never coming back up. If it's not coming back up, I would be interested in re buying some of the sprites I made.

I was intending to tell Arcadia that I wanted to let other people make putti birds and use the lines they want as a once a year contest or something, but I had trouble logging in and then finding the site, because it was down. At this point I'd just like to buy some of the better sprites back to see if they can't be re used on other sites.

Hi Math! <3

WOOKIE! I have been trying to contact you via Skype. But then again, I have been trying to contact most WoU members/staff and Arcadia since WOU cybered December 31, 2015.

Every month, I skype, e-mail and get no response, for she left several artists in the same predicament.

I even skyped with Staven, who said

"I have nothing to with her or WOU"

I'm doing some research, to check out the statute of limitations on websites that artists have either made art for said website, and since it is shut down, is not being viewed or used, (especially not paid for arts) .

But I must tell you, information on that is very hard to find.

Adoptable sites have very few rules outside of TOS

And we all know what general TOS is.

I just don't know what to do, I'm limited myself. I commissioned arts when the site was fading out. I paid for them. But yet, I used them on WoU. Do I have rights to those? IDK.(Can't read the TOS on WOU, it's gone) wink.gif

I'll keep looking tho! wink.gif

It appears that no one can contact the main admin, so I'm going to go ahead and close this thread under the assumption that the site is closed.

If you did art for the site, please contact debgirl if you have any questions/concerns. It appears they are trying to get things taken care of.

Good luck!