Pixxelation

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is a sitcom on Netflix penned by the one and only Tina Fey. It follows the story of the highly-positive, often-cheerful Kimmy Schmidt, a woman who, along with three others, was held prisoner in a bunker for fifteen years in a cult. They were told by the often incomprehensible Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne (senior prophet and CFO of Savior Rick's Spooky Church of the Scary Apocalypse) that the world had ended in a nuclear disaster, and that they were the only living things left on the planet. The show takes place immediately following the women's freeing from the cult by a SWAT team, and follows Kimmy's life afterward as she fights to adjust to the modern world. She moves to New York, finds a roommate to live with, and gets a job, but the cult has a lasting impact on her due to missing the years and years of culture and technology that developed while she was kept underground.

The show's satirical nature and tendency to poke fun at things such as media racial biases and cultural stereotypes has given it overwhelmingly positive reviews, including the elusive five stars on Rotten Tomatoes. However, some people view aspects of the show's satire, particularly characters--such as a Vietnamese immigrant who often refers to entirely fabricated Vietnamese culture, and whose accent is not at all Vietnamese--are leading to some controversy among critics. Personally, I view such characters as poking fun at the ignorance people have of foreign cultures, and I see them as using intentionally incorrect information to draw this issue to light. Some critics disagree with this, but many agree about it all being satire.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is already one of my favorite comedies, and I've already bingewatched the entirety of the first season. Are there any other mole people out there :P ?

Edited by PieMaster