voidrabbit

SUNDERED SKIES: Fall of Salem || ACCEPTING

"Very excited!" Pastel replied, moving to lean somewhat dangerously over the railing, staring at the skies below. Soon, soon . . .

~

Maestyriel was not pleased to be interrupted in her thoughts by shuffling; annoyed, the elf tapped on one of her fancy glass trinkets with a slim finger, allowing only a little of her frustration to show through. She didn't see what was so interesting about making land, but with an exasperated sigh she pushed herself to her feet and slowly made her way onto deck.

"Good morning," she greeted the others, too politely and too distantly.

CORLISS MCELWEE AND SINNEFAIN

"Well," she said, responding to Thrannek, "that's not good! They should have all the parts you need; hope you find them quickly!"

She accepted Jackie's kiss of her hand, and called to him as he went back to his quarters - "Jackie-boy, just try not to get us in trouble, eh? I know it's not entirely your fault, but still."

She turned back to Kita. "Should be. We don't honestly need much in the way of parts since I found that pipe, but we do need some new tools. Fain's especially," she said, smiling at the Wildling. Sinnefain smiled back, then went back to staring off into space.

"Careful, Pastel! We don't want anyone else falling overboard, 'specially not this close to an Isle," she called out to Pastel, noticing his position. That kid... she thought with a slight smile on her face. He was amazing in a fight, but times like these he seemed rather like a puppy.

"Hm... do you think it's just one leaving port, Zefel? The Orcs don't sail much, but there are some reputable ones among their bunch."

Zefel shook his head. "Nope. It's not coming from that direction. I'd say that it's coming from a lower island. Oh wait, actually I think it might be an Elven ship, possibly from heartland. It's just so far away, and moving so erratically that I can't tell.

CAPTAIN BIRKITA SHATTERBLADE

"Those shouldn't be too hard to get. Good ones will be expensive, though. I have some business with a client who needs a shipment in from Bridgeways. He and I are meeting tonight, and I want to bring some of the crew to help our image." Birkita paused, evaluating what she had said. "Well, to make us look respectable. A good portion of the crew... do not."

An elven ship from Heartland? Gods, if it's the Oakthorn... the captain drew in a breath. The last thing the ship needed was a run-in with bounty hunters, especially because much of her crew consisted of free wildlings.

"Zefel, see if it has the official seal of the Willow Queen's court... and keep me updated if it changes course. It's getting awfully crowded in my sky..."

"Wait, it's coming straight towards us now. And I can see it more clearly. It's an Elven ship, all right, but it has these weird leaf-oar thingies. And it looks like it has some kind of seal. I have no clue what the Court's seal looks like, can you tell me?" Zefel handed the telescope to Birkita. He turned around and shouted, "Everyone, get your weapons! We might have a fight on our hands!"

Edited by MrSpyro

As soon as the cool brass of the telescope touched the palm of Birkita's open hand, she pulled herself away from the wheel and bolted for the railing on the port side of the ship. She called for Zefel or Liss to take command of the wheel as she extended the scope and lifted it to her eye. It took a moment for her to find the ship in question, but when she did she was surprised she had missed it. It was large, powerful and graceful in form. It resembled one of the Oakthorn battleships that lurked in the skies above and around Heartland. That didn't mean it was still Oakthorn; many captains of transport vessels bought decommissioned ships at a discount, and a part of Kita hoped that was the case here. Hoped. [/] Her gaze settled on the side of the ship where familiar markings stood bright against the greenish wood. The image of a willow tree, adorned with flowers and thorns, with a 24-pointed star superimposed on its trunk; the Willow Queen's seal. The captain lowered the scope.

"Whichever one of you at the wheel... prepare for descent. We're going to pass under the Meeting Place, and if we're lucky, we won't be noticed. But if we are...everyone who doesn't have to be up here is going to go below deck and ready the cannons."

"I'm on it." Zefel hurtled towards the cabin and took the wheel. The prow of the ship tilted downwards, so they'd sail under the Meeting Place. "Dang it, why did it have to be the Willow Queen?" He said to himself. Zefel hated elves. Well, most elves. Scratch that, some elves. Actually, just the Willow Queen and her court. They just had that "everything is my business" attitude. They were an invasive species. If you so much as speak negatively of them, they'd attack you relentlessly, either physically, or politically, until you beg for forgiveness and then they'd still torment you. Zefel even heard a rumor that the Trade Council wanted to quarantine the elves in Heartland because of how nosy they were, but the court threatened to launch a full-scale attack or something. But there was nothing he could do about that. He just had to hope that the other ship didn't notice them.

"Aw, hell," Corliss said at the realization that it was a ship of the Willow Queen's court. "Sinnefain, start gathering the other wildlings first. You guys are the ones we'll hide first. Then it's any non-combatants, and they can start manning the cannons. They're old beasties; they need time to get ready. Get our passenger and hide him, if he'll let you."

Sinnefain nodded and ran off.

"Kita! You need my help up here, or should I go start in on the cannons?"

Kita glanced back over her shoulder. Images of Osark slipping over the edge of the deck and into the glowing abyss flashed before her mind's eye, temporarily overshadowing the lithe form of Corliss. Combat was dangerous, and in the event of an ambush, anyone could be killed. A good captain didn't choose favorites... but Birkita would be lost without her beloved engineer. She inhaled sharply and bit down on her bottom lip. Another peek through the telescope revealed that so far the Oakthorn ship hadn't changed course. Perhaps they would get through this one...?

"Corliss...I'm going to need someone to hold the ship together in case we have to go full burn. We might get lucky and slip into the dock unnoticed, but... we also might not. You and this ship are two of the only things to stick to my side reliably in the past year. See to it that you stay there, okay?"

Upon the crew sighting the ship, Pastel scrambled immediately backwards, golden eyes wide with alarm and just the faintest hint of interest and pleasure. An encounter? With elves of the Willow Court?

The young male ran his hand through his hair, messing up tufts of purple. He was indifferent about the elves, just as he was about most things, but considering the number of Wildlings they had on board . . .

The captain and her lover were really too kind, Pastel thought. He felt for his small knives, hidden on various spots of his body, and thought of his duel pistols tucked at his side. As the ship drew closer, the golden-eyed boy ran his fingers over his guns, adrenaline pumping his veins. An inquisitive gaze watched the scene about to unfold, and Pastel eagerly tossed himself into the now-working crew.

"Anything I can do?" the boy chirped.

~

Well. This day had finally been different. Maestyriel had known the ship before any of the other idiots on board had come to a conclusion; well, who else ran such elegant ships and sailed the skies with such grace? They could hardly expect it to be a mechanism run by humans or--the Wild forbid--orcs. Upon slighting the Willow Queen's seal, the elf stalked her way over to the railing for a better look.

Her kin; Maestyriel entwined long fingers in her loose hair, almost allowing herself to abandon dignity in her excitement. She cleared her throat, eager to prove herself to whomever may be on board, but abruptly the female elf paused.

What would they think of her? She was travelling on a ship with all kinds of different species, including--how disturbing--free Wildlings. Any story she managed to concoct still smelt of shame.

The elf groaned. She might as well go hide now; there was no way she'd be able to face her prideful friends when she appeared so commonplace. So, what? Was she stuck on this ship forever?

Lost in her thoughts, the female elf reminded herself distantly to get her medical kit. If it came down to battle . . . well, who knows.

Birkita turned to Pastel; his excitement and loyalty had earned him a place of consideration for first mate. She handed him the telescope; now was as good a time as any to test his leadership skills, she decided.

"I need you to make sure that that ship stays on its course. If it so much as turns an inch I want to know about it. If it does you tell Jackie to head below deck and tell Corliss and Sinnafain to go full burn; we can't fight them, but we can run, and that's sometimes all you can do."

Corliss nodded. "Shall do!" she said, running towards the stairs.

"Are you sure, Jackie?" Sinnefain asked the feline wildling. "Those'll be Oakthorns on that ship... you know how they hate free wildlings."

Pastel took the telescope gratefully, exaggerating a salute. "Will do!" he chirped, raising the thing to his eye and taking in the large ship that was currently incoming. "It's going steady," he reported, tracing the elegant elven structure with the telescope. "Oh--it's dipping slightly."

The purple-haired boy held in his breath, waiting with anticipation to see what would happen next.

"All the better. Now just let me get my Arming sword. He hurried down the stairs and into his room. Above deck he heard yelling and general chaos. His sword was just behind his bed. As he leaned in to grab it he fell onto his bed. It would be so easy just to sleep... But he had the fire's of revenge in his heart. But he bed would was so comfy and all he had to do Now all he had to do was close his eyes and everything would go

Rankor

He had nothing against the willow queen but considering how many wildings they had on board they could be in trouble. As the Bloodfall traveled under the island he instantly lost all thought of trouble. He just looked up. His mission was to find out about how they floated and why they fell. He climbed up the mast and touched the bottom of the Meeting place. They may make it, they may make it. Wait was that yelling on there? The elves seemed to be scootering around on the ship. Unfortunately his eye did not give him super vision.

Edited by Evil sethoss

Thrannek looked over the ship and the small figures moving about on it's deck, his orange eyepieces rotating as they focused in on the vessel. He unclasped his cloak to allow his limbs full range of motion. Making a quick trip to below decks for his rifle, he opened the chamber and placed some metal shrapnel in before going back above decks to wait to see what the Elven ship would do.

Yarzoth

Yarzoth looked in direction of the incoming vessel and anger filled his face. "Bloody mongrels, it has to be Willow Queen, hasn't it?" He mumbled under his nose. It wasn't that he didn't like the fights - he surely loved them - but it wasn't nicest thing to do when you were low on stock, exhausted after the travel, just woken up and not that long after losing the first mate of the ship you're in... Nevertheless, ignoring that Thrannek didn't respond to him, as it happened many times already, the Drakin prepared to the fight. He didn't need to go to his quarters to get all the things needed - he already had all necessary equipment with himself: some potions, an ornate dragon blunderbuss he stole from the temple he ran away, some ammo for his weapon and a curved knife.

"Let's wait what 'tis scurvy dog will do now..." He said more to himself than any of the crew that was preparing for the fight. "Cap'n, anythin' quick needs t' be done?" Yarzoth asked Kita, the captain at Bloodfall Blade.

Zefel perked up once he heard all of the commotion going on outside of the cabin. He quickly halted the ship, and bolted out onto the deck. He stared at the approaching Oakthorn ship. It didn't seem like they were being fired upon. Out of confusion, he asked, to no one in particular, "What's going on? Are they attacking us?"

Birkita looked up from her flintlock to study the blip in the distance that was the Oakthorn ship. Almost immediately, a crack and a boom echoed in the void. A cannonball hurled just past Kita's head, sailing neatly over the deck, never touching the ship. She almost dropped her weapon in her effort to dodge the ball. She staggered to her feet and gestured at Zefel.

"Warning shot! Change course...we're going to ram the damn ship!" she called. If she could just get onto the Oakthorn ship, the fight would be theirs...

Zefel simply nodded. He went back to the cabin, and took the wheel again. He turned the Bloodfall Blade towards the Oakthorn ship, and surged forward, full speed ahead. Zefel wondered whether any of the crew members had any bad blood with the Willow Queen. Besides the Wildlings on board, of course. It didn't seem like anyone did, but nobody really knew much of anybody else's backstories, so it was anyone's guess.

Edited by MrSpyro

A loud sound reached Piccia's ears moments before the ship shook, and she had been at this sort of thing long enough to know that it was from cannon fire. She drained a bit of water she was seeping the fungi in to make sure it doesn't spill any more of the precious liquid, then walked over to the nice china knife holder that was nicked for her a raid long ago and picked it up. She made her way to the door that she kept perpetually covered with wet cloth, grasped the bronze handle, and then opened it enough to be able to watch closely who would come down the stairs.

Pastel stumbled just as the large boom resounded throughout the ship, shaking the ground. As the ship suddenly turned, the purple-haired boy slipped again and spent the next minute attempting to straighten himself. He had been so into watching the ship as carefully as Birkita commanded that the sudden attack had greeted him by surprise--as quickly as he'd regained his senses, the boy watched the approaching ship with golden eyes, tucking the telescope into his belt and slipping his fingers around the cool grip of his pistols, running around the deck to hold onto one of the ropes in case of emergency.

As the Oakthorn elves began shooting cannonballs, Pastel felt a rush of ecstasy run through his blood as the boy rolled out of the way of an incoming cannonball and looked over at Birkita and Zefel.

"Guys," he mouthed, "I don't think they like us being here."

~

As the Bloodfall Blade began heading full stream towards the Oakthorn ship, Maestyriel's eyes widened as she watched them get closer and closer to the Willow Queen's crest, not slowing down.

"What are you doing?" she marched over to Birkita, looking nonplussed. The elf flicked a strand of elegant green hair from her face that had come undone during the shaking, and allowed herself to show just enough anger. "I will not have you devastating the Queen's ships like a bunch of savages!"

Edited by Lady_Lunevis

Kita nodded at Pastel in agreement. Whatever the Oakthorn wanted, they weren't going to get it. She planted her feet firmly on the liftwood deck and grabbed onto one of the ropes hanging from the mast. The ship chugged ahead, lurching forward like a great, lumbering beast. The vibration from the engine rumbled throughout the ship. It almost drowned out the sound of footsteps. Almost.

The elf doctor had taken the Captain by surprise; she wasn’t expecting to see Maestyriel above deck. Birkita's expression shifted to one of exasperation. "They shot first!"

The ship eventually gained enough momentum to the point where Zefel didn't need to steer the ship. He darted back out onto the deck, stopped to catch his breath, (Constantly moving between the deck and cabin was tiring) and said, "Why would they be attacking us? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be chasing three stray Wildlings, two of whom pronounced dead and the other bought legally. The Oakthorn wouldn't just attack us for no reason either; considering how close we are to the Meeting Place, word would get out if they did and make their already bad reputation even worse." Zefel dodged a volley of thorns shot off of an Oakthorn's armor, and replied with a few shots from his flintlocks. "that leaves only two possibilities, either someone hired them to capture us for whatever reason, but with their high prices and bad rep, I doubt anybody would be that desperate, which means that the Willow Queen probably wants something from us. Without giving the captain a chance to reply, Zefel dashed towards the prow of the ship, and hollered, "What business do you have firing upon the crew of the Bloodfall Blade?"

((Oddi can decide the response))

"Aw hell," Corliss said, hearing more bad sounds from the engine. That was a gasket, and.... there's the pipe. Dammit! She thought to herself. The engine wasn't happy with going full steam ahead... it never was. She hauled herself over to the new break, listening for more. They were easy to patch problems, but it still wasn't good.

Sinnefain was looking over a cannon as she heard the first shot go over. She quickened her pace, moving from cannon to cannon to be sure they wouldn't blow up in anyone's face.

Jackie

When the first shot was fired he barely stirred. As it flew over the ship the boom sent some dust tumbling down from the roof. Jackie inhaled some and woke up choking. As he coughed he realized he had fallen asleep. "Darn my feline sleep habits" he cursed. He grabbed his sword and ran up on deck. He just stood there smiling, waiting for his time of vengeance.

Galton

As he heard the sounds of cannons he ran to the closet where the captain had all the extra weapons. He looked and found the hammer he always used. As he ran up the the stairs he yelled: "Where's the bloody mongrels?!?"

Rankor

He climbed down the mast and asked "Why in the skies are those elves attacking us?"

((Short post is short))