Jazeki

So Your Dragons Refuse To Go Near Each Other

Aaah! I took so long creating a pretty stairstep lineage. Then the two 6th Gens refused each other. Grr.

Has anyone found that dragons which haven't been adults for more than a day are more prone to refusals? Please discuss any observations for or against here.

I'd love to test it by collecting 7 eggs of the same breed, hatching them as soon as possible without incubate and letting them grow up. As soon as they are adults, getting another 7 eggs of the same breed, hatching them as soon as possible without incubate and then, once they're all grown up, breeding all fourteen to mates of the same breed (not from the experiment). In this way, 7 of the dragons would have been adults for a few minutes to a few hours, depending on how close together you got them, and 7 of the dragons would have been adults for about six days.

Unfortunately, I rarely have the eggslots to do such a thing.

Please, please, please don't tell me that it isn't so because there's no reason for it to be so. I've heard that already every time I've mentioned it before. I know there doesn't seem to be a reason for this to be so. But I also know that 6 of the 7 dragons I've bred straight away refused. It'd be nice for the theory to at least be considered.

For what it's worth, the data I've collected for my own scroll doesn't show this.

Keeping in mind that refusals are only relevant to the first attempt at breeding a pair (as in, a pair that has previously not refused never will), however, it stands to reason you would get the impression that younger dragons on your scroll would refuse more: You're definitely breeding those for the first time, after all.

I've not seen age factor in at all, but like what I presume is true for most people, I rarely spontaneously decide to breed old dragons together with old dragons in a constellation I haven't tried before, so my data for old x old is very thin. My data for new x new and new x old is very extensive, though, and there I've spotted no difference.

I have the same rate of refusals with "young" dragons than with "old" ones, it makes no difference, I guess. When they have to refuse, they will refuse, no matter if you try to breed them 5 minutes after they grow up or a month later.

I have the same rate of refusals with "young" dragons than with "old" ones, it makes no difference, I guess. When they have to refuse, they will refuse, no matter if you try to breed them 5 minutes after they grow up or a month later.

How often do you breed 'young' dragons, and how often do you breed 'old' dragons? Because it seems to me that most people usually stick to one, so they don't really find much difference.

Keeping in mind that refusals are only relevant to the first attempt at breeding a pair (as in, a pair that has previously not refused never will), however, it stands to reason you would get the impression that younger dragons on your scroll would refuse more: You're definitely breeding those for the first time, after all.

True, but in my case I've bred plenty of old dragons with old dragons I've never bred them with before, and I rarely get refusals from them.

I'm going to merge this with the existing refusal experience thread.

Updated the first post to reflect the most recent refusals posted and the thread merge.

If anyone wants to do MessengerDragon's experiment and report their findings, feel free.

Just recently I had a white striped dragon refuse to breed with my turpentine dragon. I was like, dang, no one likes turps do they? Poor turpentine dragons, they just get no love, even though they have those snazzy yellow on black spots.

Edited by M00nSlippers

I had a 2G Guardian from Silver Tinsel refuse a 2G Guardian from Silver Shimmer today.

How old are we considering old for the purpose of MD's question? I can get some data for this if we're talking two or three months.

There are three breedings of new pairs in my action log at the moment, and all three are refusals dry.gif

Data:

Apr 03, 2015, 04:51 am: sweetling X bleeding moon, sweetling grew up on Feb 16, 2015 and the bleeding moon on Mar 26, 2015

Apr 03, 2015, 04:49 am: ice X white, ice grew up on Mar 28, 2015 and the white on Apr 01, 2012 (yes, he has been waiting that long for a mate, he has refused two now)

Apr 02, 2015, 03:24 am: black tea X solstice, black tea grew up on Mar 30, 2015 and the solstice grew up on Dec 27, 2014 (this solstice has also refused two mates now)

I almost never have pairs that are both new, but I get plenty of refusals with older dragons...

Ah, having read the first post about the experiment again I get the picture better. We wouldn't have to raise eggs specifically for the experiment so long as we decide if it's going to count before we press 'breed' to avoid bias.

Maybe make 3 age categories for time since becoming an adult (<1 day, 1 to 2 weeks, >2 months). If you find that a new pair you want to breed fits one of these categories record their category and whether they refuse. When we've got 50 - 100 data points for each category we see if there's any meaningful difference between them?

I'd set it up so both dragons have to be in the same class so we can actually keep track. If there's a longer-range 'gradient' of refusal you're not going to be able to tell as it averages if you're not being careful about the mate's age.

Just recently I had a white striped dragon refuse to breed with my turpentine dragon. I was like, dang, no one likes turps do they? Poor turpentine dragons, they just get no love, even though they have those snazzy yellow on black spots.

Turpentines probably have higher refusal rates; it's hinted at in their description:

Many other breeds consider turpentine dragons to be pests, so they primarily breed among themselves

...as well as in their release post:

This foul-smelling breed might have a hard time breeding with others.

I'd recommend ignoring turpentine refusals in this thread, just to make sure they're not muddying the water. smile.gif

Just had 3 refusals in a row, I'm on a role here. *is not amused*

2x CB Colossus x CB Magma

and this Rosebud and this Green Copper ;_; (fortunately I have another Rosebud that I can try the Copper with...)

and a fourth refusal in a row...

M CB Carmine Wyvern x F CB Red Gemshard

I'll see if I can get a fifth refusal in one sitting. tongue.gif ... Nope, the fifth one was the charm.

Edited by stagazer_7

I'd recommend ignoring turpentine refusals in this thread, just to make sure they're not muddying the water. smile.gif

My turpentines happen to be good breeders that don't refuse often. I've included them as this is a discussion of refusals for all breeds (including those that are more likely to be refused).

I'll be updating the first post ASAP.

4 minutes before 4:00 DC time, Sunday, April 5th

Refusal: Transmutia (Gold) http://dragcave.net/lineage/sHsG & Heartseaze (Goth) http://dragcave.net/lineage/V5gL

Haven't been breeding even established pairings, but someone asked me and I tried breeding between one new egg hatching and picking up another.

The other Goth did not Refuse, so this was one out of 2 efforts and in this case not a biggie as long as no more CB Golds are Refused.

Updated to Syphoneira's post with refusals. I also added a new category to the first page for new releases since they seem to have returned to DC.

GRRRRR ....

I just realised that his lineage would look beautiful with her lineage and got super excited. Should have expected them to refuse. dry.gif

She was renamed in punishment for her pickiness, because he's always been a champ.

Date of Refusal: 11/04/15.

Time of Refusal: 09:10am.

Pairing That Refused: HIMx HER

Dragon Breeds: Winter Magi x Royal Crimson.

Edited by NatPur

Easter Day - I COULD go dig up the actual pairs if it's critical, but I didn't see this thread till today.

I bred all my CB and 2 gen stripes and got 5 refusals.

Though I am one of those who doesn't feel it has got worse.

I do sometimes wonder if you get more when you are breeding a LOT of one breed - did anyone else get a lot in the Easter breeding spree ?

This looks like a place to keep track of refusals...

Suggestion: maybe instead of making a new thread, just edit your thread. To make it easier for yourself. (Just a thought)

This looks like a place to keep track of refusals...

Suggestion: maybe instead of making a new thread, just edit your thread. To make it easier for yourself. (Just a thought)

Who is your suggestion for, if you don't mind my asking?

@Fuzz- I think I only had one or two refusals while I was breeding for the Easter thread.

And updated to Odeen's post with refusal info.