angelicdragonpuppy

Make old default site skin a skin option

The new default skin is pretty, but the old one is what I've been attached to for 5+ years and it's still the one I prefer--nothing else looks right to me! Since people who use alternative skins got to keep theirs, can the old skin be made into an option so those of us who liked it can also continue to use our skin of choice?

I know there's currently a thread to REDUCE skin numbers, but I believe this one would continue to be used to a substantial degree and is worth keeping around.

The new default skin is pretty, but the old one is what I've been attached to for 5+ years and it's still the one I prefer--nothing else looks right to me! Since people who use alternative skins got to keep theirs, can the old skin be made into an option so those of us who liked it can also continue to use our skin of choice?

I know there's currently a thread to REDUCE skin numbers, but I believe this one would continue to be used to a substantial degree and is worth keeping around.

Just in case the St Patrick's day skin gets dumped - I support this.

Support. Wouldn't use it myself (I'm perfectly happy with the new default) but there's plenty of people who would to make it worthwhile.

I do like Nakase's design too, although I'm using St. Patrick's, at least for a few days. It's a March thing. lol

I do know how traumatic change can be for some people though, and having the Classic Cave available to those who want it would be helpful, even for those who aren't traumatized. I support this idea.

I support it because many of my friends prefered it over the new one and they can't say it here because they don't have a forum account. ☺

*um why is there a demand to reduce site skins? I personaly think we need more ~ better ones. The only skin that looks nice to me is Portal 2 dark one and I would be really bumped if it gets removed.. sleep.gif

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I do like Nakase's design too, although I'm using St. Patrick's, at least for a few days. It's a March thing. lol

I do know how traumatic change can be for some people though, and having the Classic Cave available to those who want it would be helpful, even for those who aren't traumatized. I support this idea.

I'm not averse to change; I have just had to switch to St Paddy's because the new one is so slow and jerky - I LOVE the image and have it as my wallpaper. But as a skin - for me, so far, it's a non-starter.

Support! I love the new skin but the previous default should definitely be an option. I find all the other options break immersion far too much for my tastes, so if I couldn't use this new skin (for whatever reason, like the moving background), I'd be really upset.

Totally support!

I LOVE the art on the new skin, but it really seems to be slowing things badly when hunting and the other skins (probably because my monitor screen states that the brightness cannot be adjusted for some unmentioned reason,) seem either painfully bright or too dark and make it hard to see.

So I'm using the new one, but I'm really here for the dragons and liked the old skin, which worked for me and seems utterly appropriate to the site.

Edit: just to mention, I, like Fuzzy, don't mind change as change, (although I do sometimes find change for the sake of change objectionable,) and would happily continue with the gorgeous new skin if it wasn't interfering with hunting.

I am also not bothered by the scrolling movement, which is actually rather cool, just by increased lag...

Edited by Syphoneira

Support from me as well. I did switch to St. Paddy's skin in the beginning until I grew used to the new colorful default, but I would love to see the old default return as a 'classic' look.

I'd rather address the lagging and etc. issues people are experiencing with the new skin, personally. The new skin is the old default skin, just updated, which is why I'd prefer to see the problems people are having being solved.

If there is some means of preventing the lag, I'd personally be super-happy to stick with the beautiful new skin, although those suffering from motion sickness may not feel that way...

I had no idea that the old skin had been updated to produce the new one - I suppose that means that the old one is no longer an option?

I'd rather address the lagging and etc. issues people are experiencing with the new skin, personally. The new skin is the old default skin, just updated, which is why I'd prefer to see the problems people are having being solved.

The thing is, though, even without the lag I prefer the old one. I liked the big, easy to click links. I liked not having a colorful, detailed background distracting me from my dragons. I liked having more empty tan space around my lineages.

I want my old scroll back...! ;A;

The new skin is not the same as the old default skin.

I would love to see the old skin available, because the new one gives me headaches, and I've seen

several posts where people are getting motion sickness from it. Having the old skin available would

make the site more accessible I think, and people wouldn't be getting sick from the way the new

one moves.

Support for having the old skin as an available skin-option smile.gif

i would not use it myself, but some people probably would for various reasons. Since we already have options to choose other skins, I see no problem in this suggestion.

I will probably keep using the new background since I find it pretty and more interesting to look at, but that's just a personal opinion happy.gif

But it isn't, or it would ALL show ALL the time and wouldn't roll out in a nauseating fashion as we scroll down. The old one didn't do that. Open the page and it was just THERE. The eggs bottom right don't show up till you hit the bottom of a scroll page.

This is what I get when I open my front page (in another browser where I am not usually logged in, so I don't risk losing Paddy's ! smile.gif)

user posted image

As you can see (and I left a bit of the bottom bar so you can see I haven't cut it off !) - the whole image is NOT uploaded; the only way I get the lot is at a 50% zoom when I can't see the names of my dragons etc. And scrolling down there is the seasick effect. Not nice. And one did not get that with the old skin, nor does one with Paddy's.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I haven't noticed any lag (tho I haven't tried in the biomes yet), but I *hate* the scrolling and I would very much prefer the old skin. I echo angelicdragonpuppy's reasons.

As I've said in other threads, the new artwork is beautiful but unfortunately I can't use it.

For the first time in seven years of playing, I've had to change skins because I can't risk both the movement and the contrast of the new layout design triggering my migraines. None of the others are as easy on my eyes as the original, however, because most of them have either bright colors or lots of contrast.

Honestly, this is an accessibility issue, and for those players with visual issues a plain and minimal design such as the old default would be a very considerate thing to do to keep the game inclusive for all kinds of players.

As I've said in other threads, the new artwork is beautiful but unfortunately I can't use it.

For the first time in seven years of playing, I've had to change skins because I can't risk both the movement and the contrast of the new layout design triggering my migraines. None of the others are as easy on my eyes as the original, however, because most of them have either bright colors or lots of contrast.

Honestly, this is an accessibility issue, and for those players with visual issues a plain and minimal design such as the old default would be a very considerate thing to do to keep the game inclusive for all kinds of players.

I'm in agreement with caffkitty and really glad I'm not the only one voicing this issue. I had to switch to another. think I'm using the darker skin to prevent the headaches

Just came to the forum to say that:

None of the skins we have now are nice to my eyes or/and to how my dragons look to me. I used the old default the whole time (almost 2 years).

^^^^^^

I want my old scroll back...! ;A;

^^^^^^

I had no idea that the old skin had been updated to produce the new one - I suppose that means that the old one is no longer an option?

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

This would not affect me personally--I love the new skin--but I still think it's a good idea. The new skin is very different from the original; I don't think it's fair to say it's just an update.

Just realized what was making my lineages look different--the page really IS more different than just "less tan," it's darker and has a gradient from top to bottom. Bleh. The only true similarity between the old default and the new default is the shape and color of our "scroll," really, so I think there's plenty enough difference to justify bringing it back. Please, please... ;___;

Support! I liked the new design, but had to switch to another because of the motion sickness. I loved the old one a lot, had been using it since I started playing in 2008.

I also support. While I don't get motion sickness, and the artwork is indeed fantastic(It's from the facebook page, isn't it?) having it on the main page is a bit much. If it could be an option, even, that you can click in the account page, that'd probably solve 90% of the problems. The biggest issue is the moving background. I bet if it was a solid color like the old one was, it wouldn't give people motion sickness.

An option to click on the account page, enabling or disabling background images, would probably be best, or like said, add the old default as a skin.

I support this. The artwork is gorgeous but recently it started moving when I scroll down my scroll and that makes my head hurt. I also miss the larger links with the "Dragon Cave" font. Although if the old skin does come back as an option would we be able to keep the clock?

Support. The new top-of-page links are a lot smaller than the old ones, and the new design tends to lag when spam-refreshing a view page. I'd like to have the option to use the old design.