Akiresa

ANSWERED:Mint Dragon Breeding

Since mint dragons are at size of pigmys i think....well maybe bit larger. I think they should be able to breed with them perhaps? I just thought cause they are too small to logically breed with regular ones....

Edited by Akiresa

Since mint dragons are at size of pigmys i think....well maybe bit larger. I think they should be able to breed with them perhaps? I just thought cause they are too small to logically breed with regular ones....

That's not going to happen. And if it were seriously suggested, there would be howls of rage from people with lineages. Like me xd.png

I see where you're coming from and I would love to see extra pygmy combinations, plus Mint x pygmies would be super-cute... but I don't see this idea being approved as Mints simply aren't a pygmy breed. It's similar to the lore-given facts that drakes are not being able to breed with wyverns and other regular dragons breeds - I'd love to breed Glaucius Drakes with a ton of other dragons.... but it's not possible.... alas!

Edited by stagazer_7

I see where you're coming from and I would love to see extra pygmy combinations, plus Mint x pygmies would be super-cute... but I don't see this idea being approved as Mints simply aren't a pygmy breed. It's similar to the lore-given facts that drakes are not being able to breed with wyverns and other regular dragons breeds - I'd love to breed Glaucius Drakes with a ton of other dragons.... but it's not possible.... alas!

well that makes sencse restrictions for drakes as drakes perhaps counts as different breed i was more thinking size varienty cause HOW can mint being mere dog size breed with 4floor building sized dragon? hen logically its breeding range could be pigmys biggrin.gif

That's not going to happen. And if it were seriously suggested, there would be howls of rage from people with lineages. Like me xd.png.png

Rages off lineagers will be unventable if tis is sugested witch i did suggest right now xd.png

Edited by Akiresa

Mints, while a tiny sprite.. are the size of a small car according to stats thrown out a few years ago. The average pygmy, ranges from small cat to medium dog sized. Regular pygmies were meant to fit on your finger, and are defined as being the smallest possible breed of pygmy (grr) but were changed to be cat sized due to being "too small".

I have had concepts that were meant to be cross-over breeds, but even with well thought out mechanics.. the sites code cant/wont allow for it. (My concept idea could have been bred to either full sized or pygmy dragons, and the resulting babies could only be bred to whatever the parents size was. If you bred to pygmy, all the bred baby could breed with was pygmies. If you bred full size, then the baby could only ever be bred to full sized dragons. The code simply couldnt/wouldnt support it at the time)

Mints, while a tiny sprite.. are the size of a small car according to stats thrown out a few years ago. The average pygmy, ranges from small cat to medium dog sized. Regular pygmies were meant to fit on your finger, and are defined as being the smallest possible breed of pygmy (grr) but were changed to be cat sized due to being "too small".

I have had concepts that were meant to be cross-over breeds, but even with well thought out mechanics.. the sites code cant/wont allow for it. (My concept idea could have been bred to either full sized or pygmy dragons, and the resulting babies could only be bred to whatever the parents size was. If you bred to pygmy, all the bred baby could breed with was pygmies. If you bred full size, then the baby could only ever be bred to full sized dragons. The code simply couldnt/wouldnt support it at the time)

the way Mints describtion givven gave a feel they are even smaller than a car if they are car sized then they could hunt hares deers and perhaps fish fishes at shallow ends of rivers like bears

well that makes sencse restrictions for drakes as drakes perhaps counts as different breed i was more thinking size varienty cause HOW can mint being mere dog size breed with 4floor building sized dragon? hen logically its breeding range could be pigmys biggrin.gif

Rages off lineagers will be unventable if tis is sugested witch i did suggest right now xd.png

If I recall discussion of dragons' sizes right, mints are actually the size of small cars. Regardless of their size, they're a separate genus/species than pygmies. Think of it in terms of trying to breed a housecat with a lion. They're both felines, but you're not going to get babies from them.

Edited by Jazeki

I was under the impression that mints were the size of a VW Bug.

i was more thinking size varienty cause HOW can mint being mere dog size breed with 4floor building sized dragon?

Love conquers all? tongue.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

Drakes are smaller than the smallest dragon ("5. Are small, ranging in size between the size of a cat and as big as a husky." - dragcave wiki, drake features). Pygmies are smaller than or equal to the smallest drakes.

Using drakes as a starting point for the smallest a mint can possibly be, would be around the size of a dog slightly larger than a husky. I do remember it being specified once that they were indeed the size of a small car though.

Either way, its an idea that has come up multiple times and ends up shot down because the code just doesnt work that way sad.gif

edit: forgot some important words ... oops.

Edited by Thuban

Drakes are smaller than the smallest dragon ("5. Are small, ranging in size between the size of a cat and as big as a husky." - dragcave wiki, drake features). Pygmies are smaller than or equal to the smallest drakes.

Using drakes as a starting point for the smallest a mint can possibly be, would be around the size of a dog slightly larger than a husky. I do remember it being specified once that they were indeed the size of a small car though.

Either way, its an idea that has come up multiple times and ends up shot down because the code just doesnt work that way sad.gif

edit: forgot some important words ... oops.

Well if mints would be a size comparable with pigmys then in update Mints would have to be clasified as pigmy that way no code problem just saying

Well if mints would be a size comparable with pigmys then in update Mints would have to be clasified as pigmy that way no code problem just saying

Uhmm since there are quite a handful of mint breeders and lineage projects involving mints I think that would be too much trouble for its worth. If I recall correctly we have Stones who are as big as a mountain that can breed with about any other dragons excluding pygmies/drakes. Pretty sure we have some normal dragons that are around our size so... yeah.

Mainly no support because of first sentence even though I don't mint breed/have lineage projects with them.

When I pitched my cross-over concepts to TJ, I was told specifically that the code couldnt/wouldnt allow for crossover pairings. I had tried to find options to work around that and was told it just couldnt/wouldnt be possible.

Mints are too large to breed with pygmies. I don't think there is any way to change that, but if your topic does, yay. But for me.. being told that the cross over options I had thought of, even with limitations in place to prevent people from taking pygmy lines and breeding them into full sized lines, not being possible.. makes it clear to me that its just not something that is going to happen.

I'd LOVE to see cross-over pairings possible, even if it wasnt my concepts.. but, I just dont think it will happen sad.gif

When I pitched my cross-over concepts to TJ, I was told specifically that the code couldnt/wouldnt allow for crossover pairings. I had tried to find options to work around that and was told it just couldnt/wouldnt be possible.

Mints are too large to breed with pygmies. I don't think there is any way to change that, but if your topic does, yay. But for me.. being told that the cross over options I had thought of, even with limitations in place to prevent people from taking pygmy lines and breeding them into full sized lines, not being possible.. makes it clear to me that its just not something that is going to happen.

I'd LOVE to see cross-over pairings possible, even if it wasnt my concepts.. but, I just dont think it will happen sad.gif

Then i might aswell give up cause i have no valid idea for cross over breds >.< i just tought mints are so tiny they could fit pigmys but now i seen enaught posts to prove me wrong ^^ so taking down this post ^^

I find it odd that tiny little mint dragons can't breed with pygmies. They're both tiny dragons and even have smaller pixel images than other dragons. Pumpkin dragons, which aren't pygmies, can breed with pygmies, so why not mints?

Better yet, why not make mints interbreedable (large and small dragons)? They aren't as small as pygmies, but aren't nearly as large as normal dragons. They can already breed with normal dragons, so I don't see why they'd take that away from lineage projects and such.

Who agrees?

Edited by Drakessis

Sweetlings are about cat sized, btw, if you want to mention them too

Personally I think it is what it is, weird or not. As long as they can keep breeding with what they can right now, though, I don't much mind what happens smile.gif

I find it odd that tiny little mint dragons can't breed with pygmies. They're both tiny dragons and even have smaller pixel images than other dragons. Pumpkin dragons, which aren't pygmies, can breed with pygmies, so why not mints?

Better yet, why not make mints interbreedable (large and small dragons)? They aren't as small as pygmies, but aren't nearly as large as normal dragons. They can already breed with normal dragons, so I don't see why they'd take that away from lineage projects and such.

Who agrees?

I remember TJ(?) saying Mints are either car or van sized dragon. Much bigger than cat sized pygmies. And Pumpkin dragons are pygmies, they just don't have a small sprite. Not sure why they have the normal egg sprite. Maybe someone who was around when they were released will know. I think mints are just fine how they are now.

I remember TJ(?) saying Mints are either car or van sized dragon. Much bigger than cat sized pygmies. And Pumpkin dragons are pygmies, they just don't have a small sprite. Not sure why they have the normal egg sprite. Maybe someone who was around when they were released will know. I think mints are just fine how they are now.

Pumpkins have a normal sized sprite because they were intended to be just a regular holiday dragon. TJ decided to release them as a pygmy breed. He also has noted in the DC Lore AMA thread that the size of the sprite shouldn't be used to determine the size of a dragon/its breeding capability.

TJ did, specifically, say (I believe it was in the DC Lore AMA thread, but I wouldn't bet my life on it) that Pumpkins were pumpkin-sized: They would fit inside a pumpkin. Mints are not pumpkin-sized. They would not fit inside a pumpkin.

Regardless of size, there are other factors that prevent Pygmies and regular dragons from interbreeding. We don't even know if the parts line up. I think it's less of a big lizard/small lizard thing than a big lizard/small snake. Even if they were the same size, you'd be hard pressed to find a couple breeding.

To be fair, giant species can crossbreed with small ones IRL.

If they aren't related enough though..

I just don't think it makes sense, after this many years of mint breeding working as it does, to suddenly make them breed with pygmies. Crossbreeding is the only thing that would make sense, but I'm not sure I like the idea of introducing crossbreeding in DC. I'd prefer simplicity and completely disconnecting breeding as we have now is just less messy.

Crossbreeding = species that can breed between two different breed classifications - ex. the proposal to have mints breed with dragons and pygmies

Disconnected breeding = a dragon in a certain classification stays in that classification as is now

What I would propose as an alternative is for the mint description to be reworked. Mints were introduced way before pygmies, so sizes of dragons has changed and broadened a bit. Mints might make more sense to people if the description were reworked a bit. Maybe just simply mention that they are small for typical dragon species (ie not pygmies or drakes) - but with better wording.

(I think part of the issue with size on DC has always been, for lack of better simile, too many cooks in the kitchen. I think many artists tend to picture smallerish dragons than TJ headcanons them, which he himself said somewhere - either ask-a-mod or AMA. I've always tended to think of dragons as humongous, so anytime the size discussion comes up, I'm always surprised at how small a lot of our dragons are according to artists. So the size of DC dragons is kind of all over the place depending on perspective, so I think these kinds of discussions are kind of hard to have considering the wide array of opinions on size, especially when that conflicts from conceptor to artist to TJ.)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't think Mints should be able to breed with Pymgies.

I would much rather see, as Sock suggest, the Mint reworked in description but also how about adding another color(s) like: Golden Poison Frog; Blue Poison Dart Frog; Strawberry Poison Dart Frog; Red-backed Poison Frog; Dyeing Dart Frog to name just a few color options.

Perhaps the addition of a Minty (Mintish?) pygmy breed would solve the issue as well.

Mint dragons are not pygmy-sized. They're small as far as dragons are concerned, but they're still huge compared to pygmies.