TJ09

2015-03-13 - Site Redesign Launch

Okay, so this month as well as last have been pretty terrible for me, so as I went to the cave my initial thought was 'Oh, no! Now this has broken for me too!', haha..

After this initial shock, I really LOVE the new site design wub.gif

Thanks to Nakase, TJ, and everyone else involved!

The art is beautiful! Some people are just too talented. I also like the clock as catching night type dragons has always been problematic..

But I agree with some other players who think that the font is off. There's too much space between 2 letters of same word. And some letters are missing parts (as the es in lineages). That makes reading harder. Also the lineage page isn't doing justice to the awesome art nor the (pretty) lineages! Was it like that with the old skin?? Can't the linage page be completely parchment?

I like the smaller "Cave", "Account" and other links better than the huge ones. However they could be a tad bigger so it would be easier to distinguish them from the background. The Dragon cave logo looks cooler than before.. has it always been like that?? o.O smile.gif

Edit: Doesn't frozen hatchlings count in the trophys?? I have 501 dragons (2 of which are frozen hatchlings) and 1 egg. And I have a silver trophy...

Edited by sroo

Love the update, from the background art to the location of the menu to the updated fonts. Also love the clock, converting time zones without using other websites was super confusing, now there's little need to use other websites!

The parallax scrolling (background moving slower than foreground) will take some getting used to, but I like it. For users using Firefox, try going to Options > Advanced > General > Browsing > uncheck "use smooth scrolling"

This makes scrolling a bit more rigid, and hopefully less likely to induce motion sickness. As for Chrome, no idea, but after a quick check it doesn't seem to have the smooth scrolling effect to the extent of Firefox.

I don't know if the font changed or if it is something that affects the perception of the font but I feel like it is less readable in a slightly more cramped way.. maybe my browser or something.

edit: on the scroll I notice other things -

On the white text, the rounded letters have harsh pixels that look kind of awful (akin to an image being oversharpened), which is not a huge deal except for the buzzy-eye factor that alone would cause me to switch skins, but additionally on the scroll itself some gs and es don't have their proper parts -

(SREENSHOT) (and same on for example "Security and Privacy" in account settings)

I am using an outdated version of Chrome so maybe that is it but I haven't had this problem before.

Looks like there isn't any anti-aliasing on your fonts. Not sure what's causing it sorry, but it could be a problem with the particular version of Chrome that you're using. Is it possible for you to update your browser?

To check which version of Google Chrome you have, go to the drop down menu as indicated by the three - symbols on the far right. Click the "About Google Chrome" and you'll be shown the version number. For example, I have Version 41.0.2272.89 m.

The reason why I say this, is that the few pages I looked at concerning a lack of anti-aliasing mention version 37 of Chrome fixing the issue.

It doesnt take long to get used to this new background. I think it took me a few days before the initial knee jerk reaction of "omg font change" "omg colors" "omg menu moved" went away. Now that I've used it awhile, I could never go back to the old layout.

Though, it does look a bit different now that I am using ubuntu, rather than windows, but that isnt something limited to just this site. I think I can safely blame chrome looking different on this OS.

Edit: Doesn't frozen hatchlings count in the trophys?? I have 501 dragons (2 of which are frozen hatchlings) and 1 egg. And I have a silver trophy...

You have less than 500 dragons. I have 250 dragons per page displayed, and your scroll has 2 pages for me. Also, AonD's scroll statistics say, you have 499 dragons, 1 of that being still growing.

495 adults, 2 frozen hatchlings, 1 frozen tree.

well, it's very pretty and I thought it would just take some getting used to, but I am really annoyed with this black line - hope this screenshot shows up:

user posted image

Also, it seems that the scroll itself has shrunk? I feel like I need to make my resolution bigger to see my scroll properly.

Whew! it did show up smile.gif

I have no problems with the fonts or anything, it all looks sharp and clear, but as I said, it's gonna take some getting used to.

Edited by daba555

Oh my god. When I first saw the new look I was surprised by it. BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! wub.gif The coloration and redesigned logo are gorgeous and now we have a clock yay! Thank you so much for the new look biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Random nyan cat poptartFINALTINY.gif

biggrin.gif I love it! It's nice that the clock idea is being implemented.

Kind of jarring but the art is indeed beautiful! Also is it just me or is the font smaller? Everything seems tiny and hard to read. @_@

Yep, had to enlarge my resolution. This will make other sites not work properly, but oh well. I guess I'll be constantly adjusting back and forth.

I do like it, though, and the scrolling background when you go up and down on the scroll.

I don't like the tiny places to click for cave, forum, etc. I actually thought the forum button was gone, and i had to look 3 times, LOL.

Again, it probably will be fine once I get used to it biggrin.gif

It really is a very beautiful background.

However, like others whilst I appreciate how beautiful it is and how much hard work has gone into it, I don't really like it for something I have to see/use all the time. And I really don't like how small the links are and how difficult they are to find. I really liked them at the top of the scroll. Nor do I like the fact that the font is smaller.

Thus, I add my voice to those who are asking if the old default layout could now become one we can choose to use, please.

Edited by Nikki_Of_The_Night

I really love the new background and design.

My only complaint is when looking at the scroll how the background scrolls down at a different rate. It's making me feel sick. Is there anyway this can be a fixed background or scroll normally? Please for the sake of my laptop.

And I really don't want to use a different skin, I really like this design D:

I like it smile.gif

To those worried about the size, if you use chrome then zooming in or out with your browser should be site-specific I think - there are some sites I use zoomed out and I don't have to switch between those and DC (which I use at normal zoom).

Oooh, it looks really cute =) I like it. Turned the zoom to 75% and now I can see almost all of the picture without the text being too small ^^

I'm just a lurking player generally, but I had to come in and say this new layout is absolutely stunning. Great job.

The artwork is staggeringly beautiful - and I remember thinking so during the teaser last September - but as far as functionality goes, I would love to have the old default layout installed as a site skin. Like some of the other users, I'm getting instant nausea from the different scroll speeds/contrast difference between scroll and background. I don't have any issues with font changes though - those I quite like! I've switched over to Blackout for now (the only other site skin that I like and can use without triggering migraine) but it would be great to have the option of the old one.