Ayesthine

Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett died very, very recently, and I'm absolutely heartbroken :c

He was a wickedly smart person and a very talented author.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25401679

user posted image

(his very fitting last tweets)

For his sake, I'm glad his death wasn't drawn out, but all the same I'm terribly upset. It's a bit of a stupid thing to say, but I can't help but feel that the world (not to mention his family) lost someone really special :c

Wow, didn't know he had AD, let alone early onset at age 58. That's pretty tragic. It's good that he remained positive in his work and helped raise awareness about dementia to the end, though.

Oh no sad.gif

He is gone but will never be forgotten. It's amazing what he has accomplished.

Going to see if I can donate some to an alzheimers support cause in his honour...

If you want to support something in his honour as well as Alzheimer's Research - a VERY good place to start would be a charity he worked tirelessly for - Dignity in Dying. He has campaigned for them ever since he was diagnosed. It aims to get laws changed so that people have the absolute right to die at a time of their choosing through assisted dying.

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/patron/sir-terry-pratchett/

I don't know if it's up on youtube - but he hosted a BRILLIANT TV programme following someone through the whole process going to Dignitas in Switzerland - as he said, he wanted to know what it was like, as he expected to need to do the same himself. He was very impressed.

Patrick Stewart is also a big fan.

I am so glad he died with his cat on his bed. smile.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

This makes me really sad too D:

That's a sad news...

My whole family and i will miss him so much. His sense of humour was unique and brought many happy hours of reading his books for me....such a deep,smart person.

...He is dead? That is sad news indeed, and undexpected, at least to me. I had read about the stroke a while back, but there are many people who have lived decades after one, and he was not all that old ... my own grandparents used to go to mountain-hiking when they were already past 70.

But... yeah. I practically grew up with his books and sense of humor. His books were also one of the very few things my mother and I actually shared fondness for (as otherwise I only had things in common with my father, and the relations between me and my mother were tense, to say the least). I recall several occasions when I and my mother actually contemplated writing him a letter or letter or email... But alas, now neither of us ever can.

I guess so it always is - I will regret things I did not do, but very rarely things I did do. There is often just a small frame of time for doing things, and if you don't do them then, the opportunity will be forever lost.

There is no thing more irreversible than death. Only writings and memories remain.

Wow, what shocking news... I didn't even know he had anything wrong with him (I rarely get a chance to follow anything in the news). I guess I sort of had this idea that he would live forever. Logically, that is impossible, but he has been such a fixture in fantasy literature that it seemed as though he would always be.

I wish his family and friends consolation in this time of their loss.

He didn't have a stroke - they misdiagnosed. It was actually the rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's starting - posterior cortical atrophy.. Just for the record.

(I admired - still admire - him so much I have followed every step of his illness.)

If you can - all watch the documentary he made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratche...Choosing_to_Die

He wanted everyone to see it. That would be a HUGE tribute - I'm not sure if it is up there on line, but I bet someone here can find it.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Knowing this would happen sooner rather than later doesn't take away any of the sadness. sad.gif

This is really heartbreaking. Discworld got me through a hospital stay last year after a severe, almost deadly bout of depression...

GNU Terry Pratchett.

Oh yes, can we get this for DC please? Is TJ a Pratchett fan?