pudding

ESPers

Azure sat back in thought. What should she ask without being thrown the classified card? "Hmm, hypothetically, I wish to join, what sort of test would I have to pass, or... ' prove my worth' as you put it? Stealing I am fine with, killing....... I have seen my fair share of death. I don't want to witness it again. I understand the fragile stability, but I am a telepath.... I know just how fragile one's mind can be and even snapped myself........." She fell silent for a long minute, sipping her tea, clearly not finished speaking but was lost in a bad spot of memory, a tear trailed unnoticed down her cheek. This task was bringing back things that she buried deep in her mind, things she longed to forget but never could.

"Meditation helps one balance body and mind..... but, I would like to see them. We are few in number.... I would be good for them to see that one can make it pass the rough waters of that time....."

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

"No test," Elliot replied with a dismissive wave of his hand. He leaned forward a bit more, letting his chin rest on his hands. "You can only gain membership to our organization by being invited by someone already in it. I've invited you so all you would need to do is accept. Of course, staying a part of the organization is something else entirely and moving up in ranks is very difficult." He smiled as he lifted up the empty glass, letting his wrist casually twist it around in lazy circles. "As for the two of them, I told you they were off limits. They've dealt with a lot of things and I can't just bring every single newbie to go and see them. Even if you are a telepath, I can't risk disturbing them. It would be far too hectic." He rolled up his sleeve and looked at the watch on his wrist before shrugging. "But let's talk about that later. I've got to read the kids stories now or they'll get upset with me. You're welcome to come, or you can stay. It's up to you."

Azure thought for a moment. If she got to know the people here, she would be too deep under cover and lose sight of the goal, but...... it would also lessen the suspension on her. "As long as I get sewing supplies, I would love to come...." She finished her tea, then stood, smoothing her dress, and downed her blue cloak waiting once more for him to lead. "One more thing, is this place above ground or below?"

"Sure, I'll check in back. I'm certain we were smuggling sewing supplies at some point." Elliot quickly stood and made his way towards the door with a slight shrug of his shoulders. "Um... neither? It's placement is a bit weird compared to the others but that's because it's a prototype. Also, if you do join, though, you'll have to wear something different during our missions. Long skirts and dresses aren't allowed, neither are other tripping hazards. The missions we take part in often require a quick escape so you can't be hindered by what you wear." He shrugged slightly, not mentioning or possibly just ignoring the fact the long, white scarf he wore was a tripping hazard in its own right. "The library is this way," He said, quickly opening the door and walking down the hallway. After passing several corridors, the hall suddenly opened up to reveal a large room lined with books. Children were already running, crawling and flying around the room but they all stopped when Elliot clapped his hands together. "Alright, everyone go pick out the books you want me to read! We'll vote on your favorite and read that one today." Immediately, the children were off in a scramble, trying to get their favorite stories off of the shelves.

"I would not go anywhere without my cloak." She spoke stiffly, clearly this was not a option for her. When they reached the library she watched the kids get books and looked in the older section at stores she used to like, and still do. They had the Grimm brothers collection... She loved reading the original tales. Black beauty..... wizard of Oz, To kill a mockingbird, Secret garden....." She paused at this one. This one was her absolute favorite book.

"It's just the rules," Elliot replied with a shrug. "We can't risk loosing someone over a wardrobe malfunction." It didn't take too long for the children to return and a book to be thrust in Elliot's face. "The Velveteen Rabbit again?" He asked, looking at the kids again.

"With the puppets!" The children yelled in agreement and Elliot sighed but opened the book. Balancing it carefully on his knees, he raised one of his hands. A small chest in the corner of the room opened up and a stuffed animal rabbit flew across the room, floating in the air above the children. As he began to tell the story, more figures came form out of the toy chest and began to dance around in the air with the rabbit to the key of Elliot's voice. A silence fell over the library that didn't cease until he closed the book and the puppets returned to the toy chest.

"There. Now why don't you all try to read to each other? I've brought someone new in and I need to show them around." A chorus of whining came from the children but they reluctantly shuffled off around the wide room, disappearing into various sections to read the books that had been piled up for their use. Elliot sighed and stood up, looking around for where Azure had disappeared to.

Azure was in the corner, reading the Prince and the pauper, carefully turning pages with a slender boney finger. She read quickly and was already half way through the book, a ghost of a smile on her lips. She flipped another page, waiting for him to finish, and engrossed in the book.

"Should I leave you here for a bit?" Elliot asked as he approached Azure, a smile on his face. "We've gathered a lot of books so I could understand if you wanted to be left alone." He smiled and waved a hand, taking a few strides towards the door. "It's fine if that's the case. I'm going to go check on some business things. Unless you've decided to join us, it would be best if you stayed here. But if you have decided to join us, it would be a good learning experience to come with me. You might get a better understanding of how this base and all its quirks operate."

There was a quick snap and azure was beside him. "I have decided to join you and this escapade. It would be interesting to learn something new...." She made sure her dress didn't hinder her and had her cloak drawn tightly around her. Her lips in a thin line. "I would like some commentary, talking is better while walking."

Elliot stared at the girl in surprise for a few moments before a smile formed on his face. "Good choice. Now that you've decided that, I can move you out of the civilian area." Taking long strides, he started down the hallway, keeping his eyes forward though he kept talking. "Like I said, this base is a prototype. Most of our buildings double as something else because we integrate into society. Things like hotels and restaurants are more common but this one is different. There is no facade here because the entire base is hidden beneath the water at the bottom of the bay. Teleporters are the key to getting in and out, although there are a few back doors in the unlikely event of an attack." He paused in front of a large, metal door that seemed very out of place with the rest of the area. Removing his necklace again, he pressed it against a small sensor in the door and watched as the door moved out of the way, revealing the second half of the base.

Unlike the first half, the business side of the base was completely made of metal. There was no flashy carpet or colorful walls. There were many more rooms with locked doors and the bright lights were somewhat harsh overhead. There were a few people in the hallway and almost all of them were carrying large, brown boxes. "This is the base of operations for our smuggling. Teleporters bring cargo in and we store it here before making exchanges for money. Additionally, we develop devices to negate ESP, much like the necklace that I wear. When it comes to bases, this one tends to be the meeting point since we know we aren't being spied on here." He smiled as the large, metal door began to close behind them and continued to walk forward. "This is also where we let people recover. My primary job is to train and help abused ESPers into unlocking their powers and getting revenge on those who wronged them."

Azure followed him until the word 'revenge' popped up. At this she froze mid step, her thin face shadowy in the harsh light eyes piercing and animalistic with anger and fear. Her normally calm monotonous voice suddenly dark, frozen and powerful, more loud and forceful then it's usual volume. "Revenge is a two way blade where both ends are cut deeply. Fear is something no one can control, the others fear us, should fear us, we can do things they could only imagine doing but why get revenge on someone who was scared out of their minds? That would be like shooting a dog that bit your hand because it was afraid you might hit it like people did before...."

Her eyes narrowed, still standing with her foot poised in the air and with perfect balance. Her teeth ground as she let out a snarl. Revenge was a extremely touchy subject to her.

Elliot stopped short as the harsh words came flowing from behind him. She didn't understand. She couldn't understand. Here he had thought that she... no, he was wrong. Whatever scars she had, they did not run as deeply as his own. He took in a deep breath and when he turned around again, he was smiling. "You don't understand!" He replied, a cheerfulness in his voice that hadn't been there before. It was his go-to, whenever something made him upset. Covering how he felt with a smile and a laugh usually helped him get by with people. He paused for a moment then shrugged his shoulders, letting his feet kick the metal floor gently. "When we met, you were scared. You called out for me to save you. Me, who was killing people and teaching others how to kill people. But you didn't care about them. You didn't tell me to stop or try to rescue them. Revenge isn't a two-edged blade. It's just a knife that you can use three ways. Some people stab themselves, other's just leave it on the ground. But then there are people who pick it up and use it to fight for themselves. I'm not telling people to pick up the knife here. All I'm doing is showing them how to use the blade they've already picked up for themselves. If you can't understand that, I don't think that this is the place for you."

"You don't understand. I would help you find information on people who wish to take this operation down.....I will not be harming anyone. I have no need to seek revenge, I have seen what it does to people. I resent the government, yes, those men wished to kill me , yes but once you have seen the dieing thoughts of a man, you are never the same again... I thought this organization would help me get away from the government. They made me do things I didn't want to do, under the threat of death. I would expect this place wouldn't do the same, but.. it seems it will. On that note Good bye.....And here I would say Your name if I knew it, or is that classified as well?

She glared at him waiting for an answer for thirty seconds before pivoting with a snap of her cloak and strode to the metal door.

"I'd never force anyone to do anything," Elliot replied softly, not following her. He smile was starting to fade from his face but the twitching on the side of his face indicated he didn't want it to go away. "The point is I won't deny people their revenge if that's what they want. If you don't want to kill people, that's fine. There are plenty of ESPers who don't. But I won't let you anywhere near those little girls if you're going to judge them so harshly." He scowled and turned away, gesturing to a nearby man to open the door for Azure. "It's Elliot and it's not classified. It's not like you can find anything on me in anything but government files and those probably all lie."

Azure whirled around at the last minute. "Little girls? The other telepaths here?" She tilted her head. "You made it sound like you only teach revenge. If you learn to clarify what precisely you meant beforehand, we would not have any problems." She walked right up to him looking straight into his eyes. "I do not judge others so quickly or harshly unless I have reason to I don't know those girls, I don't want to hurt them. I what to do what you do, help my own kind." She spoke with her mind saying simultaneously, "I wasn't allowed to be near the files on this place, so you have a clean sheet with me, I will judge you by how you act, and keep on mind, I know a lie when I hear one. If you want to keep me in this place tell me the truth, if you can't, then say you can't. I am not a fragile China doll. I just will not harm anyone."

"Does reading the Velveteen Rabbit really seem like raising an army of children hell-bent on revenge?" Elliot asked in return as he turned away, drawing out a long breath. "Anyway, the only thing I've lied to you about so far has to do with my own past. Like I said, most people here are touchy about that kind of thing anyway so you'll have to excuse me if I choose not to talk about it to a stranger." He scratched his forehead, brushing a bit of black hair away from his eyes. "Anyway, like I said, those girls are being protected. I guess I could show them to you but from another room. They don't like people at this point and won't respond well to someone completely new. I've only just managed to get close to them and I risk everything just because one person wants to say hello."

She followed him her voice suddenly quite. "They must be so young and already at that stage...... please tell me they are eating. I don't have to meet them, just see them. I won't contact them... just look.... I..... I have been at that spot..... I know how it feels." She then fell into silence. No longer feeling the need to talk and her throat hurt from saying more then she was used to.

(( pudding, I found this and thought of your avatar..xd.png))

((Lokitty s best kitty))

Elliot shook his head with a sigh. "No, they eat. The two of them aren't pure powers like me. One of them is also a very strong clairvoyant. I haven't convinced them at this point not to scan the food though to make sure it isn't poisoned and no drugs have been put into it. They trust me but just barely." His voice trailed off as they arrived at the end of the hallway. One-way mirrors revealed a room that was covered in pillows from top to bottom. There were toys and books scattered around the room but the two figures inside were simply ignoring them.

Both of the girls looked remarkably identical and could only really be distinguished by their hair. Their eyes were closed but they both wore similar looking dresses. One, however, was colored yellow while the other was colored blue. The girl in the yellow dress had long, dark hair while the second girl in the blue dress had her hair chopped short. The both wore necklaces around their necks, much like the one Elliot wore around his own. They seemed focused on one another as their hands were clasped together and a word was not spoken between the two of them. "They haven't told us their names yet and I'm not sure they even remember. The girl in the yellow dress is a telepath and a clairvoyant while the girl in the blue dress is a telepath and can use precognition. The walls here are made of anti-ESP material so they don't pick up on passing thoughts." He paused then, realizing how that sounded, lifted his hands up to show his palms. "It was requested by them, of course. They asked for that and the necklaces. I've been trying to help them but they've only just warmed up to me after I gave them those and moved them into this room."

"She looks like an Annabelle ..." she nods to the girl in yellow. ""And she looks like a Elliese ...I feel sympathy for them, and perhaps a little envy. At least they are eating. I didn't eat for a month and a half...." she was silent for a moment. "Mind readers, if strong enough, can block their minds against others. I don't blame them. Not trusting anyone. I didn't trust my parents when I went through that."

"I'll ask them if that's what they want to be called," Elliot replied, his voice lowering. "They're not speaking, though. They only talk to me with telepathy and they'll only do it if they can read my mind. I've had to take off my necklace every time I go in there just in case and they refuse to let their minds be read except by one another. I don't know all of what happened to them but I'm doing my best to make it better. It's the only thing I can do for them but I'll do it to the best of my abilities. We're a family here and I'm not going to hand them over to any normal person who would just use them as a weapon."

"Like the government did with me. I could understand not talking ..... I had a friend with your power and telepithy. We would have an entire world in our minds. We didn't need to play." She studies the girls. "They are pretty girls ........ if you have any sewing material and bolts of fabric I could make them pretty dresses.... I make my own... sewing, reading and meditation calms me..... if they get curious enough, they would ask to see me, but... my type are shy and timid creatures.... much like a deer.... the slightest thought can startle us so young. Even now, forty people....... still rattles me. I'd rather be stuck in a white room like this one then around so many minds..... Your power is easy to control, ours..... the mind is a complex thing that knows no bounds. Did you know, depending on how you think, the advantage person, single person has from 12,000 up to 60,000 thoughts a day. Times that by forty..... that would be 480,000 to 2,400,000 voices going through your mind.. I can block out most of it, and ignore the rest... but it takes quite a bit out of me."

((Edited last post ))

The problem is they're not trained," Elliot replied with a sigh. "I'm doing my best but they're going based purely on instincts. Which is fine for some things but others... not so much. They don't know how to turn it off and they don't know how to control their other abilities. But not being a telepath myself, I don't know how to teach them other than give them things that helps them to function without overloading. Most of the people here don't have strong abilities either so they don't match up well. She was wrong, though. "It's not easy," He replied, looking down at his own hand. "It's just when you break, you only break you. When I break, I break everything." He sighed and made a fist before snapping his fingers at a nearby man. "I need some sewing supplies so go grab them. We'll have a meeting later on so everyone knows the new face around here." He turned back to Azure, his eyes sparkling again. "Ready for your first mission? I'm starting you out easy so don't worry. All you have to do is go on a food run with me to get supplies. The clairvoyant doesn't like how the chef looks so she told me I have to start making food for her instead."

"You mean Annabelle.... I'd prefer if you use names. So many times I have been thought of "that girl with the odd dresses" I found it degrading and humiliating......... although... I am a telepath, and I could train them as I said before. Allow me to clarify what I meant; I know how you would break, my friend had your power and mine. What I meant was, those her wouldn't understand why we don't trust people when we break. Now........ I know ways of warming up to telepaths without even getting near them. If they can read, I would send them letters, then dresses... then other things.let them come to me. Sometimes it is better to keep your space....."

She turned to him tilting her head. "Explain the mission and I will follow. And...... I would like to apologize before hand for shutting down in front of so many people..... even if it doesn't seem like a whole lot to you, it is to me.... I'm glad I had that tea...."

"I'll see if they want to be called by those names. According to what they said... or thought, rather, they didn't want to give their names. I don't want to call them by something else they don't like." He looked at Azure again, shaking his head slightly. "These aren't pure telepaths. That's actually why I'm taking you on this mission. Considering she is a very strong clairvoyant, she should be able to sense you through the food if I impose your presence on it." He walked away from the room but this time, steered clear of the large metal door, instead finding another room. This one had several people sitting in it, all gathered around a table playing cards. When Elliot arrived, one of them threw down their hand and stood up.

"I guess it's my turn," The boy said, probably no more than fourteen. He walked to the center of the room and waited as Elliot looked at Azure.

"All we're doing here is going to the store to get some food. The faces of criminal ESPers are unknown to the public so it will be fine. It will also serve to throw the government off our trail."

"Not everyone is a pure power like you, I am not pure either, a strong hypnotist, and even stronger telepath. ...." She listened to his idea and she nods. " sounds like a plan. Oh... teleportation again?" She placed her hand on her belly trying to steel her nerves. She didn't know if she could hold her stomach down a second time, or a third. She needed to get used to this though.

She stood by the boy, offering a friendly, yet still a ghost of her normal smile, then looked ahead, eyes glazed over as she fell into a meditative state.