EnderEcho

Is the dress blue or white?

It's white. The difference is the lighting level.

I ran into this same anomaly when I was doing a Clive Barker fanzine. We had a lot of model-makers and costumers in our readership and they wanted to know what colours the Cenobites' robes were. Everyone thought they were black and silver, and their skin was white.this was because of the ambient lighting on the set.

Not so! The leather was dark brown, like dried blood, scabs, etc. The metal parts were actually BRASS, not silver at all. Pinhead's nails were gold. The aprons on the front of their robes wasn't black leather but heavy-duty butchers' scale mail, goldish-coloured, heavily tarnished. Their skin tone varied; Pinhead and the female were greyish, Pinhead's grid was red blood. Chatterer and Butterball had parchment-coloured skin.

Edited by Xocowolf

This isn't a question of color at all. It's a question of whether people can admit what they see and perceive may not always be correct. So deep.

If diseases spread half as fast as this "debate" did in a mere two days, I think the world would be dead 9 minutes ago.

I had the most amusing experience. I saw the thread about it before the internet exploded with gazillions of threads and pages about this dress and I saw the dress as blue and black and the question puzzled me because I wasn't understanding how come someone could see as white and gold, it was clearly black and blue. I scrolled the page, read some comments, laughed a little, thinking that it was all absurd and when I scrolled back... BANG! The dress was white and gold. I was so puzzled that I even saved the pic to my computer to open it at photoshop and check, and it was, indeed, blue and black, but for several minutes, I saw as white and gold. I think it's an optical illusion caused by the picture lightning combined with how much light there is in the place where you are. It was night and my room doesn't have a strong light. In the morning I couldn't see the white dress with gold anymore, only blue with black. It was an amusing experience.

I was literally about to make a thread about this. xd.png

I woke up this morning and Instagram, G+, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. were all exploding with this, and I was like "How can this be such a huge question, it's White and Gold, people who say it's Blue and Black are probably just trying to cause arguments." So the day goes on, and I look at the picture again out of curiosity. Only this time it's Black and Blue. So now my brain kind of died and I don't know what to do with life anymore. XP

EDIT: So I went to that link in the first post, and at the top of the page was a pic of the dress. I saw White and Gold, and I kept scrolling. Upon scrolling back up, it was Black and Blue, so now I'm just kind of confused.

And a quote on the page: "The BBs and the GWs are screaming at each other in loungerooms, in offices, in different lighting across the globe."

"The BBs and the GWs."

"BBs and the GWs."

BRIGHT-BREASTED WYVERNS AND GOLDEN WYVERNS xd.png

Edited by gusearth1

It, to me, looks greyish white (possible actually white, but off lighting?), and the lacey stuff looks like it's stained with tea or coffee..so a brownish color?

the real dress is black and blue. Inside edition proved it.

The actual dress is irrelevant; the photo's colors do not accurately display the real dress. Upon analyzing the hex values, they are a desauturated bluish gray/white (periwinkle, lilac, etc. could describe it), and a browinsh tan/dull gold.

The actual dress is irrelevant; the photo's colors do not accurately display the real dress. Upon analyzing the hex values, they are a desauturated bluish gray/white (periwinkle, lilac, etc. could describe it), and a browinsh tan/dull gold.

True, it's the white/blue part that tricks us. Since it's tinted blue, but only very lightly, sometimes your eye will perceive it as a darker shade of blue, because of the darker lace color. The lace would be perceived as black if you see blue in the other part, but if you see white, your eyes will see the lace as the lighter shade: gold.

On the twenty-sixth day of the month of February, in the year dated fifteen past two-thousand, humanity was tested by a single image that, alone, nearly obliterated all remnants of sanity still clinging to the fabric of society. In the wake of this horrific calamity, all have learnt a valuable lesson that shalt not soon be forgotten:

Never say yes to the dress.

I know it's blue and black but no matter what I try my brain goes LAWL white and goooooold!

I'm going to repeat the thing that many people here have already stated.

People's eyes can't be 'naturally' so different that we'd see things like this. If some people's eyes saw one color and some people's eyes saw other, our world would have noticed it a long long long time ago already.

It's kind of hilarious to see what kind of a huge war people have started because of one little dress.

It shows us how easily unnecessary chaos can be born.

My husband was adamant white and gold. Until he went into the kitchen, came out and saw it on my computer then stated "That's not the same picture!" ran to his computer ot show me his, then paused "what the...?" it went blue and black on his as well. After that he shifted between the two colours then it settled blue and black by the time evening settled.

for me, its very pale blue but seems gold now where the black was. It might be the time of day and your lighting that affects how your eyes perceive it. It is a crappy pic. But it must be at that level of crappiness that it can swing either way. He saw somewhere it was also suggested that a person's typical time of day might be a factor. I am in the 25% who see blue and black. I am also nocturnal.

I think it's kind of funny because I am thinking whoever took the picture had their flash on which made it looks different colored. Like if I go to show my boyfriend something and I take a picture of it it usually looks way the hell different on my camera phone than it does in the store. I don't know why but the flash just leeches color out of the picture.

We have discovered why people see the colors differently. It has nothing to do with the quality of your eyes or eyesight. It's a color theory problem C:

The vague greyish-blue and brownish shades of the photo can look more blue and black when compared to something yellow or orange, and can look more white and gold when compared to something blue due to their "intermediate" nature.

Ripping this from the Pixel Joint tutorial:

user posted image

See that greenish shade? It's not actually green at all!

It's a neutral gray:

user posted image

The color LOOKS green when compared to the super saturated purple because of the difference in the shades.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your eyes or anyone elses, or at least you can't tell from something like this. If you really want to see the photo as a different color, try overlaying something blue or yellow over/next to it and see how it changes.

Color theory just blows my mind!

So this is something I've seen before, but never new the name of. The Cornsweet Illusion!

user posted image

This looks like two distinct colors, right? The top is a gray and the bottom a white. Put your finger in between the two squares no to block the transition. Give your eyes a few seconds to adjust. Now they appear the same color, right? (And in meatspace you can actually put a piece of fabric or paper on one square and watch it "change" colors as you move it up and down so that it matches the square it is currently on.)

So the links I've provided kind of go into this, but this has to do with the way we interpret shadow and therefore color. So I was watching this brain teaser-ish thing the other day and they introduced the Cornsweet Illusion and a lot of other weird brain things. The thing that blew my mind the most: color is pretty much just something our brains have made up to tell us things about the world - a way to separate out things we should watch out for or that might be a danger. It provides color determined a lot by contextual clues. So the Cornsweet Illusion works because of the positioning/shading of the boxes we interpret one of the boxes as being illuminated and one as being shaded. If you cover the intersection, this covers our contextual clues about the box, so our brain interprets the colors without the shading now, letting us see that both boxes are the same color.

So that's what's happening with the dress - some of us are interpreting it as illuminated and others as in shadow. So the unknown interesting thing here is why are we interpreting this differently.

(Which is all very badly explained; sorry - it's 4 am here and I've been grading for a few hours.)

I also find it really interesting that, according to internet polls anymore, the majority are interpreting the dress as gold/white (anywhere from 50-70% from what I've seen) and the minority as blue/black.

~

Just appending these in case anybody has mentioned the explanations and want to read them: http://www.buzzfeed.com/virginiahughes/why...that-damn-dress

Here is one that goes a little more in depth: http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

And a longer one with more illusions: http://www.vox.com/2015/2/27/8119901/explain-color-dress

Sethbling figured it out. tongue.gif

Okay, I don't even like minecraft and I got a kick out of this. X3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Scientists have made a video to explain it xd.png

But my favourite video about the dress is still this~

wink.gif

It depends on a lot of things, like your environment and your monitor. Originally I saw white and gold.

Then the next day I was outside for a few hours in the very bright sunlight. We have a pile a snow everywhere, so everything was very bright white. When I came inside, the picture looked more blue/black to me, but then my eyes adjusted after a few minutes and it was back to white and gold.

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me that a dress with a bright yellow light directly BEHIND it in the picture would show up substantially lighter than it is supposed to be when it would normally show up darker, like silhouette pictures.

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me that a dress with a bright yellow light directly BEHIND it in the picture would show up substantially lighter than it is supposed to be when it would normally show up darker, like silhouette pictures.

Camera flash. wink.gif

Although, to be fair, there doesn't appear to be actual light behind the dress? It might just be light background that is even more horrifically off-color than the dress itself. (I've succeeded in taking a picture of a white thing in sunlight and it ending up looking like a floodlight...)

Edited by Shienvien