Stromboli

Ides of March - Brute Breeding Day (Friday March 15, 2024)

Brutum Fulmen - my little hoard stands ready for this day! (current status: 52)

I'm in, love the historical/literary reference, but...

(yes, there's a but biggrin.gif)

... If everyone breeds of the 15th, the eggs will actually reach the front of the AP one or two days later. So that kind of ruins the meaningfulness of the project. The breeding would indeed happen on the 15th, but if people see a wall of Brutes on say, the 17th, they most likely won't get the point.

It's basically a trade-off between egg laid date and AP appearance date.

trying to time them to appear on the 15th is basically impossible. also, they'd be bred on the 13th, hatched on the 16th, adult on the 19th... no ides on them anymore after the initial AP sightings.

The modern correspondence date for the ides of March is the 14th not the 15th, but since this is an approximate calculation since going over from the Roman month Martius (in which the assassination occurred 15 Martius 44 BC) to the month March we now know it could be any day around the 15th of March. So having it at the 14/15/16 is still applicable because the date is not exactly known since our calender systems have changed.

Edited by KittyHeart

... If everyone breeds of the 15th, the eggs will actually reach the front of the AP one or two days later. So that kind of ruins the meaningfulness of the project. The breeding would indeed happen on the 15th, but if people see a wall of Brutes on say, the 17th, they most likely won't get the point.

I know, but the thing is to have those eggs have the 15 March "Egg Laid On:" stat, which will always be there on that dragon's page. What day they're seen or caught or hatched we can't control or even predict, but the date that it's bred is a permanent stat that remains with the dragon. That was the idea behind breeding them that day. smile.gif

I am interested in this.

My Brutes even have Roman themed names. smile.gif

Count me in. Maybe we can get the Brute numbers high enough that I have a chance of getting something besides Brutes from the pairs I'm trying. I mean I LOVE Brutes, but it is hard to use them in checkers when they will only ever give Brutes! laugh.gif I've got about a dozen in my lair.

You are aware that the ides of Match just means the middle of March. No one is exactly sure what the date is, could be 14/15/16 March. So if they show up it the week that spans the middle of March it is cool still.

whoever told you that, needs to go back to their schoolbench. ides = 13 or 15, depending on month. and that's it.

I'm in! I'd appreciate a reminder though.

Cheers!

C4.

whoever told you that, needs to go back to their schoolbench. ides = 13 or 15, depending on month. and that's it.

Julius Ceaser was assassinated in the ides of Martius (15 Martuis 44 BC on the Roman calender) which is actually on the 14th of March on the Julian calendar (the one we now use) this is a approximation however. If the ides were estimated now for each month it might even fall on the 16th.

Wow, now I know why they called the Romans crazy! The original calender system was wacko! Just read a bit here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_calendar. Feel sorry for any historians that were trying to figure out the corresponding dates to the modern calender. Luckily they wrote most of their stuff down. smile.gif

Edited by KittyHeart

Nice idea smile.gif If you've got a reminder list, put me on it so I don't forget!

(Now, if only I can find a decent mate for Idhremir the Picky by then... rolleyes.gif )

Julius Ceaser was assassinated in the ides of Martius (15 Martuis 44 BC on the Roman calender) which is actually on the 14th of March on the Julian calendar (the one we now use) this is a approximation however. If the ides were estimated now for each month it might even fall on the 16th.

It's why you don't do this. You don't go around trying to figure out where this would be today, especially with different leapyears AND an unknown quantity of time gone missing when pope gregor did his calculations.

---edit:

also, only dates since around 1600 (would need to look it up) are actually recalculated for historical reasons. everything else is just being in their original timeframe.

Edited by whitebaron

I think time is illusion what humanity created to keep themself sane (i doubt we are sane but whaterver)

OMG I am a HUGE Caesar lover! I may not like Brutes but count me in! I will need a pm reminder though or an IRC ping!

Thanks!

EMLuna<3

So fantastic, I love this idea! I don't have many brutes, but I will be certain to pick up a few on these days too and give them appropriate names. Too much love for bad puns.

A++

It's why you don't do this. You don't go around trying to figure out where this would be today, especially with different leapyears AND an unknown quantity of time gone missing when pope gregor did his calculations.

---edit:

also, only dates since around 1600 (would need to look it up) are actually recalculated for historical reasons. everything else is just being in their original timeframe.

So why are they bothering to calculate Easter? Why don't we have it just every year that Jesus was crucified on the same date? It's because the lunar cycle Easter falls in is important just as the lunar cycle of other historical events would be important to calculate if we though they held religious meaning and such to them. But since something like an assassination of a man that was planning to be a dictator is not very important it is not needed the same amount of calculation and celebration each year.

I also just thought it would be nice to know that the lunar cycle Julius Ceaser was assassinated in held more importance to the people of the time then the solar cycle we follow, sad that you didn't even seem to bother to read what I suggested you do.

The leap years is not the only problem, it is because the Julain Calender and Gregorian Calender (apparently the one we follow these days, wasn't aware when and by who the leap year was introduced) both follow solar cycles and the Roman calender is a lunar Calender which makes it difficult. But since people always try and do the impossible, there would be reasons to calculate it.

Even when people would refer to dates in their own time frame, they would then point out in which calender it is or have an approximation of the current calender dates.

If you like going by, it is too difficult or stupid to do, so that is why we don't do it, it must be really hard for you to live in the current world. Almost everything around us was achieved by people who decided the things others think are not important is important to them and they will achieve greatness through doing what others though was stupid or unnecessary.

Edited by KittyHeart