demonichunny

Rock People

Yay ^^ I think we all are rock geeks in our own way. I've seen even adults at the beach with their kids taking an interest in the rocks their kids find ^^

I did! It's an iron meteorite, about a square inch and half an inch thick. Lot heavier than it looks.

I did! It's an iron meteorite, about a square inch and half an inch thick. Lot heavier than it looks.

Yeah, iron is heavy. xP

You should totally post a picture! I've pretty much only gotten to see meteoric rocks through thin section which is really not the same.

You should totally post a picture! I've pretty much only gotten to see meteoric rocks through thin section which is really not the same.

user posted image

Sorry for the awful photo quality. Here's a better quality picture of a similar iron meteorite!

user posted image

That example, and mine, are from the Sikhote-Alin meteorite!

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

user posted image

Sorry for the awful photo quality. Here's a better quality picture of a similar iron meteorite!

Oooh, pretty - thank you! Nice catch. o3o

Well Raven, biology and geology are kind of one in the same sometimes. Without rocks, biologists and paleontologists wouldn't know how to date fossils of animals to help complete the animal kingdom ^^

Also, I found a mud-stone that was shaped like an ear on the beach of St. Clair River in Michigan ^^

That is true! My grandfather used to have some rocks with some pretty common fossils in it, but I remember being completely fascinated by them when I was a kid.

I have a small collection of rocks, shells, and other similar things in a tiny chest on my bookshelf. My family thinks I'm nuts for having them. I just love shiny and pretty things, and it so happens to be rocks sometimes! My favorite time to get rocks though is when I'm in water, wether that's a river or lake, because they look totally different when wet. I think I'm mostly waiting for when I settle permanently so I can make a tiny pond and use them to line the bottom. I'd be able to see all my pretty rocks wet and prettier than before! wub.gif I also wouldn't mind finding some cool fossils or geodes on my own. Cracking open a geode sounds exciting. c: Also I am totally jealous that you have a meteorite, TheCompleteAnimorph! That's really awesome. happy.gif

I agree! They always look amazing when wet! I would love to have a proper koi or turtle pond for them, but then it would probably be hard to see them at the bottom. Maybe work them into a waterfall area?

Yeah I was thinking about the same thing. I already figured that the pond would have to be really shallow, or a waterfall could be really pretty too. But several of my rocks don't look too nice wet or are too hard to see so I most likey would have a dry area reserved for those ones.

I think it's kind of funny when I go camping or go on a nature walk and I come back with a handful of pretty pebbles. Or after I go swimming my swimtrunks will start sagging because my pockets are usually full of them. Why are they so interesting? They tempt me every where I go.

-runs in as fast as she possible can-

as a geology major, me + rocks = all of the tuffs

Do you see what I did there? Do you see? Do you? -shot-

i have a growing collection of a lot of minerals currently, and a decent number of rocks. They aren't on hand for pictures, but my collection so far includes a small piece of malachite, calcaphony (or however you spell it), granite, rotten granite, soap stone, moon stone, a fairly decent sized piece of labradorite, a white sedimentary something containing quite a few trilobite fossils (yay Wisconsin state fossil!), and a roughly gallon-of-milk weight piece of raw quartz. Among others. I'm forgetting since I don't have them in front of me.

Oh! I have a desert rose too I'm fairly certain. (which i think is a type of calcite or gypsum. i don't remember... gaaaaah)

...also. that thin section comment... makes me want to cry. mostly because I'm in petrology right now. and thin sections rule my life for about 12 hours a week dry.gif effing annoying i tell you...

EDIT: I also have pieces of sandstone and dolomite from the Black Hills! -just remember-

Edited by Wandering4Ever

...also. that thin section comment... makes me want to cry. mostly because I'm in petrology right now. and thin sections rule my life for about 12 hours a week dry.gif effing annoying i tell you...

Oh my gosh, I so dislike petrology. I'm not confident at all in my thin section skills and I still ended up in a Master's where thin sections are fairly important to my work. >_____>

Thank goodness they're just granites so I at least know what the bulk mineralogy should already be, lol. (Also my friend helped me do some modal percents - point counts UGH - and we came up with similar numbers so I feel much better but am still super nervous about presenting on it.) Plus one of the granites I have yet to do is a black granite which is going to have a different mineralogy.

Oh my gosh, I so dislike petrology. I'm not confident at all in my thin section skills and I still ended up in a Master's where thin sections are fairly important to my work. >_____>

Oh trust me, were it not for the fact that Petrology is required here for the geology major at UW Madison I would not have touched this class with a 50ft pole. Ever.

Actually until last year it wasn't even on my radar because I didn't know it was required. Everyone was talking about how god awful it was and how they had to come into the lab for 10 hours outside of class time (mind you this is a 3 credit course. I've taken 5 credit courses that were easier than this course) and how no matter how hard they studied they could only pull BCs on the exams. And I sat there being all "NOPE NOT TOUCHING IT"

Turns out it's required... yeah... I was so enthused to find that out.

Modal percents.. we're just starting to touch on that on petrology and I don't feel confident in mine either. (20% fosterite or fayalite? Is that 15% retrograde biotite or is that prograde? just why. why do you ask this of undergrads when you havent even properly taught us this and just threw the thin sections at us and expect us to know what to do)

but i bet you'll be fine! especially if you have someone you can bounce things off of to catch any simple mistakes. Honestly, if you think you saw something in the thin section, you're probably right. Unless it makes no sense. Then it's probably some weird pseudomorph.. xd.png

i like to ramble too much when i get excited...

dry.gif

>_>

We used to collect shells so much that we have a few large steel buckets of pretty shells in the backyard.

I also have a growing collection of crystals and rocks.

My favorites so far, are Geodes and a Volcanic Rock/ Geode i found at the country Gem Market. Its a lovely reddish black color with flakes of green, red, and orange down the center of it. You can also open it up like a curved shell to look at the pretty insides.

I've only done geology in high school, but just collecting the crystals and looking into the mines and visiting volcanoes are fun enough for me ^^.

Edited by Taryn123

Wow, all this stuff is so cool ^^ Plus, I didn't expect so many people to add to this thread ^^ Thanks so much ^^

I've never been on an archaeological dig and wanna go on one but I'm too sick. I have itchy feet now and wanna do rocky stuff.

And you're welcome, thanks for starting this thread. Nice to have one that doesn't break the rules.

We have thunder eggs in Oregon. Geodes and stuff. I have found moonstone at the beach. My Grandpa used to have a bunch of tumbled agates that he'd found all over Oregon.

Oh well if you said it so nicely in the intro demonichunny, I kinda lose myself when it comes to gemstones. I would stare at them day and night - they are so cool and calming. Sorry if I seem lost and fuzzy wub.gif I have a small collection of, how do you say it, uncut gemstones. They are quite abundant and not very expensive here. My favorite is malachite, but I'm so proud to have found a bracelet made of polished star sunstone just the other day! It is like staring into dozens of tiny galaxies.

While camping near river beds, I also like to, erm, rub small, smooth sedimentary rocks against tougher ones, and shape them into hearts, triangles, buttons etc.

Wow that's a lovely stone daydream dragon, think I had one like that once but, as per usual, lost it.

I collect crystals and stuff when I can. My favorite necklace is a Labradorite. The other one is Pietersite. Here's the Labradorite..... user posted image Edited by blackmagicrose

Oooh I wish I had a star sunstone. I'm obsessed with getting rocks from space cause It makes me wonder where it came from and what it's seen ^^

The star sunstone looks a lot like blue goldstone. It's pretty and galaxy looking, too.

I also like covellite. It looks like blue hematite. If you see some with a purple sheen, it has oil on it.

Mine is an Alaska or Montana stone, the ones from Peru don't look as pretty in the pictures.

Edited by Mystic_Halo

Child of the 80s here so into rock...

...wait, wrong thread.