TJ09

DC Lore AMA

On 3/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, subwoofer said:

Are Aeria Gloris dragons able to swim?

Probably not very well, but they also don't fly very well biologically--they rely on magic for that. Perhaps the bigger question is how well they can breathe in water.

But maybe TCA has specific thoughts on the matter.

Being that there's multiple dragons that interact to some extent with the spirit plane and spirits themselves-- do you have any solid thoughts on how that works or do you just let the conceptors do whatever?

Like, what has a soul? Just sapients, all animals, or all life in general?

On 3/17/2020 at 9:26 AM, subwoofer said:

Are Aeria Gloris dragons able to swim?

Yeah, but they hate it.

What do you think? How intelligent are the dc dragons in general and how do they communicate? Are they able to hold a conversation with you? Do they understand and grasp the concepts of the world as good as a human would? Or better? Would it be a bad idea to build intelligent and telepathically talking dragons into a fanfic about dc?

How many years would a dragon remain as a hatchling for before growing into an adult? 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Nighttamer said:

What do you think? How intelligent are the dc dragons in general and how do they communicate? Are they able to hold a conversation with you? Do they understand and grasp the concepts of the world as good as a human would? Or better? Would it be a bad idea to build intelligent and telepathically talking dragons into a fanfic about dc?

Dragons are intelligent and telepathic. There's also IIRC some breeds that vocalize in different ways, but I believe I've answered in the past that they aren't super capable of forming phonemes and thus verbal language.

They'd definitely be able to communicate with humans.

There've been plenty of dragons in human settings in past site events. Larger, denser towns may have fewer dragons though.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, subwoofer said:

How many years would a dragon remain as a hatchling for before growing into an adult? 

The old site flavor text mentioned it was a long time and then adulthood happened fairly rapidly. The number that comes to mind is somewhere around 100 years for full maturation, though obviously that timeframe doesn't quite work for the concept of people raising dragons.

Are there vinyl records or anything like that? Is there any way for people/dragons to record and listen back to something that isn't live?

Edited by subwoofer

17 hours ago, subwoofer said:

Are there vinyl records or anything like that? Is there any way for people/dragons to record and listen back to something that isn't live?

Most physical forms of audio recording in the real world were invented "relatively" recently. So very likely not in that form.

But, we have magic, which allows for interesting expressions of will upon the world. One could literally store the vibrations in a crystal, or create some sort of bottled essence that imparts the sensation of hearing. When you have that, there's much less need to deal with fragile things made of wax or shellac.

If I were to make magical audio recordings, I would probably use light (to 'create' the sound), magi (generic enchantments), or air (since sounds tend to be vibrations in the air).

So wait, in the canon, how advanced is magic that replicates what otherwise would be invented using technology? Since the description guidelines say "medieval",  I've tended to assume not much, but your answer above suggests otherwise. Are magical devices developed enough to include to include automagic doors? Hot-air balloonsTelecommunicationsVideo gamesAndroidsSpace travel?

(The dragons are linked to provide an example of how the 'technology' could be replicated by magic.)

Speaking of space travel, what would a cheese (or anyone else, for that matter) find on the two lunar surfaces?

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM
Added parenthetical note

(I searched but couldn’t find if this question had been asked before.) So we know Galsreim, but do the other continents that appear on the map have names?

10 hours ago, Niyaka said:

(I searched but couldn’t find if this question had been asked before.) So we know Galsreim, but do the other continents that appear on the map have names?

The continent to the north is Toreska. I shared that back in 2016, and at the time I also said the others didn't have names.

I think they still don't, because that area hasn't been relevant to anything ever.