TJ09

2015-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day

If you want non pink v-days.. you are forced to have to try to make non pink v-days. I would LOVE to make something not so girly, but my skills arent there. The problem is, if we dont try and submit things that arent so.. generically colored, theres no chance of new colors being a thing, sadly.

I have ideas, I just cant draw.

I can sprite, I cant shade (at least, not in style that would ever be released)

My skills arent where I want them, but it wont stop me from spending the next year trying to break the mold a bit tongue.gif

And in different countries.

Harlequin Raven makes a good point here.

Different colors DO symbolize different things to different cultures.

That being said, as I understand it dragoncave has users from MANY different parts of the world. It MAY be there are REASONS we are unaware of that they stick with mostly pinks and reds for Valentines.

ETA- Remember that, whatever color they are, they have to sort of... come across as Valentinish.

Edited by Silverswift

OMG AWESOME! Love the Heartstealers! Shiny red eastern - oh my such amazing

But the Heartstealers didn't steal my heart away from the Radiant Angels, they are still my #1 Valdragon.

Honestly I look forward to the one day of the year that we have an awesome Pink/Red dragon. And for Valentine's. Purple isn't really a Valentine's color. People can argue, yah sure, but when you think of the Holiday - it's almost always Red/Pink. Red roses, pink hearts...love love love

We have the rest of the year for other colored dragons anyways!

It seems like the Heartstealers pose is also in the shape of a heart...nice touch. Great job aangs-sister! :3 Congrats on another lovely holiday release - speaking of which WHAT do the spriter's alts look like?! <3

"Heartstealing dragons are an unusual breed, named for their mating rituals. These dragons use their long, slender bodies to sneak into both human (and dragon) holds to steal things over the year. Then, when the right season hits, they give away their entire hoard as gifts, leaving things in the homes of other dragons to attract them. When these gifts are found, however, the recipients can’t always tell who gave the gifts. This receiver often assumes the source of the gift was the original owner, causing them to form friendly bonds with other dragons in the area, spreading peace—and sometimes even sparking love. The only way to know if a gift is from a Heartstealing Dragpn is to find one of their wafer-thin scales at the scene."

Don't you just love it when there are spelling errors in things like this? tongue.gif

A big thanks to everyone who put time and effort into the St. Valentine's release (although I'm in the same boat as some others in questioning the Heartstealer's methods xd.png).

In terms of the adult sprite, I gotta say I thought it was too glitzy/busy until I saw it in a lineage. It reads *so* well when it's smaller.

OMG AWESOME! Love the Heartstealers! Shiny red eastern - oh my such amazing

But the Heartstealers didn't steal my heart away from the Radiant Angels, they are still my #1 Valdragon.

Honestly I look forward to the one day of the year that we have an awesome Pink/Red dragon. And for Valentine's. Purple isn't really a Valentine's color. People can argue, yah sure, but when you think of the Holiday - it's almost always Red/Pink. Red roses, pink hearts...love love love

We have the rest of the year for other colored dragons anyways!

It seems like the Heartstealers pose is also in the shape of a heart...nice touch. Great job aangs-sister! :3 Congrats on another lovely holiday release - speaking of which WHAT do the spriter's alts look like?! <3

Oh, my goodness, indeed - now you have me also wondering what the spriter's Alts look like!

Perhaps some stunning iridescent purple?

Fluorescent glittering blue or green?

Or is this a reversal where we get the cool colour and the spriter takes pale pink? xd.png

I was wondering this too, as a matter of fact.

What DO the spriters alts f these look like?

A big thanks to everyone who put time and effort into the St. Valentine's release (although I'm in the same boat as some others in questioning the Heartstealer's methods xd.png).

In terms of the adult sprite, I gotta say I thought it was too glitzy/busy until I saw it in a lineage.  It reads *so* well when it's smaller.

I question the Heartstealers methods, too.

That said, I do believe that their hearts are in the right place AND I suspect that their habits are known both to humans and to other dragons... SO that perhaps, even if they can't prove it, perhaps other suspect the little thieves anyway?

I mean IF things dissappear and then turn up in a freind or stranger's possession at a certain time of year and the one in possession of said item believed it to be a gift... My point is, yes it COULD cause misunderstanding, but their behavior fits a pattern, and that pattern is known to others. It would be FAR more likely to be a problem IF everyone else were totally ignorant of the Heartstealers' existence and their... tendencies. I don't believe that they are.

I can just imagine some dragon asking some other dragon how they come to happen to have something of theirs.

Dragon 2 tells dragon one... wasn't it a gift from you?

Dragon 1 replies... No....?

Both look at each other.... "HEART STEALERS!"

Edited by Silverswift

"A gold-horned tangar comes to visit your dragon’s den. She seems mildly interested, but doesn’t stay long. It seems she left to find a dragon with more sweets."

Urgh, I'm maxed out on sweets! Stupid dragon.

I know it's a little early, but has anyone given thought to how they'll arrange the cave in the end? Figured out which things attract which dragon, and decided what dragon you want to attract in the end? I'm thinking I'll just figure out how I want to decorate the cave, and whatever dragon I attract I don't care so much.

I'm also a bit disappointed at the lack of instructions for this year's event. So when it says at the top "It seems she left to find a dragon with more [item type]." how do you fix it so they come back? Because I've maxed out all types of items in the cave, so I literally can't add more shinies or more meat. But the item distribution stays equal among all the item types. Is it the distribution then that's more important or is it actually getting to the max of each item that's more important?

I'm also a bit disappointed at the lack of instructions for this year's event. So when it says at the top "It seems she left to find a dragon with more [item type]." how do you fix it so they come back? Because I've maxed out all types of items in the cave, so I literally can't add more shinies or more meat. But the item distribution stays equal among all the item types. Is it the distribution then that's more important or is it actually getting to the max of each item that's more important?

It's not the QUANTITY but more the RATIO that counts. So if they want MORE of something it generally means "more of that than anything else".

That said, nobody stays right now. The best you can get right now is:

A [breed] dragon comes to visit your dragon’s den. She seems interested, but doesn’t stay long. It seems she liked the collection of [primary item of interest], but left to find a dragon with more [secondary item of interest].

Nobody stays.

In the unlikely chance that the attracted dragon actually joins your cave, I've been trying for a bright pink. I highly doubt anything will be added to my scroll, but just in case... I can dream, right? xd.png

"A gold-horned tangar comes to visit your dragon’s den. She seems mildly interested, but doesn’t stay long. It seems she left to find a dragon with more sweets."

I know it's a little early, but has anyone given thought to how they'll arrange the cave in the end? Figured out which things attract which dragon, and decided what dragon you want to attract in the end? I'm thinking I'll just figure out how I want to decorate the cave, and whatever dragon I attract I don't care so much.

Me too. BUT - I do wish there was an option to remove everything at once. I did that this morning - it took me AGES... I want to do it again, but....

I have a Waterhorse in my cave now...

...ew, go away, I don't have waterhorses on my scroll for a reason! I need a starfish decoration to drive it off!

Edit: Agree with Fuzz...I'd like to try something else, but I can feel my wrist hurting just thinking about removing all those decorations one by one....

Edit 2: just checked again and the threats of getting starfish seemed to have worked...only the bleeding moon from Day 1 is back. tongue.gif

Edited by Slaskia

This is a vintage Valentine's Day card where the emphasis is on the color purple, so it is indeed a V-day color. The problem isn't that the dragons are pink or red, but that people assume that Valentine's dragons can only ever be those colors. I don't mind the colors of the Heartstealers, but I wouldn't mind a little variety.

And I can now add another visitor to my Radiant Angel's cave:

1. Black

2. Gold Wyvern

3. Ember

4. White (day 4)

5. Nebula (day 4)

6. Gold-Horned Tangar (day 4)

7. Deep Sea (day 4)

Trust me when I say I don't really know how it works but...

I want to say that when it says the sentence "they left for more _______" that means it's a hint that that dragon likes that particular type of item. We only will attract one mate at the end - so I'm thinking - if you run into a, let's say, Nhiostrife, and you would like that to be your dragon's mate. She leaves the first time but you find out she likes sweets - then decorate with sweets. It will have a higher chance of Nhiostrife being the mate chosen at the end. But of course, there are other dragons who like sweets too so it's sort of all...chance?

IDK

...Does anyone really know? xd.png

I kind of have some ideas. I wouldn't mind keeping the Golden Wyvern who poked by around, or attracting a Nhiostrife, both of which I think would look lovely with my Tsunami. My favorite categories of things are Shinies and Misc., though at the moment I have far more Sweets than Misc, so I may try to make my cave heavy on Shines and Mana or Shinies and Sweets.

I am concerned about the people who chose a pygmy, a two-headed, or a drake for their male, because none of the visitors I've seen anyone get are compatible with those. It would be such a letdown to find out at the end "An XYZ agrees to take your dragon as a mate!" but then you couldn't actually mate them.

Similarly, unless TJ is planning to deposit a brand new adult or an egg bred by our males and the elusive mate we end up with, I really hope I don't wind up winning over a Bright Pink, because I don't have any on my scroll. unsure.gif But then, if it turns out we DO get a newly generated adult, I'm going to be ticked that we weren't told because I would try really, really hard for the Bright Pink.

I may be mildly frustrated by the lack of information available here. xd.png

ETA: I'm using this spreadsheet to keep an eye on what all the breeds seem to want so that I can better my chances of getting a breed I want in the end - and I'm sorry, person-who-created-this-spreadsheet, I've abruptly forgotten your username. Credit to her.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Lovely new Valentines.

Body shape and stealing reminds me of these

, ferrets in dragon form wub.gif Edited by Mondat

A waterhorse dragon passed by.

Seems she was impressed with my boy's collection of shinies but wanted more sweets.

Gahhh, I wanna see the spriters alts!! Also, my baby girls gendered! I can't wait to breed them! They'll be so pretty with my Silver! :3

I kind of have some ideas. I wouldn't mind keeping the Golden Wyvern who poked by around, or attracting a Nhiostrife, both of which I think would look lovely with my Tsunami. My favorite categories of things are Shinies and Misc., though at the moment I have far more Sweets than Misc, so I may try to make my cave heavy on Shines and Mana or Shinies and Sweets.

I am concerned about the people who chose a pygmy, a two-headed, or a drake for their male, because none of the visitors I've seen anyone get are compatible with those. It would be such a letdown to find out at the end "An XYZ agrees to take your dragon as a mate!" but then you couldn't actually mate them.

Similarly, unless TJ is planning to deposit a brand new adult or an egg bred by our males and the elusive mate we end up with, I really hope I don't wind up winning over a Bright Pink, because I don't have any on my scroll. unsure.gif But then, if it turns out we DO get a newly generated adult, I'm going to be ticked that we weren't told because I would try really, really hard for the Bright Pink.

I may be mildly frustrated by the lack of information available here. xd.png

ETA: I'm using this spreadsheet to keep an eye on what all the breeds seem to want so that I can better my chances of getting a breed I want in the end - and I'm sorry, person-who-created-this-spreadsheet, I've abruptly forgotten your username. Credit to her.

I doubt we are going to get a egg, because you can(and I did) pick a male Vampire. And they can't breed with anyone.

Now a adult dragon aka the mate showing up? That I am not sure about, but probably not. laugh.gif

Really love the Heartstealers, especially the poses. biggrin.gif They look like they're flying/curled/hovering in almost a heart shape.

Edited by Capricornus