FiveSix

'Show Resulting Lineage' Option

edit 3: see edit 2 at the end for what most of us are currently thinking is the best version of this.

Idea: add an on/off setting in account settings called 'Show resulting lineage before breeding' and when you click 'breed' (if you have this setting enabled) instead of breeding immediately it shows you the resulting lineage (with the '?' egg as offspring) with a new button to confirm. Good way to avoid accidental messies and wasted weeks? Anyone think it'd need tweaking first?

I suggest we leave it as optional by account because people who mostly breed from established pairs might find the extra click isn't worth it, especially if using mobile devices.

Edit: The default setting when an account is created or this is first implemented would be to have it turned off unless someone comes along and tell us why not.

Edit 2: An alternative (and almost certainly better) suggestion from SockPuppet Strangler is that both options are available on the mate selection page - one as 'Preview' (which shows the lineage that will result from the breeding and has 'Breed' and 'Back' buttons) and one as the current 'Breed', unaltered. This allows picking and choosing on the basis of each individual breeding.

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

I support; it's nice to be able to make sure I'm using the right dragon (for example, I'm doing a stair with one dragon and a checker with the other).

Maybe have it as "opt in" rather than "opt out"?

If the default option is off then i thing the majority can live with it.

For my part i will turn this feature on and there is no need for taking notes thar will diasappear in mysterious ways. wink.gif

I hadn't thought about what the default would be but defaulting to 'off' is fine. I'll add that to the first post smile.gif

Support 100%. I've miss-bred a number of times, and its always distressing.

Cheers!

C4.

Oh yes, please! I know there are tools for doing just that, for example on AoND, but you'd need to get both dragon's code first - which, in case of a named mate from the breeding list, is quite a few clicks (and other stuff) away.

C4 will kill me now - but I'd rather have TAGS than just a lineage preview, because a lineage preview will only tell me if they give the line i am trying for, and not, if it is inbred with one of my 60 other 3gs.

Yes. I support this. I've bred the wrong things before and I think this would cut down on a lot of that.

*tilts head*

WB, I'm not even sure how those tags of yours would solve the current problem, which is... you have two dragons of the same breed and you pick the wrong one to breed to. Only a lineage preview would solve that problem without requiring people to make notes on the dragons, or to tag them with everything they need to be tagged with. Oh, tags might be able to be made to work in this situation, but..... Its not where they shine.

A lineage preview when you go to breed is an easy, visual way to see "oops I'm an idiot!" before hitting the "breed" button, like happened here:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/8jG6F

It was right next to the proper mate.... I just clicked on the wrong one. And didn't notice until it was too late. And if you are going to have an (optional) step between clicking "breed" and the egg being produced, a lineage preview is the simplest method.

Cheers!

C4.

Ah, how I know that kind of oops. xd.png I changed the daddy's name so it hopefully doesn't happen again, but, well, a lineage preview just to make sure is a nice thing.

Edited by olympe

While tags could serve the same function (and is an idea I'd also like), this way wouldn't require a long time player to go through maybe 200+ to 500+ of their dragons that they expect to breed sometime and tag them all correctly. Once it's implemented any breeding event can be checked for every aspect of lineage correctness (I assume it'd have links to each dragon in the lineage) either right there or one click away, with no extra input from the player.

A lineage view shows inbreeding well enough at maybe 8 or under generations, surely?

To be honest even if we can't get a lineage view I'd love an 'are you sure?' page - everything else requires a password and breeding doesn't even have that failsafe.

please no more mandatory passwords!

yes, people do misclick sometime, but you have to learn to live with that.

I need to breed this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/lKQgU

to that:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/n/blue%20excellence

And how do I know that? excel. If you think you're a real breeder, you need to make your own records, too. Else you'll fail anyway, be there a preview or not. Of course, if you just do low-gens, this might help - but honestly, thats not much of a breeding issue then either, because what does one misbreed cost you? a week or two.

I would be happy enough if the name/code (or the picture) on the breeding list would be a link to the to-be mate's /view/ or /lineage/ page. But yes, this also makes sense.

please no more mandatory passwords!

yes, people do misclick sometime, but you have to learn to live with that.

I need to breed this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/lKQgU

to that:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/n/blue%20excellence

And how do I know that? excel. If you think you're a real breeder, you need to make your own records, too. Else you'll fail anyway, be there a preview or not. Of course, if you just do low-gens, this might help - but honestly, thats not much of a breeding issue then either, because what does one misbreed cost you? a week or two.

I'm not suggesting more passwords smile.gif I agree with you there's enough asked for already, I just want another click between 'breed' and 'oops that wasn't what I meant to click'.

I do keep an excel spreadsheet but I still get anxious about it being the wrong one. *shrug* Holidays aside you're right, it's just a week, but if this can be implemented it's one thing fewer to worry about for many of us.

Hahaha I do keep records. tongue.gif But that doesn't help when you click on the wrong one.

And since this would be in account settings and easy to turn on / off (unlike a password confirm....)....

I'd HATE to see a password confirm. Especially since it wouldn't help with clicking the wrong mate, unless you realized before you saw the lineage that you picked the wrong one. I didn't realize until after I'd clicked to view the lineage.

Cheers!

C4.

You guys are forgetting one thing. Mobile Players (or those with comparable internet)

Why is that important? On mobile, it takes a bit for images to load, so even if you THINK the page is loaded completely before you go to click breed, at the last second the page can JUMP causing you to click the wrong "breed" button. It's happened more than once to me. All of a sudden, I go from breeding a nice lineage to an inbred mess. It's especially annoying when it happens on a holiday or with a rare that takes FOREVER to breed and it chooses that moment to agree to the match. I have not one, but two Tinsels whose only Tinsel offspring happened with a screen jump (one is my favorite one too sleep.gif ).

That's why something like this is so important. A simple lineage screen with "are you sure" and YES or NO options (no password needed) would fix that. The NO option could take you back to the breeding screen to try again.

Another thing is I imagine a lot of people would start getting a little more imaginative with names rather than tacking on things like CB or 3pb. I know I would. cool.gif

This would be lovely. I misbred two valentine dragons and, well, that's it for the year. Got to wait another year. This would be terribly helpful.

A simple link to the partner's view/lineage page from the breeding list would also help out a lot. Much better than having to search for that dragon in your scroll to check if it's right.

Leave it optional and off by default and I'll have no problem with this.

I'm currently experiencing no problem with misbreeding and I breed things like this, which I have absolutely no interest in seeing their lineages (and thus taxing my browser heavily) everytime I breed them.

Edited by CNR4806

This would be really useful. I've misbred a number of times because I couldn't be bothered digging through my extensive number of dragons to find the right mate and I just clicked on the one I thought was right.

What about just altering the breed page? A "Preview" option next to breed and you could either click that or breed. If you chose preview, there would be a "Back" or "Breed" option at the top/bottom of the page so you could breed straight from there if you wanted.

As long as the site can handle it.

I think that would be the best solution, to be honest. Breed and Lineage Preview links on the breed page and another Breed link on the Preview page for that particular pairing.

What about just altering the breed page? A "Preview" option next to breed and you could either click that or breed. If you chose preview, there would be a "Back" or "Breed" option at the top/bottom of the page so you could breed straight from there if you wanted.

As long as the site can handle it.

I love this idea, and prefer it a lot over the original suggestion. That way it's optional, but when you breed established pairs, you can easily skip it.

On another note: While I'd love to have an on-site lineage preview, I'd prefer if it was accessible for all dragons. If it is implemented in the way this is currently being discussed, it won't work for dragons that are on breeding cooldown, and it won't work for eggs and hatchies (at least I often put growing things in AoND's lineage viewer when I'm working on a lineage).

So I'd love to see this in some other place as well, where it can be used on any and all dragons without restrictions (but without the breed link when breeding is not available, obviously).

I like this idea a lot! A lot of reasons have already been said and I agree with most of them but I just want to say that I like this because I am simply too lazy to keep a spreadsheet and constantly update it xd.png

And as mentioned; specially for holidays would this be useful! happy.gif