pudding

Reincarnated

In the depths of the castle, the mages had met, gathering around a circular table. Though they wore cloaks that hid their faces, the tension in the air was a clear sign of their unease.

"This is taking too long," one mage muttered, toying with a circular pedant he wore around his neck. "We need to bring them back now."

"Our preparations are almost complete," another mage reassured, looking around at the rest of them. Only a few were gathered around the table but there were more mages around. Several had been assigned to each of the seven rooms to monitor the bodies. That was, after all, what they were at this point. Without the souls to guide them, they were practically just corpses. But so much effort had gone into this project. Just trying to figure out the ancient technology was a mystery, let alone using it to regrow the legendary heroes' bodies. "It should only take a few moments longer and then we can begin. The Legendary Heroes will be reborn."

At that moment, another cloaked figure burst into the room. When he spoke, it was clear he was younger, probably just a teenager. "They're ready," He said, looking up at the assembled people as they all quickly stood.

"Good," One of the mages replied, looking around at his comrades. "We'll begin the process shortly. To your places, everyone! Today, we will revive the Legendary Heroes."

Something felt off about the day. James didn't know what yet but most likely, he was getting sick. Still, the headaches he was getting periodically weren't very pleasant, and the nightmares he had woken up from earlier that morning hadn't been a good start to the day. Then again, considering it was winter now, it wouldn't be too uncommon for him to be getting sick. And not sleeping well on top of that would give anyone really bad headaches. So the feelings went ignored as he rubbed his eyes and focused on the brightly-lit laptop in front of him and did his best to ignore the sounds of people working around him at the coffee shop. Just because it was Sunday didn't mean there was work to be done. He needed to get these reports in by the end of the week. Still, every time he tried to squint at the numbers to make them out, they just blurred further.

Great. Just great. James rubbed his eyes a bit more harshly this time, trying to snap some sense into them so they'd just read the numbers. He had no patience for this today. He was function on three hours of sleep and expresso and the headache was just getting in the way of him getting his work done. Maybe he needed a break from working. It was Sunday and he had spent the entire week trying to get as far ahead on the reports as he could. But who wouldn't be busy on a Sunday morning? People were always doing things with their families or other people like that over the weekends. With a sigh, he closed his laptop and slipped it back into the bag, instead choosing to lean backwards and take a moment to breathe.

(Whoa, text wall.)

Derek rubbed his temples after dropping his pencil. He loved animals, hated homework. He was working on designing a window decal for the new place in the city called Dog a Lattè, a little cafè that welcome and served both dogs and their masters. When ever something to do with animals lands on the head man's desk he gives it to Derek. Normally he would have a week to work on it and submit it, but this shop was opening at the week's end, and he had to have it done by Monday.

He got up out of his drawing desk stool and wandered around his studio apartment overlooking the park, he was nearly finished so he thought he deserved a break. The headaches weren't helping. He thought it was because he was hunched over a desk for hours on end, or possibly it was lack of sleep. He had another dream again, this time he was able to draw half of the scene before it slipped once more, but he didn't know what his drawing was of. It confused him. Derek lay down on the single love seat, his leg over the arm the other on the floor, arm over his eyes to help him rest for a little while.

A knock sounded at the door. "Who is it?" He called without moving. There was a sound of a key turning a lock, then the door burst open and he was jumped by a Mexican hairless pit bull mix that had on a red dog hoodie and a pink "diamond" collar. The dog licked him and wiggle about as he laughed. "You brought Lilly! How's my girl? How are you my puppy?" He laughed and got her to settle down after his face was covered in dog slobber. He rubbed it off on his sleeve looking at the two men that came in with the dog. One had salt and pepper hair, brown eyes with wire rim glasses and a gray pull over and a red scarf, the other blonde hair, blue eyes with a black jacket and a blue sweatshirt on under that. "Did you think we wouldn't bring our boy's dog?" The one with the glasses said. The other hugged Derek and the dog laughing as she licked him too. "What kind of parents would we be if we went to visit our boy and not bring his beloved Lilly too... She's been a very good girl for us, and has lots of toys and warm jackets so she doesn't get cold.." Derek pushed off the dog glad he was with his parents now. He told them about his headaches and his most recent dream, while giving Lilly some love by rubbing her ears and belly.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((time for my journey to begin!))

Robert strode along the sidewalk. Everybody who had sense got away. Anybody who didn't got shoved off. Rob wasn't feeling well. His vision was blurry, but he had perfect vision. What the hell was going on? Being a normally nasty person, he was living hell when he didn't feel well. He walked into a coffee shop.

Get out of my way! Move! Rob had a semi-heavy Italian accent as he put in an order. He soon sat down next to James ((assuming they know each other)). Robert soon felt a worse headache. Maybe I should see a doctor....seriously, what is going on? feels like I am being brought back from the dead.

He was terrible at art. Why was he even trying? Clarence glanced down at his work and groaned dramatically. It was no sharp shinned hawk, that was for sure. No, he was talent less with a pencil. The young man lifted a hand to crumple the piece of paper when it happened again. Those flashes of...something. A shooting pain burned behind his eyeballs, followed by the crystal-clear view of a place unknown. But he could feel the wind through his short-cropped hair, and the steady rhythm of what had to be his wings. It was pure ecstasy. The moment the vision began, however, it ended. Beads of sweat had formed on his brow. Rising from his seat. he crushed the piece of paper in his hand and tossed it towards his trash bin. Food. Maybe that would help. Before he walked downstairs, Clarence pulled the cell phone from his pocket. A short note was typed, and then sent via group message to his friends.

I dunno how Derek does it. Drawing sucks.

Edited by shadow_claw

James felt a vibration from his back pocket and took a deep breath before shifting so he could reach his phone. Really, he was hoping it wasn't his job. The last thing he needed now was more work being piled onto his plate. But, thankfully, it was the group message they had set up. Oh, thank god. Talking with them was so much better than trying to struggle through his headache to do work. Oh, and his lack of sleep. Smirking slightly at the message, he thought briefly before his on fingers darted across his phone, tapping the letters quietly.

Well I can barely write legibly let alone draw so…

Smiling slightly, he shook his head as he set down his phone, only to hear a familiar sound. Looking up, he watched as a very familiar face ordered a cup of coffee before sitting down at the same grouping of couches as him. "Robert," he greeted, a smile forming on his face as he sat up a little straighter. Funny how all he had to do was think about his friends and suddenly they were texting him or appearing out of no where to sit next to him. Even if it was Robert, he was glad for it. Especially considering Robert was…well, kind of an ass. But they'd been friends for such a long time it was hard to reprimand him for his behavior. He just let it slide, mostly. "What are you doing here, friend? I didn't know you even went to this coffee shop."

Derek had finished his work and taken his parents and Lilly out to the park when his phone howled, and Lilly joined it. He had a wolf howl as his ring tone for the group chat. When he checked it he laughed and quickly replied to both of them, as his Pa threw snowballs for Lilly to hunt after.

You're better off making origami paper cranes Clarence! And I suck at math, and checkers you always beat me James. Hey Rob... you know those pigeons you always gripe about? Lilly seems to think the same thing. Hey guys my puppy Lilly!

He took a photo with his phone and sent it, it was of red clad Lilly barring down on a pigeon that was trying to take off. The dog looked crazed and happy, her tongue flopping out. After that he put his phone away and chased the dog around.

As he walked from his loft and down the ladder, Clarence couldn't help but smile as the phone buzzed in his hand. Once one the floor again, he scrolled through the responses. Talking with his friends always brought on such a happy feeling. They were all so great, even Rob. Striding into the kitchen, his smile widened at the sight of his parents. The two were eating lunch together at the table, chatting and drinking coffee. The young man leaned in, pressing a soft kiss against his mother's cheek. Afternoon momma. he greeted warmly. Mrs. Hannon reached up a hand to pat his cheek, a smile soon curling her plush lips upwards.

Hi baby. You just get up?

That's right...he hadn't gone downstairs to greet his family all day. He had slept in rather late, though. A migraine before bed often did that.

No, I've just been lazy. Once his mom released him, he took a seat at the table and swiped his phone on.

You say that like I'm any good and origami. Nah, I'm more of a science-oriented guy.

I have been here before. I just don't usually have coffee. Man, I feel so sh*tty right now.

Rob almost chuckled at the text about pigeons. Almost

Those pigeons? Those asses are always pooping on people's heads and it is SO censorkip.gif ING ANNOYING MY GOD. Seriously, am I the only one with blurry vision and a headache?

Rob clutched his forehead again. Damn, it HURT SO BAD. What was even going on? If anybody tried to even talk to him besides his friends, they would become sterile. At least the guys. His mood was THAT bad. He simply sighed. Arg! Maybe coffee doesn't help... Rob opened a game on his phone and started to play. He was awesome at it, but he did less so because of his blurry vision. He grunted and continued to play.

Don't hate on pigeons. They're just adapting to the world we're changing. It's our fault they're so urban

Clarence replied. Frankly, he quite liked pigeons. He liked any bird, though. That's what happened when one was raised by ornithologists.

Do you want something to eat, baby? There's still hash-browns in the skillet if you wanna heat it up. His mouth watered at the thought of food. His dad often made breakfast for his three younger siblings (Denise was 18, Charlie was 16, and Tanya was 14) before they had to go to school. His other two brothers, Greg (29) and Harley (30) had moved out a while ago. They were going to college and preferred to dorm in town. Clarence was in college too, but lived on the large plot of land he had grown up on. He was studying medicine in the hopes of becoming a doctor.

Everybody loves doves, but everyone hates their cousins the pigeons.

I have to agree with Clarence. Now seagulls on the other hand. That's a different thing.

He frowned at the text before glancing up at Rob, frowning slightly. "I think something is going around," he admitted with a shrug and a sigh. Headaches were part of those common illnesses that went around during the winter. Everyone was getting sick now, not just them. It wasn't an unusual thing. "If you've got headaches, I've heard coffee is bad for you," James added, lifting his own mug slightly and taking a sip. Headaches or not, he didn't care. He was addicted to coffee at this point so if he didn't have his daily dose, his headaches would only be worse. Plus, he would probably be passed out from lack of sleep. That wasn't helping at all.

Hey! You're talking to the guy who nearly blew up the science lab in high school remember that? Don't worry, me and my Dads are making sure she doesn't eat them. Doves are cool, but pigeons are fun to draw with all the colors on them....

Derek typed as he was running from Lilly, he was an amazing multi tasker, given his creative mind and hyperactivity, but he smashed into a tree and flopped on his back with a groan. He got up and stumbled to a bench.

Yah, I do, but I think I made it worse by running into a tree. Chris hath.

At that point Lilly jumped him and lick attacked him, he handed the phone to one of his parents to send it for him. Lilly made his thumb slip around and auto correct turned the random letters into something. He wrestled with Lilly on the bench. "Gettoff! Yah mutt! Yes I know I love you too, now off! You're crushing me! Ugh heavy!" Derek's dad distracted the dog and had her chase him around. "She has so much energy!" Derek huffed.

I swear, this flu going around is getting to everyone

Every year, the common cold seemed to wreak havoc on the city's population. Even when he seldom left the house, he always came down with some sort of illness. This year had no exception. Clarence rose from his seat and to the still-warm skillet, turning to his right and opening the cabinet above the stove. He slid a plate from the stack and scooped the remainder of his siblings' breakfast. With his plate full, he returned to his chair his his parents.

Take some ibuprofen or something. I slept my headache off.

The flu is getting more brutal each year. I'm starting to consider just not going outside at all in winter.

James set his phone down briefly to look around the coffee shop. Some other people looked like they were coming down with something as well, but most of them looked healthy. Well, as long as he wasn't the only one, he wasn't going to feel bad about potentially spreading something. Besides, everyone got the flu so if he did it, it didn't matter too much. Besides, he wasn't coughing or anything so it wasn't like he would spread it to people. Right?

Mina couldn't remember the last time she felt energetic and ready to go to school. A major of archeology, it had been a dream of hers to explore the worlds ruins, whether they be on cliff faces or in deep ravines beneath the sea. Yet, lately, only headaches and nightmares had plagued her. Groggy and unkempt, she threw a graphic t and a pair of jeans on, slipped into her tennis shoes and grabbed her wallet. As she was heading to the front door of her apartment, Mina secured her keys from the hook above her cupboard and made sure to lock everything up. Once she did her security checks (double-checking the door was locked), Mina continued to the parking lot where her 1994, beat up and slightly rusted, sky blue Corolla sat waiting.

After a few minutes of weaving through traffic in her little beater, Mina finally pulled up to the café most of her friends usually met up at and checked to see who all was already present before locking up her bucket and joining them all inside. Beforehand, she ordered a chocolate-caramel latte, double shots with whipped cream and a cherry on top, smothered in chocolate drizzle just for the added taste. Once she got that, there was no hesitation in plopping down next to the others and letting her head bang on the table.

"I can't go on. These headaches are too pressing and I think I failed the test Friday, cause I was up til 4:00 that morning."

When Mina walked into the door, James actually noticed. Unlike before when he was trying to focus on his work and Robert walked in, he had given up and was now more open to what was going on around him. So when the door opened with the ringing of a few bells, his gaze drifted upwards and gradually focused on the familiar face making her way to the counter. First Robert, now Mina. For an unofficial meet up that happened totally by chance, there was a rather large turnout. Then again, he practically lived in the coffee house and the group as a whole tended to flock together, even if they made no plans for it. They were all just really close friends and had been close friends since childhood. It wasn't surprising they were all on a similar wavelength.

"Something has been going around," James agreed with a nod as Mina sat down with some kind of sugar monstrosity in her hands. "But bashing your head on hard objects is not going to help," He added with a small smile as he took a small sip of his own coffee.

Derek put away his phone as his dads went to sight see, and he hooked up Lilly to her leash and went for a walk around the park. The cool air and crunching snow under his boots helped ease his headache. He did take a ibuprofen a while ago, but it didn't lessen the pain at all. He huffed a sigh, breath misting in the frigid temperature. His friends had colds too? He didn't think he had one, his nose wasn't stuffy as it normally is when he's sick. At least the guy's who texted him all sounded like they had or thought they had a cold.

Derek wasn't one to believe in coincidences. He thought, in his fanciful way, something brought them together as friends. Hell, he wouldn't normally be so close to a guy like Robert, so it had to be something but, alas, when he tried to explain it to them before they laughed and told him he read to many fantasy books...... perhaps he does....

Ugh. You almost got expelled. Not sure if I would laugh or get upset.

Rob continued his game when he received all the other messages.

Ya. This flu is tremendous. I need something to eat.

Rob went to the counter and ordered a simple donut. Then he sat down next to James again and nomed on his donut.

He looked up when Mina came in. Ya. Nice try trying to crack your skull open. Your life isn't ending now. For some reason, Rob was close to these guys. Under normal circumstances, he would punch them for being too close to him. Even so, if they teased him, they got a punch. Somehow, they understood and stuck with him. His sibs stayed away from him, in case he threw them out the window. All nine of them. Yup, he was the oldest out of ten kids. Even his parents and aunts and uncles and cousins and others were cautious around him. His friends were the only ones he seemed to truly have. Rob wondered why. Why were they all friends with him? Him being the 'sociopath' he was...

Summer threw the Tylenol pills as far as she could into the back of her mouth, keeping her tongue low. She quickly swallowed the pills and raised the glass of water in her hand to her mouth, taking deep gulps attempting to wash the pills down her throat. Finishing the glass of water, she set the cup on the counter and screwed on the white cap of the Tylenol bottle. Her headache dully ached through the whole process.

She placed the bottle back in the cupboard and reached over the counter to where her phone sat, plugged into it's charger. The phone buzzed as she pulled her it out of it's charger, the screen lit up to reveal her blue unlock screen. Her friends had left her a wall of text messages to read. Quickly she skimmed over the texts, concern growing in her mind as she found out about the sudden outbreak of the flu.

Is everyone getting enough sleep at night? You all are overworking yourselves

Mina looked up as Robert sat back down, commenting how she had just tried cracking her skull open. Sticking her tongue out, she proceeded to pull her drink as close as she could and sipped on its contents.

"It's definitely more bearable than this weird migraine. My head has felt like it was going to explode for the past three or four days. I'm tired and I probably look like a mess right now."

As if to self-confirm her last comment, Mina pulled out her phone, flipped the camera settings and a look of great disgust became quite evident the moment she did so. Looking at herself for the first time, she realized just how messy her hair was. Like, it looked like something lived up there. Sighing, knowing there was nothing she could do about it, she turned to face James with a rather exaggerated grin before hitting him in the shoulder.

"Why didn't you tell me I looked like a hobo?! I might as well have let my little brother dress me!"

"Well, that's life," James replied, scratching the back of his head. He cracked a small smile at Mina, trying to stay optimistic even though he probably didn't look much better than her. There were bags under his eyes from lack of sleep and he was pretty sure his hair was a mess under his hat. Thank god for hats to hide all of his laziness and just pure tiredness. "I couldn't do that!" He replied, smirking as she hit his shoulder. It was just a playful act so it hadn't hurt all that much. But it did seem to leave behind a weird tingling sensation in his arm. Weird. Really, really weird.

"Not when I look like a hobo too. But if you're going to be self conscious about it, you can always just borrow my hat." As he spoke, he picked up his phone again and squinted at the texts before quickly typing a response and sending it out to the group.

Haven't you heard? Working ourselves to literal death is the new trend. Sleeping is for wimps.

I slept pretty well. Had some crazy dreams, though. Ever get those dreams where you can fly? I got one of those, but it was really...I dunno, vivid? Like the dreams you get when you eat a lot of sugar before bed.

Clarence closed his eyes as he recalled the previous night's dream. That feeling of freedom was one he couldn't ignore. Not being bound to the ground...It brought a sort of elation he just couldn't ignore. They seemed too vivid to be dreams. The student puzzled over this while chewing a mouthful of hashbrown. Dad had cooked cheese in, but it had cooled a short while ago. A shame, but not sad enough to get up and pop the plate in the microwave. Food was food, whether hot or lukewarm.

Am I the only one that slept through the night with little disturbances?

Derek headed back to his studio and lay down on his bed reading the texts. He tapped at his phone yawning.

Sleep sounds good right now. Drugs didn't work. I don't think it's a cold, I don't have a runny nose or sore throat that goes along with it. I think it's something else. I get dreams of battle, which is odd because that would be something Rob would dream about not me, but yeah... I draw them when I can. Might show you a few pictures... Hey Summer! You should swing by and look at my puppy she's a cutie, always loves guests. I didn't get any sleep, deadlines.... ugh... they suck! I'd rather have Robbie for a boss, and that is saying a lot about mine! Well, I'm taking a nap guys, hope you're headaches stop.

Derek silenced his phone yawning again and curled up with Lilly trying to get some shut eye.

When Mina stuck her tounge out at him, he chuckled and stuck his out back at her. He read the next few texts. Not even the best brush could take out my hobo look, please.

No sleep? I also had extremely crazy dreams.

Flying dreams. Not only that, but dreams where I have color changing hair, eyes, wings, horns and tail. They are nuts. Also where I am a total sweetheart and is friends with everybody and EVERYTHING I AM NOT IT IS NUTS.

Rob put his phone away. Then he looked at again.

You would rather have me as a boss? Well, shucks. I am sure I would do a GREAT job.

Without so much as a second thought, Mina yanked James' hat away and did her best to cover up the mess atop her head that some would call hair. For once, she was pleased he had a larger head as the hat settled on her head rather well. Cocking it to the side, she took another sip from her drink before offering some to James and Rob.

"Ya know, my dreams lately have been... weird. Filled with blood and... weirdness. Like, I didn't fear the blood, but rather I seemed to enjoy its presence. Almost like I craved it. I don't know. There wasn't much I can remember beyond the headaches."

Laying down across the table, Mina began tapping the fingers of her free hand on the surface while she waited to see if the other two were gonna accept her drink offer. After all, it wasn't often she shared something of hers, especially drink or food related.

"Just so you know, I'm holding onto this hat until I get home. If you want it, you'll have to come pick it up. I need some painkillers, so I'll be stopping by the pharmacy on the way back."

James smiled as Mina swiped his hat, using it to cover up her own messy hair while at the same time revealing his. Well, he didn't mind as much as her. It wasn't like he knew anyone in the coffee shop other than his friends and they all looked equally bad today. Just trying to give some kind of effort early in the morning wasn't an excepted idea, at least according to his brain. Usually, he was just focused on how much caffeine he could inhale to compensate for his sleeplessness that had appeared as if out of nowhere. Seriously, he loved sleeping. Taking that away from him was one of the worst things in the world.

He's gaze focused back on Mina as he looked down at the sugary drink in her hand. Well, on one hand, he didn't like sugary things as much. He'd always been drawn to salty foods like chips over ice-cream. But on the other hand, Mina rarely shared anything. It seemed like a once in a lifetime opportunity. So, with a smile, he reached out and took a small sip of the drink before setting it back down.

"You're a bit of a psychopath, you know that?" He replied but his smile made it clear he was joking. But really though, that was pretty crazy. "You freaking vampire. You can steal my hat all you want but if you try to bite me, I'm going to throw garlic at you."

Seven rooms for seven heroes. Seven carefully collected and moved tanks filled with a strange, green liquid and suspended within the liquid were bodies. In each room, there was an outfit carefully laid out on a nearby table. And inside one of the seven rooms, a seven mages and fourteen apprentices gathered around the tank as one of the mages stepped forward. Originally, they had planned on summoning the heroes all at once. But this was the first time they were doing this and they all wanted to be there to see what would happen. Besides, staggering out the arrival of the heroes made it easier to manage them. A fifteen minute time window gave plenty of time to dress the revived individual and calm them down from whatever state of panic they were in. After all, they were being revived from the dead. Anyone was expected to panic at that point.

"We're ready," A male mage said as he held his hand up to the tank to face the tank, fingers spread wide and eyes narrowed in focus. Two apprentices flanked him, adopting similar poses as they stared at the body suspended in the greenish liquid. "Remember, keep a tight hold on his soul. We don't want to lose it after we drag it here from the afterlife."

James smile suddenly faded as, for a moment, his vision went green. He blinked a few times as he brought a hand up to his face, covering his mouth as he began to cough. His chest heaved uncomfortably and loudly and it didn't take very long for people in the coffee shop to notice as his coughing continued. His other hand wrapped around his stomach as an intense pain stabbed at his chest that made his whole body shake. He couldn't breathe! Was he choking on something? Jesus Christ, he felt like someone had shoved the entire ocean down his throat!

The mage smiled slightly as the body inside the tank began to move. While the green liquid was perfectly harmless and could be breathed in normally, it was still an uncomfortable sensation to be sure. He clearly didn't like it, either. Black eyes like coal snapped open as the creature inside the tank gradually became more responsive. Shaking hands shifted through the liquid and pressed against the hard glass of the tank before one hand curled into a fist and punched the glass. No, not yet. The soul was still divided between the two realms, they couldn't stop now. But it would only take a moment longer. The mage's smile faded as he focused back on the task at hand and gave one last pull.

James wheezed before collapsing entirely as his vision went dark. However, instead of remaining that way for long, it quickly flushed green and the sensation of drowning that had caused him to cough so tremendously was accompanied by the feeling of water all around him. He actually was drowning! What the hell?! Bubbles rose up around his eyes as he reached out in a panic, trying to find some kind of an escape route from the liquid. However, he didn't need to as only a few seconds later, the glass from the tank began to raise into the ceiling and the green liquid poured out, sliding down a drain in the cold, stone floor. But he scarcely noticed as his hands and knees found the floor of the tank and he continued to cough, sputtering out green liquid as it drained around him. Something heavy was thumping loudly in his throat and ears and it took him a few moments to realize it was the sound of his own heart panicking and beating.

"Don't just stare at him, help him get dressed," a voice ordered from somewhere in front of him.

Two pairs of hands helped him upwards as a towel was thrown across the back of his head to dry off his hair. He didn't have time to think before he was being helped into a pair of clothes by one person and the other was drying off his hair. "W-wait!" he managed to say as a shirt was pulled over his head and his arms were guided through sleeve holes. His mind was drawing a complete blank in that he had no idea what was going on. He had just been in a coffee shop talking with his friends but now… well, he had no idea what was going on.

"Do not worry," a voice said near him and James quickly looked up at a younger boy, probably a teenager, looked at him from under a dark cloak. If James hadn't known any better, he would've thought there was admiration in those eyes. "We've brought you back from the dead."

As the other mages cleared from the room, they quickly divided and fanned out to the other rooms. Now that the first one had successfully been completed by a mage and his apprentices, they felt more comfortable preforming the same thing with their apprentices. So there was little fuss as they fanned out and each mage entered a different room, followed by two apprentices. Exactly twenty minutes had passed since Viziel had been revived. It was time to revive the rest of them.