angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

10 hours ago, olympe said:

There's still the issue of heavy competition, which is especially bad for players who haven't been able to get their original two yet. If you think of how many people didn't manage to get CB omens despite trying, then you get an idea of what "no limits" will be like. Or how many people haven't been able to get a holly or yule last Winter, or how many people didn't manage to catch their fill of CB Val '09s.

And that was WITH LIMITS in place, since nobody was there who was able to pick up all those Winter Magis and Ribbon Dancers anymore which were blocking the cave - because everyone had their two SLOTS FILLED.

With regards to cave hunting, it doesn't really matter either way - but more CBs would at least mean more breeding options.

12 hours ago, olympe said:

There's still the issue of heavy competition, which is especially bad for players who haven't been able to get their original two yet. If you think of how many people didn't manage to get CB omens despite trying, then you get an idea of what "no limits" will be like. Or how many people haven't been able to get a holly or yule last Winter, or how many people didn't manage to catch their fill of CB Val '09s.

but that will mostly only effect people the first year or two.  Once faster clickers get their fill, they won't go so fast AND having higher limits also allows people like myself who already have all they want catch more to gift to those who can't, which is very much in the spirit of both holidays.  Honestly, It bugs the heck out me to see "I can't seem to catch X" while I'm staring at that same dragon and can't grab it for that person.

3 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

but that will mostly only effect people the first year or two.  Once faster clickers get their fill, they won't go so fast AND having higher limits also allows people like myself who already have all they want catch more to gift to those who can't, which is very much in the spirit of both holidays.  Honestly, It bugs the heck out me to see "I can't seem to catch X" while I'm staring at that same dragon and can't grab it for that person.

Actually, I'm not complaining that I didn't manage to get any of those breeds. I wasn't trying for Omens, and I got my hollies, yules and Vals during the last holiday events, thank you very much. In essence, I'm very much at the limit for every limited breed. Still, there are a number of players who aren't, and I feel like they should be able to get theirs with as little hassle as I did. (So, okay, the hollies were quite the hassle to get - but it was possible.) Making all breeds unlimited will, without a doubt, increase competition for the CB holiday eggs, which will make it harder for people to get them - which is especially hard on them if they don't have any CBs of that breed at all. Even unlimited from the start would be better than the proposed limit of 2 in year one, then unlimited in the following years. Because people will feel the need to catch up with that rule, which, once again, increases competition.

I'd much rather see some rule where the holiday biome only lets people catch up to their original limit of 2 for a certain time, and afterwards, the thing becomes a free for all. Like, during the breeding week, you can only catch up until you're at your limit. Starting with the release of the new breed, you can catch as many as you want. Something like that.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:33 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@sorenna personally I found multiple newer Halloweens (Omens, witchs, caligenes) CB in the AP. People also are more likely to have them by simple fact that they’re newer and thus the pool that missed out is a lot smaller than, say, the pool that missed Marrows. I think waiting three years to raise limits is excessive, with that in mind.

The idea of limits-then-not is actually really appealing. I’d suggest a few minor tweaks, though:

- Raise the INITIAL limit to 4;

- Unlimited the next year;

- Make them available in the market during breeding week. I’d suggest a low price, but anything is fine so long as it gives people a backup option if they can’t catch them in cave. Personally I don’t think this is really NECESSARY, but it would fix a lot of the main concerns people have about raising limits.

Actually, ADP, the solution you suggest sounds just about ideal to me. 

I really think holidays ought to be available in the market during their 'breeding season'. IF eggs are going to be dropping in biomes, then it sort of makes sense 

( AND as you say, gives people a backup method for getting what they want... if they are willing to spend the shards!)

27 minutes ago, olympe said:

I'd much rather see some rule where the holiday biome only lets people catch up to their original limit of 2 for a certain time, and afterwards, the thing becomes a free for all. Like, during the breeding week, you can only catch up until you're at your limit. Starting with the release of the new breed, you can catch as many as you want. Something like that.

That only let's you catch 6 extra eggs though. And that's also meaning egglock for 2-3 days unable to grab anything from the AP which doesn't help that blocking situation there either.

At this point I'd say just make it a free for all and people who can't compete should be able to buy from the market.

I actually like it how it is. If there's a holiday biome, it's nice to have that for newer players/players who've missed releases and waiting for 5 minutes for it to refresh if absolutely no one clicks anything isn't a big deal. It also encourages more breeding and trading, rather than people just waiting for CB eggs to hatch.

39 minutes ago, owlion said:

It also encourages more breeding and trading, rather than people just waiting for CB eggs to hatch.

Considering the Halloween AP wall, no limts doesn't seem to make people not want to breed. And the large amount of trades I saw actually happened because of no limits on CBs, so overall doing no limits seems to actually encourage trading (and gifting! Limits causes Valentine's and Christmas to be the greedier holidays of DC, while Halloween is more like Christmas when it comes to the spirit of giving, which is... odd). Also, more CBs = more 2gs = more nice lineages that can be created, when it comes to breeding.

Edited by KrazyKarp

On 11/13/2018 at 2:33 AM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@sorenna personally I found multiple newer Halloweens (Omens, witchs, caligenes) CB in the AP. People also are more likely to have them by simple fact that they’re newer and thus the pool that missed out is a lot smaller than, say, the pool that missed Marrows. I think waiting three years to raise limits is excessive, with that in mind.

The idea of limits-then-not is actually really appealing. I’d suggest a few minor tweaks, though:

- Raise the INITIAL limit to 4;

- Unlimited the next year;

- Make them available in the market during breeding week. I’d suggest a low price, but anything is fine so long as it gives people a backup option if they can’t catch them in cave. Personally I don’t think this is really NECESSARY, but it would fix a lot of the main concerns people have about raising limits.

This all.

The limited holidays are also literally just sitting there in the flood day 2 and 3...

As for the Holiday biome, it simply is set to spawn too few eggs (similarly to regualar biomes during regualr new releases - it's typically like 2-15s before all eggs are gone exactly because too few eggs are spawned for the current playerbase size), if it's improved on that, people won't have much issues catching past CBs on neither Halloween nor the other 2. Besides, breed limits on the Holiday biome only put certain eggs at the blocking position and not because nobody wants them, but because most of the hunting people are locked for these, and it will be all at some point at times when the playerbase catches up on past breeds overall and when only new players will be able to pick up the older breeds (plus a few who decide to release their dragons and free their limits to replace). Breed limits are simply pointles there. I'd raise them for initial release and remove them for the Holiday biome AND store. I'd even include the new breed in the store on the inital release day with no limits and just make the limit count towards biome-caught only - because that' shte only place where it can do any good at all, and 4 is good for those (as we could see in past years when new holiday eggs were just mostly sitting there for 2 days).

Edited by VixenDra

After realizing that Enraged Aegis x Caligene is a wonderful checker and I'd need help doing it... yeah, tossing in my support for at LEAST 2 CBs per year.

Just to throw my two cents in here. I know I'm horribly biased based on the way I play, which is essentially sprite collecting, but the current limits have never made sense to me. As it stands, because you can only get two of any christmas/valentines dragon on its release year, it is technically impossible to ever get a complete sprite collection. You'd need at least 3 to get an adult, gendered and ungendered hatchling. It just seems weird that a collection game has made it to where it's impossible to "catch 'em all" so to speak.

Halloween, in my experience, made it relatively easy to secure needed eggs, and that's without a limit. I don't know if there are different drop rates to take the lack of limits into account or what, but by mid-day the competition for the new release seemed relatively lax. I would happily support a limit of at least 4, but I would also support the lifting of a limit, after all, even without a limit, you are still limited by your egg cap, which is an effective cap of 8 max.

If it's sprite collecting- you can freeze lineaged ones as hatchies, no problem.

When hunting the Christmas and valentine biomes, I did have a lot of trouble grabbing rarer breeds simply due to the ones everyone already had blocking them up. I did get them in the end but it was really difficult if I recall correctly, as the biome didn’t shift. At Halloween, it was easier as the biome moved effectively, so I even managed to grab the troubling pumpkins! And a fair few cb cavernlurkers from the ap.  it’s also easier to gift in Halloween due to the lack of limits, I noticed that people were giving omens this year for example, as they could see and catch them easier. While people did donate cb hollies at Christmas, it would have been quite risky, as there was a chance of not seeing a replacement due to the stuck biome, which would have been off putting for some.

I agree with ADP, to make it easier for people struggling having them in the market for relatively cheap is a good idea, along with the limits being raised. 

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If it's sprite collecting- you can freeze lineaged ones as hatchies, no problem.

this certainly works now.  but it was super annoying when you had to choose between the sprites and breed-able adults.  It still annoys me that most of mine are one adult sets because I refuse to release dragons I've had for years.  I've never released a dragon yet and don't intend to start.  Granted I'm that weirdo that would only want a max of two adult cbs anyway.  but why am I punished for being here when they dropped the first time?

I get that. There was a suggestion that old frozens shouldn't be counted, when CBs showed up again - but it went nowhere.

13 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

this certainly works now.  but it was super annoying when you had to choose between the sprites and breed-able adults.  It still annoys me that most of mine are one adult sets because I refuse to release dragons I've had for years.  I've never released a dragon yet and don't intend to start.  Granted I'm that weirdo that would only want a max of two adult cbs anyway.  but why am I punished for being here when they dropped the first time?

Actually, you aren't, unless you choose so. You could, instead, choose to actually replace your CB frozens, just like everybody else who was in your situation. What you seem to be doing, though, is ask for special treatment.

Reading this thread made me realize how ironic the limit scheme for holidays is. TJ imposed limits on Christmas and Valentine cuz it was supposed to be all about giving, while Halloween is supposed to be about snagging as much as we can.

Instead, we have peeps actively seeking to gift during Halloween, while most are hesitant about it on Christmas and Valentine xD

1 minute ago, RandomBreeder said:

Reading this thread made me realize how ironic the limit scheme for holidays is. TJ imposed limits on Christmas and Valentine cuz it was supposed to be all about giving, while Halloween is supposed to be about snagging as much as we can.

Instead, we have peeps actively seeking to gift during Halloween, while most are hesitant about it on Christmas and Valentine xD

Yep. I guess holiday limits are a dictionary-worthy example for "something backfired".

Just for the record, getting 1/3 as lineaged for sprite collecting works, up until the new release, you can only get two of the newly released holiday dragon, as it cannot breed the same year it is released. This means, best case scenario, you will always be missing two sprites, one christmas and one valentines, which is what my original point was.

@olympe it sucks because we have to choose between abandoning frozens we’ve had for years as if they were garbage, or forever being locked to a single CB. Yes, I could release the frozens, keep the names and descriptions and slap them on another dragon—but it feels bad. Half the point of a game like this is forming soppy attachments to our “pets,” just chucking them feels wrong. It really would have been nice for TJ to allow a one time exception, and it would have hurt no one, but here we are.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@olympe it sucks because we have to choose between abandoning frozens we’ve had for years as if they were garbage, or forever being locked to a single CB. Yes, I could release the frozens, keep the names and descriptions and slap them on another dragon—but it feels bad. Half the point of a game like this is forming soppy attachments to our “pets,” just chucking them feels wrong. It really would have been nice for TJ to allow a one time exception, and it would have hurt no one, but here we are.

I agree with ADP. IT's not as of those frozens can DO anything, after all; they confer no advantage.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I agree with ADP. IT's not as of those frozens can DO anything, after all; they confer no advantage.

I know that. But why would people with a frozen CB be able to get another CB? This is something that gives preferential treatment to a certain group of players, benefit or no benefit.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

I know that. But why would people with a frozen CB be able to get another CB? This is something that gives preferential treatment to a certain group of players, benefit or no benefit.

...Because the rules literally changed under our feet? For the better on the whole, yes, but it did leave those of us with frozens in a very uncomfortable solution. You could even make the case that it was newer players who got “preferential treatment,” because they knew they didn’t have to freeze a CB to get all the sprites, unlike us.

...Yes, I’m salty. Anyway, the best outcome, for a variety of reasons, is to raise / dump limits for everyone.

10 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

...Because the rules literally changed under our feet? For the better on the whole, yes, but it did leave those of us with frozens in a very uncomfortable solution. You could even make the case that it was newer players who got “preferential treatment,” because they knew they didn’t have to freeze a CB to get all the sprites, unlike us.

...Yes, I’m salty. Anyway, the best outcome, for a variety of reasons, is to raise / dump limits for everyone.

You also have been given the ability to abandon the hatchling and get a new CB to raise. It's still your choice whether you want to do that or not. Have your cake or eat it - but don't expect an extra cake so you can do both.

2 minutes ago, olympe said:

You also have been given the ability to abandon the hatchling and get a new CB to raise. It's still your choice whether you want to do that or not. Have your cake or eat it - but don't expect an extra cake so you can do both.

I don’t even WANT an extra cake. I want a one time unfreeze (or unfreeze for everyone) so I can undo a decision made under radically different circumstances rather than having to abandon dragons I’ve grown attached to over 5+, sometimes 10+ years.

But this is getting off topic. The current suggestion fixes my issue and does a whole lot more besides.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

3 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I don’t even WANT an extra cake. I want a one time unfreeze (or unfreeze for everyone) so I can undo a decision made under radically different circumstances rather than having to abandon dragons I’ve grown attached to over 5+, sometimes 10+ years.

But this is getting off topic. The current suggestion fixes my issue and does a whole lot more besides.

I would take the unfreezing option.  And I'm not asking for "special treatment".  I don't think the limits serve a purpose anymore so I'm supporting a suggestion to change that.  My frozen hatchling are simply part of my personal reasons.  If the limits stays then I guess I keep only one adult.