angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

I mean, no one is making you get 8. The stress your own scroll goals cause you are not a good reason to limit others.

I would at least like the limit to be raised to 4. Limitless would be preferred but I understand opening the flood gates all at once might be a bad thing. +2 every year might make things go smoother- but I believe in a game where you don't have to trade someone to complete your own projects, and you can't guarantee that someone won't kill their dragons in the future (or turn their aegises)

I enjoy making my own lineages a lot, so having more CB dragons is definitely different than hunting bred ones for me, even if the parents are the pair I had in mind. 

A lot of people on the last page post about how it's easier to catch something with the 2 CB limit, but I didn't see a lot of people talking about a continuous flood of eggs for the holidays. Wouldn't that solve the problem of having trouble grabbing hollies? What do you think of that? 

(so: more CB slots, but with a continuous flood of holiday eggs - or if not continuous, way more (Holly) eggs than usual get dropped) 

I still support gradually upping the CB limits each year. I'd LOVE to hoard all the CB Radiant Angels in the world, but instantly hopping from a limit of 2 to no limits is... probably a bit too big of a shock. But I suppose a continuous flood -- as in, the biomes never running out of eggs -- could help a little.

Honestly after the early midnight to noon rush, I’ve never had an issue getting Halloween eggs. I’ve actually watched them sit there untaken because everyone is locked. 

I must admit, I never even tried for more omens, as I was looking for more marrows and pumpkins. And let's not talk about the 6+ CB cavern lurkers I found in the AP and decided to keep anyway. XD

However, getting a holly last year was tedious, although I did manage during low-traffic times. Still, I think that a full no-limits policy might be detrimental to the limited holiday dragons, as catching up on older breeds will be incredibly hard.

How about a different approach: You can only catch two CBs of these breeds, ever - but you can buy more of them in the market?

3 minutes ago, olympe said:

I must admit, I never even tried for more omens, as I was looking for more marrows and pumpkins. And let's not talk about the 6+ CB cavern lurkers I found in the AP and decided to keep anyway. XD

However, getting a holly last year was tedious, although I did manage during low-traffic times. Still, I think that a full no-limits policy might be detrimental to the limited holiday dragons, as catching up on older breeds will be incredibly hard.

How about a different approach: You can only catch two CBs of these breeds, ever - but you can buy more of them in the market?

I... sort of LIKE this solution to the problem.

PERSONALLY I would LOVE the opportunity to have TWO of both the enraged and pacified Aegis, just saying.

HOWEVER, I DO get the concern about making it harder for newer players to get older holidays.

ACTUALLY I was a wee bit dissappointed that our Halloweens weren't added to the market for the period of the event!

MIND you I get that TJ is busy and maybe he just didn't get to it, but every other dragon that drops in the biomes appears there... and this seems a good solution.

18 minutes ago, olympe said:

I'm not sure. It's better than now, of course, but I'd really like to be able to catch things with my only restriction being my slots, not anything else like my shards.

If we had a continuous flood of eggs for just the first time limits are lifted, then every holiday after it's the usual five-minute and hourly drops, that's enough. It's an easy, simple solution that fits in with more people's play-styles than anything else. That, or the previous idea of one 2-limit biome and one limitless biome.

The Market seems like a good solution for this. It's kind of a natural limit of a different kind, makes you pick what you want to afford.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

The Market seems like a good solution for this. It's kind of a natural limit of a different kind, makes you pick what you want to afford.

As long as they can ONLY be bought in season.

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As long as they can ONLY be bought in season.

That would be a prerequisite, of course. 

Eh, unless they're cheap, I don't like the idea of getting them from the market.

Personally think the holiday biome should never run out like the others do- the whole reason it exists is to give people a chance to get these eggs, not sure why it should be made harder by a limited number each hour.

I still really don’t think finding older holidays would be a big issue. They’ll be dropping for a full seven days, after all. Some of the oldest might be a little harder to find, for the first year or two while people catch up, but after that I just can’t see it being horridly difficult to do.

That being said, I am not against some of the proposed alternatives—I just don’t think doing such unusual circumstance stuff is needed. TJ shot down allowing unfreeze for just old holidays, after all, so I can’t see him making a weird one year exception for something like this either.*

Also not a big fan of a market-only idea when they’ll be /right there/ in the biomes. I still remember staring at all the old CB holidays that clogged up the AP last year at the end, unable to be taken. Yes, they were all taken eventually—but it took a VERY long time. You were watching the same codes sit for quite a while. And I imagine we’ll be seeing that in the Christmas / Valentine biomes fairly soon, which makes having to pay for them instead of just take them seem downright dumb. Now having them in the market ALONGSIDE the biome, sure! Makes it so anyone who feels they really can’t catch some particular old breed definitely can

* DISCLAIMER: TJ’s mind is his own and previous decisions made by TJ do not preclude different future decisions. Do not take more than 4 TJs in 24 hours. Do not take TJ with milk while Cirion is waning. Do not operate heavy machinery after taking TJ.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I still really don’t think finding older holidays would be a big issue. They’ll be dropping for a full seven days, after all. Some of the oldest might be a little harder to find, for the first year or two while people catch up, but after that I just can’t see it being horridly difficult to do.

That being said, I am not against some of the proposed alternatives—I just don’t think doing such unusual circumstance stuff is needed. TJ shot down allowing unfreeze for just old holidays, after all, so I can’t see him making a weird one year exception for something like this either.*

Also not a big fan of a market-only idea when they’ll be /right there/ in the biomes. I still remember staring at all the old CB holidays that clogged up the AP last year at the end, unable to be taken. Yes, they were all taken eventually—but it took a VERY long time. You were watching the same codes sit for quite a while. And I imagine we’ll be seeing that in the Christmas / Valentine biomes fairly soon, which makes having to pay for them instead of just take them seem downright dumb. Now having them in the market ALONGSIDE the biome, sure! Makes it so anyone who feels they really can’t catch some particular old breed definitely can

My thoughts, exactly. Also we all remember the days of suggesting ways to obtain older CB holidays before the holiday biomes, we had a bunch of different solutions and made the suggestion way more complicated than it needed to be. Now, everyone is happy with the simple solution of holiday biomes.

And if needed, again, we can Valentine's and Christmas breeds continuously flood for the first year's no-limits to help people out, I don't think that'd be too unreasonable to request.

4 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

* DISCLAIMER: TJ’s mind is his own and previous decisions made by TJ do not preclude different future decisions. Do not take more than 4 TJs in 24 hours. Do not take TJ with milk while Cirion is waning. Do not operate heavy machinery after taking TJ.

This is exactly my thoughts on the matter. Doing away with the limits on the old breeds would keep the holiday biome moving. I only need to catch one more holly so I imagine most people are in the same boat I am. I would hate to see all those lovely dragons sit there with few people being able to collect them. 

On 9/14/2017 at 3:12 PM, The Dragoness said:

I strongly disagree with lifting the limits. I would be okay with raising the limit to 4, but fully removing it? No. 

this. 

On 11/8/2018 at 1:52 AM, Dragon_Arbock said:

I mean, no one is making you get 8. The stress your own scroll goals cause you are not a good reason to limit others.

I'm not limiting anyone (you have confused me with TJ). I'm stating my opinion as a user :)

And removing scroll goals out of the way, I simply like the fact that Halloween is a hoarder holiday - for people to get as much as they can. And the other ones are about 'giving' I guess, with scroll limits in place. It makes Halloween special, and is a good compromise, in my opinon of course. Peace!

Edited by natli

2 hours ago, natli said:

I'm not limiting anyone (you have confused me with TJ). I'm stating my opinion as a user :)

And removing scroll goals out of the way, I simply like the fact that Halloween is a hoarder holiday - for people to get as much as they can. And the other ones are about 'giving' I guess, with scroll limits in place. It makes Halloween special, and is a good compromise, in my opinon of course. Peace!

The irony, though, is that Christmas and Valentines have long been the “greedy” holidays and Halloween the generous one.

I love sharing with people. During Halloween, I breed my CBs and lineages freely. But during Christmas / Valentine, when I only have 2 CBs instead of 8+... sorry, my own projects come first! Even lineages are stingier, because with so fewer CBs, there’s that much less lineaged stuff around.

Now getting the actual CBs is easier, sure. But considering both the above, and how easy it is to get CB Halloweens... I don’t think it’s worth it.

Limiting CB Christmas / Valentines hasn’t encouraged generosity, it’s encouraged people to keep things for themselves (understandably) and forced limits for the sake of sharing that don’t actually need to exist for everyone to get their fill.

40 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Limiting CB Christmas / Valentines hasn’t encouraged generosity, it’s encouraged people to keep things for themselves (understandably) and forced limits for the sake of sharing that don’t actually need to exist for everyone to get their fill.

I can't agree, actually. Leaving aside the people who think they should be able to keep ALL the eggs from their clutches,  there are loads of people who PM and say "I know you were working on xyz; here's one for you." AND with limits, the newer players have every chance to get their own CBs. Without limits - well, sure, I'd go collect a shedload more. Who  wouldn't. But the fact that we need others to help when building lineages using Christmas and Valentine dragons DOES encourage generosity.

I'm with ADP on that one. Less CBs really does affect how much I can be generous, even when I do want to be. Halloween I may breed things for free, Christmas/Valentines I may only be looking to breed for trades. That's not generosity- that's forced cooperation because we have no choice. There's also a lot less to actually go around when artificially restricting the pool of CBs.

The new players do just fine with catching CBs for halloween. Don't see why they can't do the same with Christmas and Valentines. I guess people just don't want to even put the effort in to catch anything.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I can't agree, actually. Leaving aside the people who think they should be able to keep ALL the eggs from their clutches,  there are loads of people who PM and say "I know you were working on xyz; here's one for you." AND with limits, the newer players have every chance to get their own CBs. Without limits - well, sure, I'd go collect a shedload more. Who  wouldn't. But the fact that we need others to help when building lineages using Christmas and Valentine dragons DOES encourage generosity.

Just because some people still gift doesn’t mean it’s less common, though. I’ve had considerably more difficulty finding the things I need during the other two Holidays than Halloween. It’s also frustrating to be forced to rely on people when people have long been told “well, if someone deadlines your 5g Holly x Winter line on you—oh well, tough luck!” And as far as CBs go, again—I’ve watched Halloween CBs sit for entire rotations after the early day rush. The lack of limits does not make them excruciating to get.

Like I can see the points people are making, but I feel the benefits of the current arrangement are overstated and the negative possibilities of a change overblown. Halloween is incredible, filled with sharing, easy to get eggs, people can meet all their scroll goals, you don’t have to rely on others for things if you don’t want to... I just see no real good reason not to continue that winning formula on the other holidays. The wistful feeling of “well, they’re sharing holidays, so it feels wrong” is strongly beaten in my eyes by the reality of how pleasant and generous Halloween is.

How many new lineages do you START at Christmas and Valentines ? Once your own CBs are in there, you can't use them again (unless you are into inbreds) so...

And I was short on old CBs, and it WASN'T that easy, I assure you.

1 minute ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Just because some people still gift doesn’t mean it’s less common, though. I’ve had considerably more difficulty finding the things I need during the other two Holidays than Halloween. It’s also frustrating to be forced to rely on people when people have long been told “well, if someone deadlines your 5g Holly x Winter line on you—oh well, tough luck!” And as far as CBs go, again—I’ve watched Halloween CBs sit for entire rotations after the early day rush. The lack of limits does not make them excruciating to get.

Like I can see the points people are making, but I feel the benefits of the current arrangement are overstated and the negative possibilities of a change overblown. Halloween is incredible, filled with sharing, easy to get eggs, people can meet all their scroll goals, you don’t have to rely on others for things if you don’t want to... I just see no real good reason not to continue that winning formula on the other holidays. The wistful feeling of “well, they’re sharing holidays, so it feels wrong” is strongly beaten in my eyes by the reality of how pleasant and generous Halloween is.

I saw loads of Christmas and Valentine ones sit for ages, too. But - not the ones people wanted !

I'd only support upping it to 4. And I'm not that fussed about it anyway

Edited by Fuzzbucket

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I saw loads of Christmas and Valentine ones sit for ages, too. But - not the ones people wanted !

The new ones sit for ages on those holidays because nobody can pick them up. That's another problem with the limits.

Honestly I didn't even pick up that many CBs this halloween, just 4 marrows- but they didn't take long to catch at all. The demand would sort itself out in a year or two the same as it has for halloween.

Now, I would say to raise the limit by 2 each year for christmas and valentines purely because the demand will be higher for something who's supply has always been lower, but DC created that problem on its own. I'd just as easily let people fight it out since I have two hollies and do not want any more as I find their sprite rather unattractive.

WELL - AGES ago TJ said nothing that involved Math - and that does, so I can't say I see this one as likely.....

So, as stated on the previous page, being a selfish person, I felt like keeping the limit would help me (and other people missing old breeds, either because they are newbies or because they missed the releases) catch up with everyone. I also stated that I understood the need for more CBs and that I would probably change my mind once I had all the CBs I'm missing. 

But honestly, after reading some of your arguments I think I feel more inclined towards removing the limits too. 🤔 It is true that if there's no one to pick them (because they can't), unwanted eggs will sit forever in the cave... even more than this Halloween.  Which doesn't really help to pick up the breeds we are actually missing. 

And ADP makes a good point:

6 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I won't deny there's some extremely generous people out there, but it is true that when you have very limited resources and have plans for your CB, you can't be as generous as you'd like. Obviously, it's a choice. Either work on your lineages, or give some people what they need. But with such a limited breeding time and the fake breeding cooldown, working on Christmas/Valentine lineages is painful. You're less inclined to breeding for others during holiday breeding time because you have to fulfill your own plans.

While during Halloween, I had so many CBs for some breeds that I don't need all of them, even with all the different lineage plans I have! All the CBs I didn't use were bred to give away to the AP or specific people. So I was actually way more generous than I plan to be this Christmas 😅

Finally, I have to admit that I didn't have that hard a time to pick up the few Halloween CBs I needed. Granted, I don't know how it would be if we lifted limits for Christmas and I can't guess from last year because I totally missed breeding week (it's a miracle I remembered to get my eggs on the 25th tbh). So I don't know how hard Hollies were to get, if other breeds sat for a long time or not... But thinking about it, yeah, people still would end up scroll-locked, if not breed-locked, so after the first day madness things would calm down. 

So yeah... I guess I'm in favor of lifting the limit now. 

But I totally support the idea of having continuous drop during the holidays so we'd never have an empty biome.  :P