angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

I see the solution like this:

*limits raised from 2 to 4 caveborn eggs (egg limit we all have started with upon joining DC)

*old holiday eggs dropping in the cave a week before the new release (= breeding week)

It seems pretty simple as:

*the limit of 4 CBs per person is a rather small bump, but it seems fair for both old and new players - everyone gets the same number of x breed regardless from the trophy; it also reduces the possibility of heartbreaks during the breeding, the mate can be easier to replace

*the timing defined to reduce the players' pre-holiday stress: assuming you have at least 8 Reds active and start collecting on the very first day of the week, you will be able to get 8 CBs of past holidays PLUS the new release. You should have 12 or fewer dragons growing, if I'm not mistaken; that's a lot for a beginner, assuming you prepare for the event.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I see it work. Even if we still stick to 2CBs per person, the 'week before' drops will still be convenient, as we can grab the things we don't have yet AND possibly replace the mates that refused (requires killing/releasing the stubborn dragon we own first).

I feel like I'm talking nonsense already, either way, support for bringing the old holidays back in the cave somehow!

I would also much rather see the return of previous CB Holidays over the limits. Especially if it keeps 2g Hollies from going extinct

48 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I would also much rather see the return of previous CB Holidays over the limits. Especially if it keeps 2g Hollies from going extinct

Chiming in to agree.

If I have to choose between raised limits and the return of old CB holidays I too prefer the return of CB old holidays. I like the idea of raised limits but if we can have only one or the other I think re-introducing the old holidays is more important.

21 minutes ago, Fiona said:

If I have to choose between raised limits and the return of old CB holidays I too prefer the return of CB old holidays. I like the idea of raised limits but if we can have only one or the other I think re-introducing the old holidays is more important.

You said it so well, I'm with you!

I'd have to chime in for release of old holidays.   Before too much longer CB yulebucks and 09 valentines will become a threatened species, and others will follow

Well, like everyone else I would rather see old holidays return. 

However, I don't think the two need to be mutually exclusive. Even if the goal is to keep down stress, a raised limit of 4 is something that literally every player, just joined or years old, can enjoy without any additional trouble. Many posts have been made showing Christmas / Valentine eggs sitting, untaken, because everyone is locked. A very small bump to 4 wouldn't hurt that.

And to go beyond that... if something like the shop is introduced, it would be nice if holidays could be available there that don't apply to the limits. Because I'll be honest, I want old holidays to return for OTHER people, but the only ones I'm missing are CB hollies, of which I already have a couple 2gs. So while I'd be happy to see them brought back for others, it does very little to reward older players like me. Obviously gaining new players is vital for a game's continuing support, but so, too, is keeping around us old farts. Adding a shop or some other out of season way for vets to get more old holidays without adding more holiday stress would be very, very appreciated. As others have mentioned, the current minimal limit is not great for lineage making, especially with refusals... even more so when you consider the Aegises, who have an amazing mechanic, but one that is VERY frustrating when they're once-a-year, two-CBs-only-ever, people changing them on a whim in the middle of your 5g checker lineage sorts of creatures. Even a mild boost to 4 won't help much with that.

I wholeheartedly agree with ADP, couldn't have said it any better myself. Especially Aegises seem to be rather problematic, but there's also the issue of Solstices and Mistletoes, not to mention hollies. Because there're either two different sprites, or two different genders available.

Also, making a 2-CB-only limit will undoubtedly result in older players releasing their old CB holidays in favor of getting new ones for lineage purposes (Aegises especially).

And, somehow, I have to bring up the not-so-new idea of limiting CBs to two growing things per scroll and breed. Maybe reduce the "growing things limit" to 1 per scroll and breed once the initial release is over or someone already has two CBs of that breed. (Which, of course, means that every player can get two CBs of each breed per year, maybe even four if they catch-incubate-insta-hatch-raise at a fast rate - at least in theory. Of course, overall scroll limits will stop people from going to extremes...) Even more limiting would be a rule like "2 growing CBs per holiday" (across all breeds of that holiday event) that does not apply to the new release. Because, let's be frank, we old farts like to add to our collections, too. And any limit is better than a straight "no can do".

Addressing TJ's concerns, I believe that upping the initial relase's limits to 4 (just look at the unmoving holiday-full bimes... and CB holiday walls...) and (/or at least) adding either limitless via a shop (as ADP suggested) or resetting the CB limits every year (e.g. on Dec 1st every year) so active players (who would be there for each holidays) can have up to 2 CBs per past breed per year (this would keep the rewarding nature CBs have had so far, would add sth for oldest users who already have their 2CBs per breed, AND would keep the low executable demand while not excluding newbies and those who missed a holiday from getting them and also upping their numbers in the future), even all 3 together should still keep things simple to grab and not any more stressful - if not less stressful because of encouraged gifting especially the limits-reset and maybw out-of-limits shop would cause. Assumed I could get more than 5 CBs overtime (as this is the very number I can think of maybe using for my scroll), I'd definitely be gifting away all I'd grab above that number, seing others' mentions of gifting, I believe many others would join gifting - especially after meeting their personal goals or when being close to. Eat the cake and have it, I believe...

Well TJ, I'd say that upped limits and olds released are only mutually exclusive if you want to make them that way. Without knowing which of the (many!!!!!) suggestions for release of old CB Holidays you are thinking of, there's no way for us users to have any real feel for how it'd play out. 

Having said that, I too favor getting the olders back into circulation over upped limits, if we can only have one. But having said that, getting the *old* dragons back into circulation will do nothing to help further the apparent intent of the limits: generosity. At the end of the day, Halloween is a very generous time on DC. But Christmas and Valentines, most people turn stingy. Its because of the relative availability. Its easy to be generous when doing so won't cost you your own hoped for plans. 

Cheers!
C4. 

On 9/18/2017 at 5:13 AM, Dalek Raptor said:

Maybe both ideas could be merged into one, new holidays could only keep their limit for their release, every year after that they could be caught like normal, this would (partially) keep up the whole supply meeting demand thing that the limit was supposed to enforce while also letting new blood enter the game.

On 9/18/2017 at 3:48 AM, TJ09 said:

There is nothing inherently mutually exclusive about the two, no, which is why I felt it important to chime in that yes, it is by my decree that I am indeed only willing to add one or the other.

If old Holiday CBs were to come back, it would be for the intended purpose of allowing "newer" players (or really, anyone who missed the original releases) to grab them. I could certainly just leave things without limits and then everyone could grab them (new or old), but the motive is better served by keeping demand (comparatively) low and ensuring that people who missed out in previous years have an easier time grabbing the limited eggs.

I generally try to be the source of as little stress around the various holidays as possible.  -TJ

Then why not just drop the old ones the after the new release? I'm normally in favor of a level of difficulty but with holidays your time is limited and rarity isn't a factor in the same way is it with normal dragons.

That way the stress isn't as bad, it starts with the AP, then the new release, and then the old ones at the end, all the different forms of stress are self contained.

Edited by blockEdragon

I'm with many others here in saying... if I have to choose, old holidays returning in CB form is the choice I'd make over raising the limits.

Raising the limits is nice. Being able to make up for: a ) freezing CBs because I thought I'd never get more than 2 sprites, and b ) going on a multiple-year hiatus, is nicer.

Edited by Azure

Actually, if you'd be willing to release a frozen CB holiday, you should be able to pick up a new one. After all, there'd be only one on your scroll, after all. And you also don't need raised limits to make up for a hiatus and missed holidays, since the CB limits apply to each breed separately - or should, at least.

Maybe we could come up with a compromise, though?

Right now, we have one week of breeding, which ends with the actual new holiday release (which, in turn, lasts for up to 3 days). After that, we could have 3 days of holiday re-releases. Scroll limits of 2 CB per breed and scroll could apply for the first 48 hours, but the last 24 hours could be a free for all. Which means that nobody can catch more than 8 overall on that day anyway. That's 8 eggs out of (soon) 10 available breeds.

18 minutes ago, olympe said:

Actually, if you'd be willing to release a frozen CB holiday, you should be able to pick up a new one. After all, there'd be only one on your scroll, after all. And you also don't need raised limits to make up for a hiatus and missed holidays, since the CB limits apply to each breed separately - or should, at least.

Indeed, that's what I'm saying in my post. However, I am keeping TJ's executive decision in mind. Both would be nice, but for as long as they are deemed to be mutually exclusive for whatever reason, CB holidays returning = better of the two.

Now, I'm not saying I'm against raising the limits. I'd love to have my cake and eat it too, and personally don't think raising the CB limit to 4 would change too much. But if TJ is only willing to implement one, CB holidays coming back would be the one I choose. :)

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with that - even though I want to be selfish and clamor for the other one. (There's only four kinds of CB holidays I don't have - five if you count vamps.) :blush: Sorry about that.

Wouldn't it be better to raise the limit to 4 CB's per person now that we get re-releases? This wouldn't be a very bad thing, would it?

Well we don't know for sure yet if we will get re-releases of Christmas and Valentine dragons, and we probably won't know for sure until those holidays come (I doubt TJ would want to give that away). But I've always supported raising the CB-holiday limit a bit, so yeah, this would be nice.

The limits aren't even in effect anymore.  They are taken down after the holiday, every year.  That's the only reason you can pick up bred ones the next year.  Because the cave has never distinguished between CB and bred.  As shown here: https://dragcave.net/help/limits there is no Christmas or Valentines on that list.  Which means IF we get old Christmas/Valentines drops there will either be no limits just like Halloween OR new coding will have to be put into the site. 

So maybe, just maybe, we should wait and see whether or not were even going to get them and how before we start asking for changes. 

I really hope there are limits in place if old Christmases and Valentines are released in the cave. Hunting in the Halloween biome has been absolute madness for most people. That shouldn't apply to Christmas and Valentine's Day because they've always been more relaxed holidays on DC, whereas Halloween is all about greediness. Players shouldn't have to choose between spending time with family and catching their CBs.

However, if we do get a special biome for every Holiday, I think I'm part of the minority who's not all for raising the limit. I'm not against it, but I'm not fully supporting it either. One of the big reasons for raising the limit was to make producing more 2Gs easier, but everyone will have CB Val '09s and other old breeds, so it won't be as much of an issue. Maybe I'm biased though, since I have so many missed years of CBs to catch up on XD

Edited by The Dragoness

I'm okay with raising the limit to 4 regardless, but I really hope it stays in some form.

Like The Dragoness pointed out, Halloween has been crazy. 

Having a limit of 4 will also sort of make things strategic with the 8 egg limit. Instead of, like halloween, giving everyone a chance to get every year they've missed at once, it'll maybe give people something to work for for multiple years, picking up their scroll goals of Christmas/Val dragons. Long-term goals are important. As much as I love the Halloween re-release, I feel with no limit's it's a little too easy.

I recall TJ saying it was either re-releases or raised limits, not both, but I don't have time to comb through his posts to try and find it.

A limit of 4 CBs would be perfect if we can't have unlimited, since that would give everyone so much more freedom to breed and stop gifting/trading from being as much of a sacrifice, but if its a choice between the two re-releases wins every time for me.

Please no unlimited Christmas/Valentines. Raise the limits to 4 CBs if you must, but no unlimited.

I agree with raise CB christmas/valentine limits to 4 and re-release past CB christmas/valentine.

If this come true, we can have CB male Mistletoes, Blue winged solstices, Aegis(2 true form, 2 enraged form). And maybe able to get CB holy, Yulbuck, 09 Val..

Re-releasing past CB holidays were my one of daydreams XD

Edited by Kyath The Dream Worker

Without limits it would be madness like this halloween. Though a simple solution would be to place a temporary limit during the release of them (if they re release them) and have that limit set to 4 caveborns. I understand halloweens being collectable in that you can grab as much as you want kinda like candy, but the other holidays I feel should still have a limit cave born wise. (I would love love love to get my scroll goals if they re released em)