angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

Disagree with removing limits, agree with upping them to 4. I got so mad I killed one of my shimmers because he refused both my Snow Angels, therefore making him utterly useless on my scroll aside from leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Tried to make him a zombie but well he didn't cooperate to the very end. Serves him right.

Four because that's the maximum a brand new user can get. Christmas and Valentines are about sharing, and I personally think that keeping them limited to the maximum a brand new user can get is the most "sharing".

I think increasing from 2 would be good for the a fore stated reasons: sharing and refusals. I was asked to trade a Radiant Angel from Gold Winged Snow Angel. Had I (and everyone else) had 4 Radiant Angels, I'd have said "yes" because I could be fairly sure of getting what I needed in trade. Since I only have 2... I had to keep both breedings for myself.

As for weeks... There is just 1 week of Valentine breedings out of 52 weeks in a year, ie, there is just ONE week that a Valentine dragon can breed in. Same for all the Christmas dragons: they breed true for 1 year out of 52.

And right now with the 3 day drop, a gold scroll user could with no trading get 14 new release eggs. As I think keeping the extended drop time is very important, and letting everyone get a second full load would mean that the demand in the cave never slows down... I think its important to have some sort of limit. So since there would need to be a limit, I think 4 (the maximum a brand new user can get) would be the best one.

Cheers!

C4.

As others have stated as well, the 3 day drops would most likely have to be shortened in case of 'unlimited' releases - to 2 days at least, I think, because of Incubate. I personally would have no problem with this considering I do not celebrate Valentine, Halloween and Christmas (and I am fairly sure there are other people who don't). Halloweenies drop only for 1 day in comparison.

I cannot speak for how and how many Americans celebrate each holiday, however. Still, I do not find considering all people's private plans around the globe very reasonable. No matter what you plan I think it's safe to say that there will be at least one person on this earth who won't make it to any release.

In terms of "4 because that's the maxium a brand new user can get, sharing": brand new users are always limited to 4 eggs slots no matter when they join. I do not understand why we should consider the egg slots of brand new users, how is this related? Using the same way of thinking I could argue that we have to limit everybody to 4 new eggs in case of normal releases, because brand new users have only 4 egg slots?

In my opinion I think it would be more appropriate to let everybody have a full fill of Christmas/Valentine eggs in regard to what scroll trophy they have => different players, different scroll goals, different amount of dragons on scroll.

"Hoarding" is also not a problem, considering we already can grab as many bred holidays we want from the AP. I know it can be frustrating to see that other people have "more" or "valueable" stuff. But I personally would not appreciate it if other people told me that I cannot trade for 100 new holiday dragons or catch 500 Golds from the cave if I want.

Ratios and the other technical stuff in the background? See Halloween. It seems to work?

As with all other suggestions, I have think we have to agree to disagree - like usual xd.png

PS: regarding the holiday breeding weeks...I see, I think I misread!

I wouldn't mind the limits being removed, but even just upping the limit to 4 would help a ton with the frustration of refusals.

Four because that's the maximum a brand new user can get. Christmas and Valentines are about sharing, and I personally think that keeping them limited to the maximum a brand new user can get is the most "sharing".

I like this logic. I think it follows that the drop would need to be extended to 4d or the timing would have to be adjusted, though - right now, old-holiday breeding and new-holiday drops overlap for a full day, meaning a new player without enough incubates would have to pick and choose between old holidays and new releases. Having old-holiday breeding end exactly as new holidays drop should pretty much fix that.

Tentative support for increasing the limit to 4. No support for unlimited grabbing. (I am by no means sold on this, and would probably vote no in general... except that, as someone else noted, Christmas was hilariously slow. I caught my eggs on the second day of the release and there were all of about two people in the same biome with me. I'd be okay with people getting to enjoy those extra eggs.)

Yes, yes I'm definitely liking four as the number for the various reasons posted: A - That's how many a new person could grab (like I said earlier, I really like that holidays are basically the only time ALL users are on a level playing field, and I'd like to keep it that way), B - CB sprite collectors can happily get their two freezes the first year without sacrificing an adult spot, C - breeders get additional "refusal insurance" and can potentially breed up to 4 generations of whatever line they're working on entirely on their own scroll.

Seems like a win all around without causing any trouble to the existing holiday mechanic... Even if everyone can get double the number they can now, I don't think they would be any harder to grab from the cave. Especially if you're willing to wait to the second or third day. This year I waited until the third day of the Christmas drop to grab my eggs and there was literally nobody else in the cave.

I think that if these was implemented, I'd like to see two things

-A limit because multi scrollers (I believe lifting it to 3 or 4 would be good.)

-Advance Notice!

I know that last one seemed like it was yelling, but think about all the Solstice trouble we had at Christmas. Do we want to go through that again? I plan my eggs so that I have 2 spots open on V-Day. But this would mess with my plan if it was suddenly announced.

One way to keep it unlimited, with 3 day-drop and a way that players dont get more than 10 eggs is with 2 conditions: the CB holiday eggs cannot be available for incubate and cant be tradable or abandonable (?) (if you want to get rid of the eggs you would have to kill them). This would make a player to get from 0 to 7 CB holiday eggs, depending on availability of scroll and trophy. Of course, The cons of this are that its weird that something you could do before (incubate CB holiday eggs), now you cant; also it will force players to keep with all the holiday eggs they catched for min 3 whole days (unless incubate just doesnt work on CB holiday eggs during the 3 day period, after that time you can incubate them but then again it doesnt make sense :/); and finally, it will still be limited to a max of 7 (if you have gold trophy), so it is not unlimited as is :/. The pros are that you can easily get a bunch of CB holidays and still not take too many; Valentine and Christmas dragons will be more freely to have different genders and, maybe, dimorphism, which leds to another pro: more diversity on lineages without adding too much difficulty (just using influence will do just fine, and it only has a week of cooldown, so you dont have to plan too much ahead), also it will not break existing lineages.

The paragraph above is just an idea on how to make the "unlimited" catching non-exploitable by multi-account and other means. Also, something that can be added to the idea is that during the week of every holiday you can get CBs of the past holiday dragons (for example, right now in the cave could be dropping arsani, heartseeker, rosebud... dragons, they all will be droppping like a common or uncommon breed, depending on ratios of course) and this one may or may not be available for incubate.

Still, I support for both, upping the limit to 4 and unlimited (prefer the last, but still happy with the first).

Edited by pederino

I have a CB Sweetling because a kindhearted soul gifted me one after I was unable to be online that Valentine's day (which was the only day they dropped that year).

I am against anything that bans holiday dragons from trades or gifts, because in my mind that goes against the Valentines and Christmas holidays, by disallowing gifts.

Yes, I know that the breeds now drop for longer, so those unable to be online on the day of the holiday can still obtain the dragons. I am still against limiting trades and gifting.

The limit of 4 sounds good to me, and I'd much prefer that to placing limits on the ability to gift.

I have a CB Sweetling because a kindhearted soul gifted me one after I was unable to be online that Valentine's day (which was the only day they dropped that year).

I am against anything that bans holiday dragons from trades or gifts, because in my mind that goes against the Valentines and Christmas holidays, by disallowing gifts.

Yes, I know that the breeds now drop for longer, so those unable to be online on the day of the holiday can still obtain the dragons. I am still against limiting trades and gifting.

The limit of 4 sounds good to me, and I'd much prefer that to placing limits on the ability to gift.

Yes, I thought so too, it was just an idea to keep them unlimited in some way but at the same time limit users to abuse that.

First, I really like the monogender of the Christmas and Valentine's dragons. Adds a bit more to their uniqueness, and I appreciate not having to make sure I influence them. One less thing to worry about when caught up with holiday madness.

I also really don't like anything that limits the ability to hatch eggs faster. I often have other things that I want to do, so the ability to move the holidays through quickly is a tremendous plus.

The biggest issue I have with that suggestion however is the inability to abandon eggs. Part of the reason for the idea of the increase was to promote gifting since you have more to work with. Seems counter productive to remove that ability at the start. A lot of people catch to gift to others before finally gathering their own dragons. It's that giving spirit that makes the community special, and I oppose anything that takes that away.

Edited by Sir Barton

Yes, I know that the breeds now drop for longer, so those unable to be online on the day of the holiday can still obtain the dragons.  I am still against limiting trades and gifting.

Sir Barton:

First, I really like the monogender of the Christmas and Valentine's dragons. Ads a bit more to their uniqueness, and I appreciate not having to make sure I influence them. One less thing to worry about when caught up with holiday madness.

I also really don't like anything that limits the ability to hatch eggs faster. I often have other things that I want to do, so the ability to move the holidays through quickly is a tremendous plus.

The biggest issue I have with that suggestion however is the inability to abandon eggs. Part of the reason for the idea of the increase was to promote gifting since you have more to work with. Seems counter productive to remove that ability at the start. A lot of people catch to gift to others before finally gathering their own dragons. It's that giving spirit that makes the community special, and I oppose anything that takes that away.

Thanks to both of the above for speaking for me, lol.

Even though I disagree on the monogender, I don't feel like campaigning for it. Besides, this isn't the right place for it anyway.

I also disagree with the idea to make CB holidays untradeable. I've traded and gifted away holidays myself, for varying reasons (hurricane Sandy, among others). In essence, it looks like we need to come up with a compromise between "no limits" and "three-day drops". Personally, I'd favor three day drops to benefit people who cannot get online on that one day the drop happens, so "no limits" isn't an option I like. Increased limits, might just be the necessary compromise.

In any case, I'd still prefer to keep things the way they are. smile.gif

First, I really like the monogender of the Christmas and Valentine's dragons. Adds a bit more to their uniqueness, and I appreciate not having to make sure I influence them. One less thing to worry about when caught up with holiday madness.

Agree. I catch for a friend with terrible RA, for instance. There is no way she can even use a keyboard some days.

And ABSOLUTELY no to no incubating. After all - as they can't breed the year you get them and as they only drop for 3 days - you couldn't get over the limit anyway - why would that help anything at all. (I remain personally wedded to the current limit, but in case this happens, I have a great need to say what I think when something comes up !)

I think that if these was implemented, I'd like to see two things

-A limit because multi scrollers (I believe lifting it to 3 or 4 would be good.)

-Advance Notice!

I know that last one seemed like it was yelling, but think about all the Solstice trouble we had at Christmas. Do we want to go through that again? I plan my eggs so that I have 2 spots open on V-Day. But this would mess with my plan if it was suddenly announced.

And a certain infamous monthly release.

I strongly agree with the need for advanced notice, so at this moment I think it's safe to say that it's too late for this Valentine (2015). This, of course, doesn't rule out the discussion on the matter for future Valentine and Christmas releases.

However, limiting for the pure sake of discouraging multiscroller makes little sense to me, as it is against the site ToS and a bannable offense anyway.

Besides, it really isn't like it is going to be any different from Halloween on this regard.

Even though I disagree on the monogender, I don't feel like campaigning for it. Besides, this isn't the right place for it anyway.

I also disagree with the idea to make CB holidays untradeable. I've traded and gifted away holidays myself, for varying reasons (hurricane Sandy, among others). In essence, it looks like we need to come up with a compromise between "no limits" and "three-day drops". Personally, I'd favor three day drops to benefit people who cannot get online on that one day the drop happens, so "no limits" isn't an option I like. Increased limits, might just be the necessary compromise.

In any case, I'd still prefer to keep things the way they are. smile.gif

Well, I really would not mind if things stayed as they are. Going from limit to another limit + keeping one gender doesn't make much sense to me, though, especially because we have this Halloween thing going on. That's like you're eating 4 cakes only while it's "all you can eat". Just because.

Little off-topic but, in my little perfect world there would be no limits, both genders, same drop time for all "holidays". And while we're at it let's throw away Valentine, Halloween and Christmas & have unique DC holidays.

Well, while it probably doesn't really mean much anymore, Halloween is meant to be different since it's a "Give me. Give me. Give me." egocentric holiday, while Christmas and Valentine's are about putting others first.

We do still give a great deal during Halloween, but the folks with fifty or more CBs of the last few Halloween breeds stands as an example that the "more candy" mentality is still alive and well. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but I would rather not have it ooze over into the "giving" holidays. Hence why I would prefer to have the limits remain or be given a slight increase to four of the new holiday releases.

Well, while it probably doesn't really mean much anymore, Halloween is meant to be different since it's a "Give me. Give me. Give me." egocentric holiday, while Christmas and Valentine's are about putting others first.

We do still give a great deal during Halloween, but the folks with fifty or more CBs of the last few Halloween breeds stands as an example that the "more candy" mentality is still alive and well. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but I would rather not have it ooze over into the "giving" holidays. Hence why I would prefer to have the limits remain or be given a slight increase to four of the new holiday releases.

See, the thing is: I do not celebrate these holidays. No offense, but talk about candies and "giving" - or if you prefer, birth of Jesus Christ - as much you want, it does not necessarily apply or appeal to me and others => to me, it's all about the limited dragons/pixels in a game.

While I can see that side of the argument for sure, as per my first post, I actually want this in part so I can gift more. I breed my CB Halloweens on request all the time because I have enough of them that I can both help other people AND work on my own lineages. With only two CBs, though (or less, because, again, I froze back when we had the only-2-ever limit OTL), I can't breed for other people without sacrificing my own lineage plans for the year in most cases. And as much as I like helping, my own dragon collecting comes first. ;;

This'll get better at the lineaged level (I'll move to higher gens and have no qualms gifting lower ones that I've already collected Holidays from), but a lot of the requests I see are for 2gs and they're things I CAN do and WOULD do but, again, not at the expense of my own plans. sad.gif

Edit: LE TYPO

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

While I'd much prefer an increase to four eggs over unlimited, I want to make it clear that I do not support removing the ability to incubate or trade dragons at the expense of having an unlimited catching ability.

See, the thing is: I do not celebrate these holidays. No offense, but talk about candies and "giving" - or if you prefer, birth of Jesus Christ - as much you want, it does not necessarily apply or appeal to me and others => to me, it's all about the limited dragons/pixels in a game.

I don't believe I said anything about any religious aspect to the holidays. I believe DC's holidays actually shun that. That's why there are no Easter dragons. In fact Christmas and Halloween are pagan holidays so.... Valentine's is based on some smuck who married Roman soldiers against the emperor's law. *shrugs* Frankly, I would like to see some other holidays represented like St George's Day since I can't think of a better holiday to have a dragon release.

I don't celebrate Valentine's day, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the giving aspect involved. If you complete remove the limits, these "special" dragons might as well be just a normal release. At least then they would breed year round. I find the once a year breeding schedule much more of a lineage issue than limited CB's. ...not that I care to change that either. I think it's good to have some dragons that function differently. It creates unique challenges.

If you are just focused on collecting the dragons, two should be fine to start. You can collect an unlimited number the following year.

ADP, I do understand your stance. That's why I wouldn't mind a slight increase in the number of CBs we can collect. I just don't see why anyone would need dozens, and I do fear that the nonforum goers may find themselves at a catching disadvantage if limits are lifted completely.

I have friends who aren't on the forum and they have had trouble catching holidays. Some only have them because I gifted the eggs to them. I may be overly concerned, but I can't help it.

Edited by Sir Barton

I don't believe I said anything about any religious aspect to the holidays. I believe DC's holidays actually shun that. That's why there are no Easter dragons. In fact Christmas and Halloween are pagan holidays so.... Valentine's is based on some smuck who married Roman soldiers against the emperor's law. *shrugs* Frankly, I would like to see some other holidays represented like St George's Day since I can't think of a better holiday to have a dragon release.

I don't celebrate Valentine's day, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the giving aspect involved. If you complete remove the limits, these "special" dragons might as well be just a normal release. At least then they would breed year round. I find the once a year breeding schedule much more of a lineage issue than limited CB's. ...not that I care to change that either. I think it's good to have some dragons that function differently. It creates unique challenges.

If you are just focused on collecting the dragons, two should be fine to start. You can collect an unlimited number the following year.

ADP, I do understand your stance. That's why I wouldn't mind a slight increase in the number of CBs we can collect. I just don't see why anyone would need dozens, and I do fear that the nonforum goers may find themselves at a catching disadvantage if limits are lifted completely.

I have friends who aren't on the forum and they have had trouble catching holidays. Some only have them because I gifted the eggs to them. I may be overly concerned, but I can't help it.

Christmas and valentines aren't pagan holidays...the holiday at midwinter is Yule, and the history behind our modern valentines is so muddy and convoluted as to make people want to poke sharp sticks in their eyes rather than deal with it. Valentines was a roman holiday, originally, back in the day, but is celebrated so widely, at least in the US, as to have become a secular holiday.

Halloween, now that is a pages holiday fairly well unadulterated from its original form.

I don't celebrate Valentine's day, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the giving aspect involved. If you complete remove the limits, these "special" dragons might as well be just a normal release. At least then they would breed year round. I find the once a year breeding schedule much more of a lineage issue than limited CB's.  ...not that I care to change that either. I think it's good to have some dragons that function differently. It creates unique challenges.

I will probably get a full storm of rotten tomatoes for writing and commenting this, but... The "this dragons are special because of its mechanics" argument to not support a possible change, is pretty much like the interesting or special numbers, an special number is just a number that is given a single or group of characteristics that makes it "special" or "unique", for example, the number 2 is the only number that multiplied or added to itself gives as result the same number: 4 (some even go with religious or historical events, as example: 666 and 911); the point is, any number can be special, and many can vary their uniqueness depending on culture or definition why is special (for example, in catholic or christian religion 666 is the mark of the beast and a very bad sign, but in most asian cultures the 6 is thought to be luckyness and wealthyness, and the more 6s the better, being 666 one of the most lucky numbers); but in reality they are not special at all, they are just numbers being given a characteristic. But here it is done to dragons: this dragon is special because how it breeds, how it is obtained, how it acts... And yes, they are special because of those and many reasons, but they keep being just dragons (and more specifically, pixels). So the characteristics you described about the Christmas/Valentines dragons being special for being mono-gender is really something that makes them special, but it also made special the purples, and bright pinks; but now that I think of it, bright pinks are mono-gender and discontinued, to keep them special its better they not get re-released*, even if the original spriter says its more than fine... this is just an example, of course. So, in my opinion, is kind of flawed as an argument.

Also, the holiday dragons are still going to be "special" even if they stop being monogender, because they are going to breed true only during one week of a whole year, and the CBs will still drop once, for 3 days.

From the day trading was available the forum goers were at an advantage over the non-forum goers, I mean, trading over any other media goes from difficult to almost impossible :/ (unless you have friends that play DC in real life). Also, now we have the "notice-board", and if you dont get to see a message that says "Valentines Day Timeline" is because you had a page view problem, you want to blind yourself or you dont play/arent playing too much (for any reason of course: dont like, getting tired of it, a job, a familiar issue, ...), and for those people it can be fixed by sending an automated email to every user every time TJ makes a new post in the News thread, I dont know if this is too difficult or possible, but is an option, I guess

Sorry if I seem rude or something.

*I am not saying they are going to be re-released, its just an example.

Edited by pederino

I don't celebrate Valentine's day, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the giving aspect involved.

And only because you appreciate some aspect of some holiday/event/whatever does not mean that others do it too. Thus, arguing that we should not have the limits for Christmas/Valentine dragons lifted because the meaning behind Halloween is different is just a matter of opinion and pushing personal beliefs/morals/feelings etc. onto other people. That was my point and what I tried to get across.

The meaning behind these holidays do not matter to me because I do not celebrate them. To me these are 3 events (A, B, C) with limited dragons - not more. Therefore I do not see why A + C should not be similar to B.

(Not going to discuss if Christmas is pagan or not, it's irrelevant for this suggestion.)

And only because you appreciate some aspect of some holiday/event/whatever does not mean that others do it too. Thus, arguing that we should not have the limits for Christmas/Valentine dragons lifted because the meaning behind Halloween is different is just a matter of opinion and pushing personal beliefs/morals/feelings etc. onto other people. That was my point and what I tried to get across.

The meaning behind these holidays do not matter to me because I do not celebrate them. To me these are 3 events (A, B, C) with limited dragons - not more. Therefore I do not see why A + C should not be similar to B.

(Not going to discuss if Christmas is pagan or not, it's irrelevant for this suggestion.)

They dont have meaning for me either. Doesn't mean that within DC world they don't have meaning. I've accepted the DC version of events and I'm happy to follow what it means within DC.