angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

I am really against the idea of unlimited CB from the point of view that the limit makes it much more relaxing just picking up your 2 and leaving again, and because if it becomes unlimited I feel the 3 day drop would have to be reduced so only one batch could be picked up. But a lift to 4 would be nice.

I'm also against unlimited CBs for Winter Holiday (of choice) and Valentine dragons. I wouldn't complain if the limit was raised to 4 CB, but I'm not going to complain if it isn't, either.

I'm against having the limit removed completely, mainly for the reason it was put in place in the first place. These 2 holidays are about love and giving, not greediness that is valued in the Trick or Treat aspect of Halloween. The 3 day drop and the limit were both set originally because of Christmas events, because it's a busy period and like many have already pointed out, we want to be spending that time with family or friends as opposed to gaming. The limit means there's enough to go around over the course of the 3 days, so that catching them is easy and allows for users to get back to their festivities sooner.

That said, I wouldn't mind the limit being raised to 4- considering that Halloween dragons are only released on 1 day with no limits, and there isn't too big of an issue with people not catching at least 1 or 2 eggs, I don't think the limit being increased to 4 on a 3-day drop will make that big of an impact in terms of people not being able to get an egg for themselves (which is part of the purpose of the limit).

I'm against having the limit removed completely, mainly for the reason it was put in place in the first place. These 2 holidays are about love and giving, not greediness that is valued in the Trick or Treat aspect of Halloween. The 3 day drop and the limit were both set originally because of Christmas events, because it's a busy period and like many have already pointed out, we want to be spending that time with family or friends as opposed to gaming. The limit means there's enough to go around over the course of the 3 days, so that catching them is easy and allows for users to get back to their festivities sooner.

That said, I wouldn't mind the limit being raised to 4- considering that Halloween dragons are only released on 1 day with no limits, and there isn't too big of an issue with people not catching at least 1 or 2 eggs, I don't think the limit being increased to 4 on a 3-day drop will make that big of an impact in terms of people not being able to get an egg for themselves (which is part of the purpose of the limit).

Even with unlimited, with a 2 day drop, I doubt anyone would have any trouble. With Halloween, once it gets later in the day the eggs don't move except at the 5 min drops.

And the thing with the whole "giving" argument is....

I give away 2nd gens all the the time for Halloween, the "greedy" Holiday.

I NEVER give away 2nd gen Christmas / Valentines eggs, the "giving" Holiday.

So.... Why the reversal of what "should" be?

Because of the extreme limit. In order to do the lineages I'd like, I have to trade... And keep my own. Hence why I act so much "greedier" with the so-called "giving" holidays than I do with the "greedy" holiday! Someone PM's me about trading for a 2nd gen Halloween..... I typically give it to them, no trade needed. Someone recently PM'ed about Solstices, and I had to tell them no, because with just 2.... I needed them for me.

Having said that, I think we'd find a few years down the road that unlimited with 2 day drops would result in far more "giving" than the current 3 day drop with 2 eggs only.

So ideally, I'd like to see the limit upped to 7 or 8, with the 3 day drops. Yes, the newest users would not be able to get all 8.... Unless they used the forums to incubate and such. But I honestly think that the benefit of an up of that level down the road would be far more beneficial to *all* users than the few extras the newest users couldn't get that first year.

But truth be told, any increase would be highly welcome.

Cheers!

C4.

While I would be very happy if the limit was increased or removed, purely to increase the breeding pool, I would not get more than 4 new Christmas. A lot of users breed until at the last moment and I'll be spending my time on the AP, trying to catch low gen past Christmas, so there is no way I would fill all my slots with new ones.

Edit: I'm assuming that I would not be the only one.

Edited by NotBambi

I'll probably be almost-locked with AP past-Christmas eggs as well, like usual, but I totally support a raise in limit. 2 is just... Especially if your playstyle includes collecting more then just a "pair". Or they are just oh-so pretty... 2 is just so restrictive. I'd be happy with a limit of 4, though.

C4's comment about greediness vs giving is probably the first argument for limit raising that I find compelling.

C4's comment about greediness vs giving is probably the first argument for limit raising that I find compelling.

It's an argument I made right in the OP when I made this, ahaha...

But yah, I cheerfully gift 2gs from even the rarest of my CB halloweens (pumpkin and marrow), while in stark contrast I only rarely gift 2gs from even the newest Valentine / Christmas releases. Not because I don't want to gift, clearly, but because with such a strict CB limit, unfortunately you really do have to choose between gifting or lineage making with those breeds.

Very very interesting C4, very well said.

I always thought that halloween was the giving season since we can have as many halloween CBs as we can handle we can also give as much as we can and Christmas is the greed season because since you only have 2 cbs, you are going to keep them to yourself. I know I am very generous with my halloween dragons but very strict about giving away my Christmas dragons due the limitations.

I totally agreed with C4.

I was going to say essentially what C4 did, but my tablet crashed and the post was lost. Basically I agree that the current setup encourages the opposite of the intended generosity. In my case, since I want my CBs to be caught on their holiday, or at least to have some like that, it's much easier for me to be generous with Halloween catch and abandon or hift than the other two holiday. Not to mention the already covered breeding issues.

Sorry if I'm dense but... considering that many of us will need slots for past Holidays and will not go crazy on getting new CBs, what would be the problem with no cap?

I'm chiming in with the others who support raising the limit to 4. I believe there should be a limit because Halloween is enough insanity for one year, but I'd like to have more than two to breed for myself and others. wink.gif

4 over a three-day period is reachable for anybody, even for newbies who may be busy on the day itself. And 4 is low enough that each one on your scroll is still special.

...what if the limit was raised to 8, and the drop was extended to four days?

I can't see any issue. Advantages?

I can't see any issue. Advantages?

Well, the main reason people are favoring 4 over 8 (or over unlimited, for that matter) is because newer players would feel like they got a few less presents than the rest of us if the limit was any higher than what they could obtain. While 8 has some ways around that (new players could have incubates to use to get a new batch in time, or ask for help incubating), it depends on users having forum access / red dragons. But a four day drop with a limit of 8 allows even the newest and most naive of users ample opportunity to get the max amount. biggrin.gif

'Course some people already find a three day drop too long and boring, but four days isn't too big a change from that...

Anddd if TJ doesn't go for it then even just a raise to 4 would be amazing.

I say either 4 or 8, but not 6.

I would love to have more holidays honestly. It would give me more of a chance in the future to gift bred eggs from cb holidays. That's the problem I see with 2, people are much less willing to just gift them out, and instead trade 2gs. With 4 however, I think there would be more of an increase of gifting out 2gs/breeding them to the ap.

I say either 4 or 8, but not 6.

I would love to have more holidays honestly. It would give me more of a chance in the future to gift bred eggs from cb holidays. That's the problem I see with 2, people are much less willing to just gift them out, and instead trade 2gs. With 4 however, I think there would be more of an increase of gifting out 2gs/breeding them to the ap.

Meh, you'll see a *slight* increase, but only slight. If you want to see a real increase, you'd have to bump it up to 8.

Most of those who want to keep their 2nd gens are building lineages and with 8 CBs of one gender, there's a LOT you can do. If I just had 4 CBs, I personally would still not gift, because I start more than 4 new lineages of most breeds each year.

Personally, I'm not overly-sympathetic to the newbies who can only get 4, when older players can get 8. I have never bemoaned only getting 3 CB Pumpkins, that first year. I was new, I was confused, and I consider myself lucky to have gotten those 3! (one of which I froze). Someone is always the new kid on the block.

Basically, from the newbie point of view:

- Limit of 8: newbies that year can get at least 4, newbies the NEXT year find it easy to find 2nd gens.

- Limit of 4: newbies that year can get at least 4, newbies the NEXT year have a hard time finding 2nd gens

- Limit of 2: newbies that year can get at least 2, everybody the next year has trouble finding 2nd gens

So the whole newbie equation boils down to: Which should be easier... Hunting breds, or the CBs? Personally, given how the higher limits also help the older users, I'd go with the 8 and 3 day drop, or 8 and 4 day drop. 4 day drop would be preferable but 3 day drop works perfectly fine.

And you know what? Even with 3 day drops.... A LOT of older users will fail to get their full 8, because to get them all with a Gold Trophy you need to get the first lot on Christmas Day.

Cheers!

C4.

PS: any increase would be a good increase I'd just think that 8 would result in much more of a "giving" atmosphere than 4 would.

Hmm, this is fairly compelling. I noticed right away when the limit for non-CB holidays was lifted, I was keeping my own bred 2nd gens to freeze. Even this year, I'm keeping the offspring from my 2 mistletoe dragons so I won't be able to gift any directly.

I guess in that case, would you say that multiclutches just wouldn't be enough to solve the problem at an increase of 4 per holiday? I mean, sure, I am keeping one of each but they also breed 2 or 3 to go to someone else hunting in the AP. Increasing to 4 should theoretically bump the numbers by double of what we already see, but it's hard to say.

I'm certainly a fan of testing the waters and seeing how it plays out.

After considering ADP's and C4's posts, I'm for raising the limit to (at least) 8 but keeping the drop to 3 days. Newbies can still get 8 if they work hard on getting the needed Reds and, after 3 days of drop, many of us are bored and would like to see something in the biomes that is not a CB Holiday.

Disclosure: this is my selfish point of view, probably I will be more than bored with new CB Holidays by the 3rd day.

Edited by NotBambi

I am in support of 4 since 8 wouldn't make sense. You're not able to hold 8 eggs at once and I feel a limit of 8 might tempt more multiscrollers. I feel this because they could just transfer an egg or two to their "side" scroll to hold onto until they get their other eggs hatched. Then they have 8 CB Holidays that they "obtained".

So while I am in support, I feel like the older Holidays need to be re-released, too. Because the new Holidays will consistently have a new standard that they will always have that older releases... ahem, the Holly, will always try to live up to. I remember 5 years ago, Hollys were incredibly sought-after because of how few there were. I am positive that it is no different, today.

Tl;dr... If scrolls allow for more CB Holidays, then it would also be a great time for re-releasing the older and harder to find CB Holidays.

I am in support of 4 since 8 wouldn't make sense. You're not able to hold 8 eggs at once and I feel a limit of 8 might tempt more multiscrollers. I feel this because they could just transfer an egg or two to their "side" scroll to hold onto until they get their other eggs hatched. Then they have 8 CB Holidays that they "obtained".

So while I am in support, I feel like the older Holidays need to be re-released, too. Because the new Holidays will consistently have a new standard that they will always have that older releases... ahem, the Holly, will always try to live up to. I remember 5 years ago, Hollys were incredibly sought-after because of how few there were. I am positive that it is no different, today.

Tl;dr... If scrolls allow for more CB Holidays, then it would also be a great time for re-releasing the older and harder to find CB Holidays.

May I disagree? Let's assume that we will be online on the 12/25 at 00:00 AM, I assume that many of us will. The Goldies (Gold trophy, not necessarily old players) could get 7 new Holidays then. With no trophy, 4. On 12/27 those eggs would be incubated and hatch. So the newbies could get 4 additional eggs, the Goldies could get one more. No cheat or multi-scroll required.

BTW I'm all for re-releasing older CB Holidays.

Edited by NotBambi

Multis are going to multi, no matter what the limit. In fact, the lower limits *encourages* multies for those who are *willing* to multi. Most of us are not willing to so break the rules.

So... Using multis as a reason to not do something strikes me as a poor argument, because multis will multi even if the limit is 2... they'll just leave the Holiday on the extra scroll.

Cheers!

C4.

I must admit that I react badly to "someone could abuse/cheat" reasoning to stop suggestions. Cheaters will cheat. Limits tend to increase cheating while punishing the ones that play by the rules.

While I'm hesitant about the increase to 8, I'm inclined to agree with C4 and NotBambi. Also, even with multiscrolling, it would probably be much easier to catch a multiscroller during the holidays transferring eight eggs than it would to catch one transferring two or four.

It seems like multiscrolling is often brought up as a counterargument towards any sort of increase of any kind whether it be limits or slots or something else and it has yet to be a significant enough detriment to how people play DC to be a seriously valid concern with this or any other suggestion.

Unrelated, but I would love for past holidays to be re-released especially if honorable mentions don't come back this year.

Edited by Jazeki