angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

Exactly. I was responding to someone who said why not 2 per year. But actually I don't particularly support this anyway...

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

Which is why I said keep the limits the first year, then do away with them.  Assuming the holiday biome remains a thing, people could still hoard more if they wanted, they would just have to wait a year.  And with egg limits I really don't see how that would hurt anyone because everyone is going to have different ones they want to collect.

On the one hand, this would increase competition for the more popular breeds and thus, especially disadvantage new players. On the other hand, we have so many holiday breeds for each holiday now that nobody will be able to raise them all in an unlimited fashion. I... just don't know. :(

1 hour ago, olympe said:

On the one hand, this would increase competition for the more popular breeds and thus, especially disadvantage new players. On the other hand, we have so many holiday breeds for each holiday now that nobody will be able to raise them all in an unlimited fashion. I... just don't know. :(

I do think this would disadvantage newer players who are trying to catch up with previous breeds. Right now they are the only ones who can pick up those breeds, but if limits are lifted they will have a much harder time getting what they need. I'm not sure that is a reason not to raise the limits, though. As you say there are so many breeds now for each holiday that no one can raise them all, so I would expect that while the competition would be much greater, there would still be a chance to get whichever one/s you want.

Edited by purplehaze

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

As you say there are so many breeds now for each holiday that no one can raise them all, so I would expect that while the competition would be much greater, there would still be a chance to get whichever one/s you want.

Especially Hollies, Val '09s, Marrows and the like. It's usually the most beloved breeds (or those in the highest demand for other reasons) that go the fastest.

14 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Adding things like 2 new per year, and so on. As I recall he said up the limit after the first year or nothing,.

Yes, but he also said that several years ago, and if I recall correctly this debate was regarding bred+CB dragon limit. I'm sure around that time he hadn't even thought of making a whole new biome for returned CB holidays, let alone a full week of them, and five years or whatever is a long time for minds to change. DC is very different from how it was back then.

If anything I'd expect him to still be waiting to see how this year turns out, given he was actively making ratio adjustments for the past years' holidays and he's also adopted a "wait and see" attitude re: market ratios.

Edited by Shadowdrake

True. But even so - some breeds are still very hard for new players to catch in the holiday biome. SO I remain not OK with unlimited.

I wouldn’t say unlimited, but I feel that 2 CB per year keeps it fair - people will reach their fill, and it’ll get easier later in the week.

I bet he will never run with 2 per year. But we shall see.

I'd love for the 2 CB holiday limit to be lifted completely, I agree that it encourages more sharing (and yes, of course more hoarding - but also more sharing) between users. And if we'd have a continuous flood or at least a HECK more eggs dropped, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to catch stuff, because of the limits on one's scroll. Plus every year, last year's dragon gets easier to catch.

I think 2 cbs per year is a good compromise as newer spriters won't get an advantage by say, having more Spriter alts than old valentines and Christmas spriters, and also because it's a nice steady way to let us get our fill of cb eggs without each egg getting snatched up (like omens did this year)

Definitely raising limits, maybe doing them slightly differently? Like you can only take two new cbs of this breed till they grow up- if traded for a day? So then people who are disadvantaged can grab, and there are effectively little limits. Just a random idea, but I’d definitely like 4 so you can do a decent sized checker without risks of losing dragons from killing and such.

Honestly, after seeing so many users having a hard time catching CB Omens (with many saying they weren't able to catch any at all), I am, for a totally selfish reason, glad that there's a limit to Christmas and Valentines CBs. I'm missing most of Christmas CBs for old breeds, for example (because I'm not really around for that particular holiday), and I'm glad I won't have that much competition. For newer users, that's even more breeds to catch up with.

On the other hand, it's hard to build checkers or other lineages when you only have 2 CBs, so once I catch up I'll probably want more, lol.

With the new Holiday biome, I personally like the compromise of  2 new CBs per year. If you caught 2 CB garlands in Christmas 2017, then you could grab 2 more CB garlands in 2018 in the biome. No more CB garlands until 2019, where you could grab 2 more. 

Sure, it makes planning for lineages longer than with Halloweens, but it's a good compromise and, because every user would be limited, the competition on older breeds wouldn't be make new users so disadvantaged. 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:00 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

I bet he will never run with 2 per year. But we shall see.

While I bet you're right, I still hope for it. Because, well, it's the best kind of compromise we have been able to come up with thus far.

I like the idea of being limited to 2 CBs per Christmas and Valentine's breed a year. Where you can try again the next year to get 2 more of them. :) It keeps the competition down, makes it feasible for the new players, and still stays in line with the old limit of only 2 CBs of the new dragon on each holiday for each person.

And allows for people to slowly make more lineages even if they have to have patience in order to do so.

How about one biome with limits enforced and one without any limits at all (like the Halloween biome). The people without CBs get their easy eggs, everyone else can compete as they please.

Basically: 

- If you have 2 CB ____s you can't grab any ____s from the limited biome, you can grab them from the free-for-all biome all ya like, happy hunting.

-Trading the limited biome egg is like trading limited breeds before the split, if they have 2+ CBs of the breed they can't accept eggs from the limited biome. (To prevent abuse for easy trades with people who can't catch more in the free-for-all biome)

25 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

How about one biome with limits enforced and one without any limits at all (like the Halloween biome). The people without CBs get their easy eggs, everyone else can compete as they please.

Basically: 

- If you have 2 CB ____s you can't grab any ____s from the limited biome, you can grab them from the free-for-all biome all ya like, happy hunting.

-Trading the limited biome egg is like trading limited breeds before the split, if they have 2+ CBs of the breed they can't accept eggs from the limited biome. (To prevent abuse for easy trades with people who can't catch more in the free-for-all biome)

Honestly, I kind of like this idea. I'm not sure how complicated coding the last part will be or whether a part of it already exists (I'm not entirely sure how breeding and abandoning works right now with the 2 CB limit?) 

The idea can be tweaked with making the easy biome eggs not tradeable at all (though there would have to be some sort of warning beforehand so you're not stuck with the egg) 

Or even more simple: put a time limit on the easy egg biome? So you're only allowed to get 1 egg per hour, or something like that? Of course, this would only work with a continuous flood because at the current rate of drops (judging by Halloween) a lot of people only get 1 egg per hour if not less. 

I don't know, I'm just brainstorming. This problem is harder than I thought. Though I do still think that simply having more eggs available to grab would solve a lot and balance the rarity of breeds like Omens and Hollies fastest?

Sounds ... somewhat complicated. Also definitely tougher to code than 2 per year of breed's existence.

15 hours ago, relaks said:

I'm missing most of Christmas CBs for old breeds, for example (because I'm not really around for that particular holiday), and I'm glad I won't have that much competition.

The other thing you won't have is people who clear out the ones you *don't* want XD The christmas and valentine biomes have been pretty stagnant last time, making it even tougher to get the only few eggs one still has room for.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I personally would rather welcome hard limit of 4 CBs for Valentines and Christmas dragons, than limit raising by 2 every year after the initial release. Sure I'd stop with 4 of each on my part if latter were to happen (because getting to 4th gen with checker is enough for me), but then some could feel pressured with keeping up the increasing amount of CBs they accumulate... then wonder when the heck they start with lineage building if they intend to use other holiday dragons for their checkers.

Because lets be realistic... if the limit will rise with 2 each year, someone who would want to catch all every year would eventually have too many to catch. And what about the pressure of not being able to catch one or two specific breed each year they prefer most? And most likely... everyone will go after the Hollies since they are hardest to catch, not to mention the walls of breeds you already have will sit there for longer while again. And there are still people who didn't even manage to catch one CB Holly last year... Do they have to try several years to finally get at least that first one if the limit increases by 2 each year?

I know I was lucky to be able to just sit infront of computer and refresh for many... many... many hours to get my 2 CB Hollies... but not everyone has that luxury.

That's everyone's own decision though. E.g. I stop collecting Halloween CBs at 4 pairs, while others grab as many as they can of a specific Halloween breed. Enabling a certain playstyle does NOT mean forcing everyone to do it!

17 hours ago, relaks said:

Honestly, after seeing so many users having a hard time catching CB Omens (with many saying they weren't able to catch any at all), I am, for a totally selfish reason, glad that there's a limit to Christmas and Valentines CBs. I'm missing most of Christmas CBs for old breeds, for example (because I'm not really around for that particular holiday), and I'm glad I won't have that much competition. For newer users, that's even more breeds to catch up with.

As much as I understand the wish (from older users mostly) to have the limit raised, I can't agree more with relaks here. I still need all breeds from the upcoming two Holidays and Halloween was kind of a pain with how fast e. g. Omens vanished in cave and on the AP.

I'd be fine with people grabbing 1-2 additional CBs for themselves but grabbing a bunch just to trade for rare stuff while others who need them can't even grab 1 or 2... wasn't happy with that at all. :( (raising the limit slightly but making them untradeable might be the way to go here - a compromise of sorts)

As much as I love the idea of raising CB limits for breeding purposes...um, yeah. I kinda WANT to eventually get a CB Holly one day. Last year was IMPOSSIBLE, so I'm looking forward to what I HOPE will be less competition this year. But ten bucks that just means the biome will be blocked by anything BUT what I'm trying to hunt. Same with vday dergs.

So yeah, I kinda like the limits. It means some of us can actually have a shot at things without people hoarding. Because yeah, there are gifters...but not everyone is that kind, especially toward new players. I have no idea how one would lift the limits without basically telling new players to screw off. A continuous flood of holiday eggs would be nice for that, rather than the 5-min shuffles where at least 4 minutes are wasted just...waiting. During a limited drop time.

So yeah, just my opinion. Here's me praying to not wait five years to finally get the rest of my xmas/vday CBs.

@Soulsborne @animatedrose Again: you'll have the same issue for the holiday biomes - except this time NOT because everyone snags stuff quickly, but because NOBODY snags any stuff. Basically, they'll be blocked like they were last year by the breeds from recent years, hiding all the old stuff somewhere in the backlog.

If the limits were lifted, you could at least try trading for the things you're missing, or hope for gifts. I gave away two CB lucky catch Omens this round, while I couldn't gift *anything CB at all* during christmas and valentine's - because my two slots are full for everything (and I won't release what I have bred with already).

...Yay. Just like I thought. Guess I'm just AP hunting this xmas and vday. :/ At least I know that hope was fruitless.

Early congrats to the lucky bunch who get anything this year!

Please no more limits. It seems like people want to keep limits because they want no challenge whatsoever at catching CBs and just want them handed to them. Yes, there will be certain holidays that are harder to catch than others if limits are lifted, and yes it could be pretty darn challenging. But that's... kind of the nature of the game when it comes to anything in the biomes. I don't think everyone should be restricted on CBs just because some of the DC population has trouble catching eggs.

Of course, this seems to be a perfect solution when it comes to pleasing all sides, so I'm all for it:

12 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Basically: 

I make a lot of holiday lineages, but I don't feel limited by having 2 CBs of each breed. There are a lot of generous people willing to breed their CB Holidays for free in gifting threads. Now IF we were able to get both genders of a breed, it would be a different matter...:ph34r:

Anyway, Valentines and Xmas are 'easy' Holidays for me. Only 2 CBs to catch, while during Halloween I need to get 8 to meet my scroll goals. And I don't need to scamble to get 8 CBs of past breeds, which I had to do those past 2 seasons on Halloween 💀💀💀