olympe

ANSWERED:Forum Function: Ignore posts by this user

I'm not really for this...

I think people will ignore/block everyone who rejects their wish/trade or wouldn't want to breed/get them something and things like that... It will happen I just know it :L

I think people will ignore/block everyone who rejects their wish/trade or wouldn't want to breed/get them something and things like that... It will happen I just know it :L

I don't see why that would matter. Clearly they wouldn't be trading with you if they are that shallow - so it would make no odds.

If someone does that, the forum will become pretty empty to them. xd.png Plus, if someone doesn't get what they want from me on the first try and decide to ignore me for it, that's their problem. Not mine.

If someone does that, the forum will become pretty empty to them. xd.png Plus, if someone doesn't get what they want from me on the first try and decide to ignore me for it, that's their problem. Not mine.

Exactly! If I ask you for a trade, and you deny me so I decide to go all 'neener neener I can't seeeee you!' - how is that your loss at all? Wouldn't you appreciate not having to deal with me in that instance? (I'm using myself here in a hypothetical stance, I really hope I never do anything like that!)

I do not support this suggestion.

I am perfectly fine with being able to block a user from PMing you, however being unable to see their posts at all would potentially leave out important parts of a discussion. I honestly see this feature causing more problems than it would solve.

If you don't want to read someone's posts, just scroll on by.

By encouraging the use of physical censorship to avoid social disagreements rather than practicing emotional tolerance and mental adaptation to otherwise worldly situations?

Not that the DC forums are prime for socially preparing people for the real world, of course. I'm just throwing it out there.

I'm fine with there being no ignore function, since I feel it asks members for a little bit more maturity than forums with endless ignore slots. Plus, I think a lot of initial ignore usage comes from knee-jerk reactions to something someone disagrees with, whereas in 97.4% of other situations said person would be agreeing or not mind the user at all. If a person is being ignored, there will be no opportunity for the ignoree to read things over and maybe decide, "huh, this person isn't as bad as I thought." I think the lack of ignoring actually benefits a lot of people in the long run.

Beautifully expressed!

If I may add another point:

if we restrict ourselves by shutting out posts by various people, and have no idea of what suggestions they may have made - how can we accurately contribute to a discussion with whole sections missing, the content of which we, but not others commenting, will have no idea of at all?

If we don't know what's actually going on because we don't want to read posts by certain people, the responses we make might not be the ones we would otherwise have made, because we've shut ourselves out of possibly a major part of the conversation...

Also, comments by other posters aimed at unseen posts may be more likely to be mistakenly assumed as directed at the person blocking posts and unaware of what's going on.

Rudeness should initiate a warn from our lovely and charming Mods - but we do need to be able to cope with others, at least to the point of scrolling past annoying posts, or risk losing what little coping ability we may have, and wind up blocking half the site.

Edit: Lol, and now can see that I was long since ninja.gif ed on the following page by LadyLyzar, but at least I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Edited by Syphoneira

But shouldn't it be my choice whether I want to "deprive" myself of posts by users I know to be not helpful, not contributing but merely stirring up trouble?

Besides, forums that do allow you to block people usually show that there is a post by the member you blocked with an option to still show the post if you so desire. So, if such a post should be important to a discussion, you can still view it if you feel you have to. However, some people come across as incredibly toxic to me, and I'd really like to be able to avoid them without having to shut myself out of the whole thread. And, to be quite frank, I'm sick of having to deal with them.

I am perfectly fine with being able to block a user from PMing you, however being unable to see their posts at all would potentially leave out important parts of a discussion.  I honestly see this feature causing more problems than it would solve.

This is my concern as well.

Also... what happens if said person you have blocked because 'their very username sets your teeth on edge' actually contributed something to discussion that someone ELSE happened to feel worthy of quoting? How would that work. Would the quote be blocked as well or would it appear then. It seems like it could make following what is being said difficult if you blocked many people at all. Just my thought. Just because you happen to not like/get along with that particular user doesn't mean they may NEVER have anything valuable to say. Admittedly, that is what a tag to indicate a 'blocked ' post that you could click to see what they were saying would be fore, BUT how often would it actually be used IF there was that much animosity AND if you look anyway and get into an argument, doesn't that defeat the whole POINT of this suggestion? AND as someone ELSE pointed out, IF someone has genuinely been rude or offensive, surely the mods would deal with them? And as for spammy, noncontributing posts... I thought that those ALSO could net you a warn from our mods?

Beyond THAT I just don't see the point.

I can't think of very many folks on here I would Absolutely feel the need to block posts from.

How hard is it REALLY to not read posts from someone that you know will just upset you?

Wouldn't just NOT bothering to read their posts have the same effect as what this idea suggests?

Edited by Silverswift

I am perfectly fine with being able to block a user from PMing you, however being unable to see their posts at all would potentially leave out important parts of a discussion. I honestly see this feature causing more problems than it would solve.

This, I think. Oh I understand how the responses like "your wrong because God said" can get really irritating (when I'm not having fun setting their worlds topsy-turvy with questions they never thought to ask), but... I can see this causing too many problems long term.

Cheers!

C4.

How hard is it REALLY to not read posts from someone that you know will just upset you?

Wouldn't just NOT bothering to read their posts have the same effect as what this idea suggests?

Personally: Very.

I'm a diligent reader of the Suggestions forum. Even if I come across a user whose posts I would rather not read, it takes me a fraction of a second to guilt-trip myself into that I really ought to read it anyway. This is a very instinctive reaction and has to do with my personality.

From other fora I know that blocking the post helps me a lot, because the motions I need to go through to actually read the post are enough to prevent said diligence from getting in the way of my peace of mind.

It may seem very strange if you don't have a comparable urge, but for me it really is very, very hard to skip things that I know will just hurt me, if there's nothing helping me enforce the decision.

(It's a very slight bit like trying to fight an addiction - it helps if you have something that isn't just willpower.)

Do you really have to decide for me whether it would be a problem for me to not read posts by a certain user? I mean, I'm not three years old and you're not my mommy, thank you very much. Personally, I wouldn't even use this feature lightly.

And if worse comes to worst, I can always change my settings. Or deduce the "worthy" content of a blocked user's posts from the reactions of other people.

When I read through a discussion, I usually only read the posts, not who made them. But since *you* feel that I'd be better of "depriving" myself consciously instead of with a forum option, I guess I'll have to either adapt to your high standards or keep out.

Do you really have to decide for me whether it would be a problem for me to not read posts by a certain user? I mean, I'm not three years old and you're not my mommy, thank you very much. Personally, I wouldn't even use this feature lightly.

And if worse comes to worst, I can always change my settings. Or deduce the "worthy" content of a blocked user's posts from the reactions of other people.

When I read through a discussion, I usually only read the posts, not who made them. But since *you* feel that I'd be better of "depriving" myself consciously instead of with a forum option, I guess I'll have to either adapt to your high standards or keep out.

I never meant anything offensive with my remark. O.o

I never said I was your 'mommy' or anything like that.

I just meant to point out that using an option like this might come with its own problems.

(ALSO That I didn't see myself using it or understand the need)

I DO think you bring up a good point. THAT being, that IF this became a thing, it would take a bit of care and thought in deciding to use it. SINCE it sounds like, from thinks a few people have said, this IS a thing on some other forums... I would be curious to know how they avoid the possible pitfalls of such a thing.

Edited by Silverswift

I DO think you bring up a good point. THAT being, that IF this became a thing, it would take a bit of care and thought in deciding to use it. SINCE it sounds like, from thinks a few people have said, this IS a thing on some other forums... I would be curious to know how they avoid the possible pitfalls of such a thing.

HONESTLY there don't seem to be any. I have an ignore list of about 30 (on a forum with 10k members, that isn't as awful as it sounds) and when there is clearly a real glitch in discussion, I CAN just click and look at that post.

MODS there encourage you to use the feature rather than get irritated enough to post angrily back and start something.

Sure, it should be easy enough to zip past - but as pink gothic says - it isn't that easy. Not to mention that when you see them REPEATING the totally incorrect things they are saying, things where you have already provided yards of correct info from places like government sites, doctors and so on - it is so hard not to repeat what you've said and correct them YET AGAIN but they won't hear because they KNOW they are right - which just starts a circle, as they won't stop. (Yes - nor will I - but by ignoring them, I would be MAKING a break in that endless circle. Which I think would be a good thing.)

It isn't a matter of reportable stuff, just things that make me go OTT. It is for MY benefit that I would want this.

Imo, there are no pitfalls to this idea. This is the best idea that's come to these forums in years.

Even if using this would cause a problem, it would be for the person over-using this feature. And if they know how to use it, they know how to turn it off, too.

HONESTLY there don't seem to be any. I have an ignore list of about 30 (on a forum with 10k members, that isn't as awful as it sounds) and when  there is clearly a real glitch in discussion, I CAN just click and look at that post.

MODS there encourage you to use the feature rather than get irritated enough to post angrily back and start something.

Sure, it should be easy enough to zip past - but as pink gothic says - it isn't that easy. Not to mention that when you see them REPEATING the totally incorrect things they are saying, things where you have already provided yards of correct info from places like government sites, doctors and so on - it is so hard not to repeat what you've said and correct them YET AGAIN but they won't hear because they KNOW they are right - which just starts a circle, as they won't stop. (Yes - nor will I - but by ignoring them, I would be MAKING a break in that endless circle. Which I think would be a good thing.)

It isn't a matter of reportable stuff, just things that make me go OTT. It is for MY benefit that I would want this.

IF it would be useful to some people, maybe there would be ways to make work as other sites have done.

My main concern was that it would , potentially , leave gaps in conversations, thus leaving the person trying to follow what is going on. Maybe that would ONLY be a problem IF you blocked a LOT of people? ( I do think that I agree with Olympe on this in that THAT is where trouble could come in.) I DO think it is a feature that would take maturity to use effectively.( What is worth putting someone on an ignore list over and what just is NOT)

My OTHER main concern IS that it could be abused.

ON the other hand, maybe better to have someone ignore people for no good reason ( Say heir trade offer was rejected or such... to use the example a previous post used) than it would be better than to have that same person reporting posts by the other user willy nilly for no good reason, which the mods would then have to try to sort out. (THOUGH I am sure that abuse of the report button PROBABLY would earn the abuser a warn instead of the intended victim). Or viewbombing the other users dragons or something. That is... if they are going to abuse a feature, maybe that is one of the less harmful ones. AFTER all, as someone else pointed out, the ignored person doesn't even KNOW they are being ignored!

Edited by Silverswift

But shouldn't it be my choice whether I want to "deprive" myself of posts by users I know to be not helpful, not contributing but merely stirring up trouble?

Besides, forums that do allow you to block people usually show that there is a post by the member you blocked with an option to still show the post if you so desire. So, if such a post should be important to a discussion, you can still view it if you feel you have to. However, some people come across as incredibly toxic to me, and I'd really like to be able to avoid them without having to shut myself out of the whole thread. And, to be quite frank, I'm sick of having to deal with them.

Hi, olympe! smile.gif

I see and understand your point, although on a general basis, I can see a number of potential issues pertaining not perhaps to anyone of your type of thinking, but those of less maturity.

Also, some people are already unwilling to consider that others may have valid viewpoints which might not agree with theirs and may even seek to denigrate others into silence regarding desired proposals which may have a potential for producing adverse effects they might not understand.

This would be giving such people an option to pretend that those viewpoints/others don't even exist and to completely shut them out of their consciousness and considerations.

It gives an easy opportunity for some to contract their worldview and capacity for objective thinking via simple blocking of anything they'd rather not hear.

My main concern was that it would , potentially , leave gaps in conversations, thus leaving the person trying to follow what is going on.

If you blocked someone, the only gap in the conversation would be theirs, and since they're blocked and you have no desire whatsoever to hear what they've got to say, who cares?

My OTHER main concern IS that it could be abused.

Abused how? If I want to block half this site, what's that to anyone but me?

Also, some people are already unwilling to consider that others may have valid viewpoints which might not agree with theirs and may even seek to denigrate others into silence regarding desired proposals which may have a potential for producing adverse effects they might not understand.

Blocking someone does not silence them to the rest of the user base. If I can't stand someone on this site, I don't care how 'valid' their views are or that they have views, period. Let the rest of the site read what they have to say. In some conversations, I'll choose blissfully ignorant vs being enlightened with a headache.

This would be giving such people an option to pretend that those viewpoints/others don't even exist and to completely shut them out of their consciousness and considerations.

Yeah. I do believe that's the whole point.

If you blocked someone, the only gap in the conversation would be theirs, and since they're blocked and you have no desire whatsoever to hear what they've got to say, who cares? 

Abused how?  If I want to block half this site, what's that to anyone but me?

ONE person... maybe not a big deal, BUT what IF you blocked half the site?

THAT might seriously mess things up, in that entire CONVERSATIONS and suggestions could go on, of which you would then know nothing. I THINK that this is what Olympe meant when she said MOST problems with this would come from its over use... and in that case would effect the User that used it them self.

As to your point about what it is to anyone else IF you block half the site?

That WOULD primarily be your business, I admit. WHICH is why I said in my above post that it would be one of the less harmful to others of possible abuse of features out there. THAT said... if THAT many people on a forum rubbed me the wrong way, I might consider not Being a part of said forum anymore. Just saying.

Edited by Silverswift

One last opinion I'll put into this before I remain in the back ground just reading.

I can understand not being able to maybe read past it. Trust me there are some people who have posted here and on other places who irritate the heck out of me and I can't help but read their post and just face palm so hard I occasionally hurt my self. That being said, I know I can be the bigger person and either not respond to their remark if it has nothing useful to the conversation, or only respond to the useful parts of the post and do my best to ignore the rest of it. Thats why I feel so many people snip bits out of quotes, you only reply to what is necessary, not the whole thing.

Not to mention that when you see them REPEATING the totally incorrect things they are saying, things where you have already provided yards of correct info from places like government sites, doctors and so on - it is so hard not to repeat what you've said and correct them YET AGAIN but they won't hear because they KNOW they are right - which just starts a circle, as they won't stop.

My father has a saying "Let there be one mule rather than two" Instead of directly correcting them, maybe try just focusing on posting the correct information not in an attempt to correct them, but to educate the poor soul that should venture on to that thread. Let them kill themselves trying to prove you wrong with whatever flawed ideals they may have, their set in their ways, you nor I, nor TJ, nor all the Gods in the universe will change them in their standing. The only thing you do is unnecessarily stress your self out against people so stubborn they will never change. Again, do not aim your responses at them, and let them roll around, scream, kick, and cry all they want. Post your information for the heck of it and don't argue. It will save you time and effort.

I really just feel like this need to avoid everything we don't like, hide from it, run away from it, is not healthy. If something someone says really feels that toxic to you try to sit there and ask your self why? What about this persons post is so bad that I feel the need to never see their name, their posts, or even know they exist ever again? What about this person or their post makes me so mad, so irritated, so frustrated that I feel the need to make them go away for the remainder of my time here? I really think a lot of what really irks us can be worked past. Not ignored, but worked past.

If something someone says is upsetting, then take your hands of the keys, breathe, calm down, and either do your best to read through it if you really have to, to see if it as anything valuable to the discussion and if not, move past it. You don't have to respond angrily, you don't have to be rude back, or stress your self over them. If they are directly insulting or their post contain triggering words, or phrases, explain that in your report. I feel though that a lot of this "Some posts are toxic" stems from our personal misinterpretation of what the other person is saying. We are not face to face, you cannot hear the tone of my voice or read my body language to dedce whether I'm directly aiming something at you personally or generalizing it. As such it is easy to read more than we have to, find ways to make things irritating or insulting, and thus the need to want to shut them out.

I even said in another thread, that it is getting very tiring to have to place a disclaimer within my posts because some users simply just seem to have the need to find insults or demeaning phrases that do not exist in my words. Do I want to block them despite their incessant need to demonize or twist my words? No. I do my best to be the bigger person and just work with whatever useful information they may provide. That may just be me and other work differently but I still feel that this would do more harm than good in the long run.

THAT might seriously mess things up, in that entire CONVERSATIONS and suggestions could go on, of which you would then know nothing. I THINK that this is what Olympe meant when she said MOST problems with this would come from its over use... and i that case would effect the User that used it them self.

If it's people I've got blocked having those conversations, I'd be happy to know nothing. And if it's 'over used' who cares? I mean, would I care that person X blocked 100 people? No.

if THAT many people on a forum rubbed me the wrong way

I personally have about a half dozen I'd block out of my world, my sight, my thoughts, right now if I had the option.

I really just feel like this need to avoid everything we don't like, hide from it, run away from it, is not healthy. If something someone says really feels that toxic to you try to sit there and ask your self why? What about this persons post is so bad that I feel the need to never see their name, their posts, or even know they exist ever again? What about this person or their post makes me so mad, so irritated, so frustrated that I feel the need to make them go away for the remainder of my time here? I really think a lot of what really irks us can be worked past.

If I see a rattlesnake in front of me I'm not going to sit there questioning why I want to get the hell away from it and why the sight of it makes me grit my teeth and want to run screaming for the hills. I just know that it does. I don't care why. It just is. I don't have a single need to know why some people around here make my blood simmer, I just know they do. It would be best to avoid them completely, like they didn't even exist.

I even said in another thread, that it is getting very tiring to have to place a disclaimer within my posts because some users simply just seem to have the need to find insults or demeaning phrases that do not exist in my words.

Exactly. And I'm tired of dealing with those types.

Do I want to block them despite their incessant need to demonize or twist my words?

Yes. In a skinny NY minute.

Edited by MedievalMystic

It gives an easy opportunity for some to contract their worldview and capacity for objective thinking via simple blocking of anything they'd rather not hear.

Well, it might. But if it makes them happy...

Even if someone only sees their part of a discussion, it won't change the discussion itself - or the effects on TJ or the site.

My father has a saying "Let there be one mule rather than two" Instead of directly correcting them, maybe try just focusing on posting the correct information not in an attempt to correct them, but to educate the poor soul that should venture on to that thread. Let them kill themselves trying to prove you wrong with whatever flawed ideals they may have, their set in their ways, you nor I, nor TJ, nor all the Gods in the universe will change them in their standing. The only thing you do is unnecessarily stress your self out against people so stubborn they will never change. Again, do not aim your responses at them, and let them roll around, scream, kick, and cry all they want. Post your information for the heck of it and don't argue. It will save you time and effort.

It may have escaped your attention that you CAN be modded for repeating the same thing over and over. And fair enough. Seems to me I have even on occasion been told by a mod HERE to let something go.

I really just feel like this need to avoid everything we don't like, hide from it, run away from it, is not healthy. If something someone says really feels that toxic to you try to sit there and ask your self why? What about this persons post is so bad that I feel the need to never see their name, their posts, or even know they exist ever again? What about this person or their post makes me so mad, so irritated, so frustrated that I feel the need to make them go away for the remainder of my time here? I really think a lot of what really irks us can be worked past. Not ignored, but worked past.

Easily said. I am 70 years old and I work my way past one HELL of a lot. I've actually been THANKED occasionally for sane and rational responses to the terminally awful. But I don't see the point of making myself be irritated more than I need to.

I don't need to read some posts. And I will not read those posts. And it would be a lot easier to avoid reading them if they were hidden. I don't talk back to cold callers either - I just hang up. Same essential principle. IF I can't follow a thread I am at liberty to look at those hidden posts.

As such it is easy to read more than we have to, find ways to make things irritating or insulting, and thus the need to want to shut them out.

It's not a matter of insults or anything - it is a matter of "NOT AGAIN" stuff. The easy option - for me anyway- woudl be to avoid GD altogether, for instance. But I do actually to my best to promulgate accurate info there. I have quite a lot of that, cos I am so ANCIENT !

I even said in another thread, that it is getting very tiring to have to place a disclaimer within my posts because some users simply just seem to have the need to find insults or demeaning phrases that do not exist in my words. Do I want to block them despite their incessant need to demonize or twist my words? No. I do my best to be the bigger person and just work with whatever useful information they may provide. That may just be me and other work differently but I still feel that this would do more harm than good in the long run.

No-one has done that to me in particular. But I am NOT going to read their posts; why should I not have the option to hide them altogether. It isn't stifling parts of a discussion for me to refuse to read "but god says so" or "the US government is always right". Those posts are exactly as blinkered as is my refusing to read them. They are as closed minded as I am apparently, by wanting to shut out the terminally annoying and hidebound (not the very different; I enjoy actual DEBATE - anyone who goes to GD knows that xd.png).

Even if using this would cause a problem, it would be for the person over-using this feature. And if they know how to use it, they know how to turn it off, too.

Exactly.

Edited by fuzzbucket

What I really would like to know is if this old outdated version of Invision have such feature. The other forum where I go every day is a vBulletin forum and have this feature, when you block someone you don't see the person's posts anymore, the person can't see your profile (it appears as a blank page), can't PM you nor can leave you a visitor message.

Sometimes I think that people overthink and overdiscuss things in this forum without know if what they are discussing is possible to make. I think this is one of the cases.

I tried to search the Invision features to discover if the block posts feature is available but this forum version is so old that there are no information about the features anymore.