20mia08

Night Pack Roleplay

Really now? -she turned towards Blake, with a disdainful glare- Assumptions, assumptions... I hadn't the slightest clue what this one did to you or your brother, and I honestly wouldn't care any less even if I gave it my all. That's his and your business to deal with. But if you're willing to put me to death just because I happened to chance upon that particular black-furred one, then you're no better... -she sneered.

As a matter of fact, your willingness to put anyone who has possibly held any sympathy to that "sunovasumthing"as you put it to death brands you nothing more then a vengeful tyrant! -she scowled- Worse yet, you're so willing to put the lives and reputations of your entire pack on the line over such petty personal squabbles! That brands you a liability as well. -she went on, just as fired up as before.

Oh but you poor dear... everyone knows your loss must weigh on everyone around you's shoulders, right? That's how things work, obviously... -she mocked with piercing sarcasm- You special special snowflake. I'd hate to burst your bubble, but personal matters are called personal for a reason. You've no right to foist your hate or your wrath on innocent bystanders. Heh, glad you're not alpha. Otherwise, next thing you know you'll be forcing the pack to rip Torque apart because 'he looked at you funny'. -she finished saying just as disdainful.

What? -asked Torque, still trying to believe what he was hearing.

Edited by Brotato

Blake, subordinate

"You are no one to judge me." He replied with toneless voice to the loner. He stared blankly and his memories went back to that day when they went hunting with Twig and Den. Everything was going fine... until they met him. Another black wolf, that surely trespassed their territory. They wanted just to scare him off, but his brother was young and impulsive and he didn't have any experience in fighting...

The loner cut him right at the throat. Blood started to spill fiercely, and Twig fell down senseless. Blake panicked. He couldn't believe his own eyes... his own brother died in a battle and he couldn't do anything about it. He didn't even notice that the black wolf jumped in his direction, but fortunately Den intercepted the attack. Next thing he remembered was running aimlessly in the woods. The shame was on him when he returned to the camp.

From this time, Blake learned to not trust any loners, especially when you are on your own ground. He had a serious rancor against them, maybe a bit too serious... but that's how he rolled. He hardly would forget about what happened there, even if the rest of his pack forgot about it.

((Oddi is late... Someone's getting tackled...))

Hia~

Hiera nodded a silent 'thank you so much' to Ace as he left. "Eat, before you starve," she said, nudging it closer to the pup. She still didn't know his name, actually. What was it? When he finished she would ask.

Kestra~

"Opposed to- well... Ace... Is, well, different than his parents. He'll probably let you in, but he doesn't like self-centered, vain, lazy wolves. Prove your loyalty and bravery and you'll appeal to him. I don't know. Alice and Shadow let me and Hia in, not Ace." She laughed when the white and gray wolf 'bowed', for lack of a better word. "You don't gotta do that, I'm so informal anyway. Hah. Well, we can get going if you want. Most probably won't question me. The only reason I'm being careful is because some of the wolves aren't very nice. Ace is cool with it most the time, but... Red, Torbjorn, sometimes Blake, they can all be jerks to newcomers. Hell, even I can sometimes. Normally not though."

Edited by MyaMouse

Maxine, Subordinate

Max followed behind Bright star after hearing what he said and went even faster so that she wasn't last to get back to the cave. She had noticed him going off towards a hill as well as noticing him talk to the Beta Female Kestra but wasn't close enough to hear their conversation. She had only caught up to him after he had walked away from the former and wondered if Harmony was following after them since she hadn't seen her since the river but figured that she was still following even though she couldn't see her. She mentally shrugged that off and went back to focusing on beating Bright star to the cave.

Edited by redfox

Bright star subornate

Bright star saw Maxine run up beside him and realized he misjudged the distance between him and them. As she passed him he sped up, trying to catch her. As he ran he heard the snow crunch under his feet. He nearly dropped a fish trying to stay level with Maxine. As he ran he thought about his conversation with Kestra. She seemed almost overly dismissing. There was something strange about that conversation. The scents were much too close for Kestra to have to "find" them. Oh well, he would give more thought to it later, at camp. Right now he had other problems, like being second to last green deer. He then put on a speed burst passing Maxine.

Leia possible alpha female

Leia shook off the scare she had gotten from Codak. "What a creep" she grumbled to herself as she walked into the field in front of the cave. She glanced at the white snow on the ground and suddenly got excited. Her eyes got big and the fear of Codak vanished. She felt like the world was giving her a warm hug. "This has to be a good omen! The snow is the same shade as my fur! Eeeeeeeeeeeee!" She squealed. She admired herself for a few minutes. Then got bored. She saw that beta Esko. She walked over to him and asked:" Hey mister? Do you know where Ace is?"

Aurora subordinate

"But Blake didn't you just see tor..." She watched him run off after Ace. "Oh well now I'll just wait for them to come back." She walked over to the side of the opening of the den. She sat down. The snow was cold so she shifted around on her rear for a while. She looked over her view: Hiera was with that pup they had rescued, Leia was talking to Esko and Codak was lounging behind a rock. The most fascinating however was the kill they brought in. She just barely resisted the urge to take a giant bite out of it. The reason was of course the beating Ace had given Tor. She sighted and decided to wait for ace and the group to come back.

((Ceres and Aurora are open for interaction.))

Edited by Evil sethoss

Ace, Alpha

Ace raised his tail for silence, a single ear twitching as he waited for the wolves around him to quiet down. He let his amber gaze fall onto Torque and Crimson, his ears flattening as he spoke. You two should know better than to attack innocent wolves who aren't doing anything but wishing to join! Do you want less help at hunting, less food, less friends, less safety?! Yes, she could've been plotting an attack or planning to steal prey, but she wasn't, she wanted to join. You two should be ashamed of yourselves! One day, an innocent wolf with pups will wonder in, asking to join, and you two idiots will wonder up to her and kill her, leaving pups motherless in the cold. He growled in a sharp and assertive tone, forcefully keeping his fur flat as it begged to bristle. The alpha then took in a deep breath to calm himself, his eyes remaining narrowed. But, that shall never happen again, correct? Ace growled, his amber gaze falling onto Nyra. If she wished to join, wouldn't she have spoke out when attacked rather than fight back? Yes, it was an act of self-defense, but she could've at least said something.

As for you, Nyra, you could've spoken out. You should've told them that you wished to join so they wouldn't fight you. Yes, you were fighting out of self-defense, but if you would've told them you wished to join, things wouldn't have gotten so dirty. He began with a flick of his tail, remaining where he stood with a dominant stance. The alpha met the lone wolf's gaze without flinching before continuing on. If you wish to join my pack, you may. If you do , I expect you to follow us while we return home, and I don't want to hear anymore sibling-fights, I have enough of it myself. Understood?

Harmony, Subordinate

It seemed that both Bright star and Maxine had forgotten that Harmony was still in their little competition. While they had been fighting to take lead and using up their energy, Harmony had been calmly loping at a constant, steady pace, her catches hanging in her jaws as she ran. Home was slowly coming into sights, the finish line where Harmony would win. With a small smirk, the red female wolf put on a burst of energy, passing both Maxine and Bright star. You know, it's a little rude to forget me. She called over her shoulder in a proud and playful tone, continuing to speed ahead of the two other subordinates.

Blake, subordinate

Suddenly, reality struck Blake like a lightning. "No, it shan't" Blake replied to Ace's words with a certain annoyance. Maybe he was the alpha, but he wouldn't change the old wolf. Many moons passed since he lost his brothers, but it left a scar in his heart - and as for now he didn't trust Nyra. Maybe after some time, if she actually gets along with the pack, then okay. But as for now, she was a stranger, and Blake didn't like strangers.

"Let's just go to the camp. It seems that you're wolves might be starving." He said, resting his gaze on the leader. Then, he left in direction of the cave, not caring much about the others.

((short post is short))

Shade

Shade smiles gratefully and tears into the fish, not caring about the various guts and viscera spraying onto his fur. Once he finishes, he collapses against Hiera's side.

"That's my first time having fresh meat. There wasn't any last winter and afterwards I was alone. I'm Shade, by the way." He stops and cocks his head. "Do you need to hear my story to trust me? I don't want to talk about it."

Kind of hard to do that with a pair of jaws clamped around your throat... -is what Nyra wanted to say, but the case was already open and shut.

She'd gotten her way, and that's all that mattered. Understood.

Oh how a few right words could turn a tide. A mere moment ago, Nyra was facing the potential wrath of two, if not three opponents.

Now, she'd secured herself a place of operation, a steady supply of food, and plenty of opportunities to do something meaningful for a change.

Protecting this territory would be her prime objective, and she would enjoy doing so with the same gusto and bravado as always.

As for her brother, she had mixed feelings about Torque's presence there.

On one paw, she least of all wanted to hurt him, but on the other, she knew him well enough to suspect he'd be trouble later on.

For now, she would simply observe. I'm ready to head out.

Torque kept as neutral an expression as he could, despite the fact that he felt like biting his own sister's head off. Not out of anger, but envy. She had indeed changed over those moons they were separate. She'd gotten both more manipulative and sinister then he last remembered her. Their fight here and her actions just now proved one thing with absolute certainty, though. She would be a thorn in their side for their coming attempts to have Ace overthrown. And yet, he couldn't help but feel foolish as Red's words echoed through his head "How should we attack? We have the element of surprise, that's for sure. Perhaps you attack first, you have more strength than me, and you could easily tackle and pin him down when he is surprised." and though he trusted her judgement, he couldn't help but think this could have been avoided if they'd indeed been just a little bit more patient. Still, he knew no better either, and now they had to take that scolding in good grace, lest they infuriate Ace any more then they wanted to.

Understood... -he sighed and stared at his paws.

Edited by Brotato

Hia~

"I don't need to hear your story, Shade," Hia said. She was getting tired herself, but she had to stay alert, mostly because of the increase in attacking loners. She and her siblings had never attacked. Why would they? It wasn't like the trio needed anything from attacking, even if they were strong enough. What does one get from attacking anyway? Bad rep? Fear? Certainly not respect.

Maxine, Subordinate

"I didn't forget about you I just didn't know where you were behind or beside us!" Max called back to Harmony with the fish still in her mouth as she now ran to catch up to the red wolf. As she did that, she could hear Bright star try to catch up to her after she had passed him. She saw that the cave was coming up close but didn't know if she would pass her friend in time before she got to the mouth of it but that was fine. Even if Bright star was able to pass her, she'd be fine with that as well since she wasn't a sore loser or anything if she was last. She'd be disappointed but would still be okay.

Bright star subordinate

Even so Maxine and Harmony passed him he still had lots of penned up energy. His legs started pumping and his lungs started to go into overtime. His only thought was: Must.. Go.. Faster! and maybe for a couple of seconds: This is going to hurt tomorrow. Snow was pushed behind him as he charged. The evening sky seemed to be cheering him on as he push himself on. His work played off he passed Maxine slowly by slowly but eventually he did. He couldn't pass Harmony though; she was too far ahead. As he raced on he slipped on ice landing on his ribs, but luckily this proved helpful instead of hindering. His slip sent him sliding towards towards camp surely securing his place as second.

Ace, Alpha

The alpha narrowed his amber eyes. Very well, let's hurry back then. Without another word, Ace turned, trotting off in the direction of camp and not even caring to look over his shoulder to make sure Nyra and the others followed. He was getting sick of disobedience and pointless arguments, all he was trying to do was save his pack. Yet they thought Crimson could do better, which was clearly incorrect. She could've killed a wolf simply wishing to join! Flat-out irresponsible and ignorant in his eyes. Ace loped onward, his ears flattened against his head to block out snow and cold wind, his eyes set on the horizon ahead. He needed to think positive, of good things, he needed to make himself cool down and be happy. One of the first things that came to the alpha's mind was food. Maybe everyone would be back when he returned? Maybe Harmony and Maxine's fishing trip had been very successful? As the wolves passed the river, Ace could catch the faint scent of Harmony, Maxine, and Bright star.

Hm, he must've joined in. Well, the more the merrier. The black-and-silver wolf continued walking on. Hopefully this Nyra wolf will be helpful, because she is another mouth to feed. My packs becoming massive, no wonder we're all starving...They need to get their tails into gear and start hunting more. Maybe I should move us deeper into the forest? Ace let out a small sigh as his home came into sights.

Red

As Ace spoke, Red felt even more angry. It was their fault?! They attacked them first! However, she couldn't say anything as Ace was already walking back. Anger clouding her judgement, she ran up to Ace, heavily limping in pain and stood in front of him, halting him.

"You haven't heard anything from our side," she growled, her eyes narrowed in pure hatred and her teeth bared. "Surely a smart and great leader would stop to listen to both sides before making a decision," Red said, sarcasm and hatred dripped off her words like venom. "For you information, we were leading a hunting patrol. We scented a loner, so I decided that Torque and I should figure out the problem while the rest hunted, Red paused, shooting a death glare at Nyra. Boy, she hated that wolf's guts. "We saw the loner on our territory. So, since he was in our pack's territory, we had to drive him out. We did that, only for this, wolf, ambushed us which then had been blown to a full fight. If, she really did want to join, she should of stopped us and asked, you know, before she decided to join us in fighting.

Red hated this. They were being accused of something they didn't do! She was defending herself and Torque, after all, how could their leader listen to the loner who just 'joined', or whatever she was doing right now. It was only smart to see what was happening from both sides. Surely Ace wasn't this dumb, but he proved himself to be.

((Sorry if its too much, Crimson is really defensive and hates being blamed.))

As the group moved towards the territory's centre, Nyra could finally get a good idea of just how large of a pack this was. If she had to judge by scents alone, she estimated roughly thirty... thirty wolves! Thirty mouths to feed, thirty bloody individuals to keep in check! It made her question just how well the hierarchy worked around here. With a pack this huge, rebellion was likely right around the corner.

There's always that one blind upstart with a head full of dreams and a flock of fanged sheep to do his bidding. -she figured, already on-edge about her presence here. No doubt sooner or later they'd be involved in an uprising. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. On one paw, Nyra was more then happy to get the chance to rip someone's throat out and get away with it, but she'd made more then one enemy already, and before she'd even been admitted into the pack.

She didn't fear them, but had a different concern altogether. If someone else takes over, someone less reasonable then the one who'd granted her entry into the pack, she'd be in a very uncomfortable position, and may well have to leave. That won't happen. I won't allow it to. -she promised herself, just as Red started talking.

Once she was finished, she sighed and glanced back towards her.

You're right. I did counterattack. I didn't beg for mercy or a chance to explain my situation. I'm sorry for defending myself. It was a situational mistake, and I'll own up to it. -she rolled her eyes and looked back forward- Clearly you're not willing to own up to yours, though.

Edited by Brotato

Maxine, Subordinate

Max sighed when she noticed Bright star pass by her slowly until he was on his way to try to catch up to Harmony. She wasn't at all bothered by being in last place but she just hoped that she wouldn't be called "green wolf" the whole day by the whole pack because she was the last one to get there in the race. She then also slid on the same patch of ice that had the former (Bright star) was currently sliding on but she was still behind the other and the ice wasn't helping her to pass him again. She did try running on the slippery ice and was successful a bit but it didn't let her go as fast as she wanted to. She was also trying to be careful so that she wouldn't fall on her face.

Edited by redfox

Ace, Alpha

How sick the alpha was of his sister...At the moment, he was practically holding himself back from bowling her over and beating her to a pulp once more. He bared his fangs in warning, letting himself tower over Crimson and send her into his shadow. Don't you dare speak back to me, I heard your side of the story, so how about you listen?! Did I not say Nyra made a mistake as well by not asking to join before fighting? Huh?! You made plenty of mistakes as well, Crimson, especially right now. Use your ears, and if you don't, you won't have them. Are we clear? Now, shut your yap or get out of my sights. Ace's tone was dark and harsh, his fur bristling and doubling his size. He meant his words, and he would certainly beat his sister once more if she dare talk back. He was sick of her little know-it-all attitude, if she was alpha, there'd be no pack for her to rule.

Nyra simply observed quietly as the alpha spoke his mind. Sure has a loud bark alright, but what about his bite?

Throughout her experiences as a loner, Nyra had indeed met her share of stragglers, and had defended herself against other pack envoys sent to chase her off their land, and almost every single time she noticed the same dastardly deception. Her opponents always talked big, but never measured up to their words. Nyra had never met an actual alpha before, let alone one in charge of such an overgrown pack, so it seemed logical, though she was still so-so curious about it.

Maybe, a sparring ring. In the early days of her youth, Nyra and her siblings had a special place where they would playfight. They called it the sparring ring, and it was exactly what it sounded like. They would draw a circle in the snow, and take turns facing off against each other. No one got hurt, and they all grew up to be capable fighters...

I'll have to discuss it, though. Later, ofcourse.

Right now, the prospect of a warm den and some food seemed like mana from heaven.

Nyra was exhausted, she'd been on the move for the past several days, without getting so much more then a few winks of sleep each night.

=========================================

Torque silently watched, unwilling to attempt to anger the alpha further.

They were already in the hot seat, and Red wasn't making it any easier on them.

Once Ace was one with his threats, Torque simply sighed and muttered under his breath barely loudly enough for Red to hear: Let's just go before he pops a gasket. -before trailing off back towards the dens. It would be dark out soon, and they'd had a long day. He needed to rest and tend to his wounds before they got dirty and infected, though he couldn't lick his own neck, the least he could do is avoid getting other injuries to worry about.

Edited by Brotato

Red

Oh boy, if looks could kill, Ace would be dead three times over and buried under a mountain of rock. Red had this urge to swipe a clawed paw over her brother's face and to draw blood. She longed to fight him again, even though she had lost the battle against him previously. She still remembered the fight clearly before her own eyes. The mere seconds she was able to gain the upper-hand in battle, she loved it. But now, Red was smarter. She could easily attack Ace now, and possibly win. Her lips drew back in the beginning of a snarl, her stance in a battle position. She was ready to fight, even though her injured keg was searing in pain.

Stop Crimson! You idiot! You do not provoke him with all his followers on your side, and with so little on yours! Crimson, think about it. Leave it for later. When he isn't so bossy and plain stupid. Red, after her mind had battled it out, suddenly changed her body language. She relaxed visibly, her head bowed down and her tail fell limply between her hind feet. A small whine left her maw as she peered up at her brother. It was probably scaring Ace, since the image of her being submissive was one of the strangest sights ever, next to a rainbow colored deer darting in the waves.

She hated being this cowardly and wimpy, the burning gaze of Ace was boring into her skull and burning a hole in the snow below. Torque was probably shocked, as was Blake. Nyra, the stupid new loner who got her in this mess, probably had an annoying smirk that Red was itching to smack it off of her face. Nevertheless, she wanted her brother to forgive her or whatever he does and for her to get back to camp.

Blake, subordinate

Blake was surprised by Red's behavior. Being submissive like that? It wasn't her style. The Red he knew was much more aggressive, keeping her ground to the bitter end. Guess she has something planned... He couldn't find another explanation for that sudden change of her. The black wolf knew that it wasn't time to ask about anything now, so he just stayed silent until they came back to the camp.

After a while, they were returned to the den. Everyone seemed to be doing their things, but after they've seen a new wolf coming with Ace, some muffled whispers could be heard, like "Who is that?" or "Another mouth to feed...". To be honest, Blake shared their opinion at least partly - he didn't trust Nyra as long as she wasn't accepted by the rest pack. Even after that it'd be probably hard for him to accept her... But only time would tell.

((Eh, let's get this moving.))

Shade

Shade, having filled his belly with the succulent fish, decides he wants to check out the camp. He got up and stretched, then snuck away while Hia wasn't looking. Having escaped her gaze, he looks around.

"Wow, look at all these wolves!" he muttered to himself. "There's more than twice my original pack! And there are so many places to hide, too!" He finds a patch of grass and sneaks through it. "I am a fearsome predator. I am quieter than the wind, and all fear me!" Having almost gotten to the and of the grass, he sees something tan and black flicking back and forth in the grass. (Red's tail, flicking in irritation.)He hunkers down and focuses on the small furry thing, and then leaps out and attacks it.

((Shade is amazingly brilliant. tongue.gif))

dionne; loner

She lifted her head at the beta's approval and nodded slightly. Self-centered, vain, and lazy wasn't something she would associate herself with, at least not that she was aware of. After all, she had been a loner for nearly three years. Lazy was definitely not a quality that lasted long in such a life style. Vain? Dionne hoped herself a humble wolf, as vanity did nothing for her in the wilderness on her own. Besides, from what she could remember as a young wolf from her original pack, such narcissism had been one of the many vices that had turned her away from pack life in the first place.

"I understand," Dionne said, her voice low and calm. She cast a glance at Menemith and Nashota-- well, mostly the pregnant wolf, as Nashota seemed well enough on her own-- at Kestra's warning. The pack wolves could be rude all they desired toward Dionne, for all the good it would get them. She was not a wolf that considered cruelty towards herself worthy of much attention or reaction. They could try all they wanted, but it would likely get them nowhere.

On the other hand, Dionne had a feeling that Menemith would be a prime target for aggression and hostility, and for some reason that bothered Dionne greatly. Turning her attention back to Kestra, the white and gray wolf added in a softer, yet oddly ominous tone, "I may not be in a place to speak as such, but I shall make this clear now: your pack may ridicule and confront me as much as should satisfy them, but should they lay so much as a paw on Menemith and her belly of pups, I will not hesitate to intervene. I do not tolerate such disgraceful displays of animosity." Conviction shone fiercely in the depths of Dionne's amber eyes as she gazed at Kestra. She was not an aggressive or terribly bloodthirsty wolf, nor did she really pride herself in physical strength and bravado. Even as a pack wolf those many years ago, she was not one to eagerly throw herself into violence. Dionne did not care much about putting on a tough facade. But when it came to a moral compass, she even surprised herself with how strong it still burned within her after all those years. She would not disregard it just to placate a few nastier wolves.

Dionne gave herself a small shake to rid herself of the fatigue that had begun to settle in her bones. Should it come to it, she would need her strength to defend Menemith and possibly continue her journey should this Alpha prove himself unaligned with Dionne's ethics. She had come this far, and she would be damned if she let herself settle in a place that allowed such loathsome behavior.

She nodded again at Kestra. It would be best to be on their way, as dusk would be closing around them soon and she would rather have some sunlight to see by when their company joined the rest of the pack. With a wary wave of her tail, she padded after the beta female, making a mental note of the names Kestra had rattled off. Red, Torbjorn, and Blake, she thought to herself. I would not be surprised if they are the first we happen to meet. Ace must have been the Alpha, with Alice and Shadow his late parents. It reminded her slightly of how she was once expected to become an Alpha once her adoptive mother and father passed, but she was glad she never got the opportunity-- that pack had long been corrupted by greed and jealousy. She never would have lasted long as a regular wolf among them.

As the scent of the pack grew thicker, Dionne found herself hoping this pack was different.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Ace, Alpha

The alpha's fur remained bristled slightly, but he turned away from his sister and her followers, fighting the urge to snap at her anyways. As Ace walked along, he managed to force his thick fur flat, but his ears remained flattened as he trudged through the snow. The black-and-silver wolf quickened his pace, as it was slowly growing dark and he had a strong urge to return home and later dine. As he neared camp, the faint scent of lone wolf touched his nose, causing the alpha to pause. Another lone wolf? No, more than one, three. Ace's fur threatened to bristle once more, but the alpha kept it flat as he caught a faint scent of his beta female as well. Perhaps she had found some family members and had a quick chat with them? After all, Kestra had been a lone wolf. ...Smells like we have company. Ace murmured over his shoulder as he raised his head. The wolf quickened his pace, shaking the falling snow from his pelt as he entered the cave, his tail and head held high.

Esko could not believe he had done nothing but take a nap for who knows how long. He was a Beta, he had responsibilities! He got up, stretched, and walked out of the den. He looked around for trouble, then sighted the Alpha. Ace looked to have found something, and caught him say they had company. Esko trotted up next to the Alpha and walked next to him. So we do? Something worth seeing.tt

MENEMITH

What? Dionne, what are you doing? You've just met them. They could tear us apart, they could tear you apart...they could take away everything I've worked for. Menemith thought, though she kept her jaws shut.

She wanted so badly to ask her new companion (or friend? Were they friends? Was this what friendship was?) to remain silent, though she still did not trust the foreigner not to snap at her. The stranger did not seem to consider her place. She had no idea what Menemith had done to get away from Muqua and continue to survive. If she had to roll over and take a few beatings to provide her pups with protection then she would. It meant little to her if these wolves treated her badly as long as they had the softness of heart to give the tiny lives she carried a good quality of life.

TORBJORN

The dark-pelted wolf raised his head after a moment, having dozed off. Ace had returned, and judging by his body language, something had him on edge. Within seconds Tor smelled it too; loners, and decidedly...odd ones. The scents were mingled, though he could pick Kestra's smell from the tangle with ease. He could also discern a strong scent of fear, though he couldn't tell if it was from one or all of the strangers. He got to his feet and slunk after Ace, careful to keep a good distance between himself and the alpha so that he might not be angered again.