20mia08

Night Pack Roleplay

Avion, subordinate

((On kindle, no color))

Avion froze, his mud colored fur rising along his spine. A few deer paused and glanced around as well, eventually flicking their tails and returning to eating. What was that noise? It had sounded like a weak whine, from perhaps a pup. Avion grunted angrily, turning away from the deer, hoping they wouldn't flee. He glanced around for whoever made the noise, eventually making out a gray shape, slightly frosted with snow. He quietly bounded over to it, gazing down at it before grabbing its scruff and picking it up.

((Short, and again, on kindle))

Blake, subordinate

Wait, wait, wait. The elks run in every direction possible if only one wolf scares 'em. Blake suddenly realized they were approaching the whole situation in a wrong way. We need at least two wolves to come and scare the elks, so we can easily guide them to the clearing. There the rest would wait at the border of the clearing and take 'em by surprise. He looked around everyone. At least that's how I see this.

Then, he noticed Avion picking up an unconscious, grey pup. What is this nonsense? A pup? Here? The black wolf took a suspicious look at it. Someone needs to take care of it. Any volunteers? We need to keep it going.

Edited by zamboza

Avion, Subordinate

Avion nodded in agreement, the pup continuing to hang in his powerful jaws. His ears then angled towards the herb of deer before he gazed back down at the bundle of gray in his jaws. We do need to take him in, but what about he herd? If I leave to take him back, then we won't have enough wolves. Avion put in, sitting down as he cast another glance at the herd. They were slowly starting to move on, losing interest in the small scraps of dying grass. Perhaps if he raced to camp fast enough? He'd have to be very quiet, but at the same time, very fast so the pup he was carrying could make it. He let out a frustrated sigh through the pup's soft scruff, his fur growing hot.

TORBJORN

Tor studied the little scrap, yellow eyes unblinking. It looked pathetic as it dangled helplessly from Avion's jaws. Surely it would be better to leave it out here? It looked half dead anyway. The other wolves didn't seem so certain. They were too soft to let nature take its course. He knew if he wanted their trust he'd have to play like he was too.

"Ace had sent another group out. They will bring back something. If this little scrap is going to survive we will need to take it back to camp. The alternative is leaving it here to starve." He growled, stepping forward and nudging the pup with his muzzle. Perhaps it was already dead...?

Blake, subordinate

Meeting a lone pup while being on a hunt wasn't the best thing that could happen for them. Blake frowned. "Uh... It won't live if we leave it in this cold. It's already unconscious. Either one of us goes back to the camp or we leave it." They had to face this. It was a matter of life and death - on one side there was that pup's life and on the other they risked not being able to feed the pack. A harsh decision was needed. "I'm going to the clearing. One of us needs to go and scare the herd, I don't care who. We wait for Avion a short while, if he doesn't come back, just start without him." The black wolf's imperious glance scanned everyone in the hunting pack and finally met his gaze with Avion. "Just be quick and remember - if we don't manage to hunt down the elks, it will be someone's fault."

That's what he liked. Leading a hunting group. For so long he hadn't done this... Blake wandered off in direction of the clearing, leaving everything else for pack to discuss.

Edited by zamboza

Kestra~

"I'm Kestra, this here is my sister Hiera. Call me Kes." The silver wolf smiled and nodded at the subordinate.

"Overthrowing Ace? Y'mean what Red tried to do all those moons ago?

Well, y'see, Ace's sister Crimson wants to be Alpha. She challenged Ace a few moons ago for Alphaship and was beat to a pulp.

Recently she's been persuading other wolves to help her not-so-noble cause. But I wouldn't trust her even if she was my best friend. Red's a tricky one, alright. And she's working to get other wolves to help her beat down Ace."

Kestra smiled at Ashur. "If you need anything else, feel free to ask me or Eskirius."

Ofcourse, ofcourse. Challenged, you say... But why would anyone want to do that? This group is run so well. At least, from what I can tell. I'm not one to dig into the smelly underbelly of whatever political scandals might be transpiring here, but I'll take your word for it. Poor thing, though. To be beaten to a mushy pulp... sounds unpleasant. he nodded, genuinely bewildered that anyone would bother challenging Ace's authority. What was there to gain? Why would anyone want to carry the burden of being held responsible for such a large pack anyway? Was it not best to just bow your head a few times and get food and shelter in exchange? Seemed like a much better way to live one's life.

And yet still, Ashur felt perplexed, in a way. Perhaps there was more going on here then met the eye. But hell, it was none of his business. So he pushed that silly curiosity aside and changed the subject, deciding to inquire about Ace instead.

I take it our 'illustrious leader' isn't fond of having his time wasted, then. Seeing as the only way I can be useful around here is to let him know what's going on in his territory, I have to ask, what's Ace like? He's not a ticking time bomb is he? Because the last thing I'd want is to be around if it goes off.

Edited by Ælex

Hia~

"Time bomb? If anyone's a time bomb, it's Red. She'll kill him for that role. She'll kill anyone for that role." Hiera had been quiet through her sister and Ashur's conversation but she decided to butt in.

"Yeah, that sounds about right. Ace is, in four words, calm, born leader, and naive. Well, five if you count the 'and' part," Kestra responded, "Whereas Crimson is, in four words, cunning, born fighter, and ruthless. Again, five if you count the 'and'."

"Okay that sounds fun!" Bright star said louder than he should be. He jumped into the river and quickly swam to a sandbar. He stood there and looked for fish. As soon as he saw one his head darted in and out of the water so quickly he just looked a flash. He then he had a fish in his he throw it powerfully to land. After doing this for a while, he had amassed a large pile of fish on shore. "Wow! That sure is a lot of fish! Maybe Ace will let us have a fish feast! Or maybe a fish festival! Oh yeah! a fish that would be fun! We could have games and a giant meal! And it could be to celebrate waking up!" He cheated excitedly. Then he realised he had to move all the fish he had caught. "Uhhh... Do you guys want to help?

((If the color fails it's because I'm on my kindle.))

I see. Well, that's good to know. Uh, the part about Ace not being volatile, that is. Terrible, terrible that Crimson would try to usurp the park against itself. Terrible. smiling lightly, he glanced between the two, unsure how to proceed.

Well, I, hm.. he paused awkwardly, unsure how to continue. Idle chatter was harder then it looked. He already did his rounds of the day, and had no excuses to just break off the conversation, not that he really wanted to. Both Kes and Hia seemed so nice.

Well, call me a stickler for a good story and a nosy sonovasomething, but I can't help but ask... You two, could you tell me about yourselves? How did you end up here? Born and raised? Or wandered in, like I did.

Edited by Ælex

Kestra~

"Tell you about ourselves? Well, uh, I'm not much of a storyteller." The silvery wolf looked around, caught off guard.

"Silly. Well, I can't say too much because I'm paranoid someone'll use it against me, but yes, we did come in.

Kes, our late brother Toran, and I left our parents a long time ago. At about four months of age the three of us left to go search for a pack to stay at, our parents were loners.

After a year of wandering we found this pack, a few months before the winter that took the lives of our old leaders, Alice and Shadow. That cold winter took our brother as well.

And about 7 months after, around the time I stopped grieving over Toran, my love Hachi, bless him, asked to be my mate, and Kestra got promoted to Beta. And now I'm pregnant and Kes is Beta female," Hiera finished.

Kestra just sat, a stunned expression on her face. She had just relived those events in her mind and was just staring blankly into space now. "..."

Sounds like things started out really badly for you. Ashur said sympathetically. Although he knew not of what it was to lose a loved one, seeing as he'd abandoned his own by his own volition, he still figured it wasn't something to be happy about.

But it's like my father used to say, "Once you hit rock bottom, the only place left to go is up." You two are living proof that he was right. he added warmly, glancing between the two.

Congratulations, Hia. I'm sure you and Hachi will make fine parents. and though the sentiment was honest, Ashur couldn't help but wonder why Ace was allowing it to happen in the first place. Then again, it wasn't his place to judge or question.

Well, I wouldn't use what you've shared against you. But you're right to be cautious. Especially with deviants like that Crimson around. Still, I suppose it can't be helped. In times of plenty, anyone would think they could do better, instead of appreciate the little thing they already ha.. have. Hm... he trailed off, raised his nose in the air and took a nice long sniff. For a brief moment there, Ashur could have sworn he picked up something. But he quickly dismissed it. He checked the parameter already. There was no conceivable way anyone would have wandered in so far so quickly.

Hm, nothing. Nevermind. Uhh, you okay there? he arced an eyebrow and waved a paw in front of Kestra's face.

Edited by Ælex

TORBJORN

Red would probably be unimpressed if their group didn't catch anything, even for a little pup. He didn't know her well, but he didn't pin her as the type to be soft when there were bigger things at stake. The cinnamon-and-gray wolf glanced at the rest of their little group. Three wolves wouldn't be enough for a bull elk, that was for bloody sure. Four maybe, but if Avion was taking the pup back to camp--which he likely would be, given Tor and Blake's apparent aggrement on the matter.

"Avion, run and take the little thing to camp. I'm sure Hiera would welcome it." Tor growled. "Blake,I posit we go after a smaller, weaker herd member. The other hunting party was likely luckier than we," Torbjorn growled softly, his breath puffing before him in clouds.

Kestra and Hiera Marinau~

The silver Beta Female sat there stupidly for a split second until she nodded and looked at Ashur. "Huh, what? Yeah, why?" She asked, oblivious to her flashback. "I'm good, I'm good. Stop looking at me like that, Hiera Marinau." Kestra glanced from Ashur to Hiera, both who were giving her worried and confused looks. "Mmm, I think Harmony and Max may be coming back, I can smell fish," Hia commented. Kestra rolled her eyes at her sister.

((Alex, the wolves have no scent(apparently) if that's what you're referring to.

Yay, surname decided!))

Blake, subordinate

"Not that bad idea, Tor..." Blake stopped and smiled after Torbjorn proposed his idea. "At least one of them thinks..." he thought. To be honest, that was the only thing they would do. With 3 wolves hunting they didn't have chance to bring down a big, healthy bull - even though it would be excellent for everyone.

"Okay then, Tor, get on position. Avion, get going. Aurora, come with me, you'll help me bring the elk down. Move!" The black wolf growled silently but with a power in his voice and soon everyone was doing their thing. Yes... It started. The hunt finally started.

((Actually. I spoke with Brotato over ICQ. I'm leading up to something. Now if only the person who plays Crimson would return, I can execute it.))

No, it's not the fish... thought Ashur, though decided against dwelling on the matter.

Well, delightful getting to meet you lovely ladies, but I'd better make a few more rounds through the parameter, wot. Mind the fish. Had a brother who once said he swallowed a fish bone. I asked him if he was choking, but he said he was serious. And then everyone started to laugh while others covered their faces with their paws, can't imagine why. he shrugged Anyway, off I go.

And off he went in a light run, towards what he thought was the origin of that strange aroma he'd just barely picked up on.

TORBJORN

Tor nodded and slunk around the herd in a wide arc, putting them between him and the clearing where they would make their kill. He kept to the bushes so that his darker pelt would be disguised by the patchy shadows and branches. The elk didn't seem to notice him, for which he was grateful. It made his job that much easier. Once in position he watched the elk for a moment. They all seemed reasonably healthy, and the smallest was about average size. It would be a difficult kill no matter what.

But then...there. He noticed one near the center of the group was thin, with an awkward lurching gait that suggested an injured limb, perhaps caused by a slip on the ice. A moment more of observation. Whatever the injury was--he suspected a torn muscle or tendon--had become infected, for the beast looked ill. Its eyes were dull and its nostrils oozed, and its pelt was dirtier than the others. It would not put up much of a fight. But first he had to break up the herd. That would be easy.

He let out a snarl and lunged for the herd. The elk raised their heads, initially confused before leaping headlong into a panic. Their instincts failed them and they broke apart. Suddenly Tor was standing in their midst, less than a wolf's length away from his prey. The sickly elk had not run, and now faced him nervously. He snarled, but the creature held its ground. He rushed at it and nipped at its hocks in an effort to get it moving toward the clearing. Now that he was close he could smell the illness on this animal. It would not come out of this hunt alive.

Harmony, Subordinate

Harmony frowned at Maxine, nudging the black female wolf's shoulder. I understand, but Ace is a sweetheart when he isn't stressed, we all know that. Maybe if you tell him about your feelings for him? The red wolf suggested with a small smile. She peered over the river once more, shifting slightly due to uncomfort. She feared falling into the river and never surfacing again, especially now in this cold weather. Trying to swim in cold water often made her weak and numb, and it never ended well. Upon hearing Bright star's voice, Harmony flinched, nearly toppling into the water. She quickly regained her balance, looking up at the other subordinate with round eyes.

G-Goodness you scared me! I'm fishing with Maxine, we're supposed to make this quick, Ace's orders. I'm sure you're help will be welcomed. The red wolf responded, her heart pounding in her chest, but it eventually slowed to a normal beat. She shifted so Bright star would have room on the safer bank to help fish, her golden gaze on the shimmer fish below her.

Nuntis, Subordinate

Nuntis, upon hearing Ace's sharp barks, grunted and awoke, her ears flat against her skull. There went the alpha, yapping out orders as usual. The golden wolf let out a soft growl, shifting from where she lay to look for Red and the gang. They weren't in their sleeping spots, to her surprise. Must be hunting or something. Whatever, I'll wait for them to return. The female wolf decided with a small yawn, her amber eyes revealing her exhaustion. Nuntis gazed outside of the den, her head resting on her soft paws once more. Was Ace going to trudge into the subordinate's den and try ordering her to work? Hah, he can try! I won't listen to that over-sized loud-mouth. He can just try to kick me out. Nuntis thought with a small smirk, quietly snorting in amusement. She let out another yawn before pulling her hind legs closer to her warm, fluffy body, an ear twitching as she watched the pack move around outside.

Maxine, Subordinate

"I guess I can try but I just get so nervous and shy when I'm about to go up to him," Max said in reply with a small nod to what Harmony had said to what she could try doing if she wanted to. She then went back to concentrating on the stream and the fish before catching another one after waiting a few minutes for it and before Bright star came up to them asking if he could help. She jumped a bit at his unexpected voice and was about to say something in reply to his question when Harmony ended up don't that instead. She had her attention go once more to the stream just as her friend did and as she waited for the new arrival to help when he decided to.

Edited by redfox

Blake, subordinate

Blake was waiting in a bush just on the edge of the clearing. Time was passing slowly - seconds seemed like minutes and he was getting more nervous and excited with every passed. Then, the elks started running away as Tor moved in to scare their prey. He focused on an injured one that couldn't run away after the predator lunged. Seeing this, Blake couldn't waste any time. Right after Tor immobilized the elk, the black wolf dashed out of his cover into the direction of his fellow. His prey didn't even notice him, as it was focused on fighting off the other attacker. He jumped at it from the side, which, because of the Blake's big size, musculature and momentum resulted in elk's fall. The wolf bit deep into the side of his prey, causing it severe pain. Now, someone just needed to act quick and finish it off.

((I leave it to you odd, use Aurora if you want :3))

((On it!))

TORBJORN (ft. Aurora)

The elk crashed to the ground with a terrified, pained bleat. It wriggled around beneath Blake in an effort to right itself. Tor snarled and fell on it beside the other wolf. He bit down hard into the creature's powerful haunches and held on. He saw the white blur that was Aurora leaping for its exposed throat. She weaved around its flailing limbs before sinking her teeth into its neck. The elk bleated again and again. After a few moments it grew quiet, and then fell back onto its side. The smell and taste of fresh blood overwhelmed Torbjorn's senses. The fur on the nape of his neck bristled and he began tearing at the freshly killed meat.

((Who.....? What have I missed here?!))

"Bye, Ashur," Kestra called as Hachi padded up to them. "Heya, girls. How are you, Kes?" he asked. Kestra grinned and nodded a bit. "I'm fine, or I think," she said, and then Hiera coughed. Not from awkwardness, but her throat felt dry. Immediately Hachi rushed to her side. "Are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with a thin strand of worry. Both girls rolled their eyes. "I'm fine, sweet, I'm just a bit thirsty. I'll go drink in a bit. Don't worry about me, you two."

Kestra immediately laughed, causing the snow-white wolf and his mate to stare at her, confused.

"Oh, it's just that I had a 'don't worry' conversation with Esko as we were coming back with our buck."

Hachi immediately understood, but Hiera was still lost on the joke. "Alright then," she said, still a tad confused.

"Well, I'm gonna go now, seems like you two could use some private time. See ya, sis!" Kestra called as she padded off.

((Edit: Ohhh, you just changed your profile picture.))

Edited by MyaMouse

((Dorchados is a pup that we found on while on the hunt))

Blake, subordinate

"That's what I call a job well done." Blake smiled after letting go of his bite. Blood was dripping from his mouth and he could feel a metallic taste harassing his taste buds - it was something he loved, his passion. "Well done y'all. Now, let's get this moving to the camp, I bet others are waiting for a meal." The black wolf instructed others, bit again to the body of the elk and started tearing it to get a taste of a fresh prey, just like Tor had already done.

Ashur followed his nose, leaving it to blindly lead him in the direction of the strange and alien scent's origin.

What was that smell? It was unlike anything he'd picked up before!

It smelled strange, musky, thick, despite being so faint. It smelled like fur and sweat, but unlike any other such scent he'd ever tracked before.

It smelled so bizarre, he had to know what it was, and step by step, he was getting closer and closer. he didn't even notice passing by the group that'd just managed to bring down an elk along the way, he just went on his merry way, nose firmly planted on the ground.

What was it?! Was it dangerous? Was it beneficial? A new animal to hunt, perhaps? Or was it a new species of bear invading their territory. It had to be known!

((Excuse the short post.))

TORBJORN

Tor tore open the elk's haunches, exposing the fresh meat to the freezing air. Steam rose off the corpse as the dead animal cooled. He ripped off a chunk of meat and began to gnaw, growling softly as he did so. The warm taste flooded his mouth, and he savored every moment of it. Having spent so long as a loner, he rarely had the opportunity to feast like this. Elk had a richer taste than deer or rabbit, and he'd have been lying if he said it wasn't his favorite. Once finished with his chunk he dove back in for more. The pack would have to wait, he decided. The hunt left him starving.