20mia08

Night Pack Roleplay

Maxine, Subordinate

Max heard what Ace said and just nodded, knowing that he wasn't expecting that sort of thing to have been said to him so she was okay with him not returning the feelings since he probably wasn't sure himself how he felt. She kept her attention on their surroundings and had that preoccupy her before she heard Ace's murmur of what was ahead. She slowed to be next to him when she caught the scent of the deer herd and was about to ask how they could go after them when Nyra did that. She didn't say anything and just let them figure it out and would just follow their lead when they went after them.

Deciding to toss the subject of Menemith and her offspring-to-be aside for now, Nashota idly replied: Between you and me, you're not really making much of an impression on anyone by just sitting in a corner, huddled up in your own bubble. Uncertain of what gregarious even meant, Nashota felt a bit irritated at the gap between her own limited vocabulary, and Dionne's expansive one. It had made speaking with her slightly difficult on several occasions, though deep down, she knew that her frustration was but primal jealousy. Who wouldn't want to use fancy words like that? After all, it was one of the things that made Dionne stand out, and a defining feature of her regal apparel. But hell, what do I know...

When the conversation turned back towards their sparring sessions with Nyra, Nashota's ears dipped lightly as a sense of shame overtook her. She definitely didn't like being patronized, and what Dionne was saying was borderline baby talk. Perhaps to someone with a deeper appreciation for effort would understand, but all the simple-minded Nashota ever cared for was end results. Having spent more time with their like-minded scout leader, and been kept at a distance by Dionne's reclusive lifestyle, it made perfect sense that nothing had changed for the brown-furred scout trainee. Yeah, sure she would. -she stated sceptically, sighed, then laid back down in her previous spot.

You two... -she started to say, huffed with frustration at the recollections of watching Dionne and Nyra spar. To Nashota, it was a thing of beauty. A perfect example of an immovable object facing off against an unstoppable force, in a way. Dionne, as the immovable object, always kept her cool, and used her head to make precise and calculated movements, both offensive and defensive, making her almost impossible to wear down, even for their scout leader. Nyra, as the unstoppable force, often forsook tactical fighting in favour of unshackling her physical pique through her unbridled rage, thus it seemed as if taking the damage her lack of attention to defence permitted, made her even more ferocious, rather then wearing her down. The two always sparred to a draw, as neither seemed either capable or willing to pin down and immobilize the other to win the spar. At times, Nashota wondered who would come out on top if the two ever fought to the death.

You're like black and white. Polar opposites, and yet you're practically friends. -she rolled her eyes- I don't understand how that works, but I'm always the one on the sidelines, watching, listening. She always treats you with greater respect than she does anyone else, aside from the alpha, I suppose. -she paused to consider whether or not to say the next thing. Was it really worth mentioning? Nashota was quite curious about it as well, so she decided to go for it. I've seen the way you look at her. I might be inexperienced, but I know that longing stare. You ain't fooling me. -she arced an eyebrow.

Edited by Brotato

dionne; scout

She tilted her head slightly, white ears pulled forward in a faintly puzzled expression. Didn't she just say that? Perhaps Nashota had tuned her out, or misheard, or misunderstood even. Dionne blinked a few times before dipping her muzzle forward in the affirmative. "Yes, it is a problem," she said quietly, glancing down at the ground. "I just-- I don't..." She fell silent for a moment as she struggled to verbalize the issue. Finally, she said, a hint of frustration at herself present in her voice, "I just don't know how. I haven't spoken to other wolves in years, much less made friendships the proper way. I don't know how to make an impression. Sometimes I feel like I can't even hold a conversation the right way." Dionne gave her head a shake. Even this conversation seemed to be going awry. She was not a wolf that gave up, but part of her almost wondered if loner life was better after all.

Dionne sighed softly. "What do you suggest? Any advice on how to 'make an impression'?" Given Nashota's observations on Dionne's lack of socialization, the white and gray female would have taken any tips on becoming better at the whole "getting to know others" thing.

As Nashota mentioned Nyra, Dionne relaxed slightly. Well, she wouldn't go so far as to say that Nyra respected her as much as Nashota said she did, though Dionne hoped it was true. Nyra was a hard one for Dionne to read, and she couldn't imagine beyond the sparring that the two of them were friends. Dionne was a bit of a limp noodle when it came to that particular interaction. They did work well together, like Nashota said, although it bothered Dionne slightly that the way the brown female phrased her comment sounded more like a criticism. She glanced up at Nashota, curious at her tone. Then, after a pause, the brown wolf's words froze Dionne in her place.

The skin under her white fur grew hot and pink. Dionne didn't stare that long, did she? Her mouth felt dry, and she looked quickly away from Nashota, unable to form an answer. "I-- I don't--" she started, flustered, but the defense fell flat. The carefully preserved nature of the scout seemed to shatter in her embarrassment. An awkward silence filled the void of words she couldn't bring herself to say. Finally, after a moment, she whined softly and closed her eyes. "Do you think she noticed? The last thing I need is for my scout leader to act strangely around me."

A sly grin crossed the brown wolf's face at the sight of her usually stern-faced companion getting flustered. Nyra? Hah! Not a chance. The only way our illustrious scout leader would notice anything related to feelings is if you whack her across the head with it. -Nashota jested, holding back a gout of laughs as she did. That's another thing you two have in common. Emotionally shut-in, one hiding behind her insecurities, the other behind... well, I'm not really sure about Nyra. It's either insanity, or just numbness. Wiping the grin off her face, Nashota cleared her throat and tried to sound compassionate henceforth. I'm perceptive. Nyra, not so much. You have nothing to worry about. Besides, even if she did find out, so what? What's the worst that could happen? If you ask me, you need to stop worrying about what the others might think of you, because at this point you're just forcing them to think nothing by bottling yourself up like this. -she paused, considering whether or not to share her line of reasoning, as it did involve some personal experiences she wasn't too open about. At this point, it did seem necessary, if Nashota had any hope to even slightly convince Dionne to step out of the shadows.

You see, I started my life as a loner with nothing. Not food, nor friends, nor any clue of my location, not even memories of my own family, or anyone. I had nothing, I was as close to absolutely isolated as it can get. -she explained, recalling those past experiences as her tone got more and more somber- Being all alone, having no one to speak to, or even to think about, that hurts in ways I can't even describe. To add to that, what was worse, was the feeling of abandonment, you know? I knew what a family was, and I knew that a real family would leave no one behind. So I was left eternally wondering, why is it that they abandoned me? And if they didn't, then what happened to them? -she left out the details of her temporary pursuit of them, as they seemed irrelevant- This is why I've made it my business to make contacts here, to have wolves I could possibly rely on if things ever go to hell for me. I never want to go back to the way I started out, and I never will. -she stated firmly, then looked out towards the cave entrance- That's what being in a pack means to me, and I think it's something of value. But if you stay in the shadows like you do, then not many wolves will think of you, or remember you in the end. The only advice I can give you, is to just try and be more talkative and less concerned with what others might think, because the worst thing they could think is nothing. You'll find it much easier then it seems, I promise. -she looked back at Dionne- Hell, we've been having a pretty lengthy conversation, if you haven't noticed. Why not just do the same with others?

Edited by Brotato

Ace, Alpha

Ace was completely calm and at ease until Nyra mentioned that she had to deal with something. Was there a trespasser that hadn't been detected earlier? It must've been, as Nyra then mentioned having to discipline one of her scouts, so the alpha gave the female wolf a small dip of his head. He trusted her, and believed that she would handle the situation. Ace then shifted his focus back to the hunt, angling his ears towards the small herd of deer as he thought up a plan. ...I trust that you will handle that issue, Nyra. Now, as for the hunt...Due to our small patrol, we won't have too much luck, so if we try to split up the herd and each focus on a different deer, we won't catch anything. We'll aim for the biggest, preferably the herd leader, that way the herd will be driven into confusion. The herd leader usually has the most meat on him as well, and our pack will appreciate that. The alpha paused, his ears angling back towards Nyra and Maxine, expecting them to be listening as he rambled on about his little plan.

...We'll need to pick this leader out first, I'm pretty sure it'll be a buck, they usually are. After we find him, we'll move closer to him to cut our distance, so long as we're still down wind. Once we're positioned, I'll give the order to attack. Nyra, being a scout leader who scouts our land daily, I expect you to be the fastest, so you'll probably get to him first. I need you to aim for his legs, slow him down so Maxine and I can finish him. Understood? The silver-flecked wolf finished with a curt nod, awaiting the responses of his fellow packmates. His little speech took quite a bit of breath, but the alpha was still ready. He planned on his pack being well-fed tonight, as there were quite a few pups on the way, and his pack had grown to a fairly large size. Then, a thought came across his mind...Was this terrible winter and the lack of prey really starving his pack, or was it simply the pack's large size?

((Gonna take a miracle to get the entire gang back together now. sad.gif ))

What? The... fastest? -Nyra arced an eyebrow. The alpha's statement was definitely not the case. Nyra was a brawler, through and through. Her strength lied in her brutality and tenacity, not in speed or agility. She felt it necessary to correct him, but for some reason Ace's statement struck her as more of a challenge, than a false impression. One thing was perfectly clear though, Ace knew very little about one of his own leading subordinates. Perhaps it was about time to change that. But for now, Nyra accepted the statement for what it was, and intended to give it her best to prove Ace right. Honesty, however, had to be maintained. If Nyra didn't live up to that expectation, ace would need to know why.

Not to disappoint, but I just give the scouts their orders. They only do quick territorial surveillance most of the time, and then I crack skulls and break legs in the most dangerous areas where sightings of, and encounters with aggressive intruders have been confirmed, sir. But if you insist... -she paused to consider her plan of attack- Yes, leg-breaking is something I'm good at. -she commented idly, already picturing the spot she'd aim for to bring down her now different, cowardly but delicious opponent.

Edited by Brotato

((I'll message everyone tomorrow, today was an extremely busy day for me. I'll try getting started today, though some users may be inactive for all I know.))

Ace, Alpha

Ace ducked his head in embarrassment, flattening his ears slightly as he realized his mistake. Just what was he thinking? Had he been distracted, and by what? The alpha shifted his amber gaze back to Nyra, giving her a quick nod. U-Um, yes, my apologizes, even we alphas make mistakes. I'm just a little hungry and excited to take down a deer, I haven't been out in awhile.

He apologized quickly, moving his gaze to Maxine. You two'll switch positions and we'll change the plan a bit; Maxine will probably arrive first, and Nyra will do her best to keep close to her. Maxine will slow it down by biting its legs, and Nyra, you'll do the leg-breaking, since you're good at it- Pausing, the wolf twitched his whiskers in amusement, something he didn't do too often anymore. Things were getting serious, too serious for his liking. -...Once you two slow him down, I'll join in to finish taking him out. If we're quick enough, we can try for another deer with the same plan, since the herd will be at loss when their leader's taken down. Ace finished with a curt nod, pricking his ears to listen to the responses of the two female wolves.

Maxine, Subordinate

Maxine nodded to everything that Ace said as well as Nyra before hearing the updated plan. She nodded again but in understanding this time and moved a bit from both of them so that she would have enough room to go after the leader once they had singled him out by sight.

"Are we to start that now or wait until we know for sure which buck's the leader?" she asked softly so as not to startle the deer that were grazing in front of them. She had also made sure to stay downwind from the herd so that they wouldn't be keen on their presence and start to run away. That would be bad if they did that before they even had a chance to catch a few to bring back to the pack.

Arcing an eyebrow at Ace's suddenly softened demeanor, Nyra found it odd for him to be so meek, even about something so inconsequential. The change of plans wasn't even that substantial either. What the hell was bothering him all of a sudden? She made a mental note to possibly address this later. As for now, they had a hunt to get to, and all this talking and no action was wearing on Nyra's nerves. At this rate, the herd would pick up on them, scents or no scents.

That one. -she indicated the largest looking buck- We're not after the leader, we're after the fattest one of em, and that one has the most on him. Leader or not, he's the nightpack's dinner. -she spoke quietly- I'll circle around and push him and his group towards you two. Just like Ace said, once they're close enough, you rush out and give it a good chomp to slow it down, or even better, topple it. Then the two of us will come in to finish... -she stopped mid-sentence when she sensed the wind change direction, now working against them. There was no time left to waste, so Nyra quietly crept away, disappearing into the white of the snow, just as several of the deer within the herd started raising their heads and looking around cautiously, likely sensing the scents of their stalkers.

Moments later, when the herd almost fully on alert, Nyra lunged out of her hiding spot, a short distance away, cutting right into the herd, aiming for the buck she'd spoken of. The animals dispersed, each and every one trying to run away from the immediate danger! Just as she reached the buck in question, it surprisingly didn't try to flee, but reared up and bellowed loudly. Chaos ensued as the herd scrambled for safety, as the mass of animals kicked up a storm left and right, trying to get to safety.

In an instant, the chaos was over, as most the deer scrambled away into the woods. With the scene clear, the buck was once again within view, trying to run away, headed straight for Ace and Maxine, limping slightly and bleeding from its hind left leg. Nyra however, was out of sight.

Edited by Brotato

((Going to wait for Red to post first, since Maxine's supposed to attack before Ace))

Nuntis, Subordinate

The golden female wolf sat in the subordinate's den, her head resting on her crossed paws as she glared outside. Ears flattened, Nuntis cursed quietly to herself. There's so many Ace followers that it's sickening! It's like a plaque. She thought crossly, rising to her long legs before making her way to the center of the cave, where few wolves chatted among themselves in soft whispers. The subordinate stretched out her legs before sitting down, angling her ears towards a few herbalists, one of them in particular being Moyo. Red has followers in just about every high rank except the betas and herbalists...There's no way I could get the betas to turn on Ace, but the herbalists should be a piece of elk. Clearing her throat and putting on a warm smile, the golden wolf approached the small group of herbalists, shifting her dark eyes to Moyo.

...Seems like a pretty nice day, yes? Time to start with small talk. If she could win Moyo over as a friend, she could easily make her convert into a Red follower. Nuntis seated herself, letting her shoulders relax to show that she meant nothing but peace. The wolf then raised a hind leg, letting it beat against an ear as she got rid of an itch. Nuntis then raised her head once more, letting her leg settle onto the ground as she awaited Moyo's response to her warm greeting.

((I'm just gonna... pop in, just... really randomly.))

Softwing | Mother|

Softwing laid down quietly with no words. Her pups were coming soon, and she was off duties. But nowadays, there was nothing exciting to her. Other then the fact that Crimson and Ace were against each other, there was really nothing. Her eyes passed over the other wolves nearby then rested on the ground. Her brown fur was slightly tangled and kept getting thrown around by wind. By that time, the brown wolf missed her mate. He had been killed by a cause only some wolves know.

Softwing hoped nobody knew she was on Ace's side. Sure, she though Ace was the right leader, but the Crimson followers obviously wouldn't approve. There would be a chance that she would end up getting killed by them. And she could tell that the Crimson followers would be converting more soon. The brown wolf let out a deep breath and rested her head on her paws.

Avion, subordinate

Resting on his side, the mud-colored subordinate almost longingly gazed outside of the cave. It was quite boring and lonely inside of the subordinate's den, especially when their was no food. Ugh, Ace better return soon, or I'll have to beat him up. Avion thought jokingly, rolling onto his stomach as he crossed his front legs. Of course, the wolf couldn't really beat up his alpha, as least he never tried, and he didn't want to either. Ace was his best friend, and the only wolves Avion would be beating up was Crimson and her grunts. I'm hungry, so hungry...Hurry up, Ace! Avion flattened his ears, deciding to would be best to get his mind off of the food. With a soft huff, the subordinate heaved himself to his paws, shaking dust from his fur before trotting into the center of camp. His glare fell onto Nuntis, forcing his hackles flat as he watched the golden wolf try to blab to a healer and win her onto Crimson's side.

Keep walking, Avion, keep walking...Ignore Nuntis, some wolf will nip her nose of someday...Hopefully that wolf will be me. Swallowing an annoyed growl, Avion turned away from Nuntis, his dark eyes revealing his irritation as he settled down by himself in a corner. The wolf shifted his body slightly, allowing his foot to beat against his side before settling his leg on the ground, satisfied when the faint itch vanished. Hunger forced his stomach to cry out, making the subordinate duck his head in embarrassment.

Moyo, Herbalist

Moyo glanced at Nuntis Hmmm, look who it is. Ah well, might as well see what she wants "I suppose so, or as nice as the days come in this harsh place" Moyo snorted and continued "Cold can often be rather dangerous, it can chill and wither limbs until they fall off. I'm working on a remedy, though I haven't had to test it yet, thankfully" Moyo got up and stretched, shaking off stray bits of dirt.

She might be up to something... Never really know who to trust until you get to know them. But I'll give her a chance, she could just want a good conversation "I've heard tell of animals who sleep through the winter, using stored fat to keep themselves alive. Problem is, since all that fat is gone in the spring, they need to gather plenty of food. If wolves did that, any meat we gathered would have rotted by the spring. Perhaps it is for the best that we must endure this harsh season" Moyo idly grabbed some herbs from a small pile and began examining them.

Arcing an eyebrow at Ace's suddenly softened demeanor, Nyra found it odd for him to be so meek, even about something so inconsequential. The change of plans wasn't even that substantial either. What the hell was bothering him all of a sudden? She made a mental note to possibly address this later. As for now, they had a hunt to get to, and all this talking and no action was wearing on Nyra's nerves. At this rate, the herd would pick up on them, scents or no scents.

That one. -she indicated the largest looking buck- We're not after the leader, we're after the fattest one of em, and that one has the most on him. Leader or not, he's the nightpack's dinner. -she spoke quietly- I'll circle around and push him and his group towards you two. Just like Ace said, once they're close enough, you rush out and give it a good chomp to slow it down, or even better, topple it. Then the two of us will come in to finish... -she stopped mid-sentence when she sensed the wind change direction, now working against them. There was no time left to waste, so Nyra quietly crept away, disappearing into the white of the snow, just as several of the deer within the herd started raising their heads and looking around cautiously, likely sensing the scents of their stalkers.

Moments later, when the herd almost fully on alert, Nyra lunged out of her hiding spot, a short distance away, cutting right into the herd, aiming for the buck she'd spoken of. The animals dispersed, each and every one trying to run away from the immediate danger! Just as she reached the buck in question, it surprisingly didn't try to flee, but reared up and bellowed loudly. Chaos ensued as the herd scrambled for safety, as the mass of animals kicked up a storm left and right, trying to get to safety.

In an instant, the chaos was over, as most the deer scrambled away into the woods. With the scene clear, the buck was once again within view, trying to run away, headed straight for Ace and Maxine, limping slightly and bleeding from its hind left leg. Nyra however, was out of sight.

Maxine, Subordinate

Max nodded in reply to everything that Nyra said and also in understanding as well before watching as the lead scout quickly made her move after the wind shifted a bit. She was a little impressed as she seemed to blend in with the snow before heading towards the herd from a different direction to catch their prey off-guard before the buck that was their target started to come straight towards them with a limp and bleeding back leg. She made her move then, nipping at the injured leg to make it even more weak than it already was and then knocked it off its balance so that it could fall and Ace could finish it off. As soon as it did fall onto the snowy ground and tried to get up again, she waited for Ace to make the final blow as was discussed just moments earlier. She would have gone ahead to do that but that wasn't her place to do so.

((I apologize for my late reply. work was busy last week and this weekend was also slightly busy with my sister being in town for Father's Day and me helping put together today's lunch for a cook-out at the lake that happened earlier today))

Edited by redfox

Hiera's breath caught as she spotted Nuntis sauntering over to Moyo. Moyo could normally handle herself, but Nuntis was a tricky one, and she would probably be the only one who could capture Moyo and make her switch sides. She frowned, and deciding to halt her search for a bit so she could protect Moyo in case Nuntis's tricks worked. She sauntered up cooly, as if she was only showing up to help the other healers. "Oh, hey, Nuntis!" she said, strolling past the subordinate. "Need any help, Moyo?"

((Also, I edited for Kes and Hach to be in the Beta den.))

Ace, Alpha

The alpha kept a firm crouch position as he waited for his packmates to take down the buck, watching them closely as they nipped at the quadruped's lissome legs. With a pleased smirk, Ace watched as the wounded creature limped near, Ace remaining still as Maxine took off to do her part. Trusting the black wolf to do her part, the alpha blinked in surprise, his amber gaze scanning the snow as he searched for Nyra. Where had she gone to? She's probably after the rest of the herd, trying to see if she can nip at any stragglers. I'll finish things up here with Maxine, and then we'll head after the herd, see if we can find Nyra. His muscles tensing, the alpha watched as Maxine did her part, and heartbeats later, Ace sprung from his hiding place and darted for the buck, baring his fangs as it attempted to rise to its hooves once more. Not letting it get a chance, the black-and-silver wolf buried his fangs into its neck, listening as it let out a cry of pain. It's cry grew more and more silent, until it made not a sound, going limp in the wolf's strong jaws.

...Excellent, our pack will be pleased to see us returning with this buck. I can't find Nyra, but I'm guessing she went after the herd to catch some stragglers or injure them. I'll take off after them, you watch our meal. I don't want any lone wolves snatching our wonderful catch. Ace ordered with a small nod, licking the blood from his muzzle before raising his nose into the air, breathing in the fresh scent of deer. Turning, Ace took off after the sylphlike creatures, his nose guiding him as his paws thundered against the powdery snow.

((Will reply with Nuntis after someone else posts, I want to spread out my replies to boost the activity))

Meanwhile, a short run's distance from Ace and Maxine, just beyond the pack's borders, Nyra had caught up to, and pinned down an intruder. The wolf in question was grey-furred and relatively young, early in his prime. The two struggled for a while, until Nyra had finally managed to lock her jaws around his neck, signaling her intention to end his life, should he refuse to cooperate. At the sensation of Nyra's fangs pressing against the delicate flesh and bone at the back of his throat, he immediately froze up, and started pleading.

"I give, I give! Please!" -he begged, only to grunt in displeasure as his white-furred attacker slowly removed her jaws from his neck. One wrong move, and I fold you six ways so not even your mother can recognise your mangled remnants of a corpse. -she snarled, before leaning down, and softly whispering into the grey furred one's ear- So please, please disobey. -a droplet of blood rolled down Nyra's nose, and landed in front of the grey one's eye, before Nyra backed away. She'd been hit hard right in the head due to fumbling her attack on her hunting party's buck earlier. Her right eye was severely bloodshot, her jaw hurt like hell, two of her teeth were ready to come out, her ears were ringing and dizziness was setting in, but thankfully, she had not blacked out.

Removing herself from the intruder, Nyra pressed his head down with one paw, but otherwise allowed him to remain unrestrained and motionless, lying stomach-down on the ground. Let's have us a little chat about that scent mark you left on our territory, shall we?

"I've nothing to say to you. I didn't think... I didn't know..." -he paused, letting off another low whine- "Please let me go."

Really, you wandered into marked territory, and started leaving your putrid stink on it as if you owned it. And this is the best you can come up with. -Nyra rolled her eyes, and started growling, pressing her captive's head harder into the snow, as if threatening to bury it under there- You're this close from becoming a spongy puddle of bloody pulp, now try that again. I'll even specify for you. Who sent you here?!

The grey whined, then hesitantly replied: "Lucky, my name is Lucky. I was scouting f-for the most fertile spots to hunt in... a-and you know, you know who sent me." -he paused- "You, you should remember."

The scout leader's scowl deepened as the realization hit her. That scent she'd picked up earlier did seem familiar, and now she understood why.

A loud sigh escaped the albino, this was bad in more ways than she cared to deal with.

I can't believe this. -she snarled and removed her paw from Lucky's head, and started pacing around. Groaning in discontent, she rubbed her jaw with one paw for a moment, before spitting out a shattered tooth, followed by a bout of muttered profanity. Lucky simply remained motionless, as instructed.

Edited by Brotato

Maxine, Subordinate

Maxine watched as Ace took it the buck down and finished it off with one strong bite to the neck before hearing what he said after he stepped back from the carcass.

"I'll do that. You can count on me," she said in reply with a nod before moving to stand next to the dead buck that was the pack's breakfast/lunch/dinner before he headed off towards the rest of the herd that had run off. As he did that she, too wondered where Nyra had gone after she had done her part and figured it was just as Ace had said; she had gone off towards the rest of the herd to try to get another catch for the pack to keep it fed and healthy. She hoped that she hadn't wandered off and done something else but it wasn't her place to bring up her doubt of their packmate was really doing. She then just sighed and forgot all about it as she guarded their catch so that no other wolf would come by and take it.

craven; pup

By the time Craven had caught onto the scent of deer, he had forgotten entirely about his instructions to find the flower. Besides, Morte could wait-- Craven had a responsibility to feed the pack, like everyone else! He would show Red, and even Ace, just how great of a hunter he could be.

The pup's large ears bounced as he trotted through the undergrowth of the forest. Despite nearing adulthood in a mere three months, he was a lanky thing that looked more rabbit with long legs and fat paws than he did a wolf. His golden fur stood out quite well against the snow-laden rocks and leaf-bare branches. Of course, despite his efforts to keep his pawsteps quiet, he still stuck out sorely as he ventured.

The scent trail of the deer led into a large clearing, and he stopped just short of sticking his nose out of the bush when he saw the prey mingling together. Several does and a couple bucks stood around, snuffling at the snow to uncover shoots of grass, or tearing at whatever bark remained on the tree trunks. Craven's big ears swung upward and his stomach rumbled. Here was his chance! They didn't look so big. Craven could rush the one on the right that was lying down....

To his surprise, a different smell, a familiar smell, caught his attention. Turning his nose slightly, he peered closer to the surrounding tree line, and was startled to discover the outline of wolves hiding in the shadows. He stared at them wide-eyed from his bush. All of a sudden, the white one lunged from the trees and the deer scattered in a frenzy of fear and confusion. Craven watched, awestruck, as she chased after one of the bucks, only to have it turn on her within a split second. He could barely even keep up with what was happening, that it was only a few seconds later that Ace and Maxine leapt from their hiding spot to finish off the buck. At the sight of the Alpha, Craven crouched low to the ground, his ears folded back again. He didn't want Ace to see him, especially not after they had killed the prey Craven was meaning to take down on his own. That would just be embarrassing.

A moment later, Craven noticed the absence of the white wolf-- the one with the red eyes that frankly terrified him more than Ace did-- and felt curiosity take root. Slowly, he extracted himself from the bush (and felt slight pride at himself for how stealthily he managed to do so) and with his nose to the ground, quietly tracked his way around the clearing to the area where he last saw the albino scout. He couldn't help but give a small snort of pleasure when he discovered a pawprint fresh with her scent, and took off like a golden arrow after her.

He heard voices before he saw either of them. Craven crept closer to the source, his belly to the ground, and strained his large ears forward to listen. Someone was getting their tail handed to them, he realized. Nyra's angry "Who sent you here?" was enough to verify that. Then, the ominous answer made the young wolf frown and tilt his head in confusion. Something strange was happening here, and it had something more to do than just a random rogue marking the Night Pack's territory. Red would set him straight, Craven thought, giving his little tail a small wag at the thought. Not that he didn't think Nyra wasn't capable-- she certainly proved to handle it quite well-- but Red didn't make the fur along Craven's backside fluff out like the albino did.

Craven crawled closer after the voices fell away for a moment. He didn't know how close he was, but the scent of blood was getting strong, and the newcomer's scent had hit him like that of a skunk. He wriggled his nose a little in protest as he slunk out from under a thorny bush...

...and right into Nyra's hind leg.

A small whine escaped him before he could stop it, and his ears folded back flat with a whispered, "Oops."

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Moyo, Herbalist

Moyo looked up from her herbs to see Hiera. "Ah, hello Heira, yes I could use some help with these herbs. I'm thinking of making a mixture to cure frostbite, but I can't decide whether I should use some barberries or aloe leaves" Moyo began turning over some of the herbs, running her tongue over a few.

Hmm...don't want Nuntis around for this "Nuntis, could you excuse us? We need to make sure this mixture will work, and it may get messy"

Edited by C88

Nuntis, Subordinate

Nuntis angled her ears towards Hiera as she approached, doing her best to keep her ears from flattening in anger. Of course, he she comes to ruin my plans. Those Ace followers should keep their noses in their own business! The subordinate forced her mouth shut, doing her best not to snap at the expecting wolf. If she left, Nuntis could easily win over Moyo, at least that was what she thought. The sly golden wolf had a way of words, she was quite talented at persuading others. Doing her best to keep her words gentle and warm, Nuntis responded to the two wolves,

hello Hiera. Well, I'll talk with you later, Moyo, perhaps I could help you gather some needed herbs, or be of any assistance later on once your finished? The subordinate flicked her long tail, certain that she could brainwash Moyo over a walk, if she agreed to allow Nuntis to help her gather herbs. Nuntis remained where she sat, awaiting Moyo's response with a rather patient look. Despite her hunger, she would wait as long as she had to to get Moyo to respond. The female wolf could feel Avion's sharp glare burning into her thick pelt, but she ignored him, concentrating on her current task. If he wanted to fight or argue, he'd just have to wait.

Ace, Alpha

The alpha's massive paws crunched in the snow as he trudged after the herd, his black ears pricked as he plowed through the precipitation. He paused, sniffing around in efforts to track Nyra, but failed. All he could detect was the strong, fresh scent of deer, which caused his stomach to cry out. Just where was Nyra? Perhaps she was taking a short cut? Ace was started to doubt that she had continued with the hunt. Suddenly, the dark-coated male recalled what Nyra mentioned earlier, something about having to deal with something, and having to discipline a scout later... It finally hit the wolf that his scout leader was actually taking care of some business. Should he intervene? He really didn't know, as it could be something personal. Turning on his heels, Ace headed back to where he came from, his brilliant amber orbs scanning the setting around him in case the "problem" had decided to attack the alpha. Ace scowled softly as he returned to Maxine and their catch, his ears flattened slightly.

Well, I was wrong, Nyra most certainly isn't hunting, at least prey. I believe she's wondered off to take care of some possible intruders. Ace rumbled with his eyes narrowed, sitting down beside the deer's body before studying it. Should he and Maxine return home with their catch? However, Ace didn't want Nyra to think they had gotten lost or attacked. He also didn't want to have the pack eat without her. Ace shuffled his paws slightly, removing his gaze from the deer and shifting it to the snow before his paws. ...Maybe we should go after her? She could be hurt, or in need of some help, I-I don't want her to get hurt... The alpha shook his head. Why should he care so much? Nyra could handle things herself, and he knew that. But where was this sudden care for the scout leader coming from?

Edited by 20mia08

"Please let me go." Whined Lucky, as Nyra continued pacing around. "If you kill me, you'll just make them angrier. Let me go and I might..." Might what? You're a lowlife, Lucky. You've got nothing to offer me. "But, no. I mean, I..." I know your bunch, all they'll understand is a merciless display of brute force, so give me one good reason not to make an example out of y... -she halted her snarling when she felt something bump into her leg. Looking down, her red eyes met with those of a young, lithe pup. It bore the scents of Nyra's pack, despite her not having spoken with the little imp before. How long had it been watching? Why was it here?! What was it doing beyond pack borders?! Inexperienced in dealing with infants, Nyra's first reaction was, ofcourse, to vent her anger and scold it for its transgressions. Before she could even get a word out, however, her attention was drawn back to her captive, Lucky.

"How about that, then?" -jested Lucky as a sly grin crossed his face as he stood up, suddenly looking far more confident.

The albino slowly looked back up, fuming with anger. She knew all too well what had just happened.

Were she on her own, she'd have gone ahead with her plan and maimed Lucky, but with this witness, a puppy no less, that was now out of the question. Wipe that smug grin off your face, before I wipe it off for you. -she snarled as she approached him menacingly.

"I'd like to see yo-"-an agonizing whine escaped the wolf when Nyra bit down right at the base of his tail, only to let go immediately. A red stain started to form at the spot where the male was bitten, as he continued to whine. You bloody runt! Did you forget what I did to your gluttonous pig of an alpha all that time ago?! Do you want that to happen to you?! DO YOU?!

"N-NO-NOnono! Not the tail! I'm sorry, I, please. He's gone, he bled out after you ripped his off! You have to believe me!"

A long sigh escaped the albino, as she settled down a bit after putting Lucky back in his place. "You didn't have to make him eat it too, you know."

I'm only going to say this once. Tell your putrid flea-bitten pack of murdering, thieving wastes of censorkip.gif ing space, that if any of them set foot on Night Pack Grounds again, I'M GONNA BRING MY NEW TEAM AND TEACH YOU ALL THE MEANING OF PAIN! Now PISS OFF! -she snarled and chomped a few times at Lucky to get him to run for his life, but didn't pursue him further than a few meters distance.

She stopped and trailed the wolf as he moved further and further away, until he disappeared. Turning around, she groaned in pain from her leg and head injury, before blinking a few times and looking back towards Craven. Back to camp, now. -and proceeded to unsteadily limp towards the Night Pack border.

Ace, Alpha

Rising to his sturdy paws once more, the alpha found himself pacing back and forth, frustrated. Stop caring, Ace! Nyra can handle things on her own, I'm absolutely certain! She's a strong and brave wolf, you selected her to be a scout leader for a reason. But... what if she was waiting for him? Waiting for his help, or waiting for him to order this intruder to run off... With a heavy sigh, Ace turned back to Maxine, his tail held low to show his not-so-good mood. He really didn't want to leave Maxine out here anymore, and for all he knew, there could be even more intruders, waiting for the alpha to leave the subordinate alone so they could tear into her. He wasn't going to let that happen. Besides, the poor wolf was probably getting bored and cold, so it was time she headed home.

...Ugh, as you can see, Maxine, I'm getting really frustrated here. Take our catch home, don't let a soul touch it until I return with Nyra. I'm going to fetch her, 'make sure everything's alright. With a small nod, Ace plowed through the forest and it's heavy snow once more, racing about until he detected the scent trail of Nyra. The dappled wolf slowed his pace to keep on the trail, his paws crunching in the snow as his nose twitched, his ears pricked as he paused to gaze around. He continued after Nyra, the large wolf quickening his pace as he neared the border. What was she doing? Ace suddenly froze as he felt his hackles raise, the scent of an intruder, as well as a pup, wafting past his nose. It was no use trying to hide and sneak up on this intruder who Nyra was confronting, especially since he stuck out in the snow like a sore thumb. Launching himself from where he stood, the alpha bared his fangs as he picked up the metallic scent of blood. He believed that Nyra easily kicked the wolf's tail, however, the presence of a pup worried him greatly. It was a Night Pack pup, from what he believed, as lone wolves didn't often wonder close to the pack's borders with a pup.

What's going on here?!

Maxine, Subordinate

Max waited patiently for Ace to return from going off to see if he could locate Nyra. She was getting a little cold by being there for that long, or at least her paws were but no way was she going to tell that to her alpha or complain about it when he got back. She was tempted to start pacing when he came back about 15 or so minutes later even though it felt more like an hour instead and the. She heard everything he said and asked.

"I'm sure she'll be just fine," she said before she watched him start to pace back and forth and easily seeing just how frustrated he was. She then listened to everything else he told her before nodding in reply about him wanting her to get back to the cave with the catch and then started to do what she was told after he took off in the direction that he had gone off in earlier.

Not two steps after telling Craven to move his little self back to the safety of the Night Pack's territory, Ace came into view and, as expected, loudly demanded an explanation. Still bleeding from her head injury and limping from her sprained ankle and sore muscles, Nyra was in no mood to talk about what had just transpired, and she wouldn't have, were it any other wolf demanding answers. Unfortunately for her, she had no choice in the matter, as she had to provide answers when demanded for such by her alpha. With a sigh, the albino quietly glanced between Craven and Ace, then gestured for them both to move with her, back towards the are where she expected to perhaps find Maxine.

I'm not sure how much of it you saw. -she started to speak, though a bit hesitantly- To recap, what happened was, I fumbled my attack when I went for the stag. I'm not sure what went wrong, I didn't make enough noise, or I didn't angle my approach well, I'm not sure, so it went to hell. -she paused to recall more vividly what had transpired, it all happened so quickly, that it was like a blur in her head.

I think... that after I had a good chomp at our dinner's leg, I think it managed to kick me in the head somehow. I lost it for a moment, but didn't black out, thankfully. When my vision re-sharpened and my ears mostly stopped ringing, I'm not sure how much time had passed, I assume it wasn't very long, as I could still sort of hear those blasted beasts bellowing for their herd to run away in the distance. -she paused once more and glanced back for a moment as they walked, as if checking for something, then resumed- I got back up, saw the intruder, chased him down and did my job. I actually have a lot to say about what I learned from him, I'm just not sure you want to hear it right now.

Edited by Brotato