TJ09

2015-02-01 - Raffle Update

I'd agree.

I don't think it's anything about "It's not possible" but much more about drawing the line somewhere to prevent something that may otherwise turn into a headache - especially with all the extra winners this year. I think with increasing the prize pool so exponentially, other perks in the past are no longer available simply due to the scale of the thing.

I'd agree with that. Add in the small glitch that happened and changing however many of 600 codes could end up being a nightmare.

well, my friend requested a code, and 4 of us watched her submit it, but TJ said that she requested a random code.

we feel like it's a glitch somehow.

she's not as gung-ho as I am, anyway, and this puts her right off.

for me, it's the 3rd strike. I mentioned earlier, any of my friends who won would have traded me - this year it's not allowed. plus, we intended to ask to a cb Soulpeace. also not allowed.

so, the code thing is the 3rd strike. takes the pleasure right out of the whole thing. yeah, sour grapes because she won, but geez, it's hard watching all the congrats for the codes when she couldn't get hers. we kind of wish she would have just refused the prize at this point and let someone get it later in a re-draw who might have been happier.

There was a glitch and TJ sent out a second email saying that it had been fixed and to submit it again to get confirmation. That's on your friend for not doing that.

Episode is Detour, fourth episode of season five.

*slinks back to her nerd corner*

Right after I wrote that first message, I popped "Detour" in. The nerd corner is a lovely place.

Its my day off, and I can watch X-Files and obsessively wait for my egg to hatch ... It has finally got a big hole in it.

Cool code people: are you gonna name them, or just let the code speak for itself?

There was a glitch and TJ sent out a second email saying that it had been fixed and to submit it again to get confirmation. That's on your friend for not doing that.

she looked and couldn't, even today it still says her preferences were saved. so don't tell me it's on her, because she did it right.

in fact, she didn't even know she won till she got the second email, so it probably had nothing at all to do with that glitch!

and does anyone know if the earthquake thing will kill one? she's considering using it to get it hatched so she can forget about it, and I'm begging her not to in case it kills it. I'm hopeful she'll come around and breed me eggs later. otherwise I have no chance to get any 2nd gen prize eggs.

Edited by daba555

Cool code people: are you gonna name them, or just let the code speak for itself?

I'm gonna name my dragon - I name ALL my dragons wub.gif

Probably to make sure that people aren't frequently changing their minds and poking him about it. The ones that are listed are special circumstances (save for hello, it looks like). I know I certainly wouldn't want to deal with possibly hundreds of users wanting to change their codes.

Well the reason my friend missed out on their code was because someone else also requested it. I saw them fill them fill the form in.(And to the person that said there was a glitch and it's on their friend for not re-doing it, I saw them re-do it.)

TJ could of easily emailed them and asked if they wanted a different code, it's not their fault at all that they missed out.

I mean, obviously the person who missed out would ask for another code right? So if he doesn't want people to ask to change the codes, don't just decide they miss out.

Also, for people that are thinking, "Just be happy you got the prize, who cares about the code?" I don't know about everyone else but the main reason I want to win the raffle is for a custom code.

she looked and couldn't, even today it still says her preferences were saved.  so don't tell me it's on her, because she did it right.

in fact, she didn't even know she won till she got the second email, so it probably had nothing at all to do with that glitch!

and does anyone know if the earthquake thing will kill one?  she's considering using it to get it hatched so she can forget about it, and I'm begging her not to in case it kills it.  I'm hopeful she'll come around and breed me eggs later.  otherwise I have no chance to get any 2nd gen prize eggs.

On her place I'd jus wait until the egg is down to 4 days then Incubate it

Edited by xX Blythe Xx

so why does TJ say that the codes can't be changed?

when it's right in the Wiki that it's been done?

If you think about it it was a change of egg, not a change of code entirely. The codes cannot be changed once the eggs are made. What happned there was a HM got upgraded and as such probably got the option to keep their code or change it, which they changed. The egg had not been generated and as such it was changed.

This time we're simply talking about eggs that are already generated and not being upgraded or changed for whatever reason. Once an egg is made it probably stays that way. Otherwise it could probably mess up data about the egg.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Well the reason my friend missed out on their code was because someone else also requested it. I saw them fill them fill the form in.(And to the person that said there was a glitch and it's on their friend for not re-doing it, I saw them re-do it.)

TJ could of easily emailed them and asked if they wanted a different code, it's not their fault at all that they missed out.

I mean, obviously the person who missed out would ask for another code right? So if he doesn't want people to ask to change the codes, don't just decide they miss out.

Also, for people that are thinking, "Just be happy you got the prize, who cares about the code?"  I don't know about everyone else but the main reason I want to win the raffle is for a custom code.

just a note: it did say on that page that if the code was already in existence, a random code would be assigned.

so we checked by doing the view thing. with both a capital first letter and all small and all caps, and there were no existing dragons already.

if she had requested a code already in use, it really would be in her, but we made sure she didn't do that.

FYI, this particular friend is my 82 year old mother who lives with us. so we help her a lot, and she pretty much never does anything (naming breeding, etc) without one of us. this time she had all 4.

If you think about it it was a change of egg, not a change of code entirely. The codes cannot be changed once the eggs are made. What happned there was a HM got upgraded and as such probably got the option to keep their code or change it, which they changed. The egg had not been generated and as such it was changed.

This time we're simply talking about eggs that are already generated and not being upgraded or changed for whatever reason. Once an egg is made it probably stays that way. Otherwise it could probably mess up data about the egg.

well, that makes more sense than anything else. thanks.

Edited by daba555

Also, for people that are thinking, "Just be happy you got the prize, who cares about the code?" I don't know about everyone else but the main reason I want to win the raffle is for a custom code.

You have to consider the amount of winners this year. we're talking about 600 winners. Thats 600 people he had to individually email. Now how many do you think asked for already existent codes, how many people asked for the same code unknowingly, who knows.

With that many people to contact one by one you have to understand that its not an easy task going through each choice and emailing again "Hey this is taken, wanna pick something else." On top of that, do you know how long it would take to even get the eggs out while he waited on people to respond to "Hey pick another code"? Yeah, so please be considerate. TJ is not a robot and is only human so calm down please.

she looked and couldn't, even today it still says her preferences were saved. so don't tell me it's on her, because she did it right.

and does anyone know if the earthquake thing will kill one? she's considering using it to get it hatched so she can forget about it, and I'm begging her not to in case it kills it. I'm hopeful she'll come around and breed me eggs later. otherwise I have no chance to get any 2nd gen prize eggs.

Its protected from sickness. Just incubate and influence, stick it in a hatchery or two, and ignore it till its adult. Its not going to die, and it doesn't need babysitting (not with hatcheries hopping like they are!). So I don't know why she feels she needs to watch it?

Cheers!

C4.

just a note: it did say on that page that if the code was already in existence, a random code would be assigned.

so we checked by doing the view thing. with both a capital first letter and all small and all caps, and there were no existing dragons already.

if she had requested a code already in use, it really would be in her, but we made sure she didn't do that.

FYI, this particular friend is my 82 year old mother who lives with us. so we help her a lot, and she pretty much never does anything (naming breeding, etc) without one of us. this time she had all 4.

We checked too and no one had the code. Another prize winner this year requested it and I guess their egg was made first? It's unfair for my friend and your mum. sad.gif

And honestly, if it were a personal mistake, we'd have less people reporting that it happened to them, I think. Like I said, I asked twice before to change my saved prefs and once after the eggs were issued to change my code. I think the whole thing was just a bit glitchy this year.

Not just glitchy, overwhelming. People need to consider we had 600 winners. Thats a lot of people TJ had to individually contact. So please be considerate everyone. TJ is only human and people will be missed when you have 600 preference emails coming in and you need to start setting up the codes and such for the eggs as they arrive and all. Its not an easy task to deal personally and individually with each email. He is not a machine that does this automatically, so everyone needs to remember humans make mistakes and as such people will be missed and routes to make things quicker and more convenient will be taken.

Not just glitchy, overwhelming. People need to consider we had 600 winners. Thats a lot of people TJ had to individually contact. So please be considerate everyone. TJ is only human and people will be missed when you have 600 preference emails coming in and you need to start setting up the codes and such for the eggs as they arrive and all. Its not an easy task to deal personally and individually with each email. He is not a machine that does this automatically, so everyone needs to remember humans make mistakes and as such people will be missed and routes to make things quicker and more convenient will be taken.

Erm...

I'd just like to point out that TJ is well versed in coding and perfectly capable of setting up a mailing list. Saying that he individually emailed everyone personally is... Well, I can guarantee with confidence that that did not happen.

Coding site-wise? That's different. But mass emails are easy. It's quite possible that since the site records how many tickets everyone has, it could easily be coded to do the selection, align a list with email addresses of the winners (because it's the site email that is used), and set the raffle code to only work for scrolls on the list. That part is easy, and it doesn't matter if there's 6 or 600 people. Sending 600 emails will take a bit more time even automated due to network and computer constraints, sure, but nobody has to send them personally.

Erm...

I'd just like to point out that TJ is well versed in coding and perfectly capable of setting up a mailing list. Saying that he individually emailed everyone personally is... Well, I can guarantee with confidence that that did not happen.

Coding site-wise? That's different. But mass emails are easy. It's quite possible that since the site records how many tickets everyone has, it could easily be coded to do the selection, align a list with email addresses of the winners (because it's the site email that is used), and set the raffle code to only work for scrolls on the list. That part is easy, and it doesn't matter if there's 6 or 600 people. Sending 600 emails will take a bit more time even automated due to network and computer constraints, sure, but nobody has to send them personally.

Update 01-18: All prize e-mails are in the process of being sent out. They will be delivered over the course of the next several hours (as it turns out, sending out hundreds of e-mails at once tends to raise flags).

No he sent them out individually or at least mostly seeing as he couldnt mass send them. His emailing program would have had to send them each out one by one, and he would have had to still check them one by one.

I've got ten sites that I'm using right now. Let me know if you want them, or if anyone else wants access for their new babies.

Yes that would be great thank you!

You have to consider the amount of winners this year. we're talking about 600 winners. Thats 600 people he had to individually email. Now how many do you think asked for already existent codes, how many people asked for the same code unknowingly, who knows.

With that many people to contact one by one you have to understand that its not an easy task going through each choice and emailing again "Hey this is taken, wanna pick something else." On top of that, do you know how long it would take to even get the eggs out while he waited on people to respond to "Hey pick another code"? Yeah, so please be considerate. TJ is not a robot and is only human so calm down please.

If people don't check that the code is taken, I agree that's on them. But if you check and it's not taken then it's not their fault. Why should this other person get the code when my friend misses out?

Also, I wasn't saying he had to do that, obviously. It was just an alternative to "Sorry your egg has been made already so the code can't be changed." Which everyone knows is a lie as it's been done before.

Its protected from sickness. Just incubate and influence, stick it in a hatchery or two, and ignore it till its adult. Its not going to die, and it doesn't need babysitting (not with hatcheries hopping like they are!). So I don't know why she feels she needs to watch it?

Cheers!

C4.

she just didn't want an egg on her scroll right now, because nothing she tried to breed bred right, either.

she knows it won't die or anything, I don't know what her reasoning is, really.

anyway, no sense to keep beating a dead horse. it is what it is, just not a happy-making moment in the caves, is all.

If people don't check that the code is taken, I agree that's on them. But if you check and it's not taken then it's not their fault. Why should this other person get the code when my friend misses out?

Also, I wasn't saying he had to do that, obviously. It was just an alternative to "Sorry your egg has been made already so the code can't be changed." Which everyone knows is a lie as it's been done before.

Its sadly of first come first serve. Your friend asked for it too late. I am sorry they missed out. Also it is not a lie. As I stated about the egg that had the GEODE code that got changed, the egg had not been generated. What happened there is that an HM got upgraded to prize winner before the egg could be generated and as such was given the option to keep the code they chose or change it, which was changed. Now we're talking about there was no upgrade or down grade, only choose your preference, and get your egg. As such there was no way of changing preference before the eggs were distributed.

Again, sorry you friend was too late for the code they wanted but that is something that happens.

TJ can change the rules as he sees fit. This year we had no HM but we had a huge increase of prizes.

As AnanoKimi pointed out several times, he has to deal with SIX HUNDRED winners, automated stuff or not. If he chose not to change codes for whatever reason, it is his site, his right.

Please stop complaining.

TJ told me it's not possible to change codes after the egg exists...

sad.gif Oh well then.

TJ can change the rules as he sees fit. This year we had no HM but we had a huge increase of prizes.

As AnanoKimi pointed out several times, he has to deal with SIX HUNDRED winners, automated stuff or not. If he chose not to change codes for whatever reason, it is his site, his right.

Please stop complaining.

True and... I might add that while having a custom code'd be TOTALLY awsome... I'd be over the moon just to HAVE a CB prize, randomized code like every other dragon or not.

Update 01-18: All prize e-mails are in the process of being sent out. They will be delivered over the course of the next several hours (as it turns out, sending out hundreds of e-mails at once tends to raise flags).

No he sent them out individually or at least mostly seeing as he couldnt mass send them. His emailing program would have had to send them each out one by one, and he would have had to still check them one by one.

Or just send them out in smaller batches of 20 or 30. Yes, takes a bit of time, but I highly doubt it'd take the huge amount of hours you're seeming to think...

The reason it probably took hours is because of a cool-down time or something between each wave of emails.... No he's not a robot, but he did take it upon himself rather than allowing a mod of some sort to help. Unless he expects his mods to fudge up the results in which case.. ouchy? Or maybe they don't have access to that kind of stuff. Fluff if I know. >_>

That being said... I dunno. If I won a prize and was unable to get my custom code, I'd be crushed. If it was my own fault, then I'd kick myself repeatedly and potentially just abandon it because I effed up and that'd just be a constant reminder. But if it was because someone else nabbed that code first or something glitched and I had screenshots of every step (because lets face it I'm paranoid about losing things like that) to show it was in no way my fault? Then I'd be down right censorkip.gif just like the others who are trying to change their code.

At the very least, the codes that are random because of some weird reason, whether a glitch or someone else took it, should have the option of 'killing' their egg, thus deleting it from the system, then having their 'new' egg appear with the redraws. If that's possible with coding. Obviously I have no idea of the site mechanics but in my brain that sounds like something that would work since then you technically are changing eggs... And I doubt anyone who wants a code change would put up a huge stink over having to wait a few more weeks if it meant getting the code they wanted...

600 winners is a good thing ye, but maybe there should be a '1st code preference,' '2nd code preference' in emails to try and not allow this to happen...

Please stop complaining.

Its mostly a matter of convenience. I'm sorry but I have 600 codes to generate and maybe 100 of them are repeats, I am not gonna sit here and start emailing 100 people "So your code got taken, wanna pick a new one?" Too much work, too much time eaten up, not worth the hassle. It is a shame that some people missed their codes, and I am sorry, but as users we have to consider that the owner of this site has to code and mostly go through all this work on his own. He doesn't have a team of coding monkeys with him. He does this solo from what I have seen and as such this must be taxing to him.

600 winners is a good thing ye, but maybe there should be a '1st code preference,' '2nd code preference' in emails to try and not allow this to happen...

As we are witnessing, the raffles are still evolving and as such maybe something like this will happen next year. Every year is some kind of improvement so we will see.