cyradis4

AP: 1 line of non-Holiday during Holidays

I don't see how your ability to gift through the departures thread is impacted by a row of non-holiday eggs in the AP. Aren't people using teleports in there ever since the get/CODE catching method has been disabled?

Apart from that little point, I pretty much agree with what you're saying, though.

Edited by olympe

I think she meant gifting nice stuff she grabbed and incu-hatched.

In my opinion, the biggest argument for this change is that it will prevent regular eggs from dying behind a holiday wall, which is a real problem in my opinion.

If the row of regular eggs doesn't do the trick, I wouldn't mind if holiday eggs were treated exactly like normal eggs and showed up in the AP only a few days after they were bred. Or if the timers on the eggs in the backlog were stopped during holiday breeding and they worked like the old AP did for that time.

I like the suggestion about one row of regular eggs best, but I'll support anything that stops the starving of AP-eggs behind the holiday wall.

Edited by Ha-Ki

I think she meant gifting nice stuff she grabbed and incu-hatched.

In my opinion, the biggest argument for this change is that it will prevent common eggs from dying behind a holiday wall, which is a real problem in my opinion.

If the row of regular eggs doesn't do the trick, I wouldn't mind if holiday eggs were treated exactly like normal eggs and showed up in the AP only a few days after they were bred. Or if the timers on the eggs in the backlog were stopped during holiday breeding and they worked like the old AP did for that time.

I like the suggestion about one row of regular eggs best, but I'll support anything that stops the starving of AP-eggs behind the holiday wall.

I'm fine with a row of non holiday eggs but NOT getting rid of the holiday wall - I spend many happy hours trawling that to find potential mates. With a wall, I can achieve a lot in an hour. Without - not so easy - and I BET some people would deliberately mass breed to make sure holiday eggs went way down the line, too. And then they might die instead...

In my opinion, the biggest argument for this change is that it will prevent common eggs from dying behind a holiday wall, which is a real problem in my opinion.

It's not only common eggs that get buried behind that wall. Any shiny that you happen to have bred to the AP for whatever reason dies just the same.

@fuzzbucket: With holiday eggs being treated like any other egg, they definitely wouldn't die. They would get picked up just like any other egg, after spending a day or two on the AP. The actual issue with getting rid of the holiday wall would be the trickling in of holidays, just like it happens nowadays when someone "massbreeds" shinies - they get picked up instantly, one by one, as soon as they show up. Not a lot of chance to choose ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

It's not only common eggs that get buried behind that wall. Any shiny that you happen to have bred to the AP for whatever reason dies just the same.

Yep, I meant regular eggs. Changed it.

@fuzzbucket: With holiday eggs being treated like any other egg, they definitely wouldn't die. They would get picked up just like any other egg, after spending a day or two on the AP. The actual issue with getting rid of the holiday wall would be the trickling in of holidays, just like it happens nowadays when someone "massbreeds" shinies - they get picked up instantly, one by one, as soon as they show up. Not a lot of chance to choose ...

Exactly - they could die just as other eggs die now when the wall is too big - and I am willing to bet there are people who would deliberately try and make that happen.

One line - fine. But PLEASE let's keep the wall.I'm not the only one who uses it HARD to find mates.

I look at it this way. People have 51 weeks out of the year to hunt regular eggs in the AP. Isn't that plenty? 1 measly week it's full of holiday eggs. I honestly don't want to see ANY regular eggs during the holiday, I want to see a big, beautiful wall of gorgeous holiday eggs and only holiday eggs. I have to look at regular eggs all year long, I don't want to look at them during Christmas. I don't breed my regular dragons during Christmas and I would never pick up a non holiday during Christmas either. I have no clue why people would breed regulars during Christmas, except for themselves, to begin with. Most people won't want them.

No support for this.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I DO NOT, and WILL NOT, and will fight AGAINST, any suggestion that mixes Holidays with the regular eggs.

Mondat is right about this much: The Holiday is *special*, and should be the focus of the whole site. I'm fine, more than fine (as I'm the OP), with an extra row of non-Holidays for those who don't want to hunt Holidays. Or even the last row of the existing being non-holiday.

I am DEAD AGAINST anything that mixes Holidays with regular AP eggs. Totally, completely, against. I do not want to have trouble finding the Holidays I want because they are mixed in with a troll's mass-bred messy regular eggs.

And its not "one or two days". It will be 3 or 4 days, minimum. So newbies will have to wait until the event is half over before they can get their first old holiday, the people seeking new blood will also have to wait. The only people who would benefit would be those like me who have lines we can breed those first 4 days. Then we can start catching and incu-hatching the eggs from the AP. So for those like me, the event will last 4 days more than it does for those who are new or don't want to keep their own bred stuff. Which to me is flat unfair.

Eggs dieing in the backlog might be annoying, but anything that makes the Holidays more difficult for those who want to enjoy them gets a huge NO from me.

Cheers!

C4.

I'll throw in my support for this.

Not everyone is interested in the holiday spam, myself included. DC becomes extremely boring when all you have is a non-moving biomes (because the majority are hunting holidays) and an AP full of holidays, and it gets worse during the new holiday drop, since the holiday wall would usually be at its height and all biomes are cut off from regular egg supply.

Quite frankly, this supposed "specialness" of holiday that some of you are talking about here sounds a lot like "a special week to not play DC" to me.

I DO NOT, and WILL NOT, and will fight AGAINST, any suggestion that mixes Holidays with the regular eggs.

Mondat is right about this much: The Holiday is *special*, and should be the focus of the whole site. I'm fine, more than fine (as I'm the OP), with an extra row of non-Holidays for those who don't want to hunt Holidays. Or even the last row of the existing being non-holiday.

I am DEAD AGAINST anything that mixes Holidays with regular AP eggs. Totally, completely, against. I do not want to have trouble finding the Holidays I want because they are mixed in with a troll's mass-bred messy regular eggs.

I'll agree with this. The inclusion of regular eggs in the AP should remain segregated from the holidays much like they are right now. Actually mixing them together is going to be hell for people without lightning reflex.

Edited by CNR4806

@cyradis4:

Hey, no need to hit me with a big stick. I was only pointing out that they wouldn't die, which was what fuzz had posted. I wouldn't like abolishing the wall either.

I'm all for 4 rows of solid holiday wall and 1 row of regulars.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

@cyradis4:

Hey, no need to hit me with a big stick. I was only pointing out that they wouldn't die, which was what fuzz had posted. I wouldn't like abolishing the wall either.

I'm all for 4 rows of solid holiday wall and 1 row of regulars.

But many would. Just as AP eggs often do now.

As Sock has already said.

We don't need much wanted holidays dying too. One row - OK, if that's so important to some people. Mixed in - NO WAY.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I look at it this way. People have 51 weeks out of the year to hunt regular eggs in the AP. Isn't that plenty? 1 measly week it's full of holiday eggs. I honestly don't want to see ANY regular eggs during the holiday, I want to see a big, beautiful wall of gorgeous holiday eggs and only holiday eggs. I have to look at regular eggs all year long, I don't want to look at them during Christmas. I don't breed my regular dragons during Christmas and I would never pick up a non holiday during Christmas either. I have no clue why people would breed regulars during Christmas, except for themselves, to begin with. Most people won't want them.

No support for this.

The problem with this is that your logic is flawed. First it's not 1 week, it's 1 week for each of the THREE Holidays. This happens at Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's.

And its not "one or two days". It will be 3 or 4 days, minimum. So newbies will have to wait until the event is half over before they can get their first old holiday, the people seeking new blood will also have to wait. The only people who would benefit would be those like me who have lines we can breed those first 4 days. Then we can start catching and incu-hatching the eggs from the AP. So for those like me, the event will last 4 days more than it does for those who are new or don't want to keep their own bred stuff. Which to me is flat unfair.

Eggs dying in the backlog might be annoying, but anything that makes the Holidays more difficult for those who want to enjoy them gets a huge NO from me.

Cheers!

C4.

Ok, I read through this two or three times, I agree with it; I don't want the Holidays mixed in with everything else, it would just draw the whole thing out, and EVERYONE would mass-breed holidays regardless of their lineages and we would have a MASSIVE backlog of AP eggs for weeks.

But many would. Just as AP eggs often do now.

As Sock has already said.

We don't need much wanted holidays dying too. One row - OK, if that's so important to some people. Mixed in - NO WAY.

Erm ... One of us is missing the flow in this conversation. I'll try a re-cap as I see things.

So, 1 person suggests mixing eggs up instead of having the wall.

You quote this person, saying that Holidays would die when this happens.

To this I say, no they wouldn't, because if holiday and regular eggs where mixed up, they would just be sorted by time as they are now. Very low time eggs get picked up anyway for easy hatching. Then people freeze them, keep them, gift them or AP them - but so far, I've never seen ANY egg close to death staying on the AP for more than a few seconds, no matter how ugly the lineage or undesirable the breed.

(Also, just for the record, I still don't endorse that idea of mixing up. *glares at the people with the big sticks*)

Now, as far as I see it, Sock's post refered to the *regular* eggs that were hidden behind the previous holiday walls. And of those regular eggs, quite a number died on Halloween.

With this suggestion coming true, they wouldn't die anymore.

And outside of holiday craziness, there's no dying of eggs on the AP anyway - unless they do so from sickness.

I honestly support this idea.

I don't think that one lime of "normal" would make the Holidays less special. I love Holidays and I like hunting a looking for mates for my own (it's my first Valentine, tho. But it was like that on Christmas), but it gets a little boring to see only Holidays in the AP.

Also, I understand that not everyone likes Holidays and it would be nice to look for a solution more fair than "suck it up".

Popping in to say that I do not want to see holidays mixing back in with regular eggs during the event. A wall of holidays and a row or two of non-holidays is ideal.

In past years, it was a nightmare trying to hunt holidays in the AP because they showed up wherever (usually at the bottom). I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone, especially the new users. The holidays should be enjoyable, not frustrating.

idk if this is really needed. every holiday i've experienced here at DC at some point during the day the normal eggs end up showing up anyways; and the closer you get towards the end of the holiday, the less holiday eggs appear in the cave.

iirc for Christmas, by the 3rd day, you had holiday eggs limited to the first 3 rows majority of the day.

imo, the reason why normal eggs die in the AP isn't because they aren't seen; but because people who would normally swoop them up for whatever reason are needing their incubates and scroll space for the holiday eggs.

idk if this is really needed.  every holiday i've experienced here at DC at some point during the day the normal eggs end up showing up anyways; and the closer you get towards the end of the holiday, the less holiday eggs appear in the cave.

iirc for Christmas, by the 3rd day, you had holiday eggs limited to the first 3 rows majority of the day.

imo, the reason why normal eggs die in the AP isn't because they aren't seen; but because people who would normally swoop them up for whatever reason are needing their incubates and scroll space for the holiday eggs.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. Yes, on day 3 ish there were normal eggs showing. By day 5, it was solid Holiday, and stayed that way well into day 8. Eggs *were* dieing, and people had the codes to prove it. On Halloween, it was far, far worse. That was a totally EPIC wall.

This Valentines I expect it to be much like this past Christmas. Next Christmas, however, I expect will be much closer to Halloween, with a huge Holiday wall that lasts for quite a while. Which I love! Don't get me wrong, I do totally love it!

But especially for future years, I think we do need 1 line of regular eggs.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

No. Last Halloween, regular eggs were simply not visible for 3 days straight - *after* the breeding had already ended.

ninja.gif 'ed xd.png

Either way, With limits lifted, future Valentines and Christmases will be just the same: rock solid holiday wall.

Eggs below 4 days don't need any incubation.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

idk if this is really needed.  every holiday i've experienced here at DC at some point during the day the normal eggs end up showing up anyways; and the closer you get towards the end of the holiday, the less holiday eggs appear in the cave.

Yes, but last year the Halloween and the Christmas walls lasted for days after the holiday ended and people reported that eggs they bred (long before the holiday, if I recall) died. The eggs that did show up after Christmas were very low time (some had hours left) and ready to die anyway. It is necessary as more and more holidays are bred each year now that limits have been raised. It had nothing to do with people not wanting them.

Edited by Jazeki

I think the wall is only going to get bigger and longer as time goes on, though. Remember this is only the second year that the limits were lifted, so the breeding population is going to continue to expand exponentially. Halloween this year was more like it will be for all holidays in the coming years (the holiday wall continued for 3 days after breeding was over IIRC).

Now, as I said before, I love the holiday wall and I loved being able to lock myself with another full set of Halloween eggs. But I can totally see how irritating that would be for people who didn't want to collect them.

I would NOT support mixing, but I would definitely support the one line of non-holiday eggs.

Just for the record: I'm not in favor of regular eggs mixing in between holidays, I just said that I'd prefer even that over hundreds of dead eggs xd.png

Should have known people would get it wrong...

Yay for 1-2 rows of regulars and 3-4 rows of solid holiday wall!

Edited by Ha-Ki

I think the wall is only going to get bigger and longer as time goes on, though. Remember this is only the second year that the limits were lifted, so the breeding population is going to continue to expand exponentially. Halloween this year was more like it will be for all holidays in the coming years (the holiday wall continued for 3 days after breeding was over IIRC).

Now, as I said before, I love the holiday wall and I loved being able to lock myself with another full set of Halloween eggs. But I can totally see how irritating that would be for people who didn't want to collect them.

I would NOT support mixing, but I would definitely support the one line of non-holiday eggs.

This.

Halloween breeding is a good gauge of things to come, because people can pick up a scroll-full of the new eggs, rather than simply two CBs. Additionally, the other holiday populations were kept down in years past due to the limits of two per scroll, so with those limits lifted yes, more people are picking up holiday eggs but also more eggs are being bred as well.

What happens for Halloween AP-wise will start happening for other holidays as the holiday populations grow. Even the increase of people joining the cave will only slow down the effect, but not prevent it!

This suggestion is to prevent non-holiday eggs from dying behind walls of higher-time-to-dying holiday eggs, and instead permit them to be picked up by people who want them.

The problem with this is that your logic is flawed. First it's not 1 week, it's 1 week for each of the THREE Holidays.

Ok, so 49 weeks out of the year the AP is filled with regular eggs. To me, that doesn't make much difference, that's still the vast majority of the time. I'd like holidays, all holidays, to stay what they're meant to be...a holiday. I get my fill looking at AP eggs all year long. For me, it's refreshing to see something different a measly 3 weeks out of the year. I like a break from all the endless commons I have to stare at 24/7 once and a blue moon.

Eggs *were* dieing

I honestly don't see what the problem is. If I breed an egg and it doesn't get picked up and bites the dust, oh well. I can't imagine that anyone truly expects every single egg ever bred to be picked up and wanted...do they? If people are that concerned, why breed during a holiday in the first place if the only intent is to abandon them when almost everyone is after more holiday eggs and will most likely ignore commons, etc? Unless I see a Gold, I'm personally not going to grab a single non holiday. If people want to breed during a holiday and make sure eggs live, then maybe people should keep their own bred eggs. If the breeder is booting them off their scroll during a holiday and doesn't want them, why would they assume anyone else would?

Maybe there should be a separate thread during holidays for non holiday egg trading/gifting. It makes more sense to me to start with something like that first just to see exactly how many people were interested in non holiday eggs during holidays, instead of just jumping to this idea.

1 person suggests mixing eggs up instead of having the wall.

No. Please no. >_<

Edited by MedievalMystic

It's not a matter of people not wanting eggs. It's a matter of not being able to even see them. And apparently, there are quite a few people who do not share your playstyle.

edit because I got interrupted: Basically, sharing the AP by adding 1 line for regular eggs won't hurt *your* playstyle. Not having this tiny window to the regular eggs anymore does impact several other people's playstyle.

This issue has not cropped up before Halloween 2014. Things like holiday limits are changing, so other things may need adaption, too. This is just one way - and an easy one at that - to fix a side effect of all these changes.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

It's not a matter of people not wanting eggs. It's a matter of not being able to even see them. And apparently, there are quite a few people who do not share your play style.

In that case, this idea would be perfect:

Maybe there should be a separate thread during holidays for only non holiday egg trading/gifting. It makes more sense to me to start with something like that first just to see exactly how many people were interested in non holiday eggs during holidays, instead of just jumping to this idea.

Worth repeating, imo. A thread for only non holiday eggs during the holidays. People could go in there and see everything that's available that's a non holiday since the only thing in there would be non holidays bred during the holidays.

Edited by MedievalMystic