angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Change how breeding works

I can't believe this thread has been around for so long and nothing has been done.

Please do something about this TJ.

*kicks to top of Suggestions*

Kicks harder. It isn't even just new breeds trying to catch up. I mean balloons and pillows - 99% pillows ? Why - are balloons rare now ?

I don't see why breeding needs to be changed. it works well as it stands.

Whut? You're not breeding common x common checkers with recently released breeds, are you?

You and I must have very different standards of "working well". It took 30+ fail-Olives to get 1 Albino. It took 60+ Black Teas to get 1 Vine. Read through the thread, and you will find similar tales of horror.

NOT Metal x Common... Or anything involving metals or uncommons.

But blocker x common, blocker x blocker. The absolute hardest lineages to work on are the blocker x blockers, because one blocker ALWAYS dominates totally over the other. There are times where you'll breed two breeds and get 60+ of ONE breed..... Then breed the no-show breed to another common and get 60+ of the no-show from the first breeding!

This means many people will NOT work with blocker breeds... Which means they stay blockers.

That to me is a big, big problem. Why should two super-blockers always produce ONE breed.... And never the other?

Cheers!

C4.

PS: I work with blocker breeds in lineages a fair bit... So I've had a lot of experience with this problem.

As Cyradis said, it's common x common that's the biggest horror. Do you consider royal crimsons to be common? I do, very much so. Most other dragons will breed nothing but royal crimsons. But my attempted spirit ward x royal crimson x ember lineage has produced 115+ spirit wards to 1 royal crimson and 1 ember. If that's "working well" for you, I really don't know what to say.

As a side note, while the main frustration is common x common, I do think this change would also help with metal x common a little. Not making metals necessarily easier to get so much as making them POSSIBLE to get. Getting a Gold from White isn't easy, but it's possible. Getting a Gold from Royal Crimson, or Lunar, or Brute... haha, kiss your chances goodbye. This is why so many metallic and prize lineages tend to be mostly x older breeds--because even if the new ones would look great with them, few people want to spend half a year trying. I know one prize owner who took over half a year to breed a prize from frostbite. In the meantime, my prize x copper lines were often breeding prizes twice a month. That's messed up! The more "common" breed, in both common x common and common x rare pairings, has a HUGE effect on what you get...

I definitely agree with this. I want to start a Tri-Horn X Carmine lineage really badly, but...well, you can see what my Carmine X Other common pairs have yielded: http://dragcave.net/progeny/evVsq

Go ahead and show all those grand-babies. Yeah. I'm cringing, too.

I get that ratios are a thing, but I would love to see something done that makes common X common pairs less absurd. As people have said over and over, rendering lineages impossible will only make these breeds more unwanted and only makes the ratio imbalance worse.

There's a reason why I prefer to breed all kinds of holiday x anything non-holiday checkers: You're practically guaranteed one egg of each kind per year, even if you're working with golds (as long as you have a mate ready early on).

Wellp.... Add this one to the list! I've been attempting to do a Falconi x Sunrise lineage for... quite a while now. I have 10 pairs of Falconi x Sunrise.

I just counted the stats (mind, this is just the ones that made it to the progeny pages):

91 Falconis, 5 Sunrise/sets.

Of those 5 Suns, 2 were produced from pairs that *already* had a Sunrise/set offspring.

If I remove the 2 pairs that produced 4 Suns, that means I got:

70 Falconis to 1 Sun egg

Its a good thing I'm willing to be patient for this lineage, because.... its gonna be a while!

Cheers!

C4.

I definitely agree with this. I want to start a Tri-Horn X Carmine lineage really badly, but...well, you can see what my Carmine X Other common pairs have yielded: http://dragcave.net/progeny/evVsq

Go ahead and show all those grand-babies. Yeah. I'm cringing, too.

I get that ratios are a thing, but I would love to see something done that makes common X common pairs less absurd. As people have said over and over, rendering lineages impossible will only make these breeds more unwanted and only makes the ratio imbalance worse.

I feel your pain.

So yes please, let's do something about this. This sounds like a pretty good solution; at the end of the day rares will remain rare but you'll have more freedom when trying to create various lineages.

Hello me again

As further proof of how broken the current system is, I'm now doing an Antarean x Spirit Ward project alongside my Ember x Spirit Ward project. And guess how that's going? Ahaha, you guessed it--ONLY Antareans from the first pairing, ONLY Spirit Wards from the second. It isn't that any of the breeds involved are actually rare--they're common, maybe slightly uncommon at worst with embers. No, the problem is instead that breeding layers more common breeds so effectively over everything else that you have about a snowball's shot in hell at breeding the "rarer" breed, even if that "rarer" breed is still dirt common. :/

*sigh*

Four reds, multiple no interests..... And I need a summer and its half way through Summer and no joy...

http://dragcave.net/progeny/jFNu1

We really do need some way to help with this little issue. I mean, these are REDs we're talking about.... not exactly common, and Summers, which aren't exactly uncommon!

Cheers!

C4.

I have been trying to breed some drake lineages, and frankly have quit on them. It's pointless when you cannot get half of the ones you need. Maybe ratios need to be reset now and then or something.

I have been trying to breed some drake lineages, and frankly have quit on them. It's pointless when you cannot get half of the ones you need. Maybe ratios need to be reset now and then or something.

Supposedly the ratios are re-set every year. Last one was in February, if memory serves. I know breeding leveled out a *lot* at that point for the rares. I haven't noticed any material change in how the blockers and commons breed, though.

And yep, I'd love to see more discussion on that BSA suggestion, myself.

Cheers!

C4.

Supposedly the ratios are re-set every year.

I thought it was that dragons older than a year don't count into the ratios? So it's not that the ratios are reset once a year, but that dragons are constantly, throughout the year, getting older than the cut-off?

I may just be really badly informed, though. @_@

(Meanwhile, I am still in favour of this suggestion.)

I thought that too, pinkgothic. You are not alone !

But I like cy's BSA better, myself. More control for the breeder.

YES - Breeding needs to change! I'm trying to start a Hellfire x Candelabra checker right now and the only thing the pairs are throwing is Candelabras. I realize they just came out, those pesky Candelabras, but it's still ridiculous that we have to WAIT a long time to even attempt breeding them with other breeds!

YES - Breeding needs to change! I'm trying to start a Hellfire x Candelabra checker right now and the only thing the pairs are throwing is Candelabras. I realize they just came out, those pesky Candelabras, but it's still ridiculous that we have to WAIT a long time to even attempt breeding them with other breeds!

No-one has managed to get a stripe to tell us which colour they drop, either....

Same with me and the Lovely Commons Project. A lot of my pairings involve mismatched breeds where one breed produces like 10x better than the other, even though both are commons. It's frustrating, and I would really like to get into breeding more.

I thought that too, pinkgothic. You are not alone !

But I like cy's BSA better, myself. More control for the breeder.

Yea I like my BSA idea better, too, for just that reason. There are times, after all, when you *want* to produce lots of the under-populated breed, and others where you just don't care. But then there are some where it would be super inconvenient to fail.

Like that red x summer.... Its actually a 4th gen Summer I'm trying to get, and given the pairing in the earlier gens, I really need to get a Summer from *that* pair.....

(I tried 16 Candalabras x Stripes the other day, and you guessed it.... all Candelabras and no interests!)

ETA: for the re-set, I've heard it both ways and it could very well be both. I just noticed a really noticeable change in February, like has happened in years past.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

Bringing this back up. It seems that a lot of what is making DC "boring" is how lineage breeding is broken if it involves a new dragon. If people can't breed with new breeds and get the other breed that really limits how much lineage building they can do, and lineage building is a lot of what allows people to pass the time.

Bringing this back up. It seems that a lot of what is making DC "boring" is how lineage breeding is broken if it involves a new dragon. If people can't breed with new breeds and get the other breed that really limits how much lineage building they can do, and lineage building is a lot of what allows people to pass the time.

TOO RIGHT. This even goes back as far as - for instance - blue banded, which are totally messing up my checker, and I haven't even TRIED to build the one I want to with carmines. One checker that will only turn up one breed is enough for the moment.

No-one has managed to get a stripe to tell us which colour they drop, either....

Update on that: Candelabras produce red stripes, finally got one: progeny link, as the egg went to the AP.