Twyro

Things you find annoying in music

We've all come across artists and songs/music videos that we saw as annoying. Say your example! smile.gif

Mine is with 5 Seconds of Summer and their song "Good girls" - lyric problem. Quoting:

'Cause every night she studies hard in her room

At least that's what her parents assume

But she sneaks out the window to meet with her boyfriend

Here's what she told me the time that I caught 'em

She said to me,

"Forget what you thought

'Cause good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught.

So just turn around and forget what you saw

'Cause good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught."

So, according to them, good girls are book worms with no social life whatsoever and having a boyfriend is wrong? How pointless. dry.gif

Other examples anyone? What do you find annoying about music?

What annoys me? Easy. Songs that are all about Sex. Sure, there is nothing wrong with loving your body, but every time I turn on the radio and hear songs about what they want to do with them in bed just makes me want to shake my head, which I would if I wasn't too busy turning the channel to a different song.

Perfect example? Anaconda. I refuse to watch the music video of it. I've seen a few clips and just, *shudders* no way.

The only time I'll listen to a dirty song is for the actual music, but then I just find out the name of the song and then search youtube for an instrumental version. Problem solved. smile.gif

I did that for the song, #Selfie because that girl's voice annoyed me to no end, but the music was awesome!

^ "MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE UNLESS YOU GOT BUNS, HUN!" laugh.gif

When I hear that I can only think of buns as in things you put a hamburger in. xd.png

What I don't like in the music industry is also when someone's looks and overall image, or even private life, becomes more important than music. I mean, who cares what they are and what they like if what they make sounds awesome? Or worse, who cares how hot you are if you can't even sing a simple tone without putting everyone's eardrums out? blink.gif

I hate it sooooo much when music videos have a super long intro!

Like you have to watch a minute of censorkip.gif before you can listen to the song!

Good Girls is a good example of that! Another reason for you to not like it. Lol. tongue.gif I love it except that the music video is annoying.

Another good example, I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift. I love the song, and I wanna watch the music video sometimes but I don't wanna watch like a minute of stuff before the song starts!

I hate how so many deal with sex or getting drunk. It's so annoying (thats why I stick with instrumentals)

What annoys me? Easy. Songs that are all about Sex. Sure, there is nothing wrong with loving your body, but every time I turn on the radio and hear songs about what they want to do with them in bed just makes me want to shake my head, which I would if I wasn't too busy turning the channel to a different song.

Perfect example? Anaconda. I refuse to watch the music video of it. I've seen a few clips and just, *shudders* no way.

The only time I'll listen to a dirty song is for the actual music, but then I just find out the name of the song and then search youtube for an instrumental version. Problem solved. smile.gif

I did that for the song, #Selfie because that girl's voice annoyed me to no end, but the music was awesome!

This is why I am still stuck on 80s & early 90s music! LOL! Not that they didn't talk about sex (example: Sexual Healing, Freak Me, to name a couple off the top of my head...), but it was not the main topic of the day and didn't make you feel like you need to bleach your brain after listening to them. Even one that I know which has a F-bomb right on the title doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to some guy just swearing for the heck of it...

I hate it sooooo much when music videos have a super long intro!

Like you have to watch a minute of censorkip.gif before you can listen to the song!

Good Girls is a good example of that! Another reason for you to not like it. Lol. tongue.gif I love it except that the music video is annoying.

Another good example, I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift. I love the song, and I wanna watch the music video sometimes but I don't wanna watch like a minute of stuff before the song starts!

Oh, God, yes, totally! I sometimes like to watch the entire video, but if it's the only video of a song I want to listen to I just HATE to go over that intro until it reaches music.

Also what I hate is that almost EVERY main actor/actress in a Disney/Nickelodeon show needs to have an album, mostly a solo album. It's not like all of them can sing!

Songs about partying like it's the end of the world. And songs about screwing lots of random people.

I have exceptions for both, but generally they annoy me.

This is why I am still stuck on 80s & early 90s music! LOL! Not that they didn't talk about sex (example: Sexual Healing, Freak Me, to name a couple off the top of my head...), but it was not the main topic of the day and didn't make you feel like you need to bleach your brain after listening to them. Even one that I know which has a F-bomb right on the title doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to some guy just swearing for the heck of it...

Exactly. I was in an 80's mood last night and while there were a few that popped up on my playlist it was incredibly tame compared to some of the titles today. I regret that I was born in 89, and missed a lot of the great things that came from that decade, but the music of that 10-year span has such a unique style that It's hard for me to find a song from that era that I don't like. ^^

this is a personal thing but, screaming. i can't listen to a song that has more than like, one or two screams. it makes me wildly uncomfortable for some reason?

worst thing is when i start listening to a song and i like it a lot then they start screaming and i cant

Edited by Switch

Things I don't like... Well, I hate pop music the most out of all the current stuff, but specifically... A lot of the people sound bad. Even with autotune, which I'm assuming they use...just...no.

There's a song, I don't remember what it's called, something about smartphones. The guy's talking about how they don't cheat or something, and how his wife or whatever found out he was cheating because of a pocket call. Well, he deserved it. I don't like songs that promote affairs and the like.

The sounds that music nowadays has...like, the unnaturalness of it. I cringe.

So I'm not too clear. Basically I hate most modern music that's considered popular, and a lot of stuff that isn't popular as well.

I hate it when music doesn't have much variety or contrast in the flow of the music. Songs that are just flat noise (i.e. death metal) bother me. I prefer things that have almost a layered sound, and that go with different instruments (mandolins, pipes, etc). Nightwish does this a lot; their songs Élan, Last of the Wilds and My Walden are all exactly what I love.

When a more specialized music group is getting too much criticism or they're too afraid that people will throw stones at them for being too 'different' and they decide to go mainstream, or they realize there's more money going mainstream or into a more popular genre. (RIP old Calvin Harris. You have more talent than what is required to make the unoriginal user posted image that drunk people dance to in a club.)

For music these days, it seems like the need for money exceeds the need for talent.

Edited by Keekeecat

When a song has a line on repeat over and over again, or an over-long ending/beginning. I find it uninteresting and boring, and has turned me off of some otherwise good songs.

Any shallow songs. I mean... If you're going to sing, make it relatable. Dang son, I haven't found any relatable, meaningful songs just floating around on the radio too often. I hate how shallow, dirty songs are made popular and socially acceptable. I mean, just in my opinion.

When songs have no point or make no sense. For example, Swift's new song "Style". It sounds like a song about cheating, and cheating/forgiveness has NOTHING to do with fashion.

There's this band called Autechre, right? All the names of their songs are just random keyspam pretty much like ac-9-hgj's;cav[j which really annoys me

In a lot of EDM when the song is just dry piano chords, big metal synth, dubstep drum beat, drop, drop, drop...

Iggy Azalea. ppoom papat pow. winna winna ween winna ween ween. She couldn't even make her own gibberish she stole it from Kendrick Lamar

I hate most people in my year group's music tastes. My sister's favourite bands are guys like Arctic Monkeys (I don't think so anymore) and some guys no one knows about, like Two Door Cinema Club or something. Those songs are good.

Then there's EDM. I actually don't hate EDM or Dubstep or anything, but what I DO hate about them is how popular they are. My year group's favourite music is Martin Garrix. And it has gotten so into that everyone is like 'Oh my god that drop oh my god EDM is like drugs I need my EDM' and then that is all they listen to. If I ever suggest anything else they say 'Shut up' and then go back to those EDM mainstream stuff.

I ALSO don't like some singers because they can't sing live. Imagine Dragons has some nice soundtracks, but when it comes to live, I think I can say they're not that good.

Any shallow songs. I mean... If you're going to sing, make it relatable. Dang son, I haven't found any relatable, meaningful songs just floating around on the radio too often. I hate how shallow, dirty songs are made popular and socially acceptable. I mean, just in my opinion.

Hahaha good point there. biggrin.gif

I also dislike it when people record and publish songs that sound immature, such as "We are never ever ever getting back together" by the very same Taylor Swift. Grow up!

When people hate a song only because it's popular.

When people brag about their tastes.

I have a strong hatred for love songs. Can't people find something else to sing about for once?

What I personally dislike is unoriginal instrumental composition. I don't really mind what a song is about (but lyrics certainly do help, I do love me some good lyrics) but if its chord progression and melodic movement is stale it's unbearable for me to listen to. Same goes with percussion lines. I personally think a good percussion line (or drum set) can really cause a song to groove, also can apply to bass lines as well.

Strangely enough melody doesn't have to be as compositionally interesting to me, as long as it works with the lyrics. For example, some songs clearly couldn't make the lyrics fit the melodic line, and as a result the line ends up being awkward and feels incomplete. This happens sometimes in the song in Frozen, thought I'd have to listen to them again to tell you where xd.png

Also don't really like it when lyrics rhyme with the same word in the next line, since I don't think rhyming includes the same word you used

When song lyrics make no friggin sense

In the song love me like you do, the girl sings "I'll let you set the paaaaaace, cus I'm not thick and straiiiight.[/i] Whenever I hear that, I just go like ???? What the heck does that mean?!

Also when songs promote bad relationships

In the song Style, the lyrics go like

" So I heard -Oh- that you been out and about with some other girl

~Some other girl~

He says what you heard is true but I

I can't stop thinking bout you and I

I said I've been there a few times

So you're not breaking up with him even though he freaking cheated? You're letting him get away scott free because he charmed you with words?

When song lyrics make no friggin sense

In the song love me like you do, the girl sings "I'll let you set the paaaaaace, cus I'm not thick and straiiiight. Whenever I hear that, I just go like ???? What the heck does that mean?!

Also when songs promote bad relationships

In the song Style, the lyrics go like

" So I heard -Oh- that you been out and about with some other girl

~Some other girl~

He says what you heard is true but I

I can't stop thinking bout you and I

I said I've been there a few times

So you're not breaking up with him even though he freaking cheated? You're letting him get away scott free because he charmed you with words?

Exactly. DO YOU HAVE ANY SELF-RESPECT AND DIGNITY? Makes me wonder. tongue.gif

As for "Love me like you do" it's actually "'Cause I'm not thinking straight." - which means: "I'm not exactly myself around you, you take control." But yeah, the song's pretty dumb.

What I find annoying in music, aside from things that I already mentioned, is that some people perform songs with the stupidest lyrics possible (as if the writer tried to make a fool out of them) - like, don't you read what you are about to sing? blink.gif

Edited by *Silver Fox*

People who think they're superior for listening to a band/artist before they were cool (Imagine Dragons)

People who rip on other people for buying band shirts but not listening to the band.