TJ09

2015-01-15 - Raffle Status

I'm planning the same thing. smile.gif I will probably trade a couple for things I need for lines/mates, but then I'll be giving them away or accepting things like mass hatchies of commons I need for projects (MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PILLOWS FROM AUTUMN X PILLOW oh yes, oh yes!). Basically, I am lazy and am very willing to trade nice dragons to someone willing to do the work for me, even if the trade value is technically really low on their side. xd.png I'll be extra inclined to trade if they don't have any 3rd gen or lower on their scroll already. biggrin.gif

That's actually exactly what I'm doing with my 2G offspring. First two offspring are reserved for my mother and I. Then I'm breeding them out to people but I'm trying not to turn people away who can't offer things like NDs, CB metals by the horde or unbreedables. I'm more then willing to take commons and have little armies on my scroll.

My only condition is that they understand that the breeding may take a while and that I have a scroll name I'd like to have passed on. If that's acceptable then I have no problem meeting people halfway.

Heck before being a prize winner I couldn't catch CBs myself to save my life so my lowest gens for even the prizes were AP flukes lol

Don't get me wrong I'll hopefully keep a small army of my Shimmer's babies one day but for now I'm gonna spread the love and pay it forward wink.gif

There should be rule next year where people with bronze trophy or none can't join the raffle. Because its annoying af when noobers(im sorry, newbies) can win prizes old timers can only dream about. Not fair. This needed to be said.

There should be rule next year where people with bronze trophy or none can't join the raffle. Because its annoying af when noobers(im sorry, newbies) can win prizes old timers can only dream about. Not fair. This needed to be said.

I can understand that you're disappointed that you didn't win, but excluding users just because they're new to the game (or have a small scroll) is even more unfair.

Edited by Nyastara

Have to say I don't agree with that approach... Not every player aims for a huge army of dragons, and there are people who've been on the site for a long time but don't collect a lot of dragons, aim only for types they like and don't bother with the rest, or do not have the opportunity to play all the time. Not everyone with a small scroll is new and inexperienced, I think it wouldn't be fair to exclude users like that from the raffle (not that I think new users should be excluded, either).

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Sorry, but they have just as much right as anyone else. i only hope they stay interested and become long time players themselves.

Why isn't it fair? New people are just as likely to leave or stay as older members. Just as likely to breed, not breed, gift, trade, or keep all their offspring to themselves. There is no difference between user groups other than how long ago they discovered this site. Just because you didn't win, others shouldn't be allowed?

Have to say I don't agree with that approach... Not every player aims for a huge army of dragons, and there are people who've been on the site for a long time but don't collect a lot of dragons, aim only for types they like and don't bother with the rest, or do not have the opportunity to play all the time. Not everyone with a small scroll is new and inexperienced, I think it wouldn't be fair to exclude users like that from the raffle (not that I think new users should be excluded, either).

Maybe you're right. But it is annoying that an user who isn't even active happens to log in and get a few tickets and then win the raffle.

You do realize that some people could say they have been playing 6 years and no one should be allowed to win if they have been here less than , say 4. If you draw a line, where does it end?

And you've only been here since 2013 and you're playing the 'oldtimer' card??! As far as I'm concerned YOU"RE a noob too.

So what, just because I'm starting out I shouldn't have been allowed to participate? I'm more active than a lot of people, but since I have a bronze trophy I shouldn't be allowed to try? If a noob like me takes the time to get on and at least try the game, then we have just as much right as you to the raffle.

Edited by MiniatureCowgirl

I have to disagree with that. Dragon Cave is not an elitist place. We're all equal! It makes no difference whether someone has five dragons or five thousand. We are all people, and we all deserve the same chances.

Edited by shadowfighter

You do realize that some people could say they have been playing 6 years and no one should be allowed to win if they have been here less than , say 4. If you draw a line, where does it end?

Agreed. One thing I really appreciate about the raffle is TJ's commitment to it being available to ALL players, regardless of scroll size or how long they've played.

We all started off as newbies! We shouldn't forget that. xd.png

Its like saying I've been buying a lotto ticket every week for the last ten years and not won anything and then my neighbour goes and buys one for the first time in their life and wins the jackpot.

Its like saying I've been buying a lotto ticket every week for the last ten years and not won anything and then my neighbour goes and buys one for the first time in their life and wins the jackpot.

It sucks for you, but in the end it's all chance.

Maybe you're right. But it is annoying that an user who isn't even active happens to log in and get a few tickets and then win the raffle.

Hello there. You're talking to an old time (5ish years) player who couldn't be active during the holiday season basically at all due to family difficulties and lack of internet. During the school year I have, well, school. College. I'm in my 4th year. I'm a senior graduating next year. I can get on to check dragcave maybe once every 4 days during a good week. But much more common is once every week, or maybe once every two weeks.

I managed to enter 4 tickets I believe. Two during the hour of internet time I had at my own home, two from a friend's internet when I visited her over new years.

So basically I'm not active. I barely catch anything anymore except new releases, I get on to attempt to breed my 2G shimmer for the people I still owe (STILL FROM FRIGGEN LAST YEAR WTF SHIMMERS MAKE BABIES) and that's about it. Had I won a prize, would that lump me into the 'annoying non-active user' pile?

Congratz to all of the new winners though! If you're accepting lists, beware. Srsly. They hang around for a long, long time. >_>

Umm just my two cents but I didn't play everyday on this past event because of the holidays and so I happened to have less tickets then someone who played everyday.

Does this mean I did not deserve my dragon because I happened to have a busier schedule this event?

I remember when the Tinsels were first handed out and we decorated trees and had to vote on who would win. That was more inclined to be biased and unfair then the raffle scheme.

TJ has safeguarded against inactive users. If they don't claim their prize it goes into the re-draw. I assume that would happen until an active user claims the prize. So yeah inactive people won't necessarily get the prize dragons...

EDIT: Might I also add that just because someone does not have a huge scroll or a certain trophy does not mean they are not an active player or worthy of a prize. Some people may only collect certain things or may have left DC for a few years and thus have a smaller scroll then someone who has played non-stop for years.

DC is about spreading love and trading dragons, breeding them etc etc.

Edited by mysterrie

There's nothing 'unfair' about it, DD. I don't care if someone has been here for 1 week or 6 years, everyone has the same opportunity....as it should be as far as I'm concerned. It's just comes down to the luck of the draw. Unfair, imo, would be to exclude newer players from the raffle simply because they're newer players. That's just wrong to me. Plus, like Mysterrie mentioned, you can't know everyone's circumstances. There might be really good reasons they can't get on that often. No one should be excluded for those reasons, imo, or for being new.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I don't believe we should have a minimum number of dragons on a scroll to be eligible. When I got my first vine (a 2nd gen from a member here) I flipped and was overjoyed. I named it after the person who gave it to me. I posted a thank you note. People like that who still have that wide eyed joy deserve to win just as much as a member who has a crazy extensive scroll.

If TJ put a limit on who could win then how is that fair and who decides what is the minimum needed to participate? I wouldn't oppose a month or two minimum scroll age to participate, but the next year it might be 3 months because one month is still in the trial phase. Then the next year, you might need 6 months because you should have non holiday play time in. Then it would be a year because you should have been through all the holidays and be experienced. And so on until nobody is left but TJ himself. This game thrives on flexibility. If removing the holiday restrictions has taught us anything, it's that we love freedom and to experiment.

Side note: I hope TJ makes a new platinum trophy level for those epic scrolls and have it unlock at about 1500 or 2000 dragons. I would be cool with that as you guys have earned it the right to have an extra slot. cool.gif

no ... just no.

this is a wrong attitude to take imo and i 100% do not support this.

the only thing i hope is that the newbies have a good mentor to run to for advice or at the very least take heed of AW's "guide to winning a prize dragon" or contact a former prize winner for some support.

actually, the only thing i personally find annoying about the raffle is the burned prize dragons from mutli-scrollers dry.gif

imo TJ should have given those babies to runner ups instead of burning them with the scroll.

Is it unfair that I only "earned" 4 raffle tickets, got bored with the mana game and decided to concentrate all my efforts into catching 3G hollies? Nope, not really. I had no expectations of winning so I didn't bother. When the email arrived in my box I quirked an eyebrow, said "well ok than" and picked my code.

The raffle, in it's current incarnation this year, is actually the fairest that I've seen it. I mean yeah I'm bummed at the lack of HMs this year since I probably would have downgraded for a CB holly, but overall this has been a positive experience. And I've seen it stay a good 98% positive here on the forum and IRC.

One of the things I like best about DC is that, with a very few exceptions, you can join at any time and still collect all of the sprites. I won't ever have a CB holly (unless I win something else and get a HM, but I would probably choose something else anyway), but I CAN have a 2nd gen holly still. I play ChickenSmoothie, and though I have been on that game for a lot longer than many people, it's still very difficult to get the oldest pets. The fact that goals in this game ARE attainable without spending my entire life on DC are what make it so unique. Last year, I did not begrudge anyone who was a longer-time player than I was who won. They had as much chance as I did. This year, I don't begrudge those who have been playing less than I did. It's their scroll, and they will do what they like with it. Some people only play during the holidays or check for new releases each month. Some people only collect and never breed. The game does not force you to play a set way, and that is what makes it so great!

Edited by harlequinraven

It did not need to be said and it would be profoundly unfair. But if you want to go that route - all chances should be weighted by length of time we've been playing. That would put you right back into touch though.

The raffles give equal chances to every player who enters. That is fair.

Most of us didn't win. Big deal. Suck it up buttercup. Try again next year, like all of us will be doing.

Edited by This_Guy_001

Okay, guys! I don't agree with DD, either, but I think we have piled on enough now and need to just let it go!

Yeah I gotta say, sure I'm disappointed that I didn't get drawn for the fifth year in a row, but I wouldn't put any limitations on the raffle. The raffle, to me, is fair just the way it is. It's all luck the luck of the draw, a game of chance. Doesn't matter whether someone is a newbie or a DC senior. Once you start putting down lines, there will be bickering on where to put the lines or to change the lines. No. I would just leave it the way it is. Yeah, it sucks not to win, but that's just the way it goes. Didn't win this one, oh well, there's always next time. The people who won this time must be ecstatic, don't take that away from them saying that someone might not have deserved it for whatever reason. How you play DC is how you play DC, no rules on it (except multi-scrolling... multi-scrolling bad).

Anyways, congrats again to the winners, enjoy your new shinies!