TJ09

2015-01-15 - Raffle Status

May I ask a question?

Why all the hate for Holiday mates for shimmers and tinsels... some of those pairings are GORGEOUS.

I am not sure I entirely understand why I routinely see 'No holiday mates, please' in prize trrades.

IS It just because not everyone has CB holidays?

(I have a few shimmer lines with Solstices myself that I would LOVE to continue but , alas, have no CBs.)

There are two main reasons:

1) Holiday dragons, since they can't breed their own kind out of season, breed CONSIDERABLY more Prizes / Metallics / what have you than does breeding to commons or uncommons. For example, I have a Silver Tinsel from Rosebud and a Silver Tinsel from Tan Ridgewing that I got within a week of each other. The Rosebud has bred 18 Tinsels to date, despite me not even breeding him every week lately, whereas the Ridgewing one has only bred 9 (four of which were within the last month--he's usually much more stubborn!) Since these lines are thus more prolific, they are seen as more common and valued less, especially among high tier traders who already have enough low gen Prizes to be picky.

2) Also, as you said, having a Holiday mate can dissuade newer players from wanting that line--which can also impact trade success. Not to mention another horrible possibility--if people only have one CB adult of the Holiday in question (like myself--I used to freeze the second, back when we had Holiday limits ;___; ), then they might have only one chance to avoid a refusal, which is downright terrifying. If my 2g Tinsel had refused my Rosebud I'd have been shot in the foot. With the Tan Ridgewing it was no worry, as I could replace it.

I'm kind of in between; if I think a Holiday pairing is absolutely gorgeous I'll go for it regardless (got my Rosebud line for a reason! biggrin.gif), but if it's a tie between a Holiday and a non-Holiday in terms of gorgeous, I'll usually go for the non-Holiday.

Re Holiday mates: There's also the issue of lineage type. Holiday crosses are ok if you like stairs (and you own that Holiday as CB), but they're harder if you like even-gens because of the challenge of only being able to breed the next gen once a year and the difficulty of trading for both the shiny and Holiday offspring. (That said, I have a few Prize x Holiday checkers I work on a bit and I'm hoping I'll be able to extend them! tongue.gif)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Some of us do not like holiday lines, because we're old, and remember when they didnt breed with other rares, and there were only a few rarexrare pairings in existance, and those had demand. Others see them as lower valued because Holiday lines guarantee that if you get an egg, you are getting the rare you breed to it.

Getting rares from something stupidly common is far more satisfying sometimes. When I started collecting, I went for /balloon, purely because they were so common that nobody wanted to collect them. I figured, I could try to make them popular by tracking down lines of highly wanted sprites... paired to balloons. You wouldnt believe how hard it was to convince some of the wonderful people who bred for me to actually breed to a balloon! I had promised one owner that I would make checker lineages for all of the available prize sprites i could in the future. 3 years later.. im almost there!

I think there are more things that look nice with male Shimmers (Sunsongs, Coppers, Silvers, etc), but some of those still look really good with females as well. smile.gif

Sunsongs

Luminas (be prepared to breed 30948734734 fails for every shiny with these guys, though e___e !)

Gold Wyverns and Coppers look awesome too (and breed well!) but I don't have examples of the latter. xd.png

Crimsons and Deep Seas look good too, but also fall into the "you will get a bajillion fails" category.

Edit: iirc correctly, you've decided to make a trade list, right? If so, I'll throw out a suggestion: if you breed for a certain amount of time and only get fails (two weeks, a month, however long you want), try temporarily trying the next person on the list for a little while before alternating back to the first person. That way, if someone DOES pick a super common breed, you can keep working on their request while also helping to ensure the line doesn't get backlogged for months on end.

Ooh I'm kinda loving the Sunsongs, Desipis, Green Coppers, Springs & RCs.

I've seen the Gold Wyverns done a lot, not that they aren't pretty.

I'd hate to pick a mate and then get nothing but fails. (I remember reading everywhere the endless fails from mates people had chosen) Of course I'm also one of those people that once I choose a specific "permanent" mate for her that will be her mate whether they give me fails or not so I'll box myself into a corner. yay for me!

And yes I have started a list. I will probably bounce around a bit if I get nothing but fails since a part of me will finally want to get a darn shiny egg finally! I would hate to make people wait for months! That's so not cool. I'm even trying to see if I can manage a schedule for breeding her once she grows up that way people have an idea when to expect their eggs.

There are two main reasons:

1) Holiday dragons, since they can't breed their own kind out of season, breed CONSIDERABLY more Prizes / Metallics / what have you than does breeding to commons or uncommons. For example, I have a Silver Tinsel from Rosebud and a Silver Tinsel from Tan Ridgewing that I got within a week of each other. The Rosebud has bred 18 Tinsels to date, despite me not even breeding him every week lately, whereas the Ridgewing one has only bred 9 (four of which were within the last month--he's usually much more stubborn!) Since these lines are thus more prolific, they are seen as more common and valued less, especially among high tier traders who already have enough low gen Prizes to be picky.

2) Also, as you said, having a Holiday mate can dissuade newer players from wanting that line--which can also impact trade success. Not to mention another horrible possibility--if people only have one CB adult of the Holiday in question (like myself--I used to freeze the second, back when we had Holiday limits ;___; ), then they might have only one chance to avoid a refusal, which is downright terrifying. If my 2g Tinsel had refused my Rosebud I'd have been shot in the foot. With the Tan Ridgewing it was no worry, as I could replace it.

I'm kind of in between; if I think a Holiday pairing is absolutely gorgeous I'll go for it regardless (got my Rosebud line for a reason! biggrin.gif), but if it's a tie between a Holiday and a non-Holiday in terms of gorgeous, I'll usually go for the non-Holiday.

All of which makes sense, I think.

I am not Opposed to holiday lines either, IF i find them pretty. ( I happen to have a shimmer from RAs that I think is lovely.)

Still... it is ultimately up to the owner of the prize, isn't it, and MAYBE whomever the egg is for.

( Assuming that they gave the person a choice of mates.)

Edited by Silverswift

I'm going to influence my Bronze Tinsel male, but haven't really considered which mates I'm going to try it with. The first three will depend on the wishes of my friends at least, but after that I guess it's fair game.

I do like the Howlers, Cassare and Desipis with the Bronze Tinsel. But also the Royal Blue, Hellfire and Seragammas. I guess I'm most in favour of colourtones that are similar to bronze smile.gif

I'm going to influence my Bronze Tinsel male, but haven't really considered which mates I'm going to try it with. The first three will depend on the wishes of my friends at least, but after that I guess it's fair game.

I do like the Howlers, Cassare and Desipis with the Bronze Tinsel. But also the Royal Blue, Hellfire and Seragammas. I guess I'm most in favour of colourtones that are similar to bronze smile.gif

Howlers would be pretty. But they are drakes, so can't breed to the prizes. darn the luck.

I understand the antipathy towards a Holiday cross due to not being able to have CBs. What the hell is wrong with GWs? I've had several trades refused because the Shimmer/Tinsel had GW mates. Are they used TOO often as mates?

But... but Howler are Drakes. sad.gif They will only breed with another Drake.

Cassare? Oh, yes! thumbs_up.png

I understand the antipathy towards a Holiday cross due to not being able to have CBs. What the hell is wrong with GWs? I've had several trades refused because the Shimmer/Tinsel had GW mates. Are they used TOO often as mates?

Are you sure that was why they were refused? Maybe they just got something else they liked more? ;;

I do see them used a fair amount, but they're so pretty I don't care. <3

I have some prize lines with GW and I think they are lovely, especially with silver prizes. And they also breed pretty well.

Maybe is just a matter of common lines, or of single people not liking GWs

I have some prize lines with GW and I think they are lovely, especially with silver prizes. And they also breed pretty well.

Maybe is just a matter of common lines, or of single people not liking GWs

This is a good point. The people in question may have jut happened to Not LIKE GWs, for whatever reason...

Or perhaps they already had a line similar to the one you were offering?

Edited by Silverswift

It just feels really good to win something for once here. Been dedicated for a hot minute and it finally paid off biggrin.gif

But... but Howler are Drakes.  sad.gif They will only breed with another Drake.

Cassare? Oh, yes! thumbs_up.png

Cassare must be the worst possible mate for a Prize at the moment. I've tried breeding Embers from my Cassare x Ember pairings... must have tried about 100x now, only Cassare eggs or nothing - and Embers are pretty common too. xd.png Good luck though, whoever tries. No doubt it will look beautiful if it's successful (or otherwise, a lot of people are gonna enjoy 2nd gen Shimmer/Tinselfails xd.png )

Edited by Ashtoret

I just traded a 4th gen prize from GW line. It all depends on how common the line is and what people like, I suppose. GWs aren't my favourite, but they do look nice with some breeds. ^.^ I'm basically a bird. If it's shiny, I'm bound to like it. Silvers are my favourite metal though, despite my undying love for purebred coppers. Silvers just make the most amazing checkers. <3 (OHGODILOVEPRETTYCHECKERS). I'm bound to breed my prize to a silver mate at some point, just because SILVERS. I've caught enough females to deal with refusals and not interested mates, too.

Cassares...I love them, but I can't even get a single black offspring from them and blacks. I had this awesome idea for a lineage, but NOTHING BUT CASSARE EGGS!

Edited by harlequinraven

Ack, I had forgotten about the Howlers being Drakes sad.gif that was my favourite really. Shows how used to breeding I am xd.png LOL

(as in, not at all tongue.gif )

Well, there are the rest of my favourites after all smile.gif so I'm sure I'll have enough to do, if the little booger cooperates, of course!

So far, the two pairs I know I'm going to be working with are a CB Silver and a Yellow-Crowned. u: (I really need to check on the third one, now that I think about it.) But those ought'a be pretty--I think one of them's going to be a checker, and I'm excited to see how that turns out.

To be honest, though, I have no idea what I'd breed with my prize for myself. Maybe my first dragon, but she's a Green and therefore I doubt I'd get a shimmerscale easily. B'D Who knows, though. She's thrown me a gold or two in the past, so I might still be on her good side.

Most of the common dragons are not very good mates for Prizes. Falconis are gonna be the death of me I swear. They only breed falconis and I need a prize from that pair and its frustrating and I just wanna smash an egg of those against the wall but their cute so I cant and its not fair >.<

Anyways, any prize winners want a nice badge, head here.

Edited by AnanoKimi

To be honest, though, I have no idea what I'd breed with my prize for myself. Maybe my first dragon, but she's a Green and therefore I doubt I'd get a shimmerscale easily. B'D Who knows, though. She's thrown me a gold or two in the past, so I might still be on her good side.

Actually the old commons don't breed too bad with shinies, I was surprised that getting a gold from mint was easier than I expected. And prizes breed even better than golds, so prize x pebble could breed better than you think smile.gif

Edited by Ha-Ki

I really wish breeding worked differently, so that you had the same chance of getting a certain breed no matter what the pairing. Maybe a 50/50 roll between which breed is "rolled" for first, so, for example, you'd have the same chances of getting a Silver from a Royal Crimson as from a Gold Wyvern (but would get more Royal Crimsons than GWs still). The current system is kind of counter productive; there are certain commons I'd love to breed with, but because they are so HORRIFICALLY bad at breeding the other breed I avoid them to favor more uncommon things--thus never producing enough of the super commons to satiate the ratios, causing the problem to remain for years... It's a vicious cycle! ;___;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Ooooh shiney new badges! Thanks AnanoKimi, they are lovely. Each has their own prize on it which I love. smile.gif

I have a breeding plan decided already, with some extras too. Everyone who know me can guess what the first mate will be.... Stripe! Then I plan on Royal Blue and Tri Horn. I'd also love a Shimmer x Terrae lineage as it looks very pretty.

I'm also trying to work out what lineages I haven't seen yet, just to be different. wink.gif

I like holiday lineages as much as commons. I'm not too keen on coppers but thats mainly because there are so many lineages with then and I don't have enough coppers for them all. biggrin.gif

I really wish breeding worked differently, so that you had the same chance of getting a certain breed no matter what the pairing. Maybe a 50/50 roll between which breed is "rolled" for first, so, for example, you'd have the same chances of getting a Silver from a Royal Crimson as from a Gold Wyvern (but would get more Royal Crimsons than GWs still). The current system is kind of counter productive; there are certain commons I'd love to breed with, but because they are so HORRIFICALLY bad at breeding the other breed I avoid them to favor more uncommon things--thus never producing enough of the super commons to satiate the ratios, causing the problem to remain for years... It's a vicious cycle! ;___;

I feel you there my friend. A 50/50 roll would make life just a tad easier. Oh well.

[EDIT]

Ooooh shiney new badges! Thanks AnanoKimi, they are lovely. Each has their own prize on it which I love.  smile.gif

I have a breeding plan decided already, with some extras too. Everyone who know me can guess what the first mate will be.... Stripe! Then I plan on Royal Blue and Tri Horn. I'd also love a Shimmer x Terrae lineage as it looks very pretty.

I'm also trying to work out what lineages I haven't seen yet, just to be different.  wink.gif

I like holiday lineages as much as commons. I'm not too keen on coppers but thats mainly because there are so many lineages with then and I don't have enough coppers for them all.  biggrin.gif

No problem. Some people noticed and wanted some badges and I figured I would. Gotta thank TCA for those cute little badge recolors he has that he let me use for the badges :3

Edited by AnanoKimi