ViperSwan

Weird stuff about OC's

If you Role-play, write fan-fiction, normal fiction, or have ever, then you know that sometimes the OC chooses its own path that is completely different than what you had originally planned. I had an OC who was deaf and meant to be the laziest OC I had ever created but turned out owning a restaurant, being very gentleman-like and extremely hard working... Isn't it funny how this happens? tongue.gif

Edited by ViperSwan

In one fic I didn't plan for two characters to have romantic feelings and I had outlined the fic without that in mind.

Then one sentence later and they had romantic feelings for the rest of the fic. And people have commented saying they wish it had been resolved in the fic or I should write a spin-off resolving it and I'm like: I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

As for OC in rps...in a Terminator rp I didn't think she was going to last so I named her Jash and then I ended up having a complicated backstory for her and some people think she's a self-insertXD

I've heard of this from a lot of people, but I've never actually experienced it myself. :\

Your characters aren't really "real people"; if they do something unexpected, then you chose to write them that way, subconsciously or not. Sometimes I get great ideas for characterization halfway through writing a character that I hadn't considered when I made the character, but I recognize that those ideas came from me, not some mystical other source, and I can choose whether or not to implement them.

And hey, character development is a legit thing. It's not like a character has to stay lazy forever just because they started lazy and are said to be lazy in their character sheet.

One of my OCs always wears a yellow spotted triangular sleep cap kinda thing, and I said jokingly once that he would probably die if he ever took it off

And then I made it canon, his hat is cursed, if you take it off he'll have massive organ failure and die within like 10 minutes unless it is returned to him

Ah, joy c':

(I also have lots of characters who are way different than their first iteration but ridiculous things I've added to them on a whim are way more fun |D)

I write a lot for my fanfiction account and some of my stories feature OC's and I've had this happen to me quite a bit. For me it's been a good thing whenever the character differs from what I had planned for them. And even one character in particular has become very well-liked even though he has a role that many people are very careful of.

As for Role play. I have a character that is a ghost and was originally supposed to be very mean and cruel, but he turned out to be a sweet and humble character and dare I say it shy? He's even gotten fanart on deviantart and many who have drawn him say they love his design. It's funny because his design was just some random thing I did up because I was bored.

I don't do roleplay or fanfics but I do write and my stories do have a lot of characters.

I feel like I learn new things about them everyday. Like one character supposed to be really bold and brave but, deep down, I realized he was a coward. Kind of like his bark is bigger than his bite.

Another character was mean to be really mean and hateful but then I realized he's not like that out of spite, it's because he can't see other people's suffering and is too wrapped up in himself and his problems. He's not intentionally cruel, he just comes off that way.

I know it's just me making up this stuff about them but, it feels more like they're telling it to me. I'm just listening to the stories of their lives while trying to weave them into my own story.

All the time. If my character doesn't seem to have a mind or his/her own, I'm doing something wrong. It can be frustrating when I want things to go a certain way but, when it gets down to it, I just can't get the character to do what I want because it's not in-character.

@Fractional Pi Day

I'm pretty sure we all know that our OCs personalities are stored and managed in our own brains.

Happens whether I'm playing a canon or an oc. Sometimes the oc just doesn't like the plotline you wanted to go for and flat out refuses to continue or surprises you while typing an reply to another post.

Can be fun, can be frustrating depending on the situation.

I once had this OC who was supposed to e villainous but she turned out to be completely the opposite... It is weird...