Princess Kiara

The Science of DC

I was just thinking random thoughts when suddenly an idea popped into my head. Surely there are scientific truths that can be linked to DC lore in a fun and interesting way wink.gif Anyone have any to share?

My thought was as follows: If mana can form crystals, then that means that its atoms can arrange themselves into regular patterns...thus giving mana some similarity to a metal and providing it with structural stability. biggrin.gif Weird, huh?

You can think of Mana in terms of fluid dynamics.

Normally mana is free-flowing energy, however sometimes it encounters obstacles, such as other mana flows, and it forms an eddy. Mana-flow eddies in turn attract loose molecules and as these molecules grow denser around the eddy turn into solid, crystalline forms creating what we know as mana crystals.

Everyone on DC into making purebred lineages is a bit of a geneticist! Purebreeding gives a clean pool with homozygous traits (even though all dragons appear to be homozygous, except for the hybrids, which in turn appear to be heterozygous).

And everyone who's into making purebred inbred lineages is basically breeding lab animals. xd.png

And everyone who's into making purebred inbred lineages is basically breeding lab animals. xd.png

There's a reason why I use a scroll prefix of "Subject" for all of my dragons! wink.gif

Going with lineages, we would have some messed-up dragons wandering around thanks to inbreeding. Some dragons could get away with it since their repeated ancestors are far enough back in the lineage to not have an impact, but I don't even want to know what the inbred Nebula lineage I've been working on would result in in real life (currently 6 generations with only two dragons appearing in each level). Would be mutated for sure. xd.png

Also, we've have a ton more hybrids if this was realistic. Some dragons whose ancestors are mostly one breed would probably still resemble that breed, but might start to pick up traits of any other breeds involved. The checkers people like to make would probably result in dragons strongly resembling both parents due to their genetics being half one breed and half another.

Kinda hard to picture want most of these dragons would end up like though. "Wrong" colorations (a Purple bred from a White would probably be a lighter shade than normal), inheritence of powers (a Black bred from a Magi might have stronger magic than normal), wyvern breeds turning into "normal" dragon breeds due to the inheritence of arms from "normal" dragon ancestors (or "normal" dragons turning into wyverns for the same reason), etc. etc.

Some dragons could get away with it since their repeated ancestors are far enough back in the lineage to not have an impact, but I don't even want to know what the inbred Nebula lineage I've been working on would result in in real life (currently 6 generations with only two dragons appearing in each level). Would be mutated for sure. xd.png

I wouldn't be so sure; I am pretty sure that in lab animals it takes 16 generations of inbreeding for the labs to consider the animals inbred. (I saw on the scishow, can look up the link).

ETA:

My mistake, 20 gens.

Edited by amthystfire