Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

Drago made a sound like he was laughing, his tail thumping the earth. Arwena still slept until Jacus woke her up. She quickly cost up and ready to leave eating another roasted root for breakfast. She saddled the horse and Drago, then got the bags on Drago and jumps on, starting to weave a basket out of the long grass she gathered last night, the bones she would use in a satchel and bones for Drago was in Kayden's saddle bag.

Jacus readied his packs and took down the tent. Once he made sure the fire was out and the area cleaned, he saddled up and trotted over to Arwena, "On your go. I'm ready."

"I'm following you. You have the map. I'm ready...." She was more focused on her weaving but with a mount like Drago, who has a mind of his own, she trusted him to follow without a command. Drago lifted a massive paw and pointed forward to let Jacus know to lead.

Jacus nodded and lead them forth. Skimming the border of the plains and swamp lands, they reached the valley. A long trench at the base of the mountains, it was always dark because of the clouds above, the only lighting being the entrance, exit, and glowing mushrooms.

Arwena continued her weaving, looking up briefly to study the glowing fungi. "This place seems ominous to me.. hmm.. goblins... I see their tracks. " She handed a crystal to Jacus murmuring under her breath and the crystal glowed with soft white light. "This should keep them away." She continued to weave in the shadows.

Jacus took it and examined it. "Smarter than the goblins that live in dragon territory up the mountain... Who knows what we would see if those clouds were gone."

"Indeed..... " She finished her basket. "There, you think this would make a good basket? Sorry if I'm concerned about money, elves trade with each other, I know currency considering that is how we buy materials outside our land.... but I heard stories from Thrii that travelling long distances can be expensive..... and it is in our nature to be prepared, as you could see from my arrows and items for spells."

((Is she too OP? I'm trying to stick to the dnd elves....and druid spells. They are pretty powerful and can substitute for a cleric.))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((I have no issues.))

Jacus took a look, "It looks good to me. You seem really talented for a Druid. Who knows, maybe you'll be the Elvan leader some day with your skill set. That would be cool."

"I........don't think so.........the Elders have been around for a long time, and..... they are powerful. Far stronger then I am. This cavern is rather long...." She heard her voice echo. She smiled and waited for the echo to die down before starting to

her voice echoing around the trench, bouncing off the craggy walls.

((I've wanted her to sing that... I'm a LOTRS fan!))

Jacus just stared at her as she sang, "...wow... that was really good..." He couldn't say anything else, he closed his eyes as he took in the echo that hummed around them.

Arwena blushed. "Not really, I am not in the choir.... my friend can do better then I.... She has many suitors because of it, and is vary talented at the arts......" Drago let out a low sorrowful howl, knowing how this made his soul partner very jealous and even bitter toward her friend. The echo of the howl wrecked the last note of her song. Arwena looked down at her slender fingers that where fidgeting with her outfit again and she balled them into fists on her thighs.

Jacus shook his head, "No honestly that was beautiful. Humans aren't much for singing... Well unless it's mothers to their children. But I wouldn't be surprised if your singing attracted a dragon from the mountain!"

"You don't know much about elves do you? Compared to the choir.... my voice is nothing.... just a mere bird singing in the background. Let's just focus on getting out of this place...." her tone turned bitter once again and she rode ahead till only the green tinge of Drago's tail and her hair could be seen. She soon got bored and started singing again, this

about dragons.

((meaning of the lyrics))

Jacus sighed and enjoyed the singing, "I'm not taking it back, you have a wonderful singing voice."

She was quite after her song. "If only the men of my kind thought so. We don't separate men from women in battle, but women of great skills such as mine, well.. We are a people of peace and beauty. A woman who can sing, create art and dance as my friend are much sought after, a woman such as she who can create such beauty... would have such beauty in her children......"

Jacus rode back so they were next to each other, "If you came to the human kingdom, every man would go for you. You need to look at your skills in the big picture, not just look at your friend."

"Would mortal men see me as a warrior and not just another pretty face?" She looked at him, then cried out in pain as a goblin arrow pierced her left shoulder. Drago yelps and ran as the arrows started to rain down on them. Arwena struggled to shoot her bow, striking three goblins before another arrow hit her side mere her lower ribs. Drago ran out of the trench, Arwena having shouldered her bow to clutch Drago's white fur being tainted red as she gasped for breath.

Before getting a chance to respond, he heard Arwena's cry of pain. A barrage of poorly made arrows came upon them. While made of weak wood, they were deadly sharp and certainly not clean. Whipping the reins, Kayden charged forward to keep up with Drago. Once out of the valley and back into sunlight, Jacus leaped off of Kayden and ran to Drago's side. Finding a soft patch of grass, he lifted he off and layed her down, avoiding the arrows. "****... Just keep calm and breath. I have some herbs and bandages." He ran back to Kayden and grabbed an arm full of medical supplies.

Arwena struggled to breath, the one in her shoulder would have gone all the way through if she had been leaning forward just a bit more; the other was shallow but the tip was against her diaphragm, preventing her from talking deep breaths. She had been cut and nicked with swords and knives before but never shot with arrows. Drago had collapsed, feeling only a small portion of her pain, but pain nonetheless. The large wolf painted and whimpers watching Jacus with pleading eyes.

Jacus sweat as he examined her wounds. Knowing that she would need bandaging as soon as he pulled the arrows out, he carefully took off her tunic, using his knife to make small cuts so the arrows could pass without bending. Knowing the stomach shot was the most important, he gripped it, "This will hurt a lot, but I need to take it out... you too Drago..." Grunting, he ripped the arrow from her. Chewing some healing herbs that we had, he took the paste and put it into the bleeding wound, adding pressure. Applying the bandage over his hand, he slid his hand out as he tightened it. It turned a dark red but didn't seep. "Ok... that will stop the bleeding and prevent infection... want me to get the other or do you want to rest?"

Arwena winced when he made the small cuts. She screamed, Drago's wailing howl mingled with her cry when the arrow was yanked out her. She started to take deeper breaths, sweat forming on her brow. "Rest.... " She managed to choke out. "T-tell me about your people. The other knights and the city you live in......" She tried to adjust herself and gasped in pain. "I know so little about humans, and what I do know dose not do you any justice.......please.. enlighten me on your kind....." Her eyes seemed to change from silver to grey to a slate color. She looked worn, and tired.

Jacus looked at her as her breaths were slow and seemed painful. Sitting back and letting the herbs and bandage do their job, he nodded, "...The Capital of the Human Empire, The City of Freedom, we are a monarchy led by a King and/or Queen. They recruits knights and seperate them into three groups... The Knights of the Kings' Crown, the Knights of Freedom, and the Outer Guard. Each have duties to the Crown, but the branch I'm in are the closest... humans themselves are simple. We are born, live, eat, love, hate, communicate, explore, create life, and die. To this day no human has lived forever, but through magic some can live a long time. On average we go to 80-100 years before passing."

"Tell me about your life. Your family, what you do in the city.... " She listened to him speak, she told him a bit about her own people, but she wanted to know more about the knight she traveled with, who is trying his best to help her. Drago flopped down behind Jacus his nose brushing her cheek.

Jacus thought for a moment, "When I was born, the King and his knights came back from helping the old dragon I mentioned before. My dad was the top Knight. I was sick with some illness so chances were I was going to die. The king wanted his reward from the dragon passed to my father, and my father passed it to me. I grew up healthy, trained to be like my father, and made it as a Knight of the King's Crown. My father trains new recruits now, my mother is a well know herbalist. One you can thank for the one healing you now. I have a sister who creates wonderful fabrics for the Kingdoms expensive flags, clothing, and other things. We aren't nobility but we are the next step down."

"I would have to thank your mother then.... I think I'm ready for the other arrow to be pulled out.... " She murmured closing her eyes. She would tell him about her family, it was only fair to her if she did so. She braced for the pain that was sure to come.