Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

Arwena quickly followed him. "I don't know. Kia took an arrow I shot into the beast so the Elders could find out who summoned it and from where." She has Drago picked up the pace trying to get out of the area. She stopped when the forest ended hesitated before inching Drago forward past the trees.

Jacus smiled as he caught up, "Well... besides that crazy thing... let me be the first person to welcome you outside the forest." They were on a ridge that overlooked the wooded area of the swamplands to the left, and the plains that reached all the way around the forest. They could see the path was between the two and led into the valley. Looking up, they saw the towering mountains and the clouds that blocked the view of the tops and the dragons that lived up there.

Arwena remained silent. Looking back at the woods. "I never thought my parents would let me go. Elves only have one child every three centurys.... and the duty of head gaurd passed down from parent to child..... if I die, there will be no head guard for the next generation of elves."

Jacus gave her a skeptical look, "That's a little harsh. Your community could easily support more children. Why limit that?"

Arwena laughed. "Its not that. We live a long time. Our bodies are different then humans. I am 198 years old,about 20 for you humans. So the older we get the harder to have kids. A female elf can't start having kids until they are atleast 200. When children come to our land, we enjoy their company when we can."

Jacus looked at her confused and then laughed, "Shows how much I know... here's an interesting question, do the animals that bound with druids live as long as them? Since you can feel what they feel, I would think they have special qualities unlike Human Hunters."

Edited by Dotzrus

"Yes. Like you have a dragon's soul... we share a piece of our souls with the animals we bond with. This connection helps them live a long time. If we die, they fade to nothing and go with us to the after life. If they die, we feel broken like we lost a part of ourselves and loose the will to live. Understand? "

((Oh god it's Eragon now...))

Jacus nodded and looked down at Drago, "Yes, I understand." They moved down from the ridge on a zigzag path down to the plains, a herd of bison could be seen in the distance. Birds covered them, using them for transportation.

((Didn't intend that. The same concept is in dnd....don't really remember much of Eragon)))

Arwena looked at Drago and sighed taking her pack and quiver off of the saddle and hoped behind Jacus, and the wolf took off chasing a buffalo. "He said he didn't catch anything last night and needs to ear enough to last a week and a half. A buffalo would do nicely. He'd eat it to the bones, but he promises that he'd catch a calf fit you tonight so you could have meat too."

Jacus froze when she sat behind him but relaxed and laughed, "Well I'm happy to know you both are so willing to take care of me. I haven't even had a chance to fight anything yet. Acid doesn't do well for close sword combat though..."

"I don't like killing up close, it makes it feel personal. That's why I chose archery. " She rode without touching him, both of her legs over one side of Kayden. "Sorry for jumping on without permission."

Jacus smiled, "No no it's quite alright. I'm sure Kayden can handle someone as light as you." They rode forward slowly as Jacus watched Drago hunt. "The plains here would be good to camp at. No way to get snuck up on."

"I agree..... but I have to admit... I feel... exposed... the trees always hid me. I will take first watch. I only need four hours of sleep. Where should we set camp?" She looked around, everything looked so similar. The trees she knew where different... this was strange and new to her.

Jacus looked around and saw in the distance, the shore of a lake at the foot of the mountain, "There, next to the lake. I heard the water is fresh and I could make fire to boil it for the journey as well as cook some meat for me and Drago. I know he eats it raw but a little cooking goes a long way."

Arwena nods, letting him take over, nature things she could deal with. He had more experience than her on travelling so she had to trust his judgment. She closed her eyes, relaxing herself, letting her mind wonder, feeling nature around her, the system here was different from the forest, something she would have to get used to soon.

Jacus moved them to the shore, "My mother is an herbalist. Not in time like Druids but she knows species and herbs better than anyone I know. Uses it in her cooking, best meals in my life. She gave me a pack for the trip. I know your not one for meat but you should try some with spice."

Arwena didn't respond to him. She was getting used to her surroundings so when she slept tonight she could detect something odd quickly and wake up ready to face the danger. Darkness didn't frighten her, she could see in low light, but the unknown did scare her although showing emotions weren't her thing. Fear was a weakness that could be exploited, and she doesn't do well being exposed in such a way.

Jacus looked at her and shrugged, "I hope Drago isn't having issues. He might be able to down a bison but an angry herd is not something to take lightly..."

"He is a wolf, he assures you he has separated the old from the herd, and he has heart wood armor to provide protection. " Arwena sounded distant and distracted, she blinked and straightened herself her voice sounds clearer now. "Sorry, I had to get used to the feel of this place."

Jacus nodded, "Usually wolves hunt in packs. I just don't want him to take a risk I prey he never hunted before." The stopped at the shore and got off. Jacus unpacked his tent and started to set it up.

Arwena watched him interested in the thing he was setting up. She sat on the grass cross legged. "Normal wolves aren't so big, and has the strength of five bulls. What is that? Never seen one before is it new?" Drago came back and she took off his armor cleaning it as the wolf when farther along the bank to clean his muzzle.

"We sleep in trees or under the stars... you do have to remember, I only know what I have been told from the outside world, and am nearly two hundred years old.... although I have heard of tents, never seen one though. Don't need to use one when you're never to far away from home."

Jacus nodded, "I see... Well I can sleep under the stars too, but it might rain. I'm sorry but I only got one tent... You can have it."

Arwena looked at the cloudless sky. "No I think I'm fine, and I know a basic spell to keep me dry, it's easy, I could do it in my sleep. Drago would keep the cold at bay. You keep your tent, I like counting the stars before I sleep."