Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

Jacus smirked at her questions, "Beyond the kingdom, I've only been to the plans and the ocean. The plains are long stretches of fresh green grass with the occasional herd of buffalo, cows, or farther south, gazelle and elephants, big cats and birds. The ocean is similar in its vastness by home to more fish than anything I've seen before. Seeing a whale in the distance was amazing..." He hummed at the memory, being in his teens at the time, it was something amazing. "The desert, badlands, swamp, and mountains are off limits unless a mission is there..."

Arwena took this all in nodding. "Thrii has tamed a she lion from the plains. Rangers go to the bad lands. That is why their animal fighters have to be strong too. " She looked ahead. "What is at Unity?"

Jacus pondered, "I don't know. Merchants that travelled there say it has everything. Man and Beast, magic and machine. A city for the world to come together. Thus is what "unity" stands for."

Jacus smiled and ate, "So... are you always this serious? Your parents seemed very emotional, no offense you just seem... well not a people person."

Arwena seemed to have stiffened even more if that was possible. "Twenty years ago Drago wondered off the Territory and broke his leg in a snap trap, Thrii had to drag him back in a sleigh because he was unconscious from blood loss. My parents had to heal him, what pain he feels I feel too, and vice versa. Humans set the trap. You could say I have a certain distrust for them now..."

Jacus gave a stern look, "The kingdom looks down on trappers. Since our alliance with the elves, we are taught to be more respectful to life. I meant to make a clean on that deer but my archery isn't the greatest... once a kill is made, we have to use the whole animal. Nothing goes to waste."

"That, I can respect. I wouldn't expect anything less from a knight to the crown. But, I felt his pain, if you felt like you're arm was suddenly snapped in half, you would hold some animosity towards the one who did it. Wouldn't you?" She kept her eyes on the path rubbing her arm like it still hurts.

Jacus sighed, "Revenge and hate can reach far places... distrust of an entire species because of what one did, that's a bit far. I could have thought all elves were strict and serious when I first met you, now I know they are all kind and willing to help. Including you."

"I am my own person. People do not like dire wolves, I don't like anyone who hurts my Drago dear.... all I meant, is that humans have a track record of harming animals that they deem as a threat. Look at your whole race, any tell me that isn't true. My kind helps those who need it the most, it is this way that connects us so closely to nature. We know the balance and respect it. I know there are a few mortal men who do so, but they are rare indeed." She rubbed Drago's ears as she spoke, the wolf's tail wagged.

Jacus looked down at Kayden, patting it's head, "I see... What would you consider me then, ignore the fact I'm a knight and tell me what I am to nature."

"You said you have a cat.... and Drago rarely sleeps in a room of a stranger unless likes them. From the way you ride, you are either well trained, or you trust Kayden, most humans I've seen ridding our horses are stiff and hold them in a high trot to look more sophisticated. Then there is the dragon's soul...... The elders know many Dragons... they are not to trusting with any race, so I guess that has to do something with you helping one, or your father. I know humans don't like seeing woman fighting, so it must be your father. To nature, I would say you are.... curious on how it works and relates and affects us, and are a merciful and kind spirit. Your shotty aim can be fixed so the next quarry would have a painless death." She kept her eyes on the forest around them as she spoke.

Jacus smiled taking most of that as a compliment, "That's good to know... I'm going to think nature thinks of you as... Kind, understanding, powerful, skilled, strong willed, and very beautiful."

Arwena looked at him startled, cheeks a light pink against her white ivory skin. "I...... never thought of that before.... " She focused on her staff that lay across her lap, fingering a gossamer strand that was part of her outfit.

Jacus just smiled innocently and kept riding. "According to the map, we skim the swamplands until we he get to the valley under the mountains... From there it's a straight shot to Unity.

Arwena nodded and suddenly stopped. "I sense something.... a smell in the air. This is where the darkness lies....." Drago growls lowly, head up and ears turning slowly. Arwena drew her bow and notched a arrow.

Jacus perked up as he stopped Kayden. His left hand was one his sword while he watched the woodline for movement, "What exactly are we looking for... This darkness..."

"None of us know.... but it moves... I can feel it... it's poisoned the air we breathe...." She shot her arrow into the woods and there was a inhuman scream like nails on a chalkboard broke the silence. Looking around, there where odd prints yellow and brown on the green grass that was turning sickly. The tree branches drooped and it smelled like mildew and decaying leaves. Kayden danced about uneasily, whatever was out there was not natural.

Jacus flinched at the screech, "Dear lord... Should we push on or go in deeper... It's not safe to remain still here for too long." He patted Kayden in understanding, "These trees have seen better days..."

"It's the sickness...... we need to kill this beast, it is getting to close to Elven territory...." She loosed another arrow and a scream sounded again something moved in the bushes and they wilted. The beast looked like a Panther, all black and sleek, it's mouth too wide, and when down its neck, teeth like diggers and saw like edges. It's three tails looked like a black snake with the heads of a Venus fly trap. It's body reeked of sulfur and other poisoned gasses. It had four eyes all red dots, it's nose was on its throat, wide slits like a dragon's close together. Kayden and Drago both backed away from the beast it has a arrow in it's right flank and another on its stomach, but it seemed more angry then hurt, and it's blood was yellow hitting the earth with a hiss.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus leaned back appalled by how the creature appeared. He jumped off his horse and examined the beast. He saw how it's yellow blood hissed as it touched the ground. "Acid... It's blood is some sort of acid!!" He knew an acid like that would eat his sword, so he put it away.

Arwena took aim and fired as the beast leaped at Jacus with a scream cut short by the arrow in it's head. She placed her fingers to her lips and whistled extending her arm as a falcon, the same one her mother had, Kia, and spoke in her native language to the animal, it shrieked and flew off after snatching a arrow half melted from the body. "I feel more of them though not many, the Elders will deal with this now they know what it is.... whatever beast it may be. We must ride on."

Jacus braced himself but looked up in shock as the creature collapsed over dead.. "What the hell is that thing... It looked like a mixture between a panther and a demonic chimera..." He got back on Kayden and took some steps towards it.

Edited by Dotzrus

(Its dead tongue.gif))

Arwena studies the body from the safety of Drago's back. "Not of this world .. evil magic was here... someone summoned this beast. Its up to the elders now. I don't want to hang around here to long. I feel ill already .." she did look a little green like she would get sick.

Jacus nodded, "Then we have no time to waste. Let's go." Motioning her to come, he lifted the reins on Kayden as they headed off. "So... who do your think summoned it? A demon? A necromancer? Something else that I would not be aware of?"