Millennium07

777: Seven Gates, Seven Vices, Seven Loves - OOC

I'm sorry but, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of different personality types. There is no way "they know what they're doing" in 19 years.

Plus, the most unlikely personalities can end up working so well with each other.

Myself, for example. I am in a strong, now 4 year long, relationship with someone who is nearly the complete opposite of me. He's a warmonger, we're both stubborn as all hell, I'm extremely serious and he likes to take everything as a joke/in stride. Personally, I always thought I'd fall in love with someone who had a similar personality to me (i.e. science oriented, prefers to read a good book, somewhat introverted, and quiet).

Additionally, what might seem like a good pair at first could end up taking a sudden turn. Some event happens and a rift is formed, not able to be bridged.

All I'm saying is that, there is no "success" rate. The heart is vastly unpredictable unless you truly, truly, know someone or your own heart.

Alis is going to have some difficulty with knowing other people since she's never left Iceland before this and none of the other characters are Icelandic.

Alis is going to have to pair up with someone with a lot of patience because she's going to absolutely refuse to go on romantic dinner dates with people she's just met and spend a lot of time away from her partner doing tons of other stuff like learning how to fight really well so she doesn't get killed. She wouldn't trust anyone as far as she can throw them. And considering everyone's so freaking tall, that's not that far.

Edited by pudding

I asked a friend if 19 years would give a significant success rate and even they doubt it. They said that there was likely for a first attraction but a low, long-lasting, rate.

EDIT: I'm not trying to poke holes to try and tear everything apart. I'm trying to poke holes to help build up and support the idea.

Edited by Narvix

Mmm... I think you're grossly overestimating how many Saints there are at any one given time... At this point in the plot there are only about... Mmmmm... Fiftty or so?

For the whole school this is, and several are out on assignment. They have a whole wealth of resources to annalyse potential matches, and Saints are sometimes tried with several partners over a course of the induction months before a final one is found.

I mean, they're technically child soldiers. If they aren't certain a partnership works, of if there is a triangle involved they could get four Saints killed in one operation, which is four children dead, AND four of a very limited army.

That's not to say they don't happen... But they are VERY careful with who they send out on missions and who they think need more work. I mean, ordinary humans can take on one or two demons, as shown with David. And even a partnerless Saint can take on a group of them... But INSIDE the dungeons, only a perfect synch ratio will allow survival, hence why they haven't sent many teams in there yet...

I mean, this ain't a daying service, it's a war.

Yes yes time until Sammy's forms so nervous haha

EDIT: Oh don't worry, I know :3

Edited by Millennium07

(( Narvix, let's be honest here...

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say this is a roleplay. We don't know what kind of futuristic advancements they have in this modern day thing. What if, when saints show a promising connection, their marks begin to glow slightly, showing adequate emotional attachment?

Is your friend a psychologist or romantic? Does he have merits? You've been pretty stubborn this whole time and I just want to know what's going on.

Now, I will agree, there is no certainty to love. Love is a variable, in fact, and it's even more chaotic than a variable letter like x could describe. There is no true path. However, there are connections that can be made based on personality, appearance, history, place of birth... I mean the ways you can do it are numerous. We need to just give him the benefit of the doubt, unless you can come up with a better way of doing it yourself.

If you have theories, then enlighten us.

Edit: You edited before I finished my counter-argument. sad.gif ))

Edited by Thaelasan

No, I'm not overestimating the number of Saints. I'm going based off the total population and the fact that any one of that population could be a Saint. Therefore, a Saint can have one of several hundred/thousand personality types.

What resources are there for analyzing matches?

And, based on what you stated to be pre-orientation, then all students should be going in, knowing everyone else. Thus making it almost impossible for someone to go in not knowing a single soul.

So the phrase "they try to pair up people who have already met" is somewhat obsolete. As it is, it makes it sound like practically none of them will know the others.

EDIT: Ah, see. I'd roll with a physical indicator.

Edited by Narvix

(( I mean, hell, there have been animes where a guy and a girl have been forced to work together because of some magical stuff and then over time they realize that stuff was RIGHT and they DID love each other more than they thought.

And that stuff is adorable. ))

Yes, I know about things working out well in the end for TV shows and movies.

And, yes, I know I'm very likely taking a realistic approach (it's in my nature).

However, not everything ends in sparkles and butterflies.

EDIT: Also, I just feel it upsetting that appearance should be any sort of factor in assigning pairs.

Edited by Narvix

No, not everything does, and you're right. But in my personal universe, I've paired people up in the past, and they've thanked me for it years later. It's not hard to see when signs of affection are present if you know how to look.

But on another topic entirely, say for instance that during this orientation, students are asked to raise their marks and walk towards each other, seeing if there is any response. The marks begin to light up when in the presence of someone who may be fit for a bond. ))

I mean, like, met in passing. The human brain is predisposed to prefer something even slightly familiar to a stranger.

That approach doesn't work on everyone, but it would work on some.

Councilors, brain scans, psychiatrists, and elder Saints scanning their auras for compatibilities.

And actually, all students are given a thorough psych exam, aura check and brain scan before they even get in the building, so they already have some idea of what they're working with.

EDIT: I love that idea, Thae

Edited by Millennium07

I'll roll with those analysis.

However, Thael, now the idea of the glowing mark makes it sound more like it's just a bond of the marks and not of the actual people.

EDIT: What if it's more of an indicator of how strong their bond is? Say the marks start neutral when first paired and, over time as the relationship grows positively, it gets brighter in color. Similarly, if the relationship grows sour, the marks grow darker.

Edited by Narvix

OH DAMN NOW YOUR ARGUMENT MOVES TO ME!

Sweet.

Perhaps that's true. Perhaps, instead of love, those people are forced to bond purely due to their marks and not their enjoyment of those people.

Which could lead to some roleplayed drama, tension, distress, anxiety, and drama again.

But again, narvix, you don't like actual stories. Do you? You don't like the possibility of it being wrong, of a bunch of hormonal teenagers struggling to understand what love is in the midst of a war.

Do you?

Look, guys, often magic is mysterious. Maybe that is the case? Or Fate or something? That is an idea.

I don't understand what you're getting at, Thael.

I would actually enjoy a plot line with the protagonists not having it together all the time. I would enjoy a struggle that would cause character development.

Reading is a favorite of mine. From Eragon to So You Want to be a Wizard to Sarah Dessen's teen novels and the Forgotten Realms series. From Incarceron to The New Kid and so many more I don't have on my bookshelf. I've read books like Home is Where the Heart is and Song in the Silence.

I was going to edit my last post again but I'll say it here instead:

The marks indicating how strong a bond is can create potential for confusion as, if there is a love triangle, you can't tell so easily who the strengthening bond is made with.

Edited by Narvix

Theory on the pairs? Well, we have three established.

I think, since we're all having trouble establishing the remaining pairs, we take a RNG and randomly set up the rest of the pairs. Then, we let things develop as we sort out who we actually want together.

That way, we can actually get real relationship development instead of "love at first sight, kissing at first meeting" or "I hate your guts just because you looked at me wrong."

Edited by Narvix

Well... I point out the thread title says it's action/fantasy/romance RP...

True Love being the source of the Saint's powers is actually a plot point

I know that.

You said it yourself. The staff go through months of evaluation before sending off pairs into fights for better success. If a pair doesn't work, then you reassign and start again. No?

Yep yep! That's exactly right!

It depends on what the individual users want though. I'd rather not have David go through several partners, for instance, as I doubt he'd have any faith left after so many failures. But then agsin, as of right now, no one actually suits him •^•

So yes yes , it depends on what each individual users want~

Hm. Somehow, that seems like a good middle point which I am content with.

It'll give us time to develop characters, create possible triangles (squares too!), and, hell, if one of us picked some character but found that the one they were RNG'd with was also compatible (or even better), they could stick with that pairing.

I'm up for it, personally.

On a slightly unrelated note, it would be interesting in manifesting the energy into whatever element the Saint is tied to is part of the entry month. Bonds or not, pairing up Saints with elements that clash more can increase their chances of dying. I mean, you wouldn't really want to pair up two Saints of Light or Saints of Air because the Saints of Light are fainters by nature and the Saints of Air are easy to take down. You want to have balance and balance means diversity in the represented elements. That could be a part of the sorting process.

So, again, I proposed an idea to use the RNG. I mean, quite a few people have expressed their desire to get started but the remaining pairs haven't been set up yet. Why not play around a little and have some fun with potential drama/character development while we figure out the remaining pairs?

Besides, with them randomized, there's a possibility of a pair turning out as desired or for your feelings towards someone's character to change. You feel like not many suit him but all you've got are sheets. You don't have the actual application of their character. You don't really know what they'll do and how they'll act.

EDIT: Kuro got to my point before me |D

Edited by Narvix

In other words, if two users want their chatacters together, the that's that, leave them alone.

But if they wanna play the field a bit, then they are more than welcome to take part in the academies' swapping trials.

Sound good :3?

We can't start yet, we're short four characters.

We'll see then.

Edited by Millennium07