zaverxi

Prize Dragon/Spriter Alt/HM list status

I just honestly don't think it would make a difference.  If posting an offer on a thread was "enough" for most people, prize owners wouldn't face death by PM-drowning every year.  Yes, I as mentioned right above your post, I know people usually refer to their sig for IOUs, I'm just not convinced that it's behaviour that should be encouraged.

We will never know without trying it though. With winners always getting overwhelmed with trades, I think anything we try to lessen the amount of PM's is worth a try.

No, I don't think encouraging lists of IOU's (at least of prize/spriter's alt offspring) is a good thing, that's why I said maybe a thread like this would encourage people to trade for stuff others have at the time, instead of trading promises.

edit: I also have no problems of making the thread for other low generations of prizes as well, instead of just 2nd gen.

Edited by LaHaine

I'm now mostly picturing some terrible morass of posts that's basically the RTC+MTC+whatever gubbins people assume someone might offer a 2-3G prize on. And if you;ve ever spent more than 5 mins in the trade threads, you know that's just about EVERYTHING, these days.

HAVE:

Cheese egg

WANT:

CB Gold or 3G prize!

HAVE:

Common with barely decipherable code

WANT:

CB metal, low-gen (2-3G) prize

....it goes on.

LaHaine, people need to learn to say "No" and mean it. There's not a lot that will halt the stampede other than prize owners taking much better control of the situation. Giving some thought to guidelines to post in profile and/or signature and making your wishes known quickly and clearly helps IMMEASURABLY.

Yeah, even if its a cluster mess of a bunch of random offers for prize babies, it will still be concentrated into one thread if we can get the help of mods and contact different trade threads about it to no longer allow any trade requests that offer or want prizes save for like I said maybe RTC and this new thread. That leaves those threads open to people wanting to trade their metallics, commons, CBs, etc for other non prize dragons.

Actually now that I've read what people say in this, the other way around would be a better solution. I think keeping it just to 2nd gens might not work, but keep it to, say, 2nd-4th (unless someone wants to trade a CB!) would be good. We do need a separate list for prizes, we really do. They clog up the rare and metallic trade threads, there's many things I keep looking for in those that aren't shimmers or tinsels but... yeah. :/ Long-gen prizes aren't really all that valuable anyway, so those don't belong in trading threads. They can stay in EATW. I know I don't even breed my shimmers that are 4th gen or longer.

Yeah, even if its a cluster mess of a bunch of random offers for prize babies, it will still be concentrated into one thread if we can get the help of mods and contact different trade threads about it to no longer allow any trade requests that offer or want prizes save for like I said maybe RTC and this new thread. That leaves those threads open to people wanting to trade their metallics, commons, CBs, etc for other non prize dragons.

It's a mess I certainly wouldn't want to have to wade through. Hell, I don't go into the Dragon Trading Thread because there's just too much stuff in there that I can't be bothered to sift through on the off-chance there *might* be something interesting. I say again, restricting prize haves to one thread is probably a very good idea; trying to restrict prize haves *and* wants to one thread.... I can't see it being pretty.

LaHaine, people need to learn to say "No" and mean it. There's not a lot that will halt the stampede other than prize owners taking much better control of the situation. Giving some thought to guidelines to post in profile and/or signature and making your wishes known quickly and clearly helps IMMEASURABLY.

I'm not saying the contrary, I helped a prize winner build a profile guideline for her prize first thing. I'm just saying a thread dedicated to low gen prizes wouldn't be that much of a bad idea and it's worth a try.

It can be for prize haves only as well, I think it would work well too. I've read a lot of posts throughout the years of people saying they never traded for a 2nd gen because they didn't want to bother the winners, that's why I also supported prize wants. But I can see the problem with nonsense trades.

It's a mess I certainly wouldn't want to have to wade through. Hell, I don't go into the Dragon Trading Thread because there's just too much stuff in there that I can't be bothered to sift through on the off-chance there *might* be something interesting. I say again, restricting prize haves to one thread is probably a very good idea; trying to restrict prize haves *and* wants to one thread.... I can't see it being pretty.

Then considerably what should be more important to restrict? haves or wants. I mean personally if I had to choose I would say wants. Haves I would believe trade easy enough.

I'm not saying the contrary, I helped a prize winner build a profile guideline for her prize first thing. I'm just saying a thread dedicated to low gen prizes wouldn't be that much of a bad idea and it's worth a try.

It can be for prize haves only as well, I think it would work well too. I've read a lot of posts throughout the years of people saying they never traded for a 2nd gen because they didn't want to bother the winners, that's why I also supported prize wants. But I can see the problem with nonsense trades.

Even the Holiday trading threads only stick to Holiday haves, Holiday wants can crop up wherever, and they're usually pretty mental but at least fairly short-lived. I just think trying to cram everything one could conceivably ask a low-gen prize for into one thread.... ugh. But I hope I made that point clearly enough already. *shrug*

I think I've only ever offered a 2G Shimmer on a trade post 2-3 times; they really aren't my main source of candidates as a rule. I realise others may do things differently, though. But if I'm in a mood to browse, I like to have at least an idea of what I'll find in a thread, be it rares, neat codes, pretty EGs, whatever. It improves the signal-to-noise ratio and helps me see things I might otherwise have passed over.

Touche Amazon. Touche. Then a Haves thread would probably move faster and allow some of those wants people to find those haves and maybe nix their crazy haves post and offer in the have trade. This seems organized enough. Wants would have to restrict their posting according to what they are able to offer.

This seems better. I'll give you that one and agree with you there.

i for one would really appreciate having a prize trade thread, as someone who doesn't really deal much in prizes it's a headache to go through pages of long- and short-lined shimmers and tinsels to try and find the one or two things relevant to my interests

The main point of having a specific thread dedicated to people offering for 2nd gens would be - rather than simply advising would-be traders to not PM new owners, when they feel that this is the only way to get in there fast enough - to have a place to redirect them TO, where *no other offers would impede theirs* to leave them feeling that their only hope of a 2nd gen was to get in there fast and first with a personal contact.

This is DC, the first and fastest clicker gets the dragon, the first and fastest ones PMing new owners get on the lists before they fill - only the latter is causing a specific problem and needs a more targeted approach in dealing with it.

If it would be possible that people could be officially advised on TJ's Announcement thread that it would be better to not PM new CB Prize owners and that 2nd gen offers could be posted separately on a special thread to try to attract browsing CB owners, where the odds would be better that they'll be seen by prospectively interested parties than they would be on regular trade threads, those wishing to trade may feel at least somewhat less desperate, especially with fewer people running lists.

This might be seen as assisting in an adjustment period, where 2nd gen Prize lists become no longer common, and where the idea of trading for 2nd gen Prizes becomes psychologically more divorced from the previous norm of fast, first personal contact giving the early bird worms. xd.png

Edit: would also like to again point out that this way, new Prize owners would not have to publicize their win by posting on a trade thread, but could choose a more private transaction between themselves and whoever was offering whatever they wanted to accept.

Edited by Syphoneira

Having a thread for offering prizes and only prizes would get my support. I don't know if you'd need to restrict it to prizes under X gen or not, but having them together where they're easy to find would be nice.

I don't think restricting the "wants" part has ever worked for general trading. You post what you have to trade in the thread it fits best and can ask for whatever you want, even if it's unreasonable. One thing though, if there's a thread to post prize "haves" people who are looking for prizes might tend to go there first to see if there's someone offering a prize they can afford.

The main point of having a specific thread dedicated to people offering for 2nd gens would be - rather than simply advising would-be traders to not PM new owners, when they feel that this is the only way to get in there fast enough - to have a place to redirect them TO, where *no other offers would impede theirs* to leave them feeling that their only hope of a 2nd gen was to get in there fast and first with a personal contact.

This is DC, the first and fastest clicker gets the dragon, the first and fastest ones PMing new owners get on the lists before they fill - only the latter is causing a specific problem and needs a more targeted approach in dealing with it.

If it would be possible that people could be officially advised on TJ's Announcement thread that it would be better to not PM new CB Prize owners and that 2nd gen offers could be posted separately on a special thread to try to attract browsing CB owners, where the odds would be better that they'll be seen by prospectively interested parties than they would be on regular trade threads, those wishing to trade may feel at least somewhat less desperate, especially with fewer people running lists.

This might be seen as assisting in an adjustment period, where 2nd gen Prize lists become no longer common, and where the idea of trading for 2nd gen Prizes becomes psychologically more divorced from the previous norm of fast, first personal contact giving the early bird worms. xd.png

Edit: would also like to again point out that this way, new Prize owners would not have to publicize their win by posting on a trade thread, but could choose a more private transaction between themselves and whoever was offering whatever they wanted to accept.

This. Idon't know if a separate thread should be made suggesting a mass PM from TJ or the system advising people that PM owners is not always welcomed and to please respect them by not flooding them with messages before they are able to fully decide if they would like to be contacted at all followed by a link to Amazong guide so everyone can read it over.

Why not do it the other way around?

Start a dedicated trade thread where people wanting to trade specifically for 2nd gens can post offers which owners can peruse, if they choose, to select whatever offers interest them?

At least for the first month or so, while people with the ability to make sizable offers are most desperate to try for new 2nd gens, and new owner's heads are still whirling.

This could be especially important for those getting antsy because they want to have a chance of getting a 2nd gen and normally contact new owners immediately (inadvertently causing nervous breakdowns among them,) to try to get on lists (which new owners are sensibly being advised not to start,) before the lists fill - and too-often then stagnate over the years, while the owners beg their dragons to produce shinies.

This would give would-be traders a special place to post - like the 'rares' and 'metallics' trade threads - where they'd be less quickly buried than they would on a regular trade thread, one where owners would know where to look, and ideally form a compromise between the inbox flooding overwhelming new owners and eager want-to-traders having to make do only with the regular trade threads.

Because not everyone reads the forums, profiles or sigs, a fair number of trade offers will undoubtedly still get through, but those aware of the issues might at least feel that they could have a better chance of having their offers seen in a dedicated thread perhaps mentioned in TJ's Announcement post? with encouragement to use that, rather than flooding new owners with offers?

Edit: probably not all CB Prize owners will want to publicly 'out' themselves, although they may still want to trade for dragons they couldn't previously obtain.

Doing it this way should avoid this, by not advertising on a public page that they'd won, whether or not they wanted to trade at that point, and by making for a more private transaction where desired.

Now this is an interesting idea. Having just one thread where people could post their 2nd gen prize wants trades/offers may be worth a trial period at least.

The only issue is that a lot of this is done by IOU because there are so many who want prizes and so few who have them, so I'm not sure if what I am personally imagining is completely workable.

I liked the idea of anything that might take a little stress of prize winners inboxes, though.

Well the haves would be easier to manage than the wants. I've been wanting to open one but am unsure of what would be necessary especially if it is determined that haves should be kept to that specific thread only. Containing wants into a single thread like Amazon pointed out will create a huge mess and its gonna be so much to wade through. If wants are contined in this thread I would say that wants that are for only prize offspring be contained there, wants that include prizes and other wants should be allowed to be posted in their appropriate threads.