zaverxi

Prize Dragon/Spriter Alt/HM list status

This was mainly geared towards prize winners, but it could also qualify for HMs and those with Spriter Alts, or other 'special' dragons out there.

Perhaps a solution would be, there's a thread for prize winners to post into, stating whether their lists are open or not. This would involve having someone be in communication with all those willing to make public these lists, and people offering super expensive trades would be able to see if there's any chance they could get one. I know a lot of prize winners have their list status posted either in their signature or profile, but what if there was one place they could all post?

Prize winners could post their status as

'Closed: do not PM'

'Closed: swaps only'

'Closed: slots negotiable, PM-ok'

'Closed: Breeding to AP/Departures Thread/glomping'

'Open: See trade threads for offers, no PMs please'

'Open: PM requests to be added to the end of list, non-negotiable'

'Open: PM requests to be added to the end of list, negotiable'

'Open: PM-ok'

The first one would obviously mean don't bother that person, either they don't breed anymore, or they don't want to trade and just want to enjoy their CB.

The second one, they're only wanting to prizeswap for other 2nd gens, so if you don't have a 2nd gen to trade, don't PM them.

The third one, people are ok with being PMed if they want to negotiate slots on their list, or if they want something specific and post what that is.

The fourth one I'm not sure if anyone does, but it's someone who's a genuinely nice person who just glomp gifts people, or breeds to the AP, or posts in the departures thread. Don't bother people who might end up gifting to YOU.

The fifth one, they still don't want PMs, but they do have babies they want to trade to people, and usually post specifically what they want. They can put in the trade thread exceptions for PMs, like for IOUs and the like, but that's their call.

The sixth one, people have an open list, and if you want to be put on the END of the list, they'll take PMs. Not negotiable for moving on up the list in an attempt to not be rude to those who've already paid and have waited long enough.

The seventh one, if you really knock someone out of the park with an offer that they really want, you could buy your way up the list. Their call.

The eighth one, PM away! They probably like talking to people. Might have a list, might not. Who knows?

Of course, no prize winner at all has to participate, and those who aren't on the forums don't have a problem with PMs so they wouldn't be included either. The one running this list should probably be a prize winner themselves, that way they'll be kept more 'honest' and wouldn't change someone's list/PM status without their permission, or wouldn't hide the status from the rest of us to give themselves a better chance at the trades.

Having the lists all in one place might possibly cut down on all these ridiculous trades being thrown about. It's not affecting the number of prizes, it's not forcing anyone to have to multiclutch if they don't want it, it's a better management system for what we have already.

I dunno if this would work or not, but that's my suggestion.

What difference would it make? What if the person doesn't post here? Why would people read it?

Let's say Person A gets a Silver Tinsel. I find that tinsel and see that one of their dragons tells me where to find them on the forums. If their signature/bio says nothing about their trade status, I go ahead and draft a PM stating what I would offer for offspring. But if person A is on this list and states there no trades, I don't know that.

Edited by sbowen

No point, people's profiles already take care of that.

I went looking up female CB Bronze Shimmer owners and female CB Gold Tinsel owners, to try to find someone to trade a Tinsel-kin. All had notes in their profiles (and all closed so didn't contact them).

For those it will stop, the profile is good enough. For those it won't.... well. The thread won't stop them either..

Cheers!

C4.

Lists are evil. Yes, completely. At least in my opinion and experience. I wouldn't want to see anything that would seem to encourage people making lists for their special dragons such as spriters' alts and prizes. Starting up such lists in the first place was a big mistake for me, because I felt obligated to breed my alts every week to try to fill people's lists. If you've accepted an IOU trade for their place on the list it's even worse because they've paid you for that egg and so you owe them. So, snap snap, breed as fast as you can, little dragons. I ended up feeling like my dragons weren't really my own.

And putting such things in my sig and / or profile seems to work well.

So, I don't particularly support this suggestion.

Lists are evil. Yes, completely. At least in my opinion and experience. I wouldn't want to see anything that would seem to encourage people making lists for their special dragons such as spriters' alts and prizes. Starting up such lists in the first place was a big mistake for me, because I felt obligated to breed my alts every week to try to fill people's lists. If you've accepted an IOU trade for their place on the list it's even worse because they've paid you for that egg and so you owe them. So, snap snap, breed as fast as you can, little dragons. I ended up feeling like my dragons weren't really my own.

And putting such things in my sig and / or profile seems to work well.

So, I don't particularly support this suggestion.

This.

(Also, I don't much like the idea of a one-stop shop for contact info for many prize owners/spriters/etc. - experience tells me it'd just make it easier for people to send speculative PMs anyway, regardless of list status.)

I'm going to have to agree with all of the above. I can't see enough people seeing and respecting this for it to be worth it. =X

If prize winners want such a thread, I won't stop them from making it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Lists are evil.

*snip*

If you've accepted an IOU trade for their place on the list it's even worse because they've paid you for that egg and so you owe them. So, snap snap, breed as fast as you can, little dragons. I ended up feeling like my dragons weren't really my own.

*nibble*

Yep, I feel lists are evil and I would completely agree with the feeling the dragons are no longer your own.

Where I am for trading status / on or off

promoting lists on such dragons is a bad bad plan.

I am still all for the trading idea of "I have an egg, I will offer it in a trade thread". At that point it is more of an auction.

I don't have any such dragon. But I'm going to go with no.

-Not everyone keeps lists

-The dragons belong to the owners, they can do what they want with their eggs and shouldn't be pressured otherwise.

-making it easier to harass the owners of such dragons is rather contradictory to the site's harassment policies.

-After reading horror stories for the last four years about dragons that refuse to produce even one offspring, lists should not be encouraged. The RNG mechanics makes it too difficult to be sure they can be fulfilled in a reasonable manner/time.

-If someone does have eggs/or open spots they can post them for trades or put that info in their signatures/profiles perfectly fine already.

I really just don't see the point in this. As others have stated, profiles work fine for this.

why do we need a thread? most if not all of the public prize owners on forum post something like this in their siggies and profiles already. not to mention the ability to add such a line into the dragons description as well

it would be redundant and imo, having a thread where all the owners are listed would make it easier for them to be harrassed or scroll stalked

I like the suggestion but, considering the "special" sprites owners that wouldn't want to be contacted, maybe we could start with a thread on "Do not PM me, I've no lists or they are full" only.

Why not do it the other way around?

Start a dedicated trade thread where people wanting to trade specifically for 2nd gens can post offers which owners can peruse, if they choose, to select whatever offers interest them?

At least for the first month or so, while people with the ability to make sizable offers are most desperate to try for new 2nd gens, and new owner's heads are still whirling.

This could be especially important for those getting antsy because they want to have a chance of getting a 2nd gen and normally contact new owners immediately (inadvertently causing nervous breakdowns among them,) to try to get on lists (which new owners are sensibly being advised not to start,) before the lists fill - and too-often then stagnate over the years, while the owners beg their dragons to produce shinies.

This would give would-be traders a special place to post - like the 'rares' and 'metallics' trade threads - where they'd be less quickly buried than they would on a regular trade thread, one where owners would know where to look, and ideally form a compromise between the inbox flooding overwhelming new owners and eager want-to-traders having to make do only with the regular trade threads.

Because not everyone reads the forums, profiles or sigs, a fair number of trade offers will undoubtedly still get through, but those aware of the issues might at least feel that they could have a better chance of having their offers seen in a dedicated thread perhaps mentioned in TJ's Announcement post? with encouragement to use that, rather than flooding new owners with offers?

Edit: probably not all CB Prize owners will want to publicly 'out' themselves, although they may still want to trade for dragons they couldn't previously obtain.

Doing it this way should avoid this, by not advertising on a public page that they'd won, whether or not they wanted to trade at that point, and by making for a more private transaction where desired.

Edited by Syphoneira

Start a dedicated trade thread where people wanting to trade specifically for 2nd gens can post offers which owners can peruse, if they choose, to select whatever offers interest them?

At least for the first month or so, while people with the ability to make sizable offers are most desperate to try for new 2nd gens, and new owner's heads are still whirling.

Well... somehow I think the thread for "no way" and the thread for "maybe" should be separate.

I don't think lists are ok. They are the death of every prize winner and they are evil to the core.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Not just a thread for "I want 2nd gens, here's what I can offer" but the OP or a few posts after the OP with prizes winners who willingly chose to add their names to the thread with statuses like

Available to Trade:

'No, do not PM'

'No, but swaps okay'

'No, Breeding to AP/Departures Thread/glomping'

'Yes, See thread for offers, no PMs please'

'Yes, See thread for offers, PM okay'

This way users know who will possibly frequent the thread and who has a better chance of trading with that prize winner. I mean the whole trade status isnt necessary but I would like to see a thread dicated to Prize related trades. A one stop prize related thread where users can be sure to catch the attention of Prize winners looking to trade rather than looking through a lake or sea of other offers thrown together with prize related offer.

Since I got my CB Bronze Tinsel - I had a note on my page stating information about my plans for her, and if I was taking requests or not.

The majority of players who contacted me respected and paid attention to this (I only got one or two after I stated my lists were closed)

Of course, a virus caused me to lose my copy of the list (and I had deleted my PM records) - so I changed my method of giving out 2nd Gens and Tinsel-kins to general gifting (with priority given to those without a 2nd gen. Tinsel and/or no tinsels).

To me, a thread for this would just be a redundant waste. We have the trade threads, our profiles and signatures - a dedicated thread for Lists is not needed and would just be a waste of time and space in my opinion.

Edited by ShorahNagi

Unless all prize trading was moved to this thread I'd say no to all of the proposal. I don't think putting any kind of list of prize owners anywhere is a good idea. If they have an egg to offer they can post a trade like normal. If they see a trade they like they can offer like normal. Having a list with their "trade status" on it is a bad idea. I'll just say right now that I would not use it, for my alt Shadow Walkers or any potential prize I might be lucky enough to own.

As has been said, if you collect a list of prize owners it's just that much easier for people to find them to bother them.

No to the original suggestion, for reasons already stated. But yes to this:

I'd like to see a thread like this. It would decrease the amount of PM's sent to winners and hopefully give the people wanting a 2nd gen a place to specifically trade for one, instead of cluttering the other trade threads with requests like this. And those who are too shy to PM winners would also have a chance at setting up a trade.

Edited by LaHaine

Unless all prize trading was moved to this thread I'd say no to all of the proposal. I don't think putting any kind of list of prize owners anywhere is a good idea. If they have an egg to offer they can post a trade like normal. If they see a trade they like they can offer like normal. Having a list with their "trade status" on it is a bad idea. I'll just say right now that I would not use it, for my alt Shadow Walkers or any potential prize I might be lucky enough to own.

As has been said, if you collect a list of prize owners it's just that much easier for people to find them to bother them.

I too would like to see all prize related traffic focused on a single thread if not as little threads as possible. Honestly, the metallic, the rare trading center, and whatever prize trading thread should be created are the only places that really should house these kinds of offers. Maybe not even the metallics but rare and prize trading thread would work.

I'd like to see a thread like this. It would decrease the amount of PM's sent to winners and hopefully give the people wanting a 2nd gen a place to specifically trade for one, instead of cluttering the other trade threads with requests like this. And those who are too shy to PM winners would also have a chance at setting up a trade.

Thing is, what would this list contain? An awful lot of the initial PMs I got were offering IOUs of stuff. IOUs are not allowed to be advertised in trade threads, which brings us right back to whatever people are already offering in the RTC and MTC being duplicated in such a thread...

(I also refuse to believe that it would stop people PM'ing prize owners - life just ain't that simple!)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Maybe not but still focus it in one area for prize owners and other prize traders (those who own 2nd - 4th gens) to look and find quicker trades for what they have or offer for what they specifically want.

In terms of IOU's people found a loop hole to 'accepting' them whith the whole "Purple line in my sig applies" and the purple line clearly states "I accept IOU's" So the IOU bit is moot :3

Maybe not but still focus it in one area for prize owners and other prize traders (those who own 2nd - 4th gens) to look and find quicker trades for what they have or offer for what they specifically want.

In terms of IOU's people found a loop hole to 'accepting' them whith the whole "Purple line in my sig applies" and the purple line clearly states "I accept IOU's" So the IOU bit is moot :3

Oh, I don't have an issue with all "Have: prize" trades being confined to one thread (in fact I increasingly think it would be a very good idea), I just don't think a thread full of whatever's in the RTC plus a bunch of posts that say "SEE MY SIGNATURE!!!" is going to benefit anyone, really.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Thing is, what would this list contain? An awful lot of the initial PMs I got were offering IOUs of stuff. IOUs are not allowed to be advertised in trade threads, which brings us right back to whatever people are already offering in the RTC and MTC being duplicated in such a thread...

(I also refuse to believe that it would stop people PM'ing prize owners - life just ain't that simple!)

It wouldn't stop it, but it would decrease some of it.

It's basically moving the trades for 2nd gens of this kind from MTC and RTC to this thread. Having a thread specifically for it would make it easier for owners to find what they want and help the newer players find out what people are paying for their prize. It would also give a chance for people to try to trade for a 2nd gen, without being shy or afraid of bothering the winners.

Regarding IOU's, a "*points to pink line in signature*" is what people usually do. But it would also encourage people to not make lists of IOU's and trade for stuff others have on-hand instead.

I just honestly don't think it would make a difference. If posting an offer on a thread was "enough" for most people, prize owners wouldn't face death by PM-drowning every year. Yes, I as mentioned right above your post, I know people usually refer to their sig for IOUs, I'm just not convinced that it's behaviour that should be encouraged.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Touche but there are many Have: Prize Want: *list* Allowing these and the Have:*list* Want: Prize to all come together in one thread would be a tad more ideal. Considerably I don't think there would be that many IOU posts, and even if there is a posibility, there could be a rule against it, like "A trade offer asking for a 2nd gen prize must contain a valid offer. If unable to provide offer please list your self as please PM to negotiate."

This way people like ND makers can also offer in and allow prize owners to contact them about a mutual IOU. Not that I am condoning IOU's but that should be negotiated and settled amongst the one offering and the one contacting.

[EDIT]

This coupled with hopefully TJ signal boosting the prize winners guide before winners are announced would be great. The guide could offer a link to this one stop prize trade thread as an alternative tocreating lists so prize winners feel more freedom to trade and offer their 2nd gens there.

Edited by AnanoKimi