Thuban

Trader's Canyon

Honestly, I've found way more five-leaved clovers than I've seen CB metals thus far. (Waaay over 100 clovers vs very few metals.) And I've picked up more six-leaved clovers than CB metal eggs. (Around a dozen or so clovers vs. less than half that in metals.) That's how rare CB metals are. (Unlike multi-leaved clovers, apparently. They're quite common around here.)

I want Trader's Canyon. SO much. Without grinding.

BUT - to all saying there are never any CB metals around - I have to say that I was playing at first on dodgy dial up and since then I play on very ordinary rural broadband. I have CAUGHT 8 CB silvers, two of them on dialup, and seen many silvers and golds (never caught a gold though) and was gifted, free and out of the blue, by very kind, regular players here, who do NOT always have scads of them on their scrolls, 2 pairs of CB golds. I didn't have to trade my first-born for anything. (I've never even seen a four-leaved clover, though... laugh.gif)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Honestly, I've found way more five-leaved clovers than I've seen CB metals thus far. (Waaay over 100 clovers vs very few metals.) And I've picked up more six-leaved clovers than CB metal eggs. (Around a dozen or so clovers vs. less than half that in metals.) That's how rare CB metals are. (Unlike multi-leaved clovers, apparently. They're quite common around here.)

This TBH. I don't remember the last time I SAW a cb gold. I only got them in trades, that too more like 1 trade per year or so. I have caught 1-2 cb silver to date I think, all other were trades. At least I never see the cb silvers dropping when I hunt. I would like traders canyon to address the cb gold issue at least.

I have a broadband connection.

I really like the idea of minigames. They could easily be made into fun little diversions, something to do on the site while your eggs are waiting to hatch.

I do think that minigames should definitely NOT be necessary, though, but one of two solutions would cover this, I think:

- Have only one shard limit, that covers both dragon-raising and minigames (a slightly higher limit than if it were just for dragon-raising, though, but only slightly).

- Have two separate limits, but different currencies so that the minigames earn you items that may be useful or simply fun. (e.g. the potions from 2015's Halloween.)

I really think that minigames should be implemented, because I and presumably others like me really want to spend more time on the site even when there's nothing we can do with our eggs. But because so many seem to hate them (which I respect, but don't understand) they shouldn't be in any way forced upon anyone. (Perhaps pointed out, maybe in the tutorial, but not forced.)

Again, mini games aren't needed for the core suggestion, and therefore, working them out is a bit of a waste of time. Adding mini games that stay around all the times, does take away from what this game has been for the past 8 years and so I can see the problem. There is room to add them and other features later, but I think most of us want the core mechanics worked out first, so we can start earning towards those dragons we are after.

I still think a minigames for items and dragon raising points for dragons is the best possible system. Maybe have it so that extra dragon raising points above and beyond the cap go to the items limit, so that the people who really really hate minigames could do extra dragon points and still have some credits available to buy items. Because I do understand some people just hating minigames, but that doesn't make the separate dragons and items mechanisms any less exciting to me.

Or... maybe only allow the use of mini-games during a holiday event to get some extra coin shards?

Again, mini games aren't needed for the core suggestion, and therefore, working them out is a bit of a waste of time. Adding mini games that stay around all the times, does take away from what this game has been for the past 8 years and so I can see the problem. There is room to add them and other features later, but I think most of us want the core mechanics worked out first, so we can start earning towards those dragons we are after.

Since I really like the idea of minigames for points, guess I will resurrect the original suggestion. If I can find it.

The thing with mini games is: If TJ says they can play, then I have ideas for things that could be put together fairly quickly. However, the main goal right now is to get the SHOP portion running, so that people can start earning points sooner rather than later. Mini-games got bumped to "easy things that can be expanded on after the shop has a chance to settle".

I see no reason to work out mechanics for mini games that do not exist right now. It was suggested that the extra stuff like items, and mini games and other fluff be trimmed off, to give the base shop a chance. The base shop is pretty much worked out, since pretty much everything that needed to be covered has been. A lot of the removed fluff was also fleshed out pretty far, so there is groundwork there that can be referenced when the time comes to start working on them.

I agree with the sentiment here. I haven't been able to follow the thread because I look away for a few days and suddenly it goes in a fully different direction. It seems like this idea is falling victim to "scope creep" (incrementally expanding the feature set more and more). I'd like to see more of a focus on the core mechanics, and stop there for now.

If a store is implemented, it's not going to have everything all at once, it's going to be "a store where you can buy things with currency" at first, with a few basic ways to get said currency.

So focus on answers to the following questions (you pretty much already have these), and leave everything else for "version 2":

What can you buy?

How do you buy it/how are prices determined? (note that this explicitly doesn't say "what are the prices")

How do you get currency to buy things?

What limitations (if any) exist on the previous points?

What are the possible expansion points? (just single sentences of what can maybe happen in the future, not fully-fleshed-out)

If you're good with those, then that's fine for now, but when I look at the first post, it's a massive essay in need of simplification.

This is exactly why this thread got stripped back down to the core idea, and why I am not concerned with the mini games or anything else right now.

Edited by Thuban

The problem is, we already have all those issues worked out. If we limit discussion to just those points, then the thread will just go back to 'yes support' and die back into the white noise of suggestions.

We're trying to find something to actually discuss, rather than letting the thread die xd.png

I haven't had the time yet to read all current 87 pages so hence this question:

Has TJ responded in any way about this suggestion? It would be helpful to know if he's missing things we haven't seen yet or seeing things which he thinks are impossible (or any other reason not be implemented) the way it is currently described.

I haven't had the time yet to read all current 87 pages so hence this question:

Has TJ responded in any way about this suggestion? It would be helpful to know if he's missing things we haven't seen yet or seeing things which he thinks are impossible (or any other reason not be implemented) the way it is currently described.

What Thu just quoted above was what TJ posted.

And yep.... Just marking time at this point, there's nothing to discuss because we already worked it all out. *shrug*

Cheers!

C4.

What Thu just quoted above was what TJ posted.

And yep.... Just marking time at this point, there's nothing to discuss because we already worked it all out. *shrug*

Cheers!

C4.

Ah, I had missed that was TJ's statement. Thanks smile.gif In that case I wish TJ would put an approval stamp on this suggestion so that we could perhaps open another thread to discuss the expansion laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But... but... what TJ said is kind of leading for this to stay stuck, as everything seems to be worked out already as much as we can do... According to TJ's comment as I understand it, now it's TJ's turn to make some final decisions and work on it and implement it (if ever) before the users can discruss more details and about the shop:(

BTW I also like the idea of the hypothetical mini-games being kept just during holiday seasons of any kind (Including Easter), in such case I may live well enough with those having an additional separate limit, but only in such case unsure.gif If such things like mini-games are to be a thing all year round I'd really get frustrated if they had additional separate limits... I'd either feel I have to force myself to play things I loathe regularly or to have myself loosing points I could have if I played those mini-games regularly (which was one of the primary reasons I left Flight Rising after just a few days)...

BTW I also like the idea of the hypothetical mini-games being kept just during holiday seasons of any kind (Including Easter), in such case I may live well enough with those having an additional separate limit, but only in such case unsure.gif If such things like mini-games are to be a thing all year round I'd really get frustrated if they had additional separate limits... I'd either feel I have to force myself to play things I loathe regularly or to have myself loosing points I could have if I played those mini-games regularly (which was one of the primary reasons I left Flight Rising after just a few days)...

I think with the mini games, we will probably use separate points from the dragons, to put towards the eventual BSA items and such. That way, nobody is forced to play the games to earn the dragons (just the items). Otherwise, they would simply go into the same cap with the normal game, where no matter which way you play (mini game or raising) you would earn the same points and cap at the same pace. The downfall of that though is that you have to make a choice between useful items, and the dragons you are saving for. The upside though, is there being room for all those silly fun BSA suggestions that dont quite make the cut on account of not working with the dragons they are applied to... being available, somehow. This is why I sort of leaned towards having the games apply to the items rather than the dragons..

When the time comes, it will get worked out (assuming of course that time does come). I have the other stuff saved offsite in various locations, just in case the time comes where its needed, even if its only as a discussion point.

I'm perfectly fine with the thread being stuck. It gets brought up in like every other prize suggestion ever, so I doubt people will forget this thread exists if it happens to sink. At this point, there isnt anywhere else for this to expand (that im seeing) within the core mechanics themselves.

If the minigames are only for the items, then I don't think they should have a limit. If someone wants to play minigames all day to turn their Falconiform hoard different colours, I say let them xd.png

Of course, if the items were useful (e.g. Incubate powder) Then it becomes a slightly different matter. While it would definitely be useful (especially around holidays *is grabbing all the pretties*), would it be a good idea to let people have a theoretically limitless supply of BSAs?

Perhaps useful BSAs and silly BSAs could be separated; either by two different currencies both earned through minigames, or by putting BSA items in the main store. Personally I prefer the former idea, as it allows all three things to be separate and have their own, appropriate, limits.

So if the main store has dragons bought with shards, what should potential BSA/item store currencies be?

Hmm... How about feathers, for silly items? Or shiny pebbles?

What would be the harm in letting someone have limitless Incubate powders? I already have essentially limitless Incubates. I've chosen to have enough red dragons on my scroll that anything I want incubated can be. Same with Influences. Mostly the same for Fertility.

All it would do with the items would give people who keep a limited scroll options. Instead of sidestepping their normal scroll goals so they have enough of the BSA dragon to do what they want they'd have to farm the items.

What would be the harm in letting someone have limitless Incubate powders? I already have essentially limitless Incubates. I've chosen to have enough red dragons on my scroll that anything I want incubated can be. Same with Influences. Mostly the same for Fertility.

All it would do with the items would give people who keep a limited scroll options. Instead of sidestepping their normal scroll goals so they have enough of the BSA dragon to do what they want they'd have to farm the items.

This basically. Right now, I have.... *goes to count em* 118 Red dragons. I don't remember the last time I ran out of incubates. Same for Influence.

So I see no reason to make those potions hard to get.

Cheers!

C4.

Even if this may be a bit off-topic, I'd like to suggest to add two new BSAs to the list of shard-awarding BSAs: Stun and Precognition.

Since I've been mentioning a store elsewhere, figured I should stay that this definitely has my support.

CB prizes I'm a little iffy on, but if everyone could get them the ridiculous trading prices for 2nd gens might come down over time.

Giving a way for new users to over time be able to get older CB holidays makes the game more accessible to them and leaves less people feeling left out.

Also, I know at least for me, I've been playing since '09. To this date I still have only been able o catch one CB Silver, and have no CB Golds. This is a preferable alternative to stalking the cave and spamming refresh every 5 minutes. The few times I've seen a Gold one of the 20-50 other people got it. I'd be content in it taking a long while to earn one in a way that's less luck-based.

As much as I like the idea of being able to get rewarded for each dragon I am able to raise, I thought DC wasn’t going to have an in-game currency. To be honest, I like it this way. On Tales of Ostlea I am constantly rushing around trying to have enough to pay for certain items or creatures and Magistream is a nightmare…

I would prefer if DC was not the site that made its players work far too hard just to be a special dragon, now if it was a shop-born dragon, then maybe. But…

It’s just not sitting well with me at all. Even more so because people often charge more than what a dragon or egg may be worth. That was my game in ToD, I would shell eggs or hatchlings at what I felt was a decent price...gosh I miss my little business.

I would prefer if DC was not the site that made its players work far too hard just to be a special dragon, now if it was a shop-born dragon, then maybe.

I personally would see a shop being more of a problem if there were to be store-exclusive breeds. It would be problematic if people had to use it, as opposed to it just being a tool for people and new members to get CBs of breeds they missed.

Also it was already stated that dragons gotten through this shop idea would not be tradable.

As much as I like the idea of being able to get rewarded for each dragon I am able to raise, I thought DC wasn’t going to have an in-game currency. To be honest, I like it this way. On Tales of Ostlea I am constantly rushing around trying to have enough to pay for certain items or creatures and Magistream is a nightmare…

I would prefer if DC was not the site that made its players work far too hard just to be a special dragon, now if it was a shop-born dragon, then maybe. But…

It’s just not sitting well with me at all. Even more so because people often charge more than what a dragon or egg may be worth. That was my game in ToD, I would shell eggs or hatchlings at what I felt was a decent price...gosh I miss my little business.

But the in-game currency isn't *needed* to play the game. It's completely optional. You can still get prizes and holidays and other rare dragons in the cave itself. However, if you are one of those players that just *needs* a CB of every breed, the store is a way to get that. Right now many players have *no* chance of getting CB Golds or Silvers, and no one has any way of getting CB prizes or past holidays. The store would be adding a way for people to get them, *if* people wanted CBs.

And it won't be rushing around trying to earn enough points. If you've read the thread you know that players can easily wrack up the fairly low max points per (week?) just by doing stuff they *always* do. Raising a dragon. Breeding a dragon. Hatching an egg. These are all things that people do anyways, and now they will be paid to do them!

And there is no "people" charging more then what a dragon may be worth. You aren't dealing with "people", you are dealing with the store, and the store has time-based prices that will not skyrocket for no reason.

To add on to what Marie19R said:

The currency is non tradable. The items from the shop, are non tradable. You arent really stuck in a position of having to do anything more than you already do as it is set up right now.

The caps per cycle are set low enough that anyone with a Bronze trophy should be able to hit them in a day, if needed. The shop wont be available to anyone that doesnt have a bronze trophy, but they earn points from the day they start playing. Pretty much anything you do when you log in, helps earns points. Breed an egg, get 2 points (one for breeding, one for getting the egg), hatch the egg, get another point, let the dragon grow, or freeze it, get another point. If you used fertility on the parents, there is another point.. influence and incubate both add another point. That is 7 points, right there, doing something you might already do. If we add the other two BSA's Olympe suggested adding to the list, you have another 2 potential points. Do that 7 times, you are halfway there. Once a person hits the 100 point cap, they are done. Theres no grinding or anything else to be done. Pretty much anyone who hunts the AP, will easily cap while hunting (from obtaining eggs). The breeder types will end up capping from that, the traders will hit their caps too. The people like me, who only log in once in awhile, could hit their caps just by splitting time between breeding, and hunting the AP.

At this time, there are absolutely no plans for a shop exclusive dragon. There are quite a few discussions throughout the thread that absolutely hated that idea. There was chatter of being able to participate in raffles through the store, but people were pretty against that too.