Thuban

Trader's Canyon

@olympe: Hatchlings don't display a "last bred date" even if they already have one, like holiday dragons which seem to get one as soon as they're laid.

Pricing: roll dice? Because whichever price *we* choose, it'll be based upon perception of rarity/ratios.

Another option: a pre-order feature which would determine prices entirely by player demand.

To be able to get your hands on an egg of type X, pre-order until date Y (say, the 25th of a given month). Once the day is there, further pre-orders cannot be placed until the next month, and a price depending on number of placed orders is being set. If you cannot acquire your points within the last week, your order is being dropped, otherwise, you can accept your egg at the end of the month. To avoid players placing a pre-order without any intent to get the egg (thus artificially raising prices), a pre-order fee could be deducted from them, no matter if they do get the egg or not.

This might need different pre-ordering timeframes depending on breed, like a half a year for prices and a month for cave-available things, a mere 2 or 3 days for any breed that regularly gets reshuffled in the :05's or spends more than an hour on the visible part of the AP, or somesuch.

Note that this idea comes from a flu-riddled brain ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Ruby, pre-order idea seems overly complicated.

If Golds = 6 months worth of points and you want the lowest priced things to be able to be bought at a rate of two per week, that would make 52 "lowest priced eggs" = 1 Gold. Does that seem reasonable? However, there isn't exactly a direct correlation between the price of a Gold and the price of a blocker in our current trading because for most of us there's never going to be a viable trade of 52 blocker eggs for a CB Gold egg. Plus one must remember that the Trader Canyon eggs are proposed to be locked to the purchaser's scroll. Here is my idea of pricing though:

Regular Dragons:

Tier One
  • Albino

Anagalis

Antarean

Balloon

Black (regular)

Black Capped Teimarr

Black Tea

Blacktip

Bleeding Moon

Blue-Banded

Bright Breasted

Brimstone

Brute

Canopy

Carmine

Cassare

Celestial

Coastal Waverunner

Dark Green (regular)

Daydream

Deep Sea

Dorsal (Purple)

Electric

Ember

Falconiform

Fever

Flamingo

Frostbite

Gemshard (blue)

Gemshard (green)

Gemshard (red)

Gold-Horned Tangar

Green

Guardian

Harvest

Hellfire

Horse

Imperial Fleshcrowne

Lumina

Magi

Mint

Moonstone

Sunstone

Nebula (red/green)

Nebular (blue/purple)

Neotropical

Nhiostrife

Nocturne

Olive

Pillow

Pink

Plated Colossus

Purple

Red

Red-Finned Tidal

Ridgewing (Purple)

Royal Blue

Royal Crimson

Sapphire

Seasonal (season determined by what is dropping in the cave)

Seragamma

Skywing

Speckle-Throated

Spirit Ward

Spitfire

Striped (white)

Storm

Spotted Greenwing

Striped River

Sun (rise or set determined by time of hatching)

Swallowtail

Terrae

Tri-Horn

Tsunami

Turpentine

Water

Water Walker

Waterhorse

Whiptail

White

Yellow-Crowned

Tier Two
  • Dorsal (Red)

Lunar Herald (color determined by moon phase at time of purchase)

Pyralspite (Almandine)

Pyralspite (Spessartine)

Pyralspite (Pyrope)

Ridgewing (Tan)

Stone

Sunsong

Undine (regular)

Xenowyrm (Astrapi)

Xenowyrm (Thalassa)

Xenowyrm (Mageia)

Xenowyrm (Chrono)

Xenowyrm (Gaia)

Xenowyrm (Pyro)

Tier Three
  • Blusang

Golden Wyvern

Ice

Magma

Thunder

Tier Four
  • Copper (Rainbow)

Copper (Verdigris)

Copper (Liver of Sulfur)

Tier Five
  • Gold

Silver

Tier Six
  • Prize (gold shimmerscale)

Prize (silver shimmerscale)

Prize (bronze shimmerscale)

Prize (gold tinsel)

Prize (silver tinsel)

Prize (bronze tinsel)

Holiday: All (I'm including Vampires here)

Limited Breeders: Priced as Tier One

• Drakes:
    • Glory drake (Day/night determined by time of purchase)

Glaucus drake

Greater Spotted drake

Howler drake

Ochredrake

Pygmies:
  • Crimson Flare pygmy

Dark Myst pygmy

Magelight pygmy

Misfit pygmy

Nilia pygmy

Pygmy

Seawyrm pygmy

Two-Headeds:
  • Duotone

Gilded Bloodscale

Hooktalon

Two-Headed

Two-Headed Lindwurm

Unbreedables: Priced as Tier Three
  • Blue dino

Cheese

Chicken

Green dino

Paper

Purple dino

Red dino

Yellow dino

Available Perhaps Through Alternate Pricing Methods: (Method options discussion possibly tabled for a later time)

• Geode

Hellhorse

Shallow Water

Soulpeace

Two-Finned Bluna

Ultraviolet

Black (alt)

Deep Green (alt)

Undine (alt)

Stripe (black)

Stripe (blue)

Stripe (green)

Stripe (red)

Not Offered by the Trader:

• Guardian of Nature

Neglected Dragon

*** Prices given based on a 300 point per week cap***

Tier One: 300 points - price fluctuation calculated per week of +/- 5% per dragon. Dragons calculated as underpopulated get a price reduction of 10% per 5% under ideal population before the fluctuation is calculated. This is behind-the-scenes math handled automatically by the code.

Tier Two: 1300 points - price fluctuation calculated per week of +/- 3% per dragon. Dragons calculated as underpopulated get a price reduction of 5% per 5% under ideal population before the fluctuation is calculated.

Tier Three: 2600 points - price fluctuation calculated per week of +/- 2% per dragon.

Tier Four: 3900 points - price fluctuation calculated per week of +/- 1% per dragon.

Tier Five: 7800 points - no price fluctuation

Tier Six: graduated pricing - no price fluctuation

• Bronzes: 10,000 points

Silvers: 11,000 points

Golds: 12,000 points

Holiday Pricing: 5,200 points - all holidays subject to existing scroll limits. No price fluctuation.

-------

Notes: I've used a simple method of deciding prices. Tier one is one week's worth. Tier two is one month's worth. Tier three is two month's worth. Tier four is three month's worth. Tier 5 is 6 month's worth. Holiday prices is set at 4 months.

Tiers are chosen based on what I think makes sense based on the concept. Others may not agree but this is my list.

I do not agree with the thinking that older holidays should be more expensive. One, I think it's best to treat all holidays the same, and two, the older holidays are the ones that need the new blood the most. People may be basing the idea of higher prices for older holidays on the idea that Hollies are so greatly desired. But I think those should be equally available for people to earn in the store. In fact, we need more of them than any other holiday, not less.

Also note that if we ever get rare or uncommon limited breeders their pricing would reflect that in their tier placement. (for example a gold pygmy would be tier 5.)

Fi, I really like your list overall, but think it needs a few changes.

First of all, silvers. Silvers seem to be much more common than golds (as CBs), and in the trade section, you see usually several silvers offered for one gold (CB each). So I feel that the silvers should be priced lower than golds, maybe about 4 months worth of points.

Second, gemshards. I think that you should be able to buy a random gemshard egg as a tier 1 egg for one week's worth of points, but that any particular (pre-chosen) color of gemshard should be tier 2 instead. Or maybe somewhere in between (2-3 weeks of collecting points). Similar for pre-chosen color of nebulas (purple/blue or green/red).

I think that holidays are prized too high, too. Because this way, you can only purchase up to 3/year - but you'd need 4/year for a complete set since Halloweens come in both genders. Besides, this would only allow you to get one year's worth of holiday dragons (one of each adult available) per year, which seems very limiting to me, too.

Also, IMHO, sunsongs belong with the other commons. I'd even say that GW and maybe even blusangs belong in tier two.

I will probably not be of much help with the actual breed-by-breed breakdown, since I'm not a trader and don't really know what anything is worth, but I have to say I'm liking the general pricings right now. 7800 points/shards/whatever sounds like a good price for golds, it's high enough that users will still have to work hard and be patient, but not so high that it literally takes a year or more to get.

As I said, something like this has been discussed when the ideas came up. Plus, why make it dependent on "being bred" instead of "has no offspring"? The latter might be more to the point, although a hatchling with a "last bred date" might give a wrong impression, too...

Agreed. I just copied what was already on the gender-swap suggestion.

On tiers... I think that following belong in Tier One:

Stones

Sunsongs

Undines (regular)

Golden Wyvernn

Also, I think that Blusangs belong in Tier Two.

ETA: I also think that the prices are too high and should be halved.

Edited by NotBambi

Fi, over-all I agree with your rankings, with these provisios:

These should be Tier 1, because they are easy to breed, indicating that they are being "hidden" by newer breeds:

Stone

Sunsong

Undine (regular)

These should be Tier 2, because again, they breed far easier than the Trios. These are just much-liked so are grabbed pretty quickly. Its much easier now to grab both of them than it is Trios.

Blusang

Golden Wyvern

I'd put these at Tier 3, because who's going to take the risk of grabbing them from the Cave.... if they are super cheap to get from the Canyon? Granted, you can "cheat" and see ahead of time what it is, but still. I think they need to be in with Trios.

Ridgewing (Tan)

Dorsal (Red)

Pyralspites, pyralspites..... Those are nasty, because Pyropes are super common but the others are nasty to get. So... While I'm not sure I agree with their placing, I can't think of a better place.

Pyralspite (Almandine)

Pyralspite (Spessartine)

Pyralspite (Pyrope)

These, I agree with the other poster. Tier 1 for a random color, but Tier 3 or 4 for a guaranteed color. I'd lean toward Tier 4, to encourage people to try to get the right color randomly. There's too much instant gratification in the world, but I've experienced RNGs that even after a dozen times... won't give you what you want.

Gemshard (blue)

Gemshard (green)

Gemshard (red)

Nebula (red/green)

Nebular (blue/purple)

Lunar Heralds I think should be considered like Gemshards and Nebulas: Tier 1 (because they are pretty easy to get) for colors determined by the moon phase. But Tier 3 or 4 if you want a color outside of the correct phase... because not everyone is good at tracking what time of the month it is.

Lunar Herald (color determined by moon phase at time of purchase)

I'm also inclined to combine Tier 3 and Tier 4, actually. Trios and Coppers. While Coppers are harder than Trios to get in CB version, they are easier to breed than Trios, so not sure what's going on, but.... I think they are more equivalent. Also, Coppers are more "in demand" than Trios, given how long Trios have been released.

Holidays, I'm thinking, should be stuck in with Tier 3 or Tier 4. And I agree, pricing for all of them should be the same, regardless of age. Or, fold Trios and Coppers into Tier 3 and put Holidays at Tier 4. Or switch it around, and put Holidays at Tier 3 and Trios / Coppers at Tier 4.

I'll think about how you have the pricing setup, but.... That's my take on where breeds should go.

Cheers!

C4.

Stones, Sunsongs and Undines aren't hidden by anything, I see them all the time in the cave.

Stones, Sunsongs and Undines aren't hidden by anything, I see them all the time in the cave.

Ruby, Fi had them listed in Tier 2, indicating that they are "less common". My point was that they are common just like the other Tier 1s, and if they aren't showing up then they are being "masked" by more-common dragons. Which happens all the time.

If you are seeing them, great! I haven't been hunting, the stagnant Biomes are too frustrating for me.

Cheers!

C4.

I'm not going to disagree entirely about silvers. However, I didn't want too many separate tiers. I could make tier 5 graduated as I did for prizes.

As for the rest of them. Stones are arguably the largest of the dragons. I feel as though their eggs ought to be a little harder to get than your average common. Plus back when there was no rarexrare breeding they bred more like rares than commons. I think they're where they belong for their concept.

Sunsongs: We don't have access to the original concept thread anymore but I'm pretty sure they weren't intended to be a dime a dozen. I figured no matter what their actual ratio these deserved to be elevated a little. That's my personal opinion.

Blusangs are also a matter of opinion, but considering how hard they were to get for awhile, and they're still not exactly common, I went with the original concept idea that they'd be rare. Of course, they're not as rare and special as metals so they don't get to be in tier 4 or 5.

My thinking for Undines goes along those lines too. I could maybe be persuaded but that's where I put them for now.

In the trade threads Golden Wyverns are classed as metals. I'm not putting a metal in tier one. I just don't think that fits them.

As for halving prices, remember that if they're underpopulated their prices would be lower with the way I proposed them. Maybe significantly lower. We need room for those lower prices.

The price I suggested for holidays is actually much lower than the prices that were being kicked around earlier. We don't want those so low we're practically handing them out free. They should be a little pricey in my opinion.

I rather like olympe's idea for Gemshards.

As for halving prices, remember that if they're underpopulated their prices would be lower with the way I proposed them. Maybe significantly lower. We need room for those lower prices.

I can't see anybody staying around for 11/12 years to get a m/f set of every Prize. And 4 CB Golds in one year still sounds reasonable.

What if the Tier One was not touched? Like this:

Tier One: 300 points.

Tier Two: 650 points.

Tier Three: 1300 points.

Tier Four and Holidays: 2600 points.

Tier Five: 3900 points.

Tier Six:

Bronzes: 6,000 points

Silvers: 7,000 points

Golds: 8,000 points

Anyway... just my two cents.

Hmm. I think some of that is still a little cheap, NotBambi. Let me think on it.

And I didn't see C4's post until after I'd replied. She does have some interesting ideas there. I didn't base what tier I put things in on how easy they are to get exactly. But maybe some things could stand to be slid around some.

The price I suggested for holidays is actually much lower than the prices that were being kicked around earlier. We don't want those so low we're practically handing them out free. They should be a little pricey in my opinion.
Not exactly. The idea was that you should be able to get one of each per year if you don't get anything else - at the very least. Since many of us are completionists and Halloweens do come in both genders (and often even two different sprites), I feel that you should be able to get two Halloweens plus one of Valentine's Day and Winter Holiday breeds. That's still quite pricey and doesn't allow you to get anything else that year.

GW may be classed as metals, but they're most definitely not rare by any stretch of the imagination, Maybe a little bit uncommon (tier 2), evidenced by how much rarer than royal blues they were just after their introduction.

Also, if my memory isn't too faulty, it wasn't stones that bred like rares (way back when rare x rare wasn't possible), but geodes that couldn't be bred with rares or holidays. (Remember, back then geodes could only produce offspring of their mate's breed unless said mate was another geode, a stone or a pebble.) But since geodes aren't a thing, I don't see that as a problem.

Maybe we really need a tier 0 for relatively new (common!) releases that still need to catch up to their ratios?

Another idea that I just had is a BSA package for beginners (no trophy), including one red, one magi and two pinks (one of each gender) that they could get at a discount to get them started. (I know that this means no fertility, no summon, no splash, no bite and no expunge and most definitely no earthquake - but who really needs them early on? Not to mention enrage/pacify and corporealize.)

This package could be extended to include a purple dragon for bronze trophy owners.

Edited by olympe

Hmm. I think some of that is still a little cheap, NotBambi. Let me think on it.

Frankly I'm mostly concerned about the price of the top tiers. It is scary to think how much time will be needed to get a male and female of every Holiday for people that joined, for example, in the last couple of years. Same for the Prizes.

Basically people wouldn't be able to get anything from the store (no commons, no un-commons, no potions) because they would be saving like crazy to get the expensive items. Honestly, why should we buy a Stone (that we can't trade) from the store when we can easily get one in the AP, instead of saving for stuff that we can't find in the biomes or in the AP (Holidays, Prizes) or is too hard to catch (i.e Golds)?

Done playing Kassandra. For now.

I personally don't think many people will buy the most common dragons from the store. It's only the stuff that is difficult to get from the cave that would be worth getting from the store. (other than the technical lineage stuff, where it matters if the dragon has "cave" listed instead of a biome) I do think the stuff that's easy to get should be at least dirt cheap.

Pyralspites, pyralspites..... Those are nasty, because Pyropes are super common but the others are nasty to get. So... While I'm not sure I agree with their placing, I can't think of a better place.

Why not do the same thing as with the Gemshards? I know there's a difference, that you can tell which color a Pyralspite is from the egg, but the Trader could still be programmed to sell randomly-colored ones.

I'm not going to disagree entirely about silvers. However, I didn't want too many separate tiers. I could make tier 5 graduated as I did for prizes.

As for the rest of them. Stones are arguably the largest of the dragons. I feel as though their eggs ought to be a little harder to get than your average common. Plus back when there was no rarexrare breeding they bred more like rares than commons. I think they're where they belong for their concept.

Sunsongs: We don't have access to the original concept thread anymore but I'm pretty sure they weren't intended to be a dime a dozen. I figured no matter what their actual ratio these deserved to be elevated a little. That's my personal opinion.

Blusangs are also a matter of opinion, but considering how hard they were to get for awhile, and they're still not exactly common, I went with the original concept idea that they'd be rare. Of course, they're not as rare and special as metals so they don't get to be in tier 4 or 5.

My thinking for Undines goes along those lines too. I could maybe be persuaded but that's where I put them for now.

In the trade threads Golden Wyverns are classed as metals. I'm not putting a metal in tier one. I just don't think that fits them.

I rather like olympe's idea for Gemshards.

I don't remember stones breeding like rares way back when, but we aren't talking about way back when. Nowadays, and it's been this way for quite awhile, stones are common. They are one of the breeds that I see annoyingly often in the cave, when I have the patience for the cave at all. And I find at *least* five a day in the AP. At least.

I'm unsure what Sunsongs were *supposed* to be, but they turned out common. Are we really going to set prices based on what was intended rather then what is?

Golden Wyverns belong at *least* in Tier 2. Just because they are a "metal" doesn't mean they are rare. I can breed multiple GWs with no problem at all, and I see at least one a day in the AP. Maybe not Tier 1, but definitely not Tier 3.

Edited by Marie19R

Pyralspite (Almandine)

Pyralspite (Spessartine)

Pyralspite (Pyrope)

I've been watching the Pyralspites since TJ made the announcement about the three alts having the same rarity. They seem to have been dropping on the same way. Everybody and their sisters had a bunch of Pyropes in their scrolls so there's demand for the other two. But, once a certain balance is reached, I think they will have the same value. And we will be saying, like we do now about Blacks and Sprites, "when the Almandines were rares."

Back in the early days, before rarexrare, before geodes - before a lot of stuff, when you bred stones with silvers you always got a refusal or no egg/no interest. There was one player (I forget who) who had a standing astronomical offer for any egg from silver x stone. Any. Because they didn't exist. Stone and gold did exist, though rarely produced anything either. But silver x stone produced nothing even if they didn't refuse. I tried. Many times. Because he was offering golds in exchange.

So when I say stones bred like rares, I literally mean they bred like they were rares, save they didn't automatically refuse. I know how easy they are to get now. I know about the geode breeding thing. That's not what I'm talking about.

And that's why I put them where I did.

Look, I know there's going to have to be some adjustments to that list. No problem. And we can talk about it. In addition, the final call on placement and pricing is going to be TJ's anyway. But yes, we should indeed voice our opinions and objections.

On the price of holidays, I know several people in the thread have had the opinion that holidays "should" be priced so people can get a full set each year if they want. The original proposal was something like one holiday a year, and that's all you could get. And I'm rather more in agreement with that than making them cheap. I don't think you should be able to buy four a year. One or two? Sure. Because they're special release dragons.

PF13 is probably right that normally people won't be spending their points on the lower tier eggs. They'll save up for the goodies at the top. I think one week's worth of points is cheap enough though, especially if some are discounted through underpopulation adjustments. In my opinion that is already "dirt cheap." Remember, this is not intended to replace normal cave hunting or breeding as the main source of eggs. We want people to have to weigh out and decide if a particular egg is worth those points before they spend them.

On the price of holidays, I know several people in the thread have had the opinion that holidays "should" be priced so people can get a full set each year if they want. The original proposal was something like one holiday a year, and that's all you could get. And I'm rather more in agreement with that than making them cheap. I don't think you should be able to buy four a year. One or two? Sure. Because they're special release dragons.

I see your point. But, at the same time, take in consideration that, the way you are pricing them people can get 2 Golds OR 3 Holidays OR 1 Prize in one year. That would make full sets completely out of reach for the majority in less than a couple of decades.

~ Actual prices: find a way to base pricing so that it is not ratio OR rarity based

One reasons I may seem to be taking people's objections to some of my placements lightly is this^. We aren't placing things in tiers based on how rare they are or what we think their ratios are. I'm trying to think, not just how hard something is to get (rarity) but what sort of price fits the breed based or the concept.

As far as making it possible for people to get full sets of anything I don't think we should. Well, holidays, maybe. With some work. But CB prizes are supposed to hard to get. They're special. Yes, we want them more available than just the small numbers that were given out in the raffles, particularly as there don't seem to be any more raffles. But I think a CB prize should be something prized on your scroll. If you want them badly enough to put the work and time into a full set, that's your option, but it shouldn't be a short term goal, in my opinion. It should take a few years just for the one set.

Maybe TJ will disagree with me and set the prices lower. Maybe you guys will convince me. In any case, we can discuss it but in the end whatever we come up with is just a suggestion for TJ anyway.

But CB prizes are supposed to hard to get.

No. They were not hard to get. People got them thanks to dumb luck. No hard work, no effort. So, forgive me if I can't share your opinion.

I'd prefer a couple of years (2) (or less) over a few (3 or so) for a basic set. Yes, some of us have been here a -long- time, but there are plenty more that just can't seem to stick it out that long, and a guaranteed few years of play just to get a basic collection of something will seem like an eternity. And remember that that two years for one of each prize is -only- if they spend every single point on prize dragons. A newbie especially is going to have lots of different temptations, even if I just limit that to the previous holidays that can only be obtained from the store. Plus there are all those delicious potions that people have suggested. Someone who gets tempted by other things could easily have it be a decade, and most likely more, before they get the 12th prize of a basic complete collection (both genders) with some of the other pricings suggested, and who knows if dragon cave will even be around that long!

Given all of the other things people will want at the store, I'd really prefer a single year of dedicated points for a basic prize set (6), just so that people don't have to dedicate all their points to them. If the prizes (and past holidays) are priced too high, I'm afraid all the other neat stuff in this suggestion would end up being ignored for a long, long time as people save up their precious points for the otherwise unobtainable. What's the point of even having potions to do neat stuff if nobody buys them because they want to be able to complete basic scroll goals like having one of each gender of each sprite? Yes, I'm sure there will be some who will be more entranced by new lineage potential from the potions than they will be by CB prizes (and old holidays they don't have), but I won't be one of them and I bet I'm not alone.

I'd prefer a couple of years (2) (or less) over a few (3 or so) for a basic set.  Yes, some of us have been here a -long- time, but there are plenty more that just can't seem to stick it out that long, and a guaranteed few years of play just to get a basic collection of something will seem like an eternity.  And remember that that two years for one of each prize is -only- if they spend every single point on prize dragons.  A newbie especially is going to have lots of different temptations, even if I just limit that to the previous holidays that can only be obtained from the store.  Plus there are all those delicious potions that people have suggested.  Someone who gets tempted by other things could easily have it be a decade, and most likely more, before they get the 12th prize of a basic complete collection (both genders) with some of the other pricings suggested, and who knows if dragon cave will even be around that long!

Given all of the other things people will want at the store, I'd really prefer a single year of dedicated points for a basic prize set (6), just so that people don't have to dedicate all their points to them.  If the prizes (and past holidays) are priced too high, I'm afraid all the other neat stuff in this suggestion would end up being ignored for a long, long time as people save up their precious points for the otherwise unobtainable.  What's the point of even having potions to do neat stuff if nobody buys them because they want to be able to complete basic scroll goals like having one of each gender of each sprite?  Yes, I'm sure there will be some who will be more entranced by new lineage potential from the potions than they will be by CB prizes (and old holidays they don't have), but I won't be one of them and I bet I'm not alone.

^^ This. 100% this. The voice of reason spoke.

IMHO the whole "must be hard to get" is quite ridiculous. Prizes? Dumb luck. Holidays? If someone was around when DC started and the majority of us had no idea that it existed, well... good for them. I'm OK with making the effort that owners of CB Prizes and CB Holidays didn't had to but there must be some balance. Years of grinding to get the same does not sound right.

Furthermore, choose that path and there is no need to have commons and uncommons in the store. Maybe the potions but I'm not too sure about those.

Personally, I don't think CB prizes were ever intended to be collected as "full sets". Their very name implies that they're supposed to be some kind of trophy, which don't come in sets but one at a time - if you have lots of talent and put in lots and lots of work and a bit of luck. (Okay, so it's lots of luck and very little work on DC, but you get the idea.)

As for the rest of them. Stones are arguably the largest of the dragons. I feel as though their eggs ought to be a little harder to get than your average common. Plus back when there was no rarexrare breeding they bred more like rares than commons.

Hah! I wish! Oh I sooo wish! https://dragcave.net/progeny/uA9O

They disagree with you.